User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Default Uumlau's Enneagram?

I am very certain of my MBTI type, INTJ. I haven't much of a clue what my Enneagram type is. Nothing seems to fit very closely, certainly not so closely as MBTI plus a clear understanding of Ni and Te and Fi fit me.

The tests I've taken from time to time (just free online ones) end up being fairly evenly weighted across the types.

In terms of description, 5 and 9 seem to fit the closest, and aspects of 5w4, 5w6, 9w8 and 9w1 seem to apply to a degree. The odd thing is that the wings generally seem to be "more off".

5 applies insofar as I am very intellectual and idea-oriented, and will tend to prefer to retreat into my head rather than deal with the real world.

9 applies insofar as I strive to have a very centered state of mind. I don't perceive myself as having the neuroses of a 5w4 or 5w6 - they just don't seem to fit. I think that they may have fit to one degree or another in the past. 9w1 and 9w8 seem to be off in that 9w8 seems too leadership-oriented in terms of expressing will, though the "polite with occasional harshness" seems apt. 9w1 is off in that while I was very much a model child as I grew up, it was never really an ideal for me.

So, how am I misunderstanding Enneagram, and what should I looking for to help me decide one way or another? Especially helpful would be any impressions those of you who follow my posts might have of me, since oftentimes the personality type is more visible from without than within.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Hi Uumlau.

Here is a description of the 5w6 from mindheart.org

Balanced 5/6 gains social ease. Deep perception and serene faith combine for a kind of knowing that focuses on the truth of human interactions. Healthy 5/6 overcomes the fear of intimacy and finds satisfaction in genuine relationships. A balance is struck between the urge to withdraw to sort things out and the desire to feel safe among trusted friends.

The 2 true INTJs that I know are both hard core scientists...but with a very human, compassionate side. I could see you fitting into this description.

While both 5s and 9s are withdrawn types, they withdraw for entirely different reasons:

• 5s fear being engulfed by the world, and so withdraw by hiding or remaining detached - choosing not to participate.
    • 9s happily merge with others and with the world in order to "keep the peace", and so withdraw by being too accommodating.

So ultimately, where do you think you have the most problem - are you too accommodating, or too detached?
    Hello

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Try taking the full Riso-Hudson test: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/Te...tery.asp#RHETI

It's $10 and will take 30-40 minutes of your time. But then you will have more specific results and access to the complete descriptions there that may aid in your discernment.

Then, I will share my thoughts on the matter.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I am very certain of my MBTI type, INTJ. I haven't much of a clue what my Enneagram type is. Nothing seems to fit very closely, certainly not so closely as MBTI plus a clear understanding of Ni and Te and Fi fit me.

The tests I've taken from time to time (just free online ones) end up being fairly evenly weighted across the types.

In terms of description, 5 and 9 seem to fit the closest, and aspects of 5w4, 5w6, 9w8 and 9w1 seem to apply to a degree. The odd thing is that the wings generally seem to be "more off".

5 applies insofar as I am very intellectual and idea-oriented, and will tend to prefer to retreat into my head rather than deal with the real world.

9 applies insofar as I strive to have a very centered state of mind. I don't perceive myself as having the neuroses of a 5w4 or 5w6 - they just don't seem to fit. I think that they may have fit to one degree or another in the past. 9w1 and 9w8 seem to be off in that 9w8 seems too leadership-oriented in terms of expressing will, though the "polite with occasional harshness" seems apt. 9w1 is off in that while I was very much a model child as I grew up, it was never really an ideal for me.

So, how am I misunderstanding Enneagram, and what should I looking for to help me decide one way or another? Especially helpful would be any impressions those of you who follow my posts might have of me, since oftentimes the personality type is more visible from without than within.
    I get more of a 9 feel from you than 5. Not that I can know for sure from one post. You seem very neutral, not particularly opinionated. What motivates you in life? What are you seeking, if anything? What terrifies you?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Out of the types you've suggested, I would pick 9w1. You don't seem particularly 5-ish to me... while you are analytical, you just don't seem to have the same kind of detachment and obsessiveness.

Your avatar gives me this xSFP vibe that I know doesn't fit with your posts. The only thing I can gather from it is more evidence towards 9, because 9s are a type in the "gut triad" that tend to have their energy center in the body, but also tend to deny and detach from it. Your interest in dancing might be an indicator that you reconnected with and made peace with that energy? I'm not sure, though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

OK, I took the test PB mentioned. Here are the results:

Type 1: 24
    Type 2: 7
    Type 3: 21
    Type 4: 13
    Type 5: 22
    Type 6: 10
    Type 7: 9
    Type 8: 18
    Type 9: 20

This wide distribution is typical of the Enneagram tests I've taken. It's very frustrating.

These numbers in this case would make me either a 1w9 or a 9w1. Note that there are several scores in the 18-24 range: 1, 5, 3, 9, 8. I identify with 5, 9, 1, 8 and 3 in that order. The 5 matches me based on my overall historical geekiness. 9 matches me based on temperament. 1 and 8 tend to describe how I go about doing things should I focus on accomplishing a task.

Here's the cute pic they give for me:

I'm not sure how the scores should be weighted, but the only "3 in a row" is "8, 9, 1," which would suggest 9w1 over 1w9. Notice that 4 and 6 are minimal.

I also note a couple lines in the Interpretation section of that testing link which read:

• If you have a number of close ties, you could be a Three, a Six, or a Nine.
    • If you have a scattered distribution of scores across three to five types so that there doesn’t seem to be any discernible pattern, you could be a Six.

Which suggests 9, again, since I don't identify with 6, and 3 feels weak to me, also. The funny thing is, the 9 descriptions tend to be "too nice" to describe me, though I would admit most people describe me as very nice or sweet. My intellect tends to take them by surprise unless they already know my profession or education (or they're family).
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

I dont know you at all to make a real guess but i think you have always vibed to me very similar to fidelia enneagram-wise; i knoe both of u r Ni doms, but not in that sense more like 1 - precision oriented, perfectionistic, flaw oriented. But I dont know.
    You aparently, based on your scores are not 5:/
    Do you have very high moral standards?
    How do you react to conflict?

I was just talking to my IxFJ friend today and we were both undecided about wether shes a 9 or 1, because she is very perfectionistic and she CLAIMS to be v judgmental... But again i know her quite well and she never "explained" to me how to live a life, which is something that every 1 i ever knew does in a way. She is also very agreeable, cant say "no" to people and not aware to which degree it goes; i noticed in 9s in my life (INTP, INFJ, IxFJ=her) that they appear to me like bodies floathing in the ocean, never choosing directions just going wherever waves take them... Lose a lot of day time to simple activities bu missing "important" stuff. 1s are much more focused, know what is important to them very well.
    But since i am not so sure with my ixfj friend...
    EDIT: I read all your posts in this thread, I'm leaning twds 9.
    Why?
    1. Your 7/4 scores are very low; your 3 score is high and expected for your age.
    2. Your "happy dancer" and as someone said avatar seem 9ish
    3. You vibe like infj 9 male i know
    4. One is very TJ so maybe theres where you appear so..
    5. A few 1s I know (most infj) are not really called often "nice people" haha

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

As you ponder potential 9'ness ... read this: http://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personlitytype9 ... In particular, focus on the Directions of Integration (Security) and Disintegration (Stress) and see how it resonates. Check out 1 too while you are there from the top links. See what you think.

And consider the following question: how much do you feel compelled, feel drawn, to help be a bridge of understanding when disparate viewpoints are presented here on the forum?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    OK, I took the test PB mentioned. Here are the results:

Type 1: 24
    Type 2: 7
    Type 3: 21
    Type 4: 13
    Type 5: 22
    Type 6: 10
    Type 7: 9
    Type 8: 18
    Type 9: 20

This wide distribution is typical of the Enneagram tests I've taken. It's very frustrating.

These numbers in this case would make me either a 1w9 or a 9w1. Note that there are several scores in the 18-24 range: 1, 5, 3, 9, 8. I identify with 5, 9, 1, 8 and 3 in that order. The 5 matches me based on my overall historical geekiness. 9 matches me based on temperament. 1 and 8 tend to describe how I go about doing things should I focus on accomplishing a task.

Here's the cute pic they give for me:

I'm not sure how the scores should be weighted, but the only "3 in a row" is "8, 9, 1," which would suggest 9w1 over 1w9. Notice that 4 and 6 are minimal.

I also note a couple lines in the Interpretation section of that testing link which read:

• If you have a number of close ties, you could be a Three, a Six, or a Nine.
    • If you have a scattered distribution of scores across three to five types so that there doesn’t seem to be any discernible pattern, you could be a Six.

Which suggests 9, again, since I don't identify with 6, and 3 feels weak to me, also. The funny thing is, the 9 descriptions tend to be "too nice" to describe me, though I would admit most people describe me as very nice or sweet. My intellect tends to take them by surprise unless they already know my profession or education (or they're family).
    All of that helps me see 9. I think that the reason you don't seem as "sweet" as a typical 9 is because of the influence of a wing, perhaps 1 or 8. The fact that you use 1 and 8 when doing things, seems to suggest a 9 core type, as those are both wings of 9.

Oh, and the "other" information you gave me, strengthens my conviction that you're a 9. I'm also noting that you scored high on 3, and integrating 9s grow towards 3.

Hmm... I never would have expected to see an INTJ 9, but I can see how it works with you.