First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Is your interest in the theory more of an confident ego-preferred thing, for its own sake, or is it just something you are using in passing because you heard it was good for growth; or perhaps just for "relief"? The latter would be more a Sensor's perspective.
    Definitely the former. I'm happy to just sit around pondering the theory without having a strong need to put it to practical use.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Such Irony,

I was not sure where to reply, since there are two threads.

I do not know, but we seem to be a lot alike, at least by the comparison between F and T in the other thread.

I posted over at INTPc for years, and I made a few threads like this one. There was not as much feedback! Of course, mine are maybe not so well written.

I'm currently considering that I'm INFP for various complex reasons. Yet, some people have convincingly questioned whether I was really NT, so now I'm confused again.

Yet, the F descriptions you mentioned all apply to me as well: (1.) sensitivity to criticism (2.) need for harmony (3.) need for praise (4.) sensitivity to the old man's firing.

I don't want to derail with my own questions, but I'm confused by the notion that the strongest function for INTP, Ti is supposed to be the weakest for INFP. And the opposite: Fi is supposed to be the weakest for INTP, but strongest for INFP.

Worse, I can of course skew the test. I can put on either hat. Also, it seems, I start asking myself, "What would an INFP or INTP say to this question?", when I post.

I go back through all my life, and I think I had lots of Fi moments and Ti moments. If a child is siting in a patch of clover alone, how can you tell if they are INTP or INFP? If they refuse to play with the other kids, then they are probably Introverted. This is from age 6.

If a child is playing a game, but looses all interest (or fun) once rules about the game are made, then I'd guess they are P.

Yet, it's difficult to say if they are F or T. It depends on what they are thinking, perhaps. I was trying to find 4 leaf clovers for my mom because she got excited when I found them. I guess the "F" is imagining her happiness, and seeing her press them in a book. And I guess the simultaneous Ti aspect is trying to find the best system for finding 4 leaf clovers. What is the correct angle of view? How can you mark where you've search or not?

Thus, even in one elementary school recess, I believe I see two diametrically opposed internal processes operating nearly simultaneously.

Anyway, I apologize for going off on a tangent about myself, but it seems the F and T question is difficult for me to answer as well. How can it even be answered?

I don't think the MBTI is true in some ways.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

The 8th place function is not necessarily "weakest". Beebe's order is not about strength. Lenore Thomson's order sheds more light on this, where Ti/Fi are actually in third place, and the "right brain alternatives" for each other's types. So in some respects, they are more alike than the inferior or the dom. with the attitude reversed.

This is why INP's will often struggle between T/F. Even on the Nardi test, those functions come out strong.

INTP and INFP are both "Behind the Scenes", which is a very sensitive Interaction Style. For the INTP, this is simply tempered by the "toughminded" T (so they can put on a tough exterior), where for INFP's, it's not; but sensitivity (including acts of consideration for others) is really not a product of the functions. The functions simply determine how much of an emotional investment you have in those things, to the point that you develop a particular perspective around them.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Do the video challenge.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I vote atypical INTP.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Do the video challenge.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1314888

I feel so friggin' ugly and awkward in these. I hope to make some new and hopefully better ones soon.
    INtp
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

Toldja we were a great deal alike.

I was raised by ISFJs, married one, and nowadays when I'm with NTPs I find myself being the most SFJ thing there, and when I'm with SFJs, I'm the most NTP.

I was the oldest in my family and felt like I had to take care of everyone. So... responsible, dependable, take commitments seriously, HATE not being able to keep my promises if situations change. And I want badly to fit somewhere, even though I feel like I never do.

But no, I'm not traditional. I'm about the future, and change, and I want to do what works after I model everything in my head. I can act inside the box, and I see a need for order in order to increase efficiency sometimes, but it's just a pretense; I'm not a box person at all, actually. I can coexist with box people for long periods of time, but often become very frustrated by them.
    And I said that I was like both of you!

This where MBTI falls short. I think that sometimes we have develop in ways that can obscure the framework and make it seem like we don't fit the personality type at all.

I think you are INTP with lots of J power.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1314888

I feel so friggin' ugly and awkward in these. I hope to make some new and hopefully better ones soon.
    I can definitely tell that you're a J from them. You really don't seem P at all. My gut impression from them would be... IxTJ? But if you felt awkward, you might have come across as colder than normal.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    The 8th place function is not necessarily "weakest". Beebe's order is not about strength. Lenore Thomson's order sheds more light on this, where Ti/Fi are actually in third place, and the "right brain alternatives" for each other's types. So in some respects, they are more alike than the inferior or the dom. with the attitude reversed.

This is why INP's will often struggle between T/F. Even on the Nardi test, those functions come out strong.

INTP and INFP are both "Behind the Scenes", which is a very sensitive Interaction Style. For the INTP, this is simply tempered by the "toughminded" T (so they can put on a tough exterior), where for INFP's, it's not; but sensitivity (including acts of consideration for others) is really not a product of the functions. The functions simply determine how much of an emotional investment you have in those things, to the point that you develop a particular perspective around them.
    I know on that functions test, I score high on both Ti and Fi. Actually if I remember right Fi was a little higher than Ti. Ne and Si were also strong. Te and Ni were average and Se and Fe were low. I think I have better developed Fe than that test indicates though. Some of the Fe questions were such that as a strong introvert, I just could not relate to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I can definitely tell that you're a J from them. You really don't seem P at all. My gut impression from them would be... IxTJ? But if you felt awkward, you might have come across as colder than normal.
    What stood out as particularly J? I'm also confused now because you indicated INFJ previously. I probably come across as more T on video because I'm not comfortable being all emotionally expressive unless I'm at ease. I was nervous doing the video but hey, my curiosity got the best of me.

Maybe I'm just one of those hard to type people and I should give it a rest for awhile.

There are two things I can conclude:

1. I'm an introvert of some sort.
    2. I'm not in the SP temperament.
    INtp
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    What stood out as particularly J? I'm also confused now because you indicated INFJ previously. I probably come across as more T on video because I'm not comfortable being all emotionally expressive unless I'm at ease. I was nervous doing the video but hey, my curiosity got the best of me.
    Well, I still think that your answers seemed FJ, but your behavior in the video seemed more TJ.

The main things that seemed TJ were... the stiffness and coldness of your behavior, and also how ordered and organized it was. You were very monotone, almost robotic.

The thing is, I've also been accused of being robotic when I'm nervous, so I'm not sure. If you were nervous, that throws things off, because you need to be seen in a relaxed state, not a tense one.

It's also possible that you have some sort of issue that leads to flattened affect, despite actually being a more sensitive person.