• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introversion or Extraversion?

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
I would want some input from you to clarify the matter about my introversion/extraversion.

In tests I result introverted, but I don't know if it's true.
Can you give me your opinion?

For example, with my family, girlfriend, close friends, I am very talkative, I take initiative, I am at easy in talking about all things, play with words, debating, brain storming.
With other people I am introverted because I contain myself very often and I don't speak my mind because I was educated by my ISFJ mom to be always respectful with people, not give bad impression, don't talk too much, don't say stupid things and so on, because I was a child spontaneous and abrasive.

So that education give me a double personality that I have mantained in my entire 30-something life. Quite crazy with close people and generally contained with others.
But being crazy with close people comes spontanous and I feel good, being contained with others make me tense.

Then, I feel good being alone, and I stay alone a lot of hours, but I need always some stimulation, books, news, computer, surfing the web, music.
If I stay too much only with my own thought I get depressed easily. Even if I don't talk with anyone, for example, I need watching people, watching new things, walking in the middle of a city, go to the cinema or theatre. I get upset if I am ill and I can't go out for a walk in a couple of days. I couldn't live in the country or in an isolated place always with the same things.

Also, i could be introverted because I like my privacy, I don't like unexpected visit at home. I don't like small talk about stupid things with people I have nothing in common. But as I said, I like talking or chatting with people and arguments I like and I get energized.

i don't know how write more now... What you think? Ask something if you want.
Thanks.

Noon

Are you initiating or responding? Active or reflective? Expressive or subdued? "How you relate to the environment" or "how the environment applies to you"?

http://www.interactionstyles.com/

Behind-the-Scenes, Chart-the-Course, Get-Things-Going, or In-Charge?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for sharing, Eric. I think I might be a supine temperament type. Most of that stuff applied to me.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
as an "introverted extravert" - that is, a socially quiet person who nevertheless focuses more on the external world, i like the definitions for cognitive introversion/extraversion better than social I/E. basically, the cognitive I/E split asks, do you focus more on:

the world external to your mind - incoming information and/or outgoing speech, actions, etc. that impact the world?

or

the world internal to your mind - how you store and assess information and how you make judgments about yourself?

ENxPs in particular tend to end up being more socially-introverted cognitive extraverts while ISxPs in particular seem to end up being more socially-extraverted cognitive introverts.

Sunny Ghost

You sound like an introvert with possible Se or Te aux. Se, because you enjoy outside stimulation, though somewhat of a closed off type. Te, because you enjoy debating and brainstorming.

I'd personally type you as ISTP from what I read. Ti/Se. But the other possibility is INTJ, in my opinion.

Introverts are generally pretty extroverted when around people they are very comfortable with. Sometimes it's just fun to act before you think, and it gives you room to tap into whatever extroverted auxiliary function you may have.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
http://www.interactionstyles.com/
Behind-the-Scenes, Chart-the-Course, Get-Things-Going, or In-Charge?

I relate with Chart-the-Course highly.
Then sometimes In-Charge.
The last Behind-the-scene and Get-Things-Going for opposite reasons, because they seem too much to the extreme in calmness patience for best results/process the former, and the too much enthusiastic, participative, catalyst the latter.
Thanks.

Could I be Supine Temperament? Don't know. I somewhat relate, somewhat doesn't. The description seems too much passive...
Also, I don't want to be approached by most of people (My inner circle is enough) and I really don't respond a lot in recognition, guilt, punishment for example. Thanks.

the world external to your mind - incoming information and/or outgoing speech, actions, etc. that impact the world?

or

the world internal to your mind - how you store and assess information and how you make judgments about yourself?

The second one. Thanks.

I'd personally type you as ISTP from what I read. Ti/Se. But the other possibility is INTJ, in my opinion.

I have a strong N, mainly Ni but also Ne are pretty high. In tests function I results INTJ, but in tests about letters P/J I results often INTP because I am quite lazy, procrastinating, sometimes don't finish what I start and I change my mind.
So sometimes I think I could be also an ENTP, who are descripted as the most introverted of extraverted.
I am a lot confused, but I am quite sure that one between INTP, ENTP or INTJ is my type. Really I have never considered other types for me. Thanks.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for sharing, Eric. I think I might be a supine temperament type. Most of that stuff applied to me.
OK! Again, if you're INTP, then that's Behind the Scenes, and it would fit. It would also explain your slogan of being a "nicer T". Most INTP's are probably Phlegmatic, and more socially indifferent ("take 'em or leave 'em") than a Supine.

Wondering if this also fits:
http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-of-Control/choleric-control.htm (this is the leadership and responsibilities area and would correspond to the Keirsey temperament, where the first one was social skills or Interaction Style).

I relate with Chart-the-Course highly.
Then sometimes In-Charge.
The last Behind-the-scene and Get-Things-Going for opposite reasons, because they seem too much to the extreme in calmness patience for best results/process the former, and the too much enthusiastic, participative, catalyst the latter.
Thanks.

Could I be Supine Temperament? Don't know. I somewhat relate, somewhat doesn't. The description seems too much passive...
Also, I don't want to be approached by most of people (My inner circle is enough) and I really don't respond a lot in recognition, guilt, punishment for example. Thanks.
Well, if you say you identify with CtC (and "highly", at that) or In Charge, then that suggests Melancholy or Choleric.
These are the "directive" temperaments, and the thing with them, is not that they never respond to people, but that people must meet a criteria for them to respond. (Where the Supine or Sanguine will respond to just about anyone who approaches them, and the Phlegmatic, again, is "take 'em or leave 'em").

So apparently, your criteria is those people close to you. Being an "introvert" with others can mean either low expressiveness or responsiveness (or both). Ultimately, responsiveness is what we really want, while expressiveness is what we say we want.

In this system, you can also be inbetween in expressiveness. (Basically ambiverted; between CtC and In Charge) In the social area that would be these two:
http://www.pastoral-counseling-cent...Inclusion/phlegmatic-melancholy-inclusion.htm
http://www.pastoral-counseling-cent...f-Inclusion/phlegmatic-choleric-inclusion.htm

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Well, if you say you identify with CtC (and "highly", at that) or In Charge, then that suggests Melancholy or Choleric.
These are the "directive" temperaments, and the thing with them, is not that they never respond to people, but that people must meet a criteria for them to respond. (Where the Supine or Sanguine will respond to just about anyone who approaches them, and the Phlegmatic, again, is "take 'em or leave 'em").

So apparently, your criteria is those people close to you. Being an "introvert" with others can mean either low expressiveness or responsiveness (or both). Ultimately, responsiveness is what we really want, while expressiveness is what we say we want.

In this system, you can also be inbetween in expressiveness. (Basically ambiverted; between CtC and In Charge) In the social area that would be these two:
http://www.pastoral-counseling-cent...Inclusion/phlegmatic-melancholy-inclusion.htm
http://www.pastoral-counseling-cent...f-Inclusion/phlegmatic-choleric-inclusion.htm

Thanks Eric,
I read all the "Inclusion reports" and it's difficult choose for sure which apply me the most. Many reports have a lot of similitude.
But I could say that I see myself a lot in the description with melancholy-association.
Maybe the first one is "Phlegmatic/Melancholy".
But it depends for the situation, I can see myself also in "Melancholy" and "Melancholy/Phlegmatic"
Thanks, bye.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
OK! Again, if you're INTP, then that's Behind the Scenes, and it would fit. It would also explain your slogan of being a "nicer T". Most INTP's are probably Phlegmatic, and more socially indifferent ("take 'em or leave 'em") than a Supine.

Wondering if this also fits:
http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-of-Control/choleric-control.htm (this is the leadership and responsibilities area and would correspond to the Keirsey temperament, where the first one was social skills or Interaction Style).

I've bolded the parts of choleric that particularly fit and italicized what partly fits.

Control: Choleric

Control asks two questions:

1. How many people do I want to control?
  2. How many people will I allow to control me?
General description of people who are Choleric in Control:

1. Extremely independent.
  2. When undertaking a task, he/she wants complete control over it, tolerating very little interference from other people.
  3. Must have a great deal of control over the lives and behaviors of other people, but will tolerate almost no control over his/her life and behavior.
  4. Very strong willed.
  5. Must receive recognition for accomplishments.
Choleric Control
potential strengths which should be encouraged, used and developed:

1. Makes quick, intuitive decisions.
  2. Very good leadership capabilities -- the number of decisions and responsibilities this person is capable of handling would make other temperaments cringe.
  3. Very confident in his/her abilities.
  4. Willing to take on leadership role, to solve problems and move forward.
Choleric Control
Potential weaknesses which should be considered and dealt with:
(Reminder: Cholerics have a very hard time admitting they might be wrong, so it is difficult for them to consider their weaknesses.)

1. Very controlling (may be bossy.)
  2. Highly susceptible to burn out because of overload.
  3. Capable of undertaking very poor behaviors in order to maintain control of others -- such as intimidation, yelling, etc.
  4. May associate with people who can be dominated and then end up resenting their weakness
  5. Perfectionist -- highly critical of self and others, especially when his/her perfectionistic standards are not realized.
  6. Externalizes his/her anger and uses it to lash out at others.
  7. May have a cruel, abusive temper -- becomes angry if controlled, told what to do, or if someone interferes with his independence.

Overall choleric doesn't fit me that well. I could care less about controlling others and I'm pretty even tempered. I don't seek leadership but can be a good leader when the situation entails it.

Sunny Ghost

Hmm... I'm thinking INTJ enneagram 4w5 or 5w4, maybe? That would fit in with relating to melancholy...

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Here's the supine stuff. Once again, I've bolded what's particularly true for me and italicized stuff that sorta fits.

Inclusion: Supine

Inclusion is the need to establish and maintain a satisfactory relationship with people in the area of surface relationships, association and socialization (parties, social gatherings, and people who come in and out of our lives every day).
Inclusion asks two questions:

1. How many people do I approach for socializing?
2. How many people do I want to approach me for socializing?

General description of people who are Supine in Inclusion:

1. Is an extrovert although he/she appears to be an introvert (I've had several people tell me they're surprised that I claim to be an introvert)
2. Approaches very few people for association and socialization, but wants to be approached by others for association and socialization
3. Has indirect behavior -- looks like someone who doesn't want to socialize, when in fact he/she wants very much to socialize and is waiting for someone to initiate
4. Is slow-paced -- works at a steady, slow pace and tends to lose momentum as the day progresses, requires a change of environment in order to "recharge" his/her energy
5. Responds to both the threat of punishment and the promise of reward -- will change his/her actions in order to gain recognition and approval or to avoid negative consequences
6. Highly responsive to emotional rewards such as recognition and acceptance -- also highly responsive to emotional punishments such as guilt, rejection and loss of recognition
7. Suffers a great deal of anxiety if forced to be away from people often or for long periods of time (quite the opposite. More likely to suffer anxiety if I'm forced to be around people for long periods of time)

Supine in Inclusion:
Potential strengths which should be encouraged, used and developed:

1. Is relationship-oriented -- relates well to people and can perform tasks very well as a means of establishing and maintaining relationships
2. High intellectual capacities -- a thinker

Supine in Inclusion:

1. Appears to be cold and withdrawn when in reality he/she is not -- it is simply a defense against the fear of rejection
2. Becomes angry if not recognized for services performed
3. Has strong fear of rejection -- when he/she feels rejected, insulted or offended, his/her anger is internalized, causing it to remain unresolved. This anger is referred to as "hurt feelings."
4. Has low self esteem and constantly searches the environment for messages to reaffirm that he/she is not a valuable person
5. May be moody -- mood swings respond to the environment: a change of environment will change his/her mood

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've bolded the parts of choleric that particularly fit and italicized what partly fits.

Control: Choleric

Control asks two questions:

1. How many people do I want to control?
  2. How many people will I allow to control me?
General description of people who are Choleric in Control:

1. Extremely independent.
  2. When undertaking a task, he/she wants complete control over it, tolerating very little interference from other people.
  3. Must have a great deal of control over the lives and behaviors of other people, but will tolerate almost no control over his/her life and behavior.
  4. Very strong willed.
  5. Must receive recognition for accomplishments.
Choleric Control
potential strengths which should be encouraged, used and developed:

1. Makes quick, intuitive decisions.
  2. Very good leadership capabilities -- the number of decisions and responsibilities this person is capable of handling would make other temperaments cringe.
  3. Very confident in his/her abilities.
  4. Willing to take on leadership role, to solve problems and move forward.
Choleric Control
(Reminder: Cholerics have a very hard time admitting they might be wrong, so it is difficult for them to consider their weaknesses.)

1. Very controlling (may be bossy.)
  2. Highly susceptible to burn out because of overload.
  3. Capable of undertaking very poor behaviors in order to maintain control of others -- such as intimidation, yelling, etc.
  4. May associate with people who can be dominated and then end up resenting their weakness
  5. Perfectionist -- highly critical of self and others, especially when his/her perfectionistic standards are not realized.
  6. Externalizes his/her anger and uses it to lash out at others.
  7. May have a cruel, abusive temper -- becomes angry if controlled, told what to do, or if someone interferes with his independence.

Overall choleric doesn't fit me that well. I could care less about controlling others and I'm pretty even tempered. I don't seek leadership but can be a good leader when the situation entails it.
Well, the Supine on the social level greatly tempers the Choleric, so since you will be slow to approach people (on the surface social level) to begin with, then the more aggressive Control behaviors will be greatly toned down. (The Choleric in Control descriptions would go along most typically with Choleric in Inclusion. These profiles are based on pure temperament combos). This seems to happen with most INTP's who select from these profiles.

But it's the key strong will, control over your one's own tasks, perfectionism and independence that still come through, and match the NT preference (You can even see this stuff in Keirsey's descriptions).

Here's the supine stuff. Once again, I've bolded what's particularly true for me and italicized stuff that sorta fits.

Inclusion: Supine

Inclusion is the need to establish and maintain a satisfactory relationship with people in the area of surface relationships, association and socialization (parties, social gatherings, and people who come in and out of our lives every day).
Inclusion asks two questions:

1. How many people do I approach for socializing?
2. How many people do I want to approach me for socializing?

General description of people who are Supine in Inclusion:

1. Is an extrovert although he/she appears to be an introvert (I've had several people tell me they're surprised that I claim to be an introvert)
2. Approaches very few people for association and socialization, but wants to be approached by others for association and socialization
3. Has indirect behavior -- looks like someone who doesn't want to socialize, when in fact he/she wants very much to socialize and is waiting for someone to initiate
4. Is slow-paced -- works at a steady, slow pace and tends to lose momentum as the day progresses, requires a change of environment in order to "recharge" his/her energy
5. Responds to both the threat of punishment and the promise of reward -- will change his/her actions in order to gain recognition and approval or to avoid negative consequences
6. Highly responsive to emotional rewards such as recognition and acceptance -- also highly responsive to emotional punishments such as guilt, rejection and loss of recognition
7. Suffers a great deal of anxiety if forced to be away from people often or for long periods of time (quite the opposite. More likely to suffer anxiety if I'm forced to be around people for long periods of time)

Supine in Inclusion:
Potential strengths which should be encouraged, used and developed:

1. Is relationship-oriented -- relates well to people and can perform tasks very well as a means of establishing and maintaining relationships
2. High intellectual capacities -- a thinker

Supine in Inclusion:

1. Appears to be cold and withdrawn when in reality he/she is not -- it is simply a defense against the fear of rejection
2. Becomes angry if not recognized for services performed
3. Has strong fear of rejection -- when he/she feels rejected, insulted or offended, his/her anger is internalized, causing it to remain unresolved. This anger is referred to as "hurt feelings."
4. Has low self esteem and constantly searches the environment for messages to reaffirm that he/she is not a valuable person
5. May be moody -- mood swings respond to the environment: a change of environment will change his/her mood
So 1-5 you have italicized for "partly true". In which way do they not fit? Too "wanting", or not "expressive" enough?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks Eric,
I read all the "Inclusion reports" and it's difficult choose for sure which apply me the most. Many reports have a lot of similitude.
But I could say that I see myself a lot in the description with melancholy-association.
Maybe the first one is "Phlegmatic/Melancholy".
But it depends for the situation, I can see myself also in "Melancholy" and "Melancholy/Phlegmatic"
Thanks, bye.
Well then, it looks like some sort of Chart the Course type (IST or INJ).
Now, you could check Control, and that would give a likely complete type. Does Choleric in Control fit you? That would suggest INTJ. (and they do usually fit Melancholy-Choleric).
After that, we could also look into functions.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Well then, it looks like some sort of Chart the Course type (IST or INJ).
Now, you could check Control, and that would give a likely complete type. Does Choleric in Control fit you? That would suggest INTJ. (and they do usually fit Melancholy-Choleric).
After that, we could also look into functions.

In Control Reports I can be a mixture maybe of "Phlegmatic-Choleric" and "Melancholy-Phlegmatic"
In Affection Reports (as for Inclusion Reports) maybe a mixture between "Melancholy-Phlegmatic" and "Phlegmatic-Melancholy"

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, Phlegmatic-Choleric in Control would certainly go along with NT. Melancholy-Phlegmatic is between Melancholy and Supine (SJ/NF), do you mean Phlegmatic-Melancholy (which is next to Phlegmatic-Choleric)?

Affection does not necessarily correspond to type; but in your case, it would go along with Inclusion, and further point to CtC.

So it looks like INTJ to me. Melancholy-Phlegmatic in Control would suggest ISTJ or INFJ, but you don't seem to be an S or an F from what I gather.

And you did start off asking about I/E, so that should be clearly a definite I, though maybe with some moderate expressiveness.

Would you identify with an introverted iNtuition dominance? (Of course, the dominant function orientation also tells you your I/E preference).

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Well, Phlegmatic-Choleric in Control would certainly go along with NT. Melancholy-Phlegmatic is between Melancholy and Supine (SJ/NF), do you mean Phlegmatic-Melancholy (which is next to Phlegmatic-Choleric)?

Yes, you're right I mean Phlegmatic-Melancholy, but the first maybe is "Phlegmatic-Choleric" and in some particular situation with people very close and for important things I can be very controlling, like "Choleric/Phlegmatic".

Would you identify with an introverted iNtuition dominance? (Of course, the dominant function orientation also tells you your I/E preference).

In tests based on functions I am Ni dominant:
See those results in last december:

----------------------------------

Keys2cognition test:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************** (14.4)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************************* (37.7)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************* (33.5)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) **************************************** (40.5)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************* (33.7)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************* (31.5)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************* (19.5)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************** (29.4)
average use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTJ

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTJ, or ISTJ
-------------------------------

Team Technology test:

This table suggests that your preferences are most likely to be for INTJ or INTP.

INTJ - 85%
INTP - 76%

If your personality type is INTJ then you have a strong, private sense of strategic vision, both for the future and how that future will can be achieved. Your vision, or sense of knowing, may be difficult to articulate, but even if wasn't others might find it difficult to accept (e.g.: as impractical or unrealistic). Pursuing your vision might be a lonely task, therefore, as you develop and pursue plans without anyone else really understanding the nature of what you are trying to achieve.

If your personality type is INTP then you have a strong sense of the hidden principles that govern how the world works. You are interested in theoretical models and explanations, and when other people put forward their own theories you put them to the test to find out how true or robust they are. You enjoy solving difficult intellectual problems and seek to understand the real truth behind any situation, even when it involves several complex factors.

Function Attitude Scores
Ni 27
Ti 25
Te 22
Si 21
Ne 14
Fi 13
Fe 10
Se 8

Your mental muscle diagram suggests:

* your dominant function is iNtuition and very introverted
* your auxiliary (second most important) is Thinking and slightly introverted
* your tertiary (third) is Feeling and slightly introverted
* your inferior (fourth) is Sensation and very introverted
-------------------------

As I said, in tests based on 4-letters I result often INTP because of some P "quality": some laziness, procrastination and change my goals in personal long-term career/life wishes.

Thanks.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So by all counts, it looks like INTJ (with the one anomaly being such strong Si. But there are numerous Forer effects in that first test; so just as long as Ni and Te are strong).

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
So by all counts, it looks like INTJ (with the one anomaly being such strong Si. But there are numerous Forer effects in that first test; so just as long as Ni and Te are strong).

Many thanks for all your suggestions, Eric.
Bye.