• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trying to type myself is furthering my identity crisis...help. please!

lapalm

MBTI Type
I?FP
I am thoroughly confused!

I took the Myers Briggs at the insistence of someone else telling me it can help me decide what to do with my life. Awesome, I need help with that.

Now, I have done tons of research and reading, mostly on different types and what they prefer, how they are on a daily basis. And I am more confused than ever. Here is what I know:

I like to be alone, and do things alone. I am awkward and sometimes aloof in social situations, but can act very confident talking to some people.

I empathize well and can understand where some people are coming from, but I have to know them. It seems like with family and friends I've known a long time, I can understand them better than new people I meet.

I make decisions based on feelings and logic. I know, everyone does. For example, I will go shopping and buy 4 new shirts I think are cute and can afford (barely...I'm bad at managing money) and the next day will return all of them because I don't really need them. I am notorious among friends for returning purchases the next day. A lot of times I won't buy things knowing that I will forget about them if I don't buy it.

I was in a relationship for 3 weeks. The guy really liked me. I could never really figure out why because we had just met. He said "I just can't explain it." Eventually things ended because I kind of felt like he was smothering me and didn't know what to do. He said "time is fine" but it wasn't. I mean...eventually I would just be needing to decide the same thing, whether to be with him or not and that stressed me out. I wasn't sure if I would like someone the same, if they told me all the same nice compliments. And I told him that. I know...cringe with me. It wasn't until I sat down and thought about this that I realized how horrible that is to verbalize. To me, it was just getting out every thought/emotion that was in the way of making the commitment. I couldn't commit knowing I had those thoughts.

I am organized. Everything in my room has a place, and on my good streak, I will put everything away at night. Bad streak means my room stay messy for a week and then I have a massive cleaning. I don't care if I have a basket of junk, as long as the junk looks organized it can stay peacefully in my room.

School meant procrastination. Since middle school, I have been a procrastinator. So much so that by my senior year of college, I would schedule all nighters to write a paper from start to finish. I learned how to do very well on the papers so I was earning A's.

I am scared of what people think of me. I've had many awkward moments with (most introvert) friends because I assume that they judged something I said or did and almost want to clarify for them that I meant something different, or that I'm feeling tension and I don't mean to be so awkward, but I don't know a tactful way to say that.

Perhaps the most perplexing to me is: I went through my high school and some college years feeling like I wasn't good enough. I didn't give myself much credit or push myself because I wasn't sure I could actually finish anything (I guess). I wanted to drink, but couldn't knowing that I was underage. Now I do drink on rare occasions and sometimes just to let loose. I feel like I put off the image that I would never just do "stuff" with guys as one night stands or anything. And I wouldn't. Yet, I have made out with random guys just because I am drunk and they pay attention to me. AHh!! At the same time, I never let it get far because I am "not like that". But there I am, blowing with the f ing wind because someone puts their hand on my back. I can see that my innocent image attracts some people and then it becomes something I'm proud of. And then I'm disgusted that I'm proud of that.

I classified myself as an INFP, but now it seems like I'm not. For example: when I like a boy, I don't make it obvious at all. I try to candidly make eye contact or get close to him, but other than that I am awkward. I read that is typical behavior for INFPs, and when I went out last night I was aware of that. I met a guy who seemed interested in me, so I kind of played with that a little bit. Instead of straying away because I kind of liked him, I let it happen and acted my part.

Almost as if knowing how I am gave me the freedom to change. But ah! I don't want to change. I like the image (I think) people get from me. I'm having many internal battles that I can't even put into words.

again...

OK...that is all. If you've read this far, thanks. For letting me ramble about myself. If you have any insight into this, please let me know

lapalm

MBTI Type
I?FP
I have tested that before. What do you think are some differences between INFP and ISFP?

I guess I stray away from that because I don't consider myself an artist, per se. I have a creative knack and an aesthetic eye, but doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary.

The_World_As_Will

My Responses are in Bold

I am thoroughly confused!

I like to be alone, and do things alone. I am awkward and sometimes aloof in social situations, but can act very confident talking to some people.

People that you know?, perhaps you just feel comfortable, you're able to be yourself, thus more confident, that's normal

I empathize well and can understand where some people are coming from, but I have to know them. It seems like with family and friends I've known a long time, I can understand them better than new people I meet.

Certainly an F trait obviously, maybe Fe, but depth of feeling is honestly a tie between INFPs and INFJs, it's really hard to discern, though INFJs seem rather more grounded than INFPs, they're more head-in-the-couds.

I make decisions based on feelings and logic. I know, everyone does. For example, I will go shopping and buy 4 new shirts I think are cute and can afford (barely...I'm bad at managing money) and the next day will return all of them because I don't really need them. I am notorious among friends for returning purchases the next day. A lot of times I won't buy things knowing that I will forget about them if I don't buy it.

Initially when reading this I thought "Okay, well this could be Fi at work, as Fi has this peculiar emotive logic to it' but thinking about it over again, you maybe an INFJ and this maybe a tertiary use of Introverted thinking

I was in a relationship for 3 weeks. The guy really liked me. I could never really figure out why because we had just met. He said "I just can't explain it." Eventually things ended because I kind of felt like he was smothering me and didn't know what to do. He said "time is fine" but it wasn't. I mean...eventually I would just be needing to decide the same thing, whether to be with him or not and that stressed me out. I wasn't sure if I would like someone the same, if they told me all the same nice compliments. And I told him that. I know...cringe with me. It wasn't until I sat down and thought about this that I realized how horrible that is to verbalize. To me, it was just getting out every thought/emotion that was in the way of making the commitment. I couldn't commit knowing I had those thoughts.

Not sure what to make of this in terms of a functions perspective.

I am organized. Everything in my room has a place, and on my good streak, I will put everything away at night. Bad streak means my room stay messy for a week and then I have a massive cleaning. I don't care if I have a basket of junk, as long as the junk looks organized it can stay peacefully in my room.

Okay so you're disorganised in your organisation? I can understand that; how strong is the need to organise? is it like borederline OC where you have to have everything in a particular order, or are just fine with knowing where a given item is at a particular time. my initial vibe is you're an INFP

School meant procrastination. Since middle school, I have been a procrastinator. So much so that by my senior year of college, I would schedule all nighters to write a paper from start to finish. I learned how to do very well on the papers so I was earning A's.

ah as a University student, and an INTP, I know procrastination, in fact at this very moment i am procrastinating on a paper :D, I'm honestly not sure how an J would handle procrastination, maybe an INFJ or INFP can chime in?

I am scared of what people think of me. I've had many awkward moments with (most introvert) friends because I assume that they judged something I said or did and almost want to clarify for them that I meant something different, or that I'm feeling tension and I don't mean to be so awkward, but I don't know a tactful way to say that.

My INFP best friend had this issue alot, and it's something I've noticed with other INFPs, I think eventually some level of detachment (or apathy) should be cultivated, I mean what do those other people really know about you besides inaccurate assumptions they've made?.

Perhaps the most perplexing to me is: I went through my high school and some college years feeling like I wasn't good enough. I didn't give myself much credit or push myself because I wasn't sure I could actually finish anything (I guess). I wanted to drink, but couldn't knowing that I was underage. Now I do drink on rare occasions and sometimes just to let loose. I feel like I put off the image that I would never just do "stuff" with guys as one night stands or anything. And I wouldn't. Yet, I have made out with random guys just because I am drunk and they pay attention to me. AHh!! At the same time, I never let it get far because I am "not like that". But there I am, blowing with the f ing wind because someone puts their hand on my back. I can see that my innocent image attracts some people and then it becomes something I'm proud of. And then I'm disgusted that I'm proud of that.

Well I think maybe you're doing it to prove to yourself you aren't this innocent, prudish person? as it's not something you really like, I know the feeling, But you shouldn't be hard on yourself, INFPs are awesome, and rather principled

I classified myself as an INFP, but now it seems like I'm not. For example: when I like a boy, I don't make it obvious at all. I try to candidly make eye contact or get close to him, but other than that I am awkward. I read that is typical behavior for INFPs, and when I went out last night I was aware of that. I met a guy who seemed interested in me, so I kind of played with that a little bit. Instead of straying away because I kind of liked him, I let it happen and acted my part.

Oddly enough, INFPs do that exact same thing, apparently they hide away from it, why? I haven't a clue, should probably ask my INFP best friend of my INFP girlfriend lol

Almost as if knowing how I am gave me the freedom to change. But ah! I don't want to change. I like the image (I think) people get from me. I'm having many internal battles that I can't even put into words.

again...

OK...that is all. If you've read this far, thanks. For letting me ramble about myself. If you have any insight into this, please let me know

Done and Done :)

Also may I recommend this article, Would you agree with the description?

Cybin

MBTI Type
INFP
I have tested that before. What do you think are some differences between INFP and ISFP?

I guess I stray away from that because I don't consider myself an artist, per se. I have a creative knack and an aesthetic eye, but doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary.

You don't have to be an artist to be an ISFP. Type is about cognition, not behavior. Your writing style seemed like Fi overload, imo, but what you talk about seems very concrete and down to earth.

The difference between ISFP and INFP would be extraverted sensing or intuition. Being in the second place, you would probably relate to some, but not all, of the descriptions of Se.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/extravertedsensing.html

This isn't my favorite website onthe matter, but it's a good start. Both this website and PersonalityCafe have more reading on the functions if you look around a bit.

lapalm

MBTI Type
I?FP
You don't have to be an artist to be an ISFP. Type is about cognition, not behavior. Your writing style seemed like Fi overload, imo, but what you talk about seems very concrete and down to earth.

The difference between ISFP and INFP would be extraverted sensing or intuition. Being in the second place, you would probably relate to some, but not all, of the descriptions of Se.

I'm starting to understand the functions and that does make sense. To me, it seems that Se are less able to see many possibilities of things, while someone with Ne has the ability to see something in different ways.

I used to see things in very black and white - which seems more of an Se thing to do? For example: I used to be involved in campus ministry in high school. We organized these retreats that almost everyone would go on (I went to a small high school) but it seemed like no one would take it seriously. It was like they were there for the bonding fun times, but actually changing their lives according to their faith was too much. I had many conversations with a friend about how it didn't make sense that people were doing one thing and acting like they were about something else. I wasn't judging them really, and they would never know I thought that, but I was genuinely curious.

Thanks...I looked more into the functions and applying them instead of just individual types.