• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is Luna's Type?

Type?

• Obvious INTP is obvious

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Probably INTP

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • INTJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • ENTP

• ISTP

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • ENFP

• Something else...

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
A

Anew Leaf

It kind of sounds like you are standing right on the I/E line. :).

I wish there was some research in breaking down how the same type can express itself in different ways depending on where they fall on the scale.

Maybe it's too subtle to pinpoint, but it sounds like it could help people like you out.

You should create a new type called the LUNA which is a hybrid. Like a tangelo. Mmmm fruit.

Last edited:
A

Anew Leaf

Also I forgot to add that I liked your story. It was very cute and very NT. :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hey luna, for comparison purposes, i figured i'd do the ENP one. let's see how many i match up with. i'm a relatively socially introverted cognitive extravert. i dunno my enneagram. probably 6w7 or 4w3.

ENP Traits
1. They have a lot of energy
2. They're curious about everything, and seem to be always asking "Why?"
3. They have lots of ideas and love to talk about them
4. They always have several projects going on
5. They want to be original and interesting
6. They like to be leaders, and resist following (eh. lead alone < follow < independent < lead as part of team)
7. They're very social
8. They're very independent, and want to do things for themselves (but not usually by myself)
9. They want to be the center of attention (sometimes)
10. They probably tend to be dramatic, and enjoy acting or performing
11. They're outspoken and energetic, and may interrupt frequently, or finish people's sentences for them
Potential Strengths
1. They're usually cheerful, optimistic, and fun to be around
2. They're enthusiastic and fearless
3. They believe that anything is possible
4. They have very good communication skills and a strong ability to persuade others to come around to their point of view
5. They usually have a good vocabulary, and can express themselves well in written and verbal form
6. They're very clever (ha ha i like to think)
7. They show an unusual understanding of people and situations for a child
8. They have good people skills and are usually well-liked
9. They naturally see the possibilities of a situation and the "big picture"
Potential Weaknesses
1. They frequently forget rules, or else they never knew them in the first place
2. They have a lot of projects going on at one time, and may be scattered
3. They frequently don't finish their projects
4. They're usually very messy, and dislike cleaning up
5. They tend to speak in a very loud voice without realizing it
6. They have difficulty making decisions, and often resist decisions
7. They are often unaware of their physical environment
8. They may not take good care of themselves
9. They're not usually very aware of time or schedules
10. They don't like being controlled by others, and may be rebellious
11. They dislike being asked to do anything, and will often act very "put upon" by any request

i looked at yours too, i don't think your answers really contradict ENP. the one that would seem to be the most surprising to be off if you were ENP is good communication. though i know an ENTP who's not really amazing at communication as far as i know. he can be suave and he's usually charming but sometimes he's lazy and forgetful or blunt and that can lose him points. he's e7w8 i think.

however - the way you write seems more INTP to me. i don't even know how to qualify that. it's a holistic thing. vibe. i remain in the INTP boat until further notice :)

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It kind of sounds like you are standing right on the I/E line. :).

I wish there was some research in breaking down how the same type can express itself in different ways depending on where they fall on the scale.

Maybe it's too subtle to pinpoint, but it sounds like it could help people like you out.

You should create a new type called the LUNA which is a hybrid. Like a tangelo. Mmmm fruit.

Yay, I should totally just be the type LUNA to show that I am a hybrid. I did that for a little while...

Also I forgot to add that I liked your story. It was very cute and very NT. :)

And thank you :) I was afraid my story would throw off peoples typings even further...

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i looked at yours too, i don't think your answers really contradict ENP. the one that would seem to be the most surprising to be off if you were ENP is good communication. though i know an ENTP who's not really amazing at communication as far as i know. he can be suave and he's usually charming but sometimes he's lazy and forgetful or blunt and that can lose him points. he's e7w8 i think.

Hehe yeah, that throws me off too: that whole ENTP reputation for being smooth communicators and such. I'm still terribly awkward at that stuff, lol. But then how much does skill have to do with type?

however - the way you write seems more INTP to me. i don't even know how to qualify that. it's a holistic thing. vibe. i remain in the INTP boat until further notice :)

Now my writing style is INTP? :laugh: Before I was getting complaints that my style is too imprecise and fluffed up for that. *takes note*

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hehe yeah, that throws me off too: that whole ENTP reputation for being smooth communicators and such. I'm still terribly awkward at that stuff, lol. But then how much does skill have to do with type?

yeah hard to know. so you know how it's been written that the tertiary is how you "play"? i have an interpretation of the "child" role, maybe it can help. i think that it manifests in two main ways: (1) in an slightly not elegant and unwieldy way (think of a toddler, how they don't really understand their body yet) when they need to rely on it - in INTPs i see this as a vast Si storage bank, but one that is primarily used to support logic, instead of for establishing a larger data set. it backs up the logic structure of whatever systems they're interested in, but it doesn't reach beyond those systems like an SJ's would. in ENTPs i see this as Fe people manipulation, in that an ENTP can usually, between Ne and Fe, get away with a lot, and convince people to just like them or to rearrange the way they want - but it's not super warm, accepting Fe like FJs. (2) in a "cute" kind of way when they don't really need it - INTPs knowing lots of little trivia about their interests/hobbies and ENTPs having a big rowdy group of friends and/or "brotherhood" feelings.

Now my writing style is INTP? :laugh: Before I was getting complaints that my style is too imprecise and fluffed up for that. *takes note*

:laugh: oh well. you really do seem in between.

idk if you feel trusting of this, but i'm going to borrow some from similarminds' jung trait correlations.

INTP: individualist, more interested in intellectual pursuits than relationships, thoughtful about existence, likes esoteric things, disorganized, messy, likes science fiction, can be lonely, observer, private, can't describe feelings easily, detached, likes solitude, not revealing, unemotional, rule breaker, avoidant, skeptical, acts without consulting others, fantasy prone, appreciates strangeness, frequently loses things, guarded, more likely to support marijuana legalization, not prone to compromise, hard to persuade, relies on mind more than on others, calm.

ENTP: risk taker, easy going, outgoing, social, open, rule breaker, thrill seeker, life of the party, comfortable in unfamiliar situations, appreciates strangeness, disorganized, adventurous, talented at presentation, aggressive, attention seeking, experience junky, insensitive, adaptable, not easily offended, messy, carefree, dangerous, careless, spontaneous, improviser, always joking, player, wild and crazy, dominant, acts without thinking, pro-weed legalization

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah hard to know. so you know how it's been written that the tertiary is how you "play"? i have an interpretation of the "child" role, maybe it can help. i think that it manifests in two main ways: (1) in an slightly not elegant and unwieldy way (think of a toddler, how they don't really understand their body yet) when they need to rely on it - in INTPs i see this as a vast Si storage bank, but one that is primarily used to support logic, instead of for establishing a larger data set. it backs up the logic structure of whatever systems they're interested in, but it doesn't reach beyond those systems like an SJ's would. in ENTPs i see this as Fe people manipulation, in that an ENTP can usually, between Ne and Fe, get away with a lot, and convince people to just like them or to rearrange the way they want - but it's not super warm, accepting Fe like FJs. (2) in a "cute" kind of way when they don't really need it - INTPs knowing lots of little trivia about their interests/hobbies and ENTPs having a big rowdy group of friends and/or "brotherhood" feelings.

I kind of see what you mean there. This is what I had to say about the tertiary:

Maybe this will help (stuff copypasta'd from cognitiveprocesses.com):
The Relief Role (Tertiary)
The relief role gives us a way to energize and recharge ourselves. It serves as a backup to the supporting role and often works in tandem with it. When we are younger, we might not engage in the process that plays this role very much unless our life circumstances require it or make it hard to use the supporting role process. Usually, in young adulthood we are attracted to activities that draw upon this process. The relief role often is how we express our creativity. It is how we are playful and childlike. In its most negative expression, this is how we become childish. Then it has an unsettling quality, and we can use this process to distract ourselves and others, getting us off target.

If INTP… Si is a pretty good backup to Ti, but I’m not sure how I would express creativity through it. Sometimes it is childlike and gets me off target, like I get fixated on rote memorization or nostalgia trips…

If ENTP, I am only beginning to understand how I use Fe. I pretty much avoided it most of my life but now that I am in young adulthood, it’s like I’ve been getting Fe slapped lately…. Realizing that I want to be part of groups and reveal myself to others and whatnot. There all along, but coming into conscious awareness, telling me to do things like starting clubs, solve problems for other people, and maybe try that whole charm thing so that people aren’t as scared of me :tongue: But even now it doesn’t have the quality that it would in an xxFJ. It’s very childlike and kind of unstable, not in a manipulative sort of way but in an awkward and playful way.

So, I do play around with facts/trivia and I play around with connecting with people/sharing stuff. But I don't have a big rowdy group of friends, and I don't think I ever did the whole manipulation thing.... unless you count the offering of cupcakes to get people to respond here :tongue:

INTP: individualist, more interested in intellectual pursuits than relationships, thoughtful about existence, likes esoteric things, disorganized, messy, likes science fiction, can be lonely, observer, private, can't describe feelings easily, detached, likes solitude, not revealing, unemotional, rule breaker, avoidant, skeptical, acts without consulting others, fantasy prone, appreciates strangeness, frequently loses things, guarded, more likely to support marijuana legalization, not prone to compromise, hard to persuade, relies on mind more than on others, calm.

ENTP: risk taker, easy going, outgoing, social, open, rule breaker, thrill seeker, life of the party, comfortable in unfamiliar situations, appreciates strangeness, disorganized, adventurous, talented at presentation, aggressive, attention seeking, experience junky, insensitive, adaptable, not easily offended, messy, carefree, dangerous, careless, spontaneous, improviser, always joking, player, wild and crazy, dominant, acts without thinking, pro-weed legalization

Ummm, are you sure the ENTP description isn't a little ESTP? :tongue:

Interesting descriptions there though. I don't know what degree to trust it though. The throwing in of weed legalization makes me especially skeptical...

A

Anew Leaf

I read somewhere awhile ago about how as we age, different functions come to the forefront. So maybe you are experiencing that a little bit as well.

I will try looking it up and seeing what it says about xntp types.

I vaguely remember my own where the n and f are developed early, then in my 20-30s I would develop my s traits more (shudder ;)) and lastly when I hit my 40-50s I should develop my t more.

P.s. I like your Luna type! To the moon Alice!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you mean that I grew up in a rural area but was still a charismatic performer... no, not those circumstances at all. I had auditory processing problems and had issues in school to the point where some of my early teachers suspected I was mildly autistic. Sometimes when people would speak to me all I would hear was this gibberish, and I would want to respond to them but not know how to. I also didn't really understand the whole concept of initiating contact with other kids for a while.

I would play together with them sometimes with things that didn't require speech as much, but sometimes I would play on my own. I remember this one time when I was seven and at recess the school psychologist was watching me play by myself and she asked why I was doing this. I responded "Well, I do want (so-and-so) to play." She asked "well, why don't you invite her to play?" My response was something along the lines of "I don't know. She doesn't like me (a.k.a., if she doesn't find me too weird, she will just join me)." As this indicates, I did have enough of an understanding of others to know that they found me to be too weird, but I think I took this to extremes. I would've liked to do stuff like perform and be admired, but I didn't think that was possible in my early years.

I remember another incident around the same age when I was at some sort of family gathering thing/party and there was a place in the middle of the room where people danced but it was empty. My mom noted that I looked even more fidgety than usual and asked what was wrong. I responded "I want to go dance in the middle there." She responded "well then just go and do it then." I exclaimed "but there's no one else there so I'll get in trouble." "It is fine," she assured. But when I went out to the middle and started dancing a booming voice over a microphone called out a bunch of gibberish "Blah blah blah that kid blah blah blah." I ran back to my mom and exclaimed "I told you!"

A few years later, there was the first clue that I could've actually been liked. I was making dolls out of these sticky sort of plants that I found and a couple of popular older girls spotted me doing this and said something like "OMG these are like so cute and creative. I so want one." And I was like "Seriously? (Someone actually likes one of my ideas?)" So then this led to a short time of basking in the admiration of this 5th grade clique by making all of them dolls. But this ended when I ran out of the sticky plants. I quickly pitched my idea of stick dolls to them when this happened but they explained "It's not the same, it's just not cool anymore." To which I thought "Psssh, who needs 'em? They don't know what cool is."

Anyway, I'm not sure where I'm going with this anymore. I guess I was saying that it was some combination of auditory processing glitches and low self confidence that could've been inferfering, rather than environment.

So, in this case, I don't have nearly the problems with auditory processing and confidence that I had when I was seven, but they are still there a little. But even though my home environment wasn't exactly the problem, I do plan on being a lot more "out there" when I move away for college. Perhaps I don't want my parents to know what mistakes I'll inevitably make by trying to actually engage people on a regular basis? I don't know, but I do think I'll be more of myself once I make the move. And I think that person will be better at communication and expression.
Still sound like an ambivert, leaning towards the introvert side, and high on the "wanted" scale (want others more than you express to them).

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ummm, are you sure the ENTP description isn't a little ESTP? :tongue:

Interesting descriptions there though. I don't know what degree to trust it though. The throwing in of weed legalization makes me especially skeptical...

:laugh:

they're correlations. people who reported as I/ENTP also reported those things. i assume they asked type and then gave a survey to fill out.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So… I was looking at that thread about INFP/ENFP differences, and there were some interesting points there.

One of them was about E/I patterns in facebook statuses, and how INFPs would discuss feelings and family members, and ENFPs would discuss current events and things they are going to do: perhaps an indication of the external vs. internal focus. I have noticed a pattern in my facebook statuses of starting with noting a change in environment/events, and then making witty commentary on it. The one time I said something semi-serious in a status message, I totally drowned it in a cute and snarky metaphor. So perhaps a slightly more external focus there?

There was also a point about how an ENFP/ENFP discussion of a book would lead to a total shift in topic within 10 minutes. I suppose if I were to discuss a book with an ENxP, there is the chance that we could be talking about the same book in 10 minutes, but I can almost guarantee that the topic would’ve changed at least 10 times within that time ;)

It was stated that INFPs will be more idea-oriented and ENFPs will be more people-oriented, because of Ne servicing Fi and Fi servicing Ne, respectively. I wonder if this applies the same or differently for the INTP/ENTP divide. I would consider myself more idea-oriented than people-oriented, but that could just be because of the T, or a real indication that Ne is auxillary rather than dominant.

Also on this…

as far as i understand it, the difference can be boiled down to:
  • INFPs have an easier time - expend the least energy - looking inside themselves.
  • ENFPs have an easier time - expend the least energy - looking at connections that occur outside their own minds.

The looking at connections part I understand, but I don’t understand it happening outside our own minds… maybe I am still misunderstanding these functions.

hence social situations are often more regenerative and refreshing for an ENFP. if we're alone too much we get stuck in our heads, recirculating the same information over and over again, which is bad news.

However, this is too true for me… in the absence of input I’ll get trapped in my head often, analyzing the same thing ad infinitum. I need to move on to something stimulating, and talking things through or else FAIL.

ime, sometimes social situations are regenerative and refreshing. not always. sometimes they are too much and make my head hurt. sometimes i love big parties; sometimes i have had enough. i need time to myself pretty much daily or i get agitated. however, i also need in-depth engagement and interaction with people, otherwise i go totally nuts in about 72 hours

And I relate a lot with the above.

It's funny, the more that I am convincing people here that I'm an ambivert who leans I, the more I am starting to convince myself that I'm an ambivert who leans E... and speaking of that, how shall I throw away the poll I have going here? I don't think the poll is working anymore...

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

you have me swaying ENTP now using my own arguments!!

The looking at connections part I understand, but I don’t understand it happening outside our own minds… maybe I am still misunderstanding these functions.

what i mean by that is the subjects of thinking are located outside your mind. for instance, noticing a motif in a book, as opposed to pondering the nuances of how you feel about something (or i guess in your case, your Ti logic structures?). seeing how two totally separate events or books or theories can be compared because of their inherent similarities. seeing how to overlap theories. taking information that is not self-generated and linking it to other not-self-generated information. whereas Fi and Ti incorporate external information, but their primary concern is your subjective understanding of the world. often we don't feel very attached with Ne ideas, right? like you're just trying things out. you can argue a case so well other people believe it but you don't necessarily actually believe it, you're just trying to figure out how it could work that way. attachment only comes as a result of Fi or Ti determining that things are important and meaningful. and that was an inside judgment - external information can't ever really tell you that for certain. seeing things that are significant can be Ne, but knowing that things are important is Ji.

interesting about the facebook posts. i definitely am ENFP by that measure.

However, this is too true for me… in the absence of input I’ll get trapped in my head often, analyzing the same thing ad infinitum

it sucks. so much.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
what i mean by that is the subjects of thinking are located outside your mind. for instance, noticing a motif in a book, as opposed to pondering the nuances of how you feel about something (or i guess in your case, your Ti logic structures?). seeing how two totally separate events or books or theories can be compared because of their inherent similarities. seeing how to overlap theories. taking information that is not self-generated and linking it to other not-self-generated information. whereas Fi and Ti incorporate external information, but their primary concern is your subjective understanding of the world.

Ahhh ok. That one is really tricky....

often we don't feel very attached with Ne ideas, right?

Oh of course not. Can't be attached to all that nonsense ;)

like you're just trying things out. you can argue a case so well other people believe it but you don't necessarily actually believe it, you're just trying to figure out how it could work that way. attachment only comes as a result of Fi or Ti determining that things are important and meaningful. and that was an inside judgment - external information can't ever really tell you that for certain. seeing things that are significant can be Ne, but knowing that things are important is Ji

Yeah I think I experiment a lot more than making a decision on importance....

you have me swaying ENTP now using my own arguments!!

Like now I have you swaying this way when really I am still trying things out :biggrin:

Perhaps this should sway my direction?

So.... this is what I am thinking that others are thinking now:

I suspect most are thinking "This Luna person has overanalyzed this issue for nearly 15 pages. Therefore, she must be INTP after all!"

But then some are thinking now "But look at the test results she's been getting lately. Life Surfer, enneagram 7, SLUEI. If she isn't ENTP, I'll eat my own socks..."

And some are still in the camp of "She's way too obsessed with her identity to be anything other than NF..."

And some are like "She's in such terrible Sensor denial I'm not even going to bother...."

And the rest are like "Um.... who's Luna?"

If I could remake my poll, I would make those the options :tongue:

So basically this is what is in the way of my decison, and more specifically it's those darn functions. I cannot see my own lens (lead function).

I guess I am stuck then :shrug: But I am learning to like falling outside of the system for a little while....

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
what if you're ENTP 5w4?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can be one of those? Do they exist? ;) Well I could be the first one in existence of course, but I'd need to still be careful that I am truly NeTi, and truly 5w4 rather than 7w6, or else it doesn't solve much other than saying I'm a weird combination of stuff....

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Proceed to the the "Luna's an F" camp then. It's right on a lake and features lots of mud wrestling and playing pranks on the other nearby campers. Once you've had all your fun with that, help me find my F...

T

ThatGirl

Read the thread...scratch that....step back and look at the thread.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you expect me to believe you read through all of that? ;)

*looks at thread*

now what?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Drat, thought I would finally get somewhere with that debate :tongue: Oh well....

Anyway, here is my process of elimination with that.

I may be decently strong at Fi, but Ti is always betta'. My values do not run much deeper than "that is awesome!" or "that's just messed up." But I can run deeper with an impersonal analysis.

I may be decently strong at Fe too, but if it's in my top two then it would require me to be strong in Ni or Si for there to be a real type, and I fail at those. That eliminates several other types as well.

I guess I could be xSTP, but other than enjoying sensations and playing games with facts, I pretty much fail at sensing.

I guess I could be ENFP with some weird FiTe thing going on there, but that still doesn't seem quite right....

In summary, I'm pretty stuck with xNxP, leaning to T. But please do present counterarguments if they are out there.