• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP's & INFP's weakest function.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Still trying to establish my I/E preference.

I am hoping that some of you ENFP's and INFP's can dumb this down a bit for me =)

In what ways (exact examples, details, scenarios) of every day life do you see yourself using, or NOT using Si (for enfp's) and Te (for infp's).

I read the description, get a general feel to it.. but I need it explained more concretely.

I think if I can figure out what my weakest function is, I can resolve my dilema.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When INFP's don't use Te all that often it results in them being disorganized and unable to take proper criticism.

When ENFP's don't use Si all that often it results in them being forgetful and capricious.

OK, my examples suck, but maybe this test will yeild some insightful results?

http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

Hope that helps :)

sculpting

When you are totally stressed do you become neurotic about stacking piles of paper neatly or little spots on the floor? Also do you find you emo-snap-bitchslap people now and then? This would argue for Te-Si vs Si-Te.

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
As an INFP, my weakest function is definitely Te, though Si is one of my most used functions.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thanks Savage Idealist. I have taken the functions test before, and depending on my mood/current interpretation I've scored ENFP, INFP, ENTP, & INTP. Crazy huh!!!

I guess I just have a hard time with the questions because they seem SOO vague, and the answers will vary depending on the circumstances. There are only a few of the questions that I thought.. yes.. i undoubtedly do that ALL the time. The rest of them were like 'in this sitauation yes, in this situation no'.

For instance,

"Feel strongly that something is good or bad?"
Ya, I feel strongly that murder and rape is bad. Who doesn't? Cheating on your taxes or smoken a doobie from time to time... ? Not soo much...

"Recognize and usually adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along."
Who doesn't do this? Pretty sure most humans look for similarities in others and try not to throw a house party on the day their most beloved grandparent died.

"Conceive of a comprehensive plan to maximize progress toward multiple goals at once."
I put a recumbent bike underneath my desk to exercise while working from home, and usually research school stuff online while working. How are they defining comprehensive? I haven't yet found a way yet to take over the world while rolling sushi.

" Gain a profound realization from a mystical state or sudden release of emotions."
If I dollar for every friend of mine thats shroomed and had a "profound realization" I'd be rich.

"Engage life's magical moments and meaningful coincidences as they happen."
I don't even understand what is being asked here. Am I destined to marry this guy because he's a capricorn and my last five boyfriends have been capricorns? OR is the fact that my dad spun off a Chicago highway the SAME night my mom had a heart attack a coincidence. If he hadn't of totaled his truck, he would have never been there to take her to ER, and she probably would have died. Hmmmm.

"Feel attracted to the symbolic, archetypal, or mysterious."
Well, I don't sport a tramp stamp of some primitive African tribe on my lower back, but I do like dream interpretation and that movie Pi...

"Apply leverage to a situation to solve a problem impersonally using minimal effort."
I will sometimes bring a carmel machiatto to my boss every morning for a week before asking him for time off during 'crunch time,' but have refrained from letting him know that he once bought coke from my friends dirt bag brother.

"Freely enjoy doing what you want for your own personal happiness."
Ofcourse not! I freely enjoy doing what I want for others own personal misery.

"Merge and feel intimate oneness with other people."
Some people are cool, and some are turds. I just assumed that was life.

"Take apart something to figure out the principles on which it works."
I often take my vacuum apart to see whats clogged up in there..,. but I've never pulled a tranny out to see whats-alls involved.

"Trust what emerges from brainstorming."
Am I brainstorming with some MIT professors, or some psuedo-intellectuals at PETA?

I think you know where I'm going with this. It's just INCREDIBLEY VAGUE. I was hoping to find some real life examples of the functions.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Huxley3112
Thanks Savage Idealist. I have taken the functions test before, and depending on my mood/current interpretation I've scored ENFP, INFP, ENTP, & INTP. Crazy huh!!!

Your welcome :yes:

Yeah, all Np's use Ne and are crazy, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I just have a hard time with the questions because they seem SOO vague, and the answers will vary depending on the circumstances. There are only a few of the questions that I thought.. yes.. i undoubtedly do that ALL the time. The rest of them were like 'in this sitauation yes, in this situation no'.

For instance,

"Feel strongly that something is good or bad?"
Ya, I feel strongly that murder and rape is bad. Who doesn't? Cheating on your taxes or smoken a doobie from time to time... ? Not soo much...

"Recognize and usually adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along."
Who doesn't do this? Pretty sure most humans look for similarities in others and try not to throw a house party on the day their most beloved grandparent died.

"Conceive of a comprehensive plan to maximize progress toward multiple goals at once."
I put a recumbent bike underneath my desk to exercise while working from home, and usually research school stuff online while working. How are they defining comprehensive? I haven't yet found a way yet to take over the world while rolling sushi.

" Gain a profound realization from a mystical state or sudden release of emotions."
If I dollar for every friend of mine thats shroomed and had a "profound realization" I'd be rich.

"Engage life's magical moments and meaningful coincidences as they happen."
I don't even understand what is being asked here. Am I destined to marry this guy because he's a capricorn and my last five boyfriends have been capricorns? OR is the fact that my dad spun off a Chicago highway the SAME night my mom had a heart attack a coincidence. If he hadn't of totaled his truck, he would have never been there to take her to ER, and she probably would have died. Hmmmm.

"Feel attracted to the symbolic, archetypal, or mysterious."
Well, I don't sport a tramp stamp of some primitive African tribe on my lower back, but I do like dream interpretation and that movie Pi...

"Apply leverage to a situation to solve a problem impersonally using minimal effort."
I will sometimes bring a carmel machiatto to my boss every morning for a week before asking him for time off during 'crunch time,' but have refrained from letting him know that he once bought coke from my friends dirt bag brother.

"Freely enjoy doing what you want for your own personal happiness."
Ofcourse not! I freely enjoy doing what I want for others own personal misery.

"Merge and feel intimate oneness with other people."
Some people are cool, and some are turds. I just assumed that was life.

"Take apart something to figure out the principles on which it works."
I often take my vacuum apart to see whats clogged up in there..,. but I've never pulled a tranny out to see whats-alls involved.

"Trust what emerges from brainstorming."
Am I brainstorming with some MIT professors, or some psuedo-intellectuals at PETA?

I think you know where I'm going with this. It's just INCREDIBLEY VAGUE. I was hoping to find some real life examples of the functions.

Good points to all of those, tests can be way too vague sometimes. As for real life examples, I think Orobas was on the mark with her examples, but I'll try to give my own examples through personal experince: when I get stressed out and turn to Si (which in my case is fairly well developed) I tend to blindly rely on old methods of doing things, or dredging up small yet significant bits of information during arguments. With INFP's, it becomes critical rants concerning peopel's weaknesses or flaws, ad hoc attacks on others and what not.

Also it's important to remember that E's get their enegery from the outer world and social contact, opposite for I's, so where do you get your energy?

If you need any more assistance with your type I'll be more than glad to help. :)

KDude

ENFP.

If anything, for your brand of scenario creation on the cognitive questions. Also, that was a pretty long post. And ENFPs will talk and hash things outloud more, I think.

This is all very scientific. So take my word for it, you're ENFP. :cheese:

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think that I have a harder time in general with sensing vs thinking. Here are some things I notice..

1) I can work at a company for years and not be able to recall the color of the walls or carpet.
2) I have had my cat for 3 years (love her dearly) but If I had to recall the pattern of stripes on her back, I couldn't =(
3) I have almost no ability to recall a conversation verbatum. Its always the general feel/undertone to what happened.
4) When working on a computer, programs etc.. I NEVER pay attention to the artistic symbol for an icon. Like, you know how it will show you pics of a mailbox, or printer, or whatever.. I NEVER look at that, and base my navigation thru memory of 3 over in this direction, highlight the icon for the words.
5) I pay little attention to logos and catch phrases. I could go to a store my whole life and never recall their logo. (Isn't that terrible!!!!?)
I just dont pay attention to most surrounding sensory input. Someone could come in my house and move all my trinkets around and I'd probably NEVER realize it.

Are these Si?

By the same token, I have a pretty good sense of direction. I can remember where certain stores are in the city I live in. Like I KNOW theres a Wallgreens here, here, and here. I am excellent and giving directions, but not taking them.

I am curious if any ENFP's could give me concrete examples of HOW they use Te when they do. I could ask an INTJ, but I'm sure since they use it ALL the time, theres might look a bit different ya know.

If I go to a store, and I know what items I'm gong to get... I will map out in my mind how to go through the store without having to repeat tracks too much. I can also map out streets really well..

You know those questions where it will say something like " You start out going North 2 blocks, turn east 3 blocks, now go west 1 block, and south 3 blocks.. where are you? " I get those really quick. Is this Si? or Te? Or something else.....

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think that I have a harder time in general with sensing vs thinking. Here are some things I notice..

1) I can work at a company for years and not be able to recall the color of the walls or carpet.
2) I have had my cat for 3 years (love her dearly) but If I had to recall the pattern of stripes on her back, I couldn't =(
3) I have almost no ability to recall a conversation verbatum. Its always the general feel/undertone to what happened.
4) When working on a computer, programs etc.. I NEVER pay attention to the artistic symbol for an icon. Like, you know how it will show you pics of a mailbox, or printer, or whatever.. I NEVER look at that, and base my navigation thru memory of 3 over in this direction, highlight the icon for the words.
5) I pay little attention to logos and catch phrases. I could go to a store my whole life and never recall their logo. (Isn't that terrible!!!!?)
I just dont pay attention to most surrounding sensory input. Someone could come in my house and move all my trinkets around and I'd probably NEVER realize it.

Are these Si?

Yes. It would seem that your Si is probably your worst function.

By the same token, I have a pretty good sense of direction. I can remember where certain stores are in the city I live in. Like I KNOW theres a Wallgreens here, here, and here. I am excellent and giving directions, but not taking them.

I am curious if any ENFP's could give me concrete examples of HOW they use Te when they do. I could ask an INTJ, but I'm sure since they use it ALL the time, theres might look a bit different ya know.

Te all the way.

Well, when I need to use Te, it's usually when I' m arguing about something I need a tool to help me win that argument. The Te hammer bashes other peoples arguments, destroying them based on their weak premises, or notices logical fallacies and attacks them. Or if I need to plan on how to do something in the most effceint way possible Te is there to assist me with rational planning. It's a tert funtion though, since I only use it when needed, and otherwise rely primarily on Ne and Fi.

If I go to a store, and I know what items I'm gong to get... I will map out in my mind how to go through the store without having to repeat tracks too much. I can also map out streets really well..

You know those questions where it will say something like " You start out going North 2 blocks, turn east 3 blocks, now go west 1 block, and south 3 blocks.. where are you? " I get those really quick. Is this Si? or Te? Or something else.....

Again, more Te.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I should add, that one of my greatest weaknesses is that when I am socialzing, I will get into deep discussions about somethng, telling a story or whatever.. i DO NOT pay attention to my immediate surrounding.. like AT ALL. That waitress that just dropped a plate in the corner, I don't see it. I might hear it and for just a second know what happened, but I dont stop to watch. I dont pay attention to who just entered into the restaraunt, or what song is playing on the speakers. This is specifically while interacting with someone. If I am bored, and observing.. then I will notice all the different things going on.. just cant do it while socializing.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I should add, that one of my greatest weaknesses is that when I am socialzing, I will get into deep discussions about somethng, telling a story or whatever.. i DO NOT pay attention to my immediate surrounding.. like AT ALL. That waitress that just dropped a plate in the corner, I don't see it. I might hear it and for just a second know what happened, but I dont stop to watch. I dont pay attention to who just entered into the restaraunt, or what song is playing on the speakers. This is specifically while interacting with someone. If I am bored, and observing.. then I will notice all the different things going on.. just cant do it while socializing.

I guess this would be an indication of low Si? I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think this has anything to do with type.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ya, maybe that is not a functions thing, and more of a me being weird thing. Wouldn't be the first time lol.

I think I am going with ENFP for the time being. Reading through different forums has been quite helpful.
The more I read INFP's trying to describe their processes, or idiosyncracies, the more I think.. wow that is so humble and pleasant and ideal.. that is DEFINATELY not me =P

Unless INFP's find themselves frequently quite comfortable speaking their mind, no matter how off the wall or ill received it is.. I don't see how I can be one. Maybe I am a bad mannered INFP? HAHAHA.

So ya, I'm going with ENFP until some Master typology gurus start clearly pointing out how I'm not.

KDude

Well, I'm not exactly pleasant or ideal as some INFPs either (not that I'm nasty or anything... I know what you mean though. Same goes for some ISFPs. If I compare too much, I feel like throwing in the towel, so to speak). That said, I think you sound closer to extrovert.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I kick ass at Te, but I suck at Si (my life would be WAY easier if I was better at it lol)

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
I love using my Si and my Se. It's fun. Like a drug. Touching, feeling, knowing, understanding. Flesh, carpet, drapes, wall paper, fabric, bricks, sand paper, sex.

I think the scales of strength are wrong.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ya, maybe that is not a functions thing, and more of a me being weird thing. Wouldn't be the first time lol.

I think I am going with ENFP for the time being. Reading through different forums has been quite helpful.
The more I read INFP's trying to describe their processes, or idiosyncracies, the more I think.. wow that is so humble and pleasant and ideal.. that is DEFINATELY not me =P

Unless INFP's find themselves frequently quite comfortable speaking their mind, no matter how off the wall or ill received it is.. I don't see how I can be one. Maybe I am a bad mannered INFP? HAHAHA.

So ya, I'm going with ENFP until some Master typology gurus start clearly pointing out how I'm not.

Yeah your definitely an ENFP ;)