• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or INTP?

redacted

I am bringing this post up because after some self-reflection, I realize that T types can be highly emotional. The question is whether they prefer to let emotions get in the way or not.
I think I might be a T who thinks that is logical to always consider other people's feelings. An NT can be empathetic. An NT can use intuition as a strong guide just as an NF can use reason as one.
For some of these reasons, I am thinking of returning to the NT side and just saying that I am a somewhat 'immature NT'.

you sound like an INTP to me. your feelings seem to be based on external standards as well = Fe.

and i agree -- it is good to keep in mind that every type has FOUR active functions, not just two. thinking and feeling cannot exist without eachother -- thinking is always motivated by feeling. just like intuition cannot exist without sensing -- all perception is a mix between concrete sensory input and unconscious connections to concepts.

everyone uses N, S, T, and F every few seconds. type is just about which ones you tend to put more weight on.

side note: it may help you to read bluewing's INFP and INTP profiles. if you can make it through them, you are guaranteed an extremely good understanding of those types :).

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
side note: it may help you to read bluewing's INFP and INTP profiles. if you can make it through them, you are guaranteed an extremely good understanding of those types :).
If you can make it through them, you probably ARE an INTP! LOL! :D

heart

heart on fire
If you can make it through them, you probably ARE an INTP! LOL! :D

Why do you say this? I found the profiles easy enough to read and the INFP was extremely helpful to me. So much of the info on INFP out there just says "Hey you are a wonderful hippy!"

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Why do you say this? I found the profiles easy enough to read and the INFP was extremely helpful to me. So much of the info on INFP out there just says "Hey you are a wonderful hippy!"
I tried reading the INTJ description. I couldn't make it all the way through. It was too hard to understand. In my experience, INTPs love to delve into every little detail and follow every train of thought like that. I was unaware that INFPs were similar.

heart

heart on fire
I tried reading the INTJ description. I couldn't make it all the way through. It was too hard to understand. In my experience, INTPs love to delve into every little detail and follow every train of thought like that. I was unaware that INFPs were similar.

If relating to human element, yes.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

That's interesting... from my observations, this appears to be the case generally with people's ability to understand BW, although individuals may differ:

TJ's usually have a hard time with all those abstract nuances despite being fairly intelligent otherwise. FP's seem to have a random amount of skill where it's concerned. FJ's can read it but often find it tedious, and TP's can read them if they wish, but some of those find them meaningless, obvious, and/or biased.

My theory so far is that Ti is somehow turns in on itself such that it ends up examining human perception and the way we perceive structure, rather than anything external, such that it becomes an elaborate and detailed mechanism that can describe feelings or perceptions. Or rather, BlueWing's seems to do this, and I don't see any reason other INTP's might not be doing this on some level.

where are bluewing's profiles?

Here they are:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/3412-intj-profile.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/2928-entp-profile.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/4064-intp-profile.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/4629-infj-profile.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/4647-enfp-profile.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/5731-entj-profile.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/5635-enfj-profile.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/2238-infp-profile.html

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
From reading things through, I am still not going to be one to make a decision but I think I might be an INTP who mistook his 'inferior' Fe to be a preference for Feeling. We all have feelings- mine have not been so developed. I have never been one to express emotion even when I'm most stressed. I read somewhere that the main emotion an NT regularly feels is frustration that is something I can relate to. I read bluewings' profiles for INTP and INFP and I can relate to both well.

"Extroverted Judgment allows for us to act decisively and firmly in the external world without further ado. This is the quality that INTPs tend not to acquire easily and naturally. For this reason much of the time they end up merely thinking and never acting. Cultivation of Extroverted Feeling will give the INTP ample opportunities to bring their ideas to the world of objective reality. Since all Extroverted Functions tend to be remote from the mind of the INTP, the Extroverted Feeling is often unconscious and the INTP has little awareness of how this faculty operates. This is indeed the Achilles Heal of that type. For this reason the INTP is often unaware of his needs in relationships and what must be accomplished in order for a satisfactory result to be attained. This is the part of the INTP’s life where he is most prone to confusion and incompetence, which stands in glaring contrast to his tough-minded Thinking oriented approach to life with intense focus on activities he is likely to have mastered."

First of all, from the INTP & INFP profile I can definitely relate to the inferior Extraverted Judgment function- I don't take action very easily and try to stay detached from the world for the most part to avoid many of those situations.

One must pay attention to all four of the functions. From a Keirsey perspective, Rational and Idealist both make sense for me- but I think what I see as Feelings is somewhat of an immature and shadow Fe since I never feel fully comfortable expressing emotions and realize how close I am with many of my more Thinking-oriented friends back home even though one thing we never really discuss is feelings or personal stuff. We discuss and do things we like and that's something I enjoy. Even with my Feeling-oriented friends I don't talk about my feelings with but rather patiently listen to what they say and offer advice when I can. People call me a 'nice guy'- a guy who is 'thoughtful' but not 'sensitive' but with an understanding of what other people are going through and a genuine desire to help others.

My recent life has been one of changes. I just finished my freshman year in college- pledging a fraternity made me question my type since there were so many changes in how I dealt with people. I became more emotion-friendly at times because of the strong bonds and similar experiences I had with my pledge class. Pledging took up a lot of time and blew my GPA into pieces as well. It is weird. Now that I am back home- I realize how strong of a T (and how comfortable and happy) I am with my friends and family back home and my friends at college that I didn't pledge with.

Pledging was an experience that forced you to open up in many ways. I think that made me feel more F-ish but at the end of the day, I think that I am an NT. I understand why more people see me as an NT. I have friends of all personalities back home (but the ones I do the best with are the NTs and some and the differences between me and my F twin sister are obviously those of T & F. She hates getting into discussions (arguments) while I relish doing so. Most people I know see me as more of a T than an F- that is one reason why I'm considering making the switch.

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
When it comes to human relationships, I often play the role as the guy who listens to people's problems and gives advice. I was talking to someone who is also interested in MBTI and he believed that this was more F than T, because the INTP would be bothered by listening to the 'same problems' over and over again and consider the whole ordeal to be useless, since the INTP desires for 'efficiency' while the INFP desires for 'harmony', I know that at times, people are just looking for reassurance and not necessarily any solution to their lives.

Something in this screams "F" to me. Perhaps it's the failure to break into two sentences between " 'harmony', " and "I know" - or at least tossing a casual "although" into the mix.

However, I really wanted to address the portion about listening to the same problems over again.

I'm fairly good at listening to problems and responding with the appropriate affirmations. If it goes on too long though, I snap. And I will tell them to either fish or cut bait.

Nicely.

Oddly enough, I'm usually thanked for this. But I don't know that it's an efficiency issue as much as it's a dislike for going nowhere. Strange attitiude for a P, I guess, but my thoughts generally circle in closer on each pass - coming nearer a conclusion. I'm less patient with ideas in a holding pattern.

Like a housefly circling a ceiling fan.

Last edited:

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm becoming ever more convinced that you're an INFP. I understand why you want to fight it though. Particularly given the INFP stereotypes that tend to fly about on these MBTI forums. Just don't be fooled by the freqent disconnectedness of primary Fi.

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
I've questioned whether I am an INFP sometimes too, but I don't think I am. I think a lot of the INFP type descriptions out there primarily apply to females; because male INFPs are relatively rare, there's little written about them. From my observation, male INFPs have less of the "touchy-feely sentimentalism" of female INFPs, and more of a drive for justice and equality (a la John Brown, Kurt Cobain). Instead of blocking out the things that don't reflect their ideals, they tend to confront them and get angry and emotional. While justice and equality are important to me, I don't get really angry over them like my INFP friend, where a single injustice can send him into a heated rage on the border of restraint as well as tears. If I really get angry or sad about something, it's almost a delayed response; as in I won't get emotional at first, but only after being alone and contemplating the event, sometimes hours or even days later.

As for the mercy vs. justice question, I think it has more to do with Te vs. Fe rather than simply T vs. F. I've noticed FPs tend to try for justice while I have personal allegiance to mercy.

Algora J

I've noticed FPs tend to try for justice while I have personal allegiance to mercy.

I've never noticed this. Can you give a specific example? I tend to think ST/NTs are the ones who try for justice, FPs tend to want vengeance for whatever wrong they feel instead of looking from an external thinking standpoint.

Most judges in the court system tend to be INTJs or ESTPs fyi not FPs.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
While justice and equality are important to me, I don't get really angry over them like my INFP friend, where a single injustice can send him into a heated rage on the border of restraint as well as tears. If I really get angry or sad about something, it's almost a delayed response; as in I won't get emotional at first, but only after being alone and contemplating the event, sometimes hours or even days later.

I dunno about your INFP friend, but I rarely get into a heated rage about anything. When I do it takes a pretty long time to develop. By "develop" I don't mean having to actively feed the rage and encourage it to grow. Quite often it takes on a life of its own regardless of any attempts to abort it. But it's not a quick thing. I'm fully aware that emotions often shouldn't be taken at face value, so I like to take a lot of time to analyse them for consistency, legitimacy and origin before I will consciously allow them to influence my decisions. I filter them through my values, but never totally ignore them. Of course, the amount of time this takes isn't always available. When it isn't, I tend to clam up and allow myself no overt reaction at all. Maybe it's self-discipline, but I think it far more likely that it's simply confusion. I think I could count the number of times I've experienced an instant, recognizable, overwhelming emotion on one hand. When sobre, that is.

On the whole, my emotions tend to lag behind real-time events by at least a day or two. Sometimes they never turn up at all.

As for the mercy vs. justice question, I think it has more to do with Te vs. Fe rather than simply T vs. F. I've noticed FPs tend to try for justice while I have personal allegiance to mercy.

I think the mercy vs justice question is often more a P vs J thing, personally. Most INFPs I know are all too aware that there are many grey areas in human behaviour and motives which make true justice very difficult to ascertain. Justice seems to me to be a push for closure as much as anything. Plus, I think most INFPs are too busy worrying about getting their own shit together vis-a-vis morals without worrying a lot about what other people are doing. Fi is, after all, an introverted function. I actually think INFPs are one of the least judgemental types, apart from with themselves.

Again, I really don't think people understand how disconnected Fi can be. People around me get upset about something and, while I try not to be insensitive (since that's a value I have, as well as a way of avoiding unpleasant drama), I really couldn't give a shit. Even with people I care about a lot. It just doesn't touch me. If I can't relate to their issue from personal experience, I tend to be more curious about what they're going through than empathetic.

In conclusion, Badlands, I think you may indeed be an INFP. Either that, or I'm an INTP. But I don't think that's too likely.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm becoming ever more convinced that you're an INFP. I understand why you want to fight it though. Particularly given the INFP stereotypes that tend to fly about on these MBTI forums. Just don't be fooled by the freqent disconnectedness of primary Fi.

Interesting. Reading these forums was one of the things that created the doubt...

Again, I really don't think people understand how disconnected Fi can be. People around me get upset about something and, while I try not to be insensitive (since that's a value I have, as well as a way of avoiding unpleasant drama), I really couldn't give a shit. Even with people I care about a lot. It just doesn't touch me. If I can't relate to their issue from personal experience, I tend to be more curious about what they're going through than empathetic.

I can relate to this actually and this is one of the reasons why I was thinking "INTP". I find it hard to get very emotional over things.

However, there are some people I know who tend to not show much emotion who I'm pretty sure are F-types.. this is because these people are extremely agreeable with others and despise conflict.

I tend to not be extremely agreeable with other people. In fact, I will argue against what someone is saying just to debate- often because I am bored.

Of course, I don't like to get into arguments (where the attacks tend to become disgustingly personal) with others. However, a little disagreement here and there isn't the end of the world and can be fun. I know of F types that just can't handle any kind of disagreement- this is true of my twin sister who scores very high on the F scale and normally tests as INFP (but a very weak P- so I would actually type her as INFJ- Fe fits her better than Fi). On the other hand, she is a female and I am a male, so that may cause some differences.

I am a political moderate and I know of Feeling types with strong political opinions who refuse to discuss politics with me because they know I will disagree. They know that such a disagreement will get them all riled up and ranty- so they choose not to discuss it. This doesn't bother me. Most people disagree with me on a good number of issues, I know my ideas have merit and most people I discuss these things with agree.

My sister and I both have the same parents- strong Thinking types- and the same influence. However, they were more lenient on my sister about F-behavior because she's a girl. Early on in my life, I got the impression that Thinking behavior is 'good' and Feeling behavior is 'bad' because it just gets in the way of what is really important in life. This could be a reason for me being an INFP who knows how to think like a T.

Something in this screams "F" to me. Perhaps it's the failure to break into two sentences between " 'harmony', " and "I know" - or at least tossing a casual "although" into the mix.
I don't think that screams "F", if anything, it just screams "P" becaue of laziness on my part.

One thing that may make me an F is that I was nominated for and did win "Nicest Guy" in my class (yearbook). Even though, I know of some other guys in my grade who were nicer by far, I was surprised since I wouldn't be afraid to stand up for myself. On the other hand, there have been times when I wasn't afraid to stand up for others- but I think a T type would do this too.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
However, there are some people I know who tend to not show much emotion who I'm pretty sure are F-types.. this is because these people are extremely agreeable with others and despise conflict.

I tend to not be extremely agreeable with other people. In fact, I will argue against what someone is saying just to debate- often because I am bored.

Of course, I don't like to get into arguments (where the attacks tend to become disgustingly personal) with others. However, a little disagreement here and there isn't the end of the world and can be fun. I know of F types that just can't handle any kind of disagreement- this is true of my twin sister who scores very high on the F scale and normally tests as INFP (but a very weak P- so I would actually type her as INFJ- Fe fits her better than Fi). On the other hand, she is a female and I am a male, so that may cause some differences.

I quite enjoy a good argument about anything I know something about, mostly because I like playing devil's advocate and promoting interesting, unconsidered possibilities. I think that's an NP thing. Like you, I don't like arguing with people who make it personal. I won't try to placate them (unless I like them a lot and think they've just misunderstood me), but I will disengage unless it's something I don't feel I can disengage from. In which case I'll generally call them on it in as calm, reasonable and rational a way as possible. Well...ideally I will. Usually I will. Sometimes I'll just inquire as to what their fucking problem could be. Occasionally I'll goad them into greater and greater displays of rage. Coz, y'know, it's a fallen world and I'm a fallen man with a fallen sense of what is fun.

Algora J

I quite enjoy a good argument about anything I know something about, mostly because I like playing devil's advocate and promoting interesting, unconsidered possibilities. I think that's an NP thing. Like you, I don't like arguing with people who make it personal. I won't try to placate them (unless I like them a lot and think they've just misunderstood me), but I will disengage unless it's something I don't feel I can disengage from. In which case I'll generally call them on it in as calm, reasonable and rational a way as possible. Well...ideally I will. Usually I will. Sometimes I'll just inquire as to what their fucking problem could be. Occasionally I'll goad them into greater and greater displays of rage. Coz, y'know, it's a fallen world and I'm a fallen man with a fallen sense of what is fun.

You sound to me like a combination of ENTP/INTP :)