• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is Luna's Type?

Type?

• Obvious INTP is obvious

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Probably INTP

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • INTJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • ENTP

• ISTP

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • ENFP

• Something else...

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You're considering ENTP now, Luna?

Actually... I guess I could see that. It seems more likely than INTP. You could very well be a Ti user, I just can't see you as Ti dominant... you seem more N than T.

Well... if you check out the OP you can see that I was considering it from the beginning. The considering is just a lot more serious now, to put it shortly. I have been discussing it for the past few pages.

I guess the question here is, do I also seem more S or F than N?

Perhaps I'm not Ti dominant, but I'm confused by how much you don't see it as a possibility. From your thread on doublethinking, it is apparent that I am wayyyyyy more concerned with logical consistency, whereas your thought process is interesting yet very foreign. I am also super focused on getting at the definition of stuff.

Fi-doms follow deep personal convictions rather than social values, making them appear somewhat original and unconventional. At the same time, this makes it very hard to type Fi based on a prefixed set of questions. Having your own unique set of convictions, you could very well find yourself to be answering different in the typology test spectrums that test for Fi, whilest you are still using Fi in the process. That is, if you are an INFP.

In this case, I don't know what to do anymore. If Fi is this much of a chameleon function then typing is going to be close to impossible. But, from my research, so many INFPs do show up as Fi dominant on the tests that I'm not sure to what extent this is true. Is there a way to possibly isolate what is truly Fi preference from everything else?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yup, if in fact it is Fi that causes you to answer 'outside' of the MTBI box in the tests, you can always make the test and write down your reasons for your answers, and the reasons you don't give the other answers. Then give the test with the answers and your reasoning to someone that knows a lot about MBTI, and he/she will no doubt be able to analyze your answers with great accuracy and properly deduce which cognative functions are more present than others.

There are prolly a ton of other ways, but that's a fairly simple one that comes to mind that can definately deduce wether or not your answers on the test and reasonings coincide with the intended cognative functions stated for the various questions in the test. Or wether there are in fact cognative functions present influencing your answers in ways the MTBI test did not account for.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
There have been a lot of threads about Fi here. Have you read descriptions of what Fi is, by actual FPs? Do you identify with them at all? In my case, that was what got rid of any lingering thoughts that I might be an INFP. I have scored very high on Fi on those function tests, but when I read stuff about Fi by actual NFPs, it's clear that isn't me. I used to think it was the same thing as "introspectiveness" or "knowing yourself", and it's not.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ I am still looking for more threads about it, but I have looked through this one http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...s/44302-fi-vs-ti-thanks-virginia-woolf-2.html , which led me to believe I am more of a Ti-user than Fi-user. I am not constantly evaluating what is true for me (though a lot of times I am), I am constantly evaluating what is true. It just happens that this thread is all about me ;)

Looks like this is still getting tangled in with the definition of introspection. I'll find another discussion on it then.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lenore Thomson describes Fi as "encouraging a personal relationship to an evolving pattern". That is, arriving at rational decisions by putting yourself in the situation and seeing how you would feel. It thus taps into universal values.

Here, just recently, using this definition, I discuss how it often comes to play for me as an INTP. http://personalitycafe.com/cognitiv...festation-demonic-fi-intps-8.html#post1103678
So you can see how it compares for you.
Many of those other descriptions (knowing yourself, the stuff on the cognitive process test such as "knowing what you want", etc. are behaviors that tangentially connect to the Fi definition, but then become Forer effects as any type can relate to them to some extent.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well... if you check out the OP you can see that I was considering it from the beginning. The considering is just a lot more serious now, to put it shortly. I have been discussing it for the past few pages.

Ah, I suppose I lost sight of the OP in the midst of all the posts that were going onto the subject of Ti vs. Fi.
I guess the question here is, do I also seem more S or F than N?

Oh, definitely not, IMO. N is definitely the clearest letter.
Perhaps I'm not Ti dominant, but I'm confused by how much you don't see it as a possibility. From your thread on doublethinking, it is apparent that I am wayyyyyy more concerned with logical consistency, whereas your thought process is interesting yet very foreign. I am also super focused on getting at the definition of stuff.

I wouldn't use that thread as an indicator of my usual thought process. :wink:

I'm just capable of using doublethink, mostly in social situations. When it comes to a situation that isn't social, I'm much more inclined to focus on definition and precision. When I first arrived on this forum, I used a LOT of Ti... I've gotten quite mentally lazy recently, but if you read some of my earlier posts, you would see that I'm capable of being quite obsessive about precision when it comes to technical subjects.

In this case, I don't know what to do anymore. If Fi is this much of a chameleon function then typing is going to be close to impossible. But, from my research, so many INFPs do show up as Fi dominant on the tests that I'm not sure to what extent this is true. Is there a way to possibly isolate what is truly Fi preference from everything else?

I don't think that Fi can be that much of a chameleon function... that definition that Fluffywolf offered is too simplistic. If one were to go with his definition, then there would be little or no difference between Ti and Fi, to the point of making Ti a redundant function.

Ti is a function that tries to define things precisely, with the end goal of achieving a clear understanding of the topic in question that is logically consistent. Personal significance, and one's own set of values, are not particularly important... in fact, that would be the most repressed factor in this kind of thinking, while I believe it predominates in Fi.

Fi is a function that tries to work out what one believes in, and values, and strives to be consistent with itself and the values of the one using it. Ti is most interested in being faithful and consistent to the material, regardless of one's own beliefs or values. Fi is most interested in being faithful and consistent with oneself, regardless of whether or not that conflicts with the material.

Both functions are interested in integrity, and are disinterested in external standards, but it's a completely different kind of integrity that is sought by each one. Ti seeks integrity in terms of being true to the nature of a system, true to certain logical principles that govern a system while analyzing it. Fi seeks integrity in terms of being true to subjectively defined (rather than objectively defined) principles that govern their own behavior and emotions.

Fi does not usually attempt to convey itself precisely, but rather attempts to capture itself in a more dramatic way... a more poetic way, because that is the only way it can be expressed. And only other Fi users can truly understand it... to someone who doesn't use Fi, it just tends to come across as schmaltzy and strange.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think that Fi can be that much of a chameleon function... that definition that Fluffywolf offered is too simplistic. If one were to go with his definition, then there would be little or no difference between Ti and Fi, to the point of making Ti a redundant function.

It's not the cognative functions that are at fault, but the simplistic nature of the questions in MBTI tests that I assaulted. I think you misunderstood my post there. :p

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In response to a couple suggestions, I dissected a little bit of my responses to this test http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-long-scientific-personality-test , and this one http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

• In making up your mind about something, are you more likely to go by (a) Data and facts (b)Desires and feelings
I try to rely on data and facts as much as I can, but it’s also important to go with what I desire if it’s relevant to me. I chose A.

• In sizing up others do you tend to be (a) Objective and impersonal (b) Friendly and personal
I’m very hesistant to evaluate people personally anything beyond “that person is awesome.” If the need arises, I will get objective and impersonal.

• At a party, do you (a) Interact with many, even strangers (b) Interact with a few friends
I’ve been to very few parties :p The only ones I tend to go to are dances. There, I’ll go and dance all crazylike with whoever I know who allows me to be seen with them ;) I’ll get energized, but then crash about an hour before the party ends. Anyway, I had no clue how to answer this one and picked one randomly.

• Does interacting with strangers (a) Energize you (b) Tax your reserves
Along the same lines as the above question, I have no clue how to answer this one and randomly picked. It does both. It will tax my reserves more if the people are boring and I’m just sitting there listening to stuff that doesn’t make any sense, and it will energize me if there is something interesting that I can actually respond to.

• At work or school, is it more natural for you to (a) Point out mistakes regardless of who made them (b) Try to please others regardless of their rank
(a) for sure. I’m not very concerned with pleasing people, and it doesn’t matter if the person who made the mistake is four years old, or the President of the United States, they still need to be aware of their mistakes :p

• Do you think of yourself as (a) An outgoing person (b) A private person
Another one of these questions… I’m not private OR outgoing. Random selection again.

• Which is more of a compliment: (a) There’s a logical person (b) There’s a selfless thoughtful person
Being a logical person is a good thing to be, should be kind of a default though… thoughtful is also good, but selfless? Yuck. The only way you can be sure you are taken care of is to take care of yourself first.

• Are you the kind of person who (a) Is rather talkative (b) Doesn’t miss much
Picked (b), even though I still miss a lot. I am very far from talkative, lol.

• If you need to figure something out (a) I think through it alone, then share the results (b) I think better if I can talk through it out loud
I usually have to think through things alone because I fail with talking through problems with others. Their approaches are usually way different and I process speech way too slowly to keep up. Chose (a), though if I was capable of talking through problems with people more it would probably help a lot.

And this was the result:
INTP - the Architect
You scored 45% I to E, 32% N to S, 62% F to T, and 89% J to P!

• Offer various unrelated ideas and see what potential they might suggest.
I would've responded "exactly me" except for the world "unrelated" was in there. I find that my suggested ideas are related ;) So "mostly me"

• Be guided by a definition, logical deduction, or other nugget of reasoning.
"Exactly me." I am totally guided by definitions.

• Feel strongly that something is good or bad.
"Somewhat me." Sometimes I get strong feelings but most of the time I am just not concerned enough.

• Remain in touch with what you want for yourself, what motivates you, and what is good.
Would've marked "exactly me" except for the part about "what is good." What is that supposed to mean? Marked "mostly me."

• Enjoy playing with random interconnections and patterns.
I either marked "exactly me" or "mostly me" for this one. It confused me because "random interconnections" is an oxymoron

• Freely enjoy doing what you want for your own personal happiness.
"Exactly me." Um, who wouldn't? It would be a contradiction to not be happy and enjoying what you want.

• Concisely reference multiple frameworks at once while problem solving.
"Exactly me." Yes, have to get more than one framework involved to really get to some problem solving.

• Always remain true to what you want for yourself or others.
"Mostly me." Gotta stay authentic...

• Analyze and critique what doesn't fit with a well-defined principle.
"Exactly me.' Always on the lookout for what is not fitting (contradicting) the definition or principle.

• Keep following tangents and new ideas without limiting yourself to one.
"Exactly me." Why have limits when you can throw them out the window and find more ideas in the process?

• Continually examine if choices harmonize with important beliefs.
Marked either "mostly me" or "sometimes me." The choice of the word "harmonize" confuses me. It's about consistent beliefs for me.

• Take apart something to figure out the principles on which it works.
"Mostly me." I like to take things apart to the ittiest bittiest pieces, but I am finding that if I spend too much time taking it apart that I'll get bored sometimes.

• Push your mental limits to complete an array of innovative achievements.
"Exactly me." Seriously, I don't know which function this question is for... seems enneagram 5-ish more than anything else.

• Trust what emerges from brainstorming.
"Mostly me." I'll trust it as far as I can throw it.... over to be analyzed and checked and all that. Would be crazy to trust it enough to act on any thing that pops into my mind ;)

Came up with this:

Extraverted intuiting (Ne) 44.9
Introverted thinking (Ti) 44
Introverted feeling (Fi) 34.7
Extraverted thinking (Te) 32.9
Introverted intuiting (Ni) 26.7
Extraverted sensing (Se) 23.8
Introverted sensing (Si) 19.5
Extraverted feeling (Fe) 14.3

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP

First time I've tested as Ne-dominant in like 2 years. Weirdly, I still get the result of INTP.

Now back to the originally scheduled programming...

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
i dunno enough about typology to dissect your answers and tell ya what type you are, but, you seem INTP to me...

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can't imagine any type other than INTP dissecting the test questions to the extent you have. ;)

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ :laugh:

Maybe... but I don't think I dissected them that much, and I only did so once it was suggested by someone else. I'm pretty sure any type can get obsessed with finding the right type.

Anyway, at least as far as INTP/ENTP goes, I kind of want to throw away the first letter as irrelevant and make it a Z or something. All I've found through my investigations is tons of similarities and the few things that are different I am either split or in between on. It's a simple enough question to answer: NeTi or TiNe? Is there an easy way to tell which one leads that I am missing? Well, other than that function test that I've taken so many times and says that I'm about even, so even that won't work now...

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It might be difficult, but you really have to determine what your ego's "operating charter", so to speak, is. The functional perspective that serves your main goals. If it's Ti (or Fi), it might be hard to recognize it, as Ne will tend to stick out whether dom. or aux.
I too thought Ne might have been "stronger" since childhood, but now, squaring away the definitions of the functions better, it makes it clearer, it was Ti.

So does your ego's main goals focus on:
technical variables; essential dynamics of in a situation related to our intended effect (Ti)
emergent meanings; possibilities of situations (Ne)?

One will likely go all the way back to as far as you can remember. The other might still be there, but not as solidified as the one that developed first. If the introverted one is dominant, then you would have been focused more inwardly, and earlier on, the external data might have seemed a bit intrusive, until you were ready to feed the internal world more. If the other way around, then you would have lived squarely for the external data, and not have had much of an internal grounding until later, to anchor the external focus with.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Since I have one detailed memory of my thoughts that goes way back, I’ll describe it and see if there are any real links to this stuff and to an “operating charter.”

I was four years old and had just moved to a new town, so I was stuck inside the house a lot. I was watching my mom sorting through mail and coupons when I spotted a coupon with a bunch of balloons and colors on it. It was for some sort of playplace across town. “I want to go there,” I explained, and my mom assured me that we would go there soon. But then I saw my mom going back to sorting through the coupons, and I realized that soon was soon for adults and not soon for kids. It could be a day or even a week, which seemed to be forever back then. So then I figured if I wanted to go there now rather than soon, I could take myself. I figured that if cars can just sort of end up at the right places, that if I started walking somewhere I would just end up in the right place. I packed up some of my toys in a basket, put on my shoes, and planned a couple different ways to be able to unlock the front door, but it was unlocked anyway. I made it up to the end of the block before I was stopped by a street to cross. I knew I had to look both ways and make sure there weren’t any cars, but every time I looked I could see a car, so I was stuck there for a couple minutes and that is when one of my neighbors spotted me and brought me back to my frantic parents. I thought of it as a brilliant plan and was shocked to see how upset and excited to see me back they were.

Can type be applied to any of this? Or is this just an example of the typical bored and clueless four-year-old? I would guess that this story and my overall mindset at age 3-5 leans Se/Ne+Ji if it is applicable but I really don’t know. Taking my age into account, I probably had a decent inner grounding but at the same time external data wasn't intrusive at all...

There was probably a shift at age 5-6 where I was still much of an explorer but I liked to collect facts on things. I thought it was totally cool when I found out something that was a "third-grader thing". Tracing letters and counting to 20 was boring :tongue: I loved to see that chain of numbers around the class that went up to 125, and I wanted to know what came after that and how far it could go.

Then another shift at 7-8 where I became more about being precise in my observations...

Then at 9-11 I shifted again to not caring about academics and getting things right anymore and just trying to get by with some fun along the way.

Then at 12 I started a slow shift again towards wanting to do well in school in order to explore and understand the universe, but with some teenage issues thrown in there about wanting to be worthwhile and accepted.

Then at 16 this became more focused, wanting to find specific areas to be competent at and while finding out who in the world I am in the first place

At 18 I started finding out the answers at what I can do well at and all this personality typology nonsense, but lost a lot of my focusing powers to do so

At 22 (aka over the past few days) I decided that focusing powers are overrated and that exploration is where it's at :yes:

So....... is there a pattern here yet?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe this will help (stuff copypasta'd from cognitiveprocesses.com):

The Leading Role (Dominant) The process that plays the leading role is the one that usually develops early in childhood. We tend to engage in this process first, trusting it to solve our problems and help us be successful. Being the most trusted and most used, it usually has an adult, mature quality to it. While we are likely to engage in it rather automatically and effortlessly, we have much more conscious control over it. The energy cost for using it is very low. Much like in the movies, the leading role has a heroic quality as using it can get us out of difficult situations. However, we can sometimes “turn up the volume” on this process and become overbearing and domineering. Then it takes on a negative dominating quality.

If INTP… I’m not sure how I would recognize Ti usage in early childhood. I could see it obviously as young as 7. I do trust it a lot now and it is pretty automatic. It can sometimes get too dominating and then I get accused of overanalyzing the situation and such.

If ENTP… I could see this more at work in early childhood but I could be mixing things up here. I guess you could say that I trust Ne but it needs to be tossed over to a judging function for me to really trust it. A lot of times it is automatic but sometimes I can have conscious control. Energy cost is almost nil—it is energizing. It’s kind of a hero but not domineering. But I do sometimes get “that look” when I am offering possibilities of “stop it with your crazy options” or “are you high?”

The Supporting Role (Auxiliary) The supporting role is how we are helpful to others as well as supportive of ourselves. Once we have developed some facility with our leading role process, we are more likely to feel comfortable engaging in our supporting role process. In its most positive form, this can be quite like a nurturing parent. In its more negative aspect, it can be overprotective and stunting rather than helpful. When the leading role process is an extraverted one, the supporting role process is introverted. When the leading role process is an introverted one, the supporting role process is extraverted and may be quite active and visible as it provides a way of dealing with the outer world.

If INTP…yes, the whole Ne/Fe combo seeks to find options to help out other people (too bad most people don’t appreciate it at all.) Sometimes it is a parent to Ti in the form of “nuh uh, it doesn’t have to be that way. It could be this way, or that way…”

IF ENTP…in the same way, I can use Ti to be helpful to others by providing them with a framework to see things through. It can be very parental of Ne in the form of “nuh uh, that wouldn’t work because of (insert definition or framework here)” It is sometimes a nagging and overprotective parent :p

The Relief Role (Tertiary)
The relief role gives us a way to energize and recharge ourselves. It serves as a backup to the supporting role and often works in tandem with it. When we are younger, we might not engage in the process that plays this role very much unless our life circumstances require it or make it hard to use the supporting role process. Usually, in young adulthood we are attracted to activities that draw upon this process. The relief role often is how we express our creativity. It is how we are playful and childlike. In its most negative expression, this is how we become childish. Then it has an unsettling quality, and we can use this process to distract ourselves and others, getting us off target.

If INTP… Si is a pretty good backup to Ti, but I’m not sure how I would express creativity through it. Sometimes it is childlike and gets me off target, like I get fixated on rote memorization or nostalgia trips…

If ENTP, I am only beginning to understand how I use Fe. I pretty much avoided it most of my life but now that I am in young adulthood, it’s like I’ve been getting Fe slapped lately…. Realizing that I want to be part of groups and reveal myself to others and whatnot. There all along, but coming into conscious awareness, telling me to do things like starting clubs, solve problems for other people, and maybe try that whole charm thing so that people aren’t as scared of me :tongue: But even now it doesn’t have the quality that it would in an xxFJ. It’s very childlike and kind of unstable, not in a manipulative sort of way but in an awkward and playful way.

I could go into the inferior too but it may not be accurate since I am not in midlife yet. I think I have said a lot already, lol.

Last edited:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As soon as you mentioned coupons with colors on it, it reminded me of myself.

All of that looks like Ti maturing from year to year.

You mentioned a lot of technical variables, moreso than "emergent meanings/possibilities". Ne and Se were not yet really distinguished as the auxiliary function. Both seemed to serve your goals (imagining possibilities, as well as taking action on them).

Examples of Ti "essential dynamics of in a situation related to our intended effect":

•Realizing "soon" meant something different to your parents than to you, and based on her actions (analyzing, definitions)

•Realizing that cars can take you to the right place, so walking should be able to as well. Of course, this was a very immature Ti, not taking into consideration other variables, such as knowing the right way to not get lost, the fact that it's a dangerous world for four your old little children to be out by themselves, etc. But the effort shows an young Ti raring to go! I was like this too, and soon set out to study maps and learn the way to go anywhere so I woudl never get lost. All that was lacking was the ability to travel alone. I went for years trying to get others to take me places (and this is where the "Choleric" really manifested itself"), and as soon as I came of age, I took off on my own!

•Planning to figure out how to work the lock (analysis)

•Thinking it was a brilliant plan. While this could be TiNe or the other NT combinations, it is clear that Thinking was in the lead, even at that early age, even moreso than iNtuition (which may have helped make you realize the possible dangers). Ti aimed to take off like Superman leaping into the sky.

•Then, at 5-6, Ti was maturing, and you realized the need to collect more facts. That's the way Ti learns those "essential dynamics" and "variables" used in building its frameworks.

•7-8, precision; that's a hallmark of Ti, as it continues to mature.

•9-11, that sounds like Pe beginning to develop, and "fun" can still be with Ne. (P in general will be more into "fun" in different ways).

•12, sounds like both Ti and Ne continuing to mature. Teenage issues I don't think is type specific. Like we could say it is "inferior Fe", but that is probably not really differentiating itself yet.

•16, NT as a whole continuing to develop towards adulthood. (competency is the NT temperament need).

•18, 22, it sounds like perhaps Ne and maybe even S and F demanding attention. Perhaps, because you are ambiverted, as I had mentioned before, your extraverted functions were stronger than usual.

For me, my development was similar to yours, though my Si really became big in teens (which is a bit early, the tertiary is supposed to develop around 20, they say), and that shifted some of the focus.

But the main point, was it was clearly the Ti that developed first for you, and pretty strong at that.

What I should have done awhile ago, is point to these pages, showing the eight different child types when the dominant functions has developed.
http://www.personalitypage.com/html/ITP.html
http://www.personalitypage.com/html/ENP.html

These both sounded like me, yet when I took the test, trying to remember how I would have answered as a child, I did come up ITP. Some things are similar, such as even "adventurousness'. But clearly, the ENP is less focused on rational content. They are about "ideas", but it is not the personal vs technical focus that is distinguished yet. For you, the technical focus had distinguished itself, but not really the concrete vs abstract focus, yet.

So it looks like you are definitely INTP, though you might have some ambiversion in the dimension of "expressiveness".

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ENP Traits
1. They have a lot of energy
2. They're curious about everything, and seem to be always asking "Why?"
3. They have lots of ideas and love to talk about them
4. They always have several projects going on
5. They want to be original and interesting
6. They like to be leaders, and resist following
7. They're very social
8. They're very independent, and want to do things for themselves
9. They want to be the center of attention
10. They probably tend to be dramatic, and enjoy acting or performing
11. They're outspoken and energetic, and may interrupt frequently, or finish people's sentences for them
Potential Strengths
1. They're usually cheerful, optimistic, and fun to be around
2. They're enthusiastic and fearless
3. They believe that anything is possible
4. They have very good communication skills and a strong ability to persuade others to come around to their point of view
5. They usually have a good vocabulary, and can express themselves well in written and verbal form
6. They're very clever
7. They show an unusual understanding of people and situations for a child
8. They have good people skills and are usually well-liked
9. They naturally see the possibilities of a situation and the "big picture"
Potential Weaknesses
1. They frequently forget rules, or else they never knew them in the first place
2. They have a lot of projects going on at one time, and may be scattered
3. They frequently don't finish their projects
4. They're usually very messy, and dislike cleaning up
5. They tend to speak in a very loud voice without realizing it
6. They have difficulty making decisions, and often resist decisions
7. They are often unaware of their physical environment
8. They may not take good care of themselves
9. They're not usually very aware of time or schedules
10. They don't like being controlled by others, and may be rebellious
11. They dislike being asked to do anything, and will often act very "put upon" by any request

ITP Traits
1. Logical and objective
2. Tend to be adventurous, and enjoy taking physical risks
3. They're original and value their uniqueness
4. They're highly independent, and don't like being told what to do
5. They have no interest in controlling or leading others, or telling them what to do
6. Quiet and serious
7. Honest and direct
8. They're very observant
9. Curious and interested in learning new things
10. Quick to learn new things
11. Not overly affectionate or demonstrative of their love
12. They enjoy books
13. They have a tendency to be loners, and may have one or two friends, rather than lots of acquaintances
14. They're very easy-going and undemanding
15. Often prefer to work alone rather than in groups
16. They want to be good at things that interest them, and they apply their own standards rather than trying to impress anyone else
17. They get bored easily
18. They value precision in communication, and are irritated by exaggerations and half-truths
Potential Strengths
1. When interested in something, they exhibit extreme competence and will master it completely
2. They're flexible and can adapt well to new situations
3. Laid-back and easy-going, they're usually easy to get along with
4. Strong sense of fairness
5. They're highly observant, and quickly incorporate new data into their thinking
6. They're usually quite intelligent, and able to do well in higher education
7. They're quite honest and truthful
8. They take things seriously, and are seldom frivolous or flighty
9. They have open and accepting natures, although they're not always interested in people
Potential Weaknesses
1. They don't have a good sense of time or schedules, and may frequently run late or miss deadlines
2. They will strongly resist being told what to do, which may present a discipline problem
3. They do not like to make decisions, and prefer to leave things open until the last possible moment
4. They will resist doing anything that they don't feel like doing
5. They're often unaware of how others are feeling, or how their own behavior affects others
6. They keep their own feelings closely guarded and well-hidden from others, sometimes even from themselves
7. When stressed out or upset, they may react with extreme emotions that are inappropriate or exaggerated for the situation
8. Highly objective and detached, they may have difficulty forming close bonds with people
9. With their risk-taking natures, they might get into some trouble

Looks like I lean ITP on this, but not by that much. Maybe I'm some weird combination like iNTP 7 or eNTP 5... this is leaving me more confused than before.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, you have a lot more crossed out for ENP than for ITP. And those are some key "extraversion" traits. And it's not like the traits are mutually exclusive. Like anything you don't cross off in ENP necessarily contradicts ITP.

Stuff like "leading" and "demanding", which you crossed off, would seem to be part of the Choleric in Control, and ITP can either become SupChlor or PhlegChlor, or MelSan (the ISTP). The latter will be less like that, and again, for the others, it is often mellowed out by the Interaction Style.
So this is generalizing and probably assuming that the leadership traits haven't developed like that yet, or won't be that prominent, but for some of us, they are.

The same with "trying to impress anyone else".
Even for "frivolous and flighty", if you are really an ambivert, then you will be a bit more like that than the typical introverted child. Yet the seriousness was clearly there.

So, sorry if you feel more confused, but it looks like more good evidence for INTP to me.

As for Enneagram, how about 6w7? I should have thought of that as well, as it would make sense for an ambivert who's between Supine and Sanguine.
Here's a discussion comparing 6w7 and 6w5:
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12387&SearchTerms=6w5,6w7

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, you have a lot more crossed out for ENP than for ITP. And those are some key "extraversion" traits. And it's not like the traits are mutually exclusive. Like anything you don't cross off in ENP necessarily contradicts ITP.

Well, this is part of what confuses me. I'm not sure how the things that I crossed out for extraversion are key, since a lot of those things are related to skills, not preferences. People skills, communication skills, good vocabulary... are those really requirements? The loud voice thing might be an indication, but part of the reason why I error on speaking too soft is because speaking loudly hurts my voice.

Also, in another thread, you said this:

True type or temperament is about the inner needs of the person, whether fulfilled or not.

and wouldn't this throw things off a lot?

As for Enneagram, how about 6w7? I should have thought of that as well, as it would make sense for an ambivert who's between Supine and Sanguine.
Here's a discussion comparing 6w7 and 6w5:
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12387&SearchTerms=6w5,6w7

Some of the things for 6 I relate to a lot, and some not at all. I'm pretty anxious, indecisive, doubting, and rebellious... but not reliable, commited or responsible at all. If I am a six, I have very strong 5 and 7 wings. Maybe it explains why I am so torn between 5 and 7.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I'm looking at these things as evidences, and in that other discussion, I was talking about why some extraverts might not display the extraversion traits as much. So yes, it is possible to cross them out and still be an extravert, but on the other hand, the whole "inner needs" part addressed that the person's natural inclination might be to display those behaviors, but some circumstances changed them.

Do you think you had some circumstances like the ones Marm mentioned that caused you to act more introverted, when the extraverted traits would have come more naturally? In such cases, removal from the situation (like growing up and moving out on one's own) usually lets them develop their true extraverted traits.
You said "speaking loudly hurts my voice", and that could be a form of "overstimulatability".

Again, those were just evidences, and the point was it looks like you fit ITP more than ENP.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you think you had some circumstances like the ones Marm mentioned that caused you to act more introverted, when the extraverted traits would have come more naturally?

If you mean that I grew up in a rural area but was still a charismatic performer... no, not those circumstances at all. I had auditory processing problems and had issues in school to the point where some of my early teachers suspected I was mildly autistic. Sometimes when people would speak to me all I would hear was this gibberish, and I would want to respond to them but not know how to. I also didn't really understand the whole concept of initiating contact with other kids for a while.

I would play together with them sometimes with things that didn't require speech as much, but sometimes I would play on my own. I remember this one time when I was seven and at recess the school psychologist was watching me play by myself and she asked why I was doing this. I responded "Well, I do want (so-and-so) to play." She asked "well, why don't you invite her to play?" My response was something along the lines of "I don't know. She doesn't like me (a.k.a., if she doesn't find me too weird, she will just join me)." As this indicates, I did have enough of an understanding of others to know that they found me to be too weird, but I think I took this to extremes. I would've liked to do stuff like perform and be admired, but I didn't think that was possible in my early years.

I remember another incident around the same age when I was at some sort of family gathering thing/party and there was a place in the middle of the room where people danced but it was empty. My mom noted that I looked even more fidgety than usual and asked what was wrong. I responded "I want to go dance in the middle there." She responded "well then just go and do it then." I exclaimed "but there's no one else there so I'll get in trouble." "It is fine," she assured. But when I went out to the middle and started dancing a booming voice over a microphone called out a bunch of gibberish "Blah blah blah that kid blah blah blah." I ran back to my mom and exclaimed "I told you!"

A few years later, there was the first clue that I could've actually been liked. I was making dolls out of these sticky sort of plants that I found and a couple of popular older girls spotted me doing this and said something like "OMG these are like so cute and creative. I so want one." And I was like "Seriously? (Someone actually likes one of my ideas?)" So then this led to a short time of basking in the admiration of this 5th grade clique by making all of them dolls. But this ended when I ran out of the sticky plants. I quickly pitched my idea of stick dolls to them when this happened but they explained "It's not the same, it's just not cool anymore." To which I thought "Psssh, who needs 'em? They don't know what cool is."

Anyway, I'm not sure where I'm going with this anymore. I guess I was saying that it was some combination of auditory processing glitches and low self confidence that could've been inferfering, rather than environment.

In such cases, removal from the situation (like growing up and moving out on one's own) usually lets them develop their true extraverted traits.

So, in this case, I don't have nearly the problems with auditory processing and confidence that I had when I was seven, but they are still there a little. But even though my home environment wasn't exactly the problem, I do plan on being a lot more "out there" when I move away for college. Perhaps I don't want my parents to know what mistakes I'll inevitably make by trying to actually engage people on a regular basis? I don't know, but I do think I'll be more of myself once I make the move. And I think that person will be better at communication and expression.