User Tag List

View Poll Results: Find the most suitable box for Such Irony

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • ISTJ

    2 6.25%
  • ISFJ

    2 6.25%
  • INFJ

    4 12.50%
  • INTJ

    0 0%
  • ISTP

    1 3.13%
  • ISFP

    0 0%
  • INFP

    4 12.50%
  • INTP

    18 56.25%
  • ESTP

    0 0%
  • ESFP

    0 0%
  • ENFP

    0 0%
  • ENTP

    0 0%
  • ESTJ

    0 0%
  • ESFJ

    1 3.13%
  • ENFJ

    0 0%
  • ENTJ

    0 0%
123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 58

  1. #1
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default Is Such Irony an atypical INTP or something else? Vote please.

    In light of my recent thread of not feeling significant on the forum I have to wonder if I'm really an INTP. I don't know many INTPs who would give a damn about that. I have other reasons to doubt INTP. If you don't mind reading longer posts, I've referenced my type doubts in this thread:

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...intp-what.html


    Maybe I'm just in a Ti/Si loop. FWIW, I find I have quite a bit in common with ISFJ even though they only share introversion in common with INTP.

    I'm finding that I identify some with the SJ temperament. I am very security oriented and dependable. I have a strong need to feel like I belong. Where I differ is that I'm not all that traditionally minded and a hell of a lot more theoretical and less practical.

    So please vote in my poll as to what you think my best fit type is.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  2. #2
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    You don't seem all that different to an INTP friend of mine - even with the un-T like aspects (he does the exact same things! Its crazy!). He has a strong emotional influence within him but doesn't fit the F style at all. So I would say it is still quite possible you are a INTP.

    I have been lately beginning to question the stereotypical image I have of INTPs. The do seem to be the most NF like of the NTs.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  3. #3
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    FWIW, I find I have quite a bit in common with ISFJ even though they only share introversion in common with INTP.

    I'm finding that I identify some with the SJ temperament. I am very security oriented and dependable. I have a strong need to feel like I belong. Where I differ is that I'm not all that traditionally minded and a hell of a lot more theoretical and less practical.


    Toldja we were a great deal alike.

    I was raised by ISFJs, married one, and nowadays when I'm with NTPs I find myself being the most SFJ thing there, and when I'm with SFJs, I'm the most NTP.

    I was the oldest in my family and felt like I had to take care of everyone. So... responsible, dependable, take commitments seriously, HATE not being able to keep my promises if situations change. And I want badly to fit somewhere, even though I feel like I never do.

    But no, I'm not traditional. I'm about the future, and change, and I want to do what works after I model everything in my head. I can act inside the box, and I see a need for order in order to increase efficiency sometimes, but it's just a pretense; I'm not a box person at all, actually. I can coexist with box people for long periods of time, but often become very frustrated by them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #4
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    In light of my recent thread of not feeling significant on the forum I have to wonder if I'm really an INTP. I don't know many INTPs who would give a damn about that. I have other reasons to doubt INTP. If you don't mind reading longer posts, I've referenced my type doubts in this thread:

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...intp-what.html


    Maybe I'm just in a Ti/Si loop. FWIW, I find I have quite a bit in common with ISFJ even though they only share introversion in common with INTP.

    I'm finding that I identify some with the SJ temperament. I am very security oriented and dependable. I have a strong need to feel like I belong. Where I differ is that I'm not all that traditionally minded and a hell of a lot more theoretical and less practical.

    So please vote in my poll as to what you think my best fit type is.
    Interestingly, my main reason for thinking you're not an INTP... isn't your display of concern for not feeling significant, but rather your usernames. I mean, come on... Paradigm Shift and Such Irony? You're clearly an INJ! Those do not sound like INTP usernames. INTPs can be sarcastic and apathetic, but they don't seem to be that into paradigm shifts or irony. Every INJ I've met usually is, though.

    That thread WAS the reason I chose INFJ over INTJ, though... along with the fact that T and P were the two weakest letters in your type when you displayed it, and I know that stressed INFJs can sometimes look like INTPs. I know that's kind of a long shot, but there it is.

    A lot of people will probably rationalize why you're an INTP, though... once you've chosen a type, confirmation bias tends to result in making you keep it. Especially since you've chosen type 5 on the Enneagram and admitted to being Socionics LII, people will be quick to assure you that you're an INTP, even though that assumption might have influenced the other choices. Incidentally, INTP is also the type where the most variations of expression are accepted, because a lot of people are eager to define it inclusively due to complicated forum history.

    Being more theoretical and less practical than an ISFJ, can be a very strong sign that you're INFJ, also.

    But again, I'm certain that all the "INTPs" will come on here and tell you they identify with you, so... ah, well. I guess it doesn't matter.

    I think that I should point out that I'm a believer in functions over dichotomies when typing, though. I don't believe in the concept of an INTP with a weak T, because Ti is their dominant function. You could have an INTP with a weak N, but not a weak T. I believe that an INTP with a "weak T" is actually one of the following types:

    1. A very lazy INTJ.
    2. A very antisocial/depressed INFJ.
    3. An INFP who mistakes their Fi for Ti.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    In light of my recent thread of not feeling significant on the forum I have to wonder if I'm really an INTP. I don't know many INTPs who would give a damn about that. I have other reasons to doubt INTP. If you don't mind reading longer posts, I've referenced my type doubts in this thread

    I'm an INTP and I care very much about being of significance, not to just people on the forum, but to everyone I meet, I don't think it's really a matter of you being an INTP or not, I do think perhaps you and I may have a highly developed sense of Fe, which is atypical, and which would make us 'care more' about what people think. But I also think, in terms of the enneagram, why we care so much; I'm an sx/so, so I have this need to sort of make an impact and develop deep connectsins and when that doesn't' happen, I feel rather horrible, like i didn't do anything meaningful or that i'm not 'good enough' somehow for people. But I believe that need to feel of significance, is due to the social variant, I notice it among my so/sx INFP girlfriend and my other so/sx INFP best friend, there is this so- drive (though they are both 4w3's) to charm and use that as a tool to not feel rejected, and I, a 5w4, sort of just hope I'm not too off putting or detached enough, it's a really horrible feeling, but I completely relate. But no, I don't think it negates your status as an INTP at all. I say embrace it, and use it as an advantage, I'm surrounded by INFPs (which I've really come to love btw, <INFPs reading this, congratulation yourselves, you're awesome!>) So I think that may awaken the Fe along with being a strong 5w4 with an so variant, it makes you care more and want to engage in the world, and for me, when interacting with people, I can appear as an INFJ on a superficial level but any probing deeper, I'm SUCH an INTP, it isn't funny!. So don't worry

  6. #6
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    I thought you were more Fe... Perhaps switching the Tertiary with your Quartenary. Or perhaps you might be more of a 9 enneagram which would suggest a higher Fe score. It's not terribly common, but it's reasons why you might still be an INTP. I do see INFJ... I can't give you any clear reasoning behind that just sense it, hahaha.

  7. #7
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    I've just come to the conclusion earlier today, that I simply don't know enough on INTP's... I'm not properly equipped to vote.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  8. #8
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    I don't really get INTP vibes from you, whether in posting or in the vids you posted in the typing thread...my guess would be ISxJ, just based on the similar vibes of friends and people I know IRL. I don't get much of a P read from you.
    Something Witty

  9. #9
    Senior Member ScorpioINTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    In light of my recent thread of not feeling significant on the forum I have to wonder if I'm really an INTP. I don't know many INTPs who would give a damn about that. I have other reasons to doubt INTP. If you don't mind reading longer posts, I've referenced my type doubts in this thread:

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...intp-what.html


    .
    I didn't vote, since I don't know you well enough to judge, nor am I am MBTI guru. I would say though, that there is nothing unusual about wanting to be/feel significant. INTP's are well...just different. We want to be respected for out knowledge, talent, insight, expertise or whatever it is we are good at or value in ourselves. We just don't want to shout from the rooftops and tell everyone how great we are! It's an internet forum. We are an avatar and some text and maybe some photos for the more daring. By all means in real life or whatever, an INTP would want to feel significant/valued or else why bother investing the energy at all in the first place? We are probably just more likely to say fuck it and stop altogether if our voices are never heard and just lurk. We do usually cherish fewer deeper relationships than having a zillion friends that are mere superficial aquaintances.

    If we take time to make a well thought out (and thoroughly re-read post) and no one takes notice or aknowledges it in any way, well who wouldn't feel insignificant?
    We might just deal with it in a different way than others might. We do not either want to be shoved into the spotlight against our will and subject ourselves to polarizing people and criticism. We would rather have a logical discussion or reason than a heated debate. Check the emotions at the door please!

    Praise and support are welcome too.

    I have no doubts about being an INTP myself and I have felt insignificant or unheard here and other places. But hey, I've been here a month maybe, and have connected with some cool people, just in a more private way, which is more my preference in real life. I'm more into one on one interactions than group outings in life anyway.

    As far as MBTI...it really just means your preference for interacting with the world. It doesn't mean you are all the time a N or T and never exhibit traits of other types. Part of the reason people explore MBTI is not just to recognize your strengths but to build on your weaknesses. INTPs can be social at times and exhibit extraversion in the social sense, but it is ultimately draining.

    Oh yeah and someone mentioned something about wanting to belong to a group. We all do. I am not of the herd mentality with most things, but I have a hard time finding a niche to belong to sometimes. I don't fit into any one set of personality type (jock, burnout, artsy fartsy, hippie, nerd etc). I usually identify with different things in each subcategory, but not everything across the board.. I get along with most people, but I don't have a posse so to speak. I miss that. It's just harder for us to belong to something. That was probably part of my motivation to come online and seek out other INTPs.

    Disclaimer: Excuse the term "we" as I don't mean to say I speak for all INTPs, it just makes for easier writing.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

  10. #10
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Interestingly, my main reason for thinking you're not an INTP... isn't your display of concern for not feeling significant, but rather your usernames. I mean, come on... Paradigm Shift and Such Irony? You're clearly an INJ! Those do not sound like INTP usernames. INTPs can be sarcastic and apathetic, but they don't seem to be that into paradigm shifts or irony. Every INJ I've met usually is, though.
    You're right in that the usernames sound more Ni. Yet I've always seen myself as more of an Ne than an Ni user. I know on function tests, I score as excellent use of Ne and just average on Ni. Maybe someone needs to rewrite those Ni descriptions. They make them sound like they are all psychic and mysterious and symbolic and totally removed from reality. I feel more down to earth than that.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_World_As_Will View Post
    I'm an INTP and I care very much about being of significance, not to just people on the forum, but to everyone I meet, I don't think it's really a matter of you being an INTP or not, I do think perhaps you and I may have a highly developed sense of Fe, which is atypical, and which would make us 'care more' about what people think. But I also think, in terms of the enneagram, why we care so much; I'm an sx/so, so I have this need to sort of make an impact and develop deep connectsins and when that doesn't' happen, I feel rather horrible, like i didn't do anything meaningful or that i'm not 'good enough' somehow for people. But I believe that need to feel of significance, is due to the social variant, I notice it among my so/sx INFP girlfriend and my other so/sx INFP best friend, there is this so- drive (though they are both 4w3's) to charm and use that as a tool to not feel rejected, and I, a 5w4, sort of just hope I'm not too off putting or detached enough, it's a really horrible feeling, but I completely relate. But no, I don't think it negates your status as an INTP at all. I say embrace it, and use it as an advantage, I'm surrounded by INFPs (which I've really come to love btw, <INFPs reading this, congratulation yourselves, you're awesome!>) So I think that may awaken the Fe along with being a strong 5w4 with an so variant, it makes you care more and want to engage in the world, and for me, when interacting with people, I can appear as an INFJ on a superficial level but any probing deeper, I'm SUCH an INTP, it isn't funny!. So don't worry
    I'm not worried, I'm just curious.

    I'm not totally sure of enneagram stacking but I'm leaning towards social- it would certainly explain my obsession with significance in the group! I identify equally with both wings. I used to think 5w6 but now I've seen alot more 4 in myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    I thought you were more Fe... Perhaps switching the Tertiary with your Quartenary. Or perhaps you might be more of a 9 enneagram which would suggest a higher Fe score. It's not terribly common, but it's reasons why you might still be an INTP. I do see INFJ... I can't give you any clear reasoning behind that just sense it, hahaha.
    I have a strong 9 enneagram component. And come on- I want the clear reasoning. Don't just tell me you sense it. (I think that statement suggests more INTP than INFJ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I don't really get INTP vibes from you, whether in posting or in the vids you posted in the typing thread...my guess would be ISxJ, just based on the similar vibes of friends and people I know IRL. I don't get much of a P read from you.
    Interesting. I haven't had anyone guess ISxJ yet. On the average I score around 80% N on tests but I know that tests are only so reliable. I'm finding that I fit alot of the SJ stuff and the NT stuff, which is making things complicated. I think ISFJ is more likely for myself than ISTJ since I think I'm a Ti/Fe user. The problem with ISFJ is I don't see myself as having strong enough Fe auxilary and having too strong Ne which is ISFJs inferior function. I do have strong Si though per function tests.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




Similar Threads

  1. Am I an INFJ, INTJ, or something else entirely?
    By puddle_master in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-10-2016, 11:52 PM
  2. Am I INTP or something else?
    By RaptorWizard in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 02:55 PM
  3. I am just an atypical INTP or what?
    By Such Irony in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 10:56 AM
  4. ENTP or INTP? Or something else?
    By pseudoku in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 09:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO