User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 38

  1. #21
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Yeah, uumlau, I think 9 sounds right for you, and was thinking that maybe 952 was your tritype, but I could see 953 as well.

    You might also consider 5w6 with 592 or 593 tritype as well, though.

    http://personalitycafe.com/enneagram...iptions-2.html

    p.s. our avatars look hilarious next to each other
    Yeah, I help people a lot, but it is not for the motivations of a 2. The motivations can vary, such as trying to get something else done (3), but the person needing help is in my way, or the person is being a real nuisance I want to get rid of (9), or I'm really interested in the problem that they need solved (5). I maintain a helpful attitude because it maintains my balance (9), because it teaches me about how other people work (5), and because it helps me accomplish my goals in the larger scheme of things (3).

    Another reason I'm not a 2 is that, especially when I was younger, most people didn't want my version of "help": "You're doing it all wrong, you're supposed to do it this way ..." It took a long time to learn how to communicate my knowledge in forms that others could digest. Now, I tend to plant ideas and walk away, rather than poke at people until they back down and admit that I'm right. Both of these are a very different kind of help than a type 2 would employ.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Yeah, I help people a lot, but it is not for the motivations of a 2. The motivations can vary, such as trying to get something else done (3), but the person needing help is in my way, or the person is being a real nuisance I want to get rid of (9), or I'm really interested in the problem that they need solved (5). I maintain a helpful attitude because it maintains my balance (9), because it teaches me about how other people work (5), and because it helps me accomplish my goals in the larger scheme of things (3).

    Another reason I'm not a 2 is that, especially when I was younger, most people didn't want my version of "help": "You're doing it all wrong, you're supposed to do it this way ..." It took a long time to learn how to communicate my knowledge in forms that others could digest. Now, I tend to plant ideas and walk away, rather than poke at people until they back down and admit that I'm right. Both of these are a very different kind of help than a type 2 would employ.
    From the literature I’ve seen on tritype, the ordering of the numbers makes a difference in appearance of the individual to the outside world. The primary number is one’s core desires and needs, the secondary number is how one relates to/engages with the world, and the tertiary number is how one wants to be perceived by the world. So for example with me, 954, I have all the core desires of a 9, relate to the world as a 5, and wish to be perceived and recognized as a 4.

    Perhaps this might give you additional fodder for thought in considering the last number.

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    yeah. uumlau you have a "calm" to your posts that seems like it could be 9. it's not the same as with the 5s i know well, but they are Ti doms, and i always attributed your softer/steadier bearing to Te/Fi. both of my 5s are very "nice", though. reserved and kind - perhaps more so than me, upon first meeting.

    it strikes me that 5 and 9 both are "removed" types in a way.
    9, 5, and 4 are the withdrawn types in each of the triads. So yeah, if he has both 9 and 5 in his tritype he would be double withdrawn.

  3. #23
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    953 sounds right to me. You have a pretty smooth(9) analytical(5) vibe. 3-last was a matter of elimination.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  4. #24
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    haven't read more than a couple responses yet but...you just vibe very 9 to me
    you seem to lack neurosis...you seem content...like life flows through you
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  5. #25
    Undisciplined Starry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,628

    Default

    Okay...I kinda give up now on understanding e9. As far as I'm concerned there are now only 8 e-types haha! I mean...I'm starting to see senza as a 9 but it is still a tiny bit of a stretch. But I can't see Kasper as a e9...and I'm struggling to see uumlau as anything other than a 5w6...(my only 'relief' here is that Oro also sees uumlau as a 5w6...which helps my 'waning confidence' a tiny bit...but yah...I'm not getting the whole e9 thing). Believe me...I totally see the peacefulness in uumlau... but then I have two very peaceful INTJ 5w6 friends that have the same *vibe* (and a not-peaceful but hilarious INTJ 5w6 father). I have nothing meaningful to contribute here...but when I saw one of uumlau's videos...I got 5w6. And I give-up haha!

  6. #26
    Undisciplined Starry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,628

    Default

    Don't know a darn thing about this source but since it was easy for me to read I thought I would throw it up (it is very simple but does jive with the 9s I know in real life).
    It's from here

    The Peacemaker (the Nine)
    Peacemakers are receptive, good-natured, and supportive. They seek union with others and the world around them.

    How to Get Along with Me

    If you want me to do something, how you ask is important. I especially don't like expectations or pressure.
    I like to listen and to be of service, but don't take advatage of this.
    Listen until I finish speaking, even though I meander a bit.
    Give me time to finish things and make decisions. It's OK to nudge me gently and nonjudgmentally.
    Ask me questions to help me get clear.
    Tell me when you like how I look. I'm not averse to flattery.
    Hug me, show physical affection. It opens me up to my feelings.
    I like a good discussion but not a confrontation.
    Let me know you like what I've done or said.
    Laugh with me and share in my enjoyment of life.

    What I Like About Being a Nine

    being nonjudgmental and accepting
    caring for and being concerned about others
    being able to relax and have a good time
    knowing that most people enjoy my company; I'm easy to be around
    my ability to see many different sides of an issue and to be a good mediator and facilitator
    my heightened awareness of sensations, aesthetics, and the here and now
    being able to go with the flow and feel one with the universe

    What's Hard About Being a Nine

    being judged and misunderstood for being placid and/or indecisive
    being critical of myself for lacking initiative and discipline
    being too sensitive to criticism; taking every raised eyebrow and twitch of the mouth personally
    being confused about what I really want
    caring too much about what others will think of me
    not being listened to or taken seriously

    Nines as Children Often

    feel ignored and that their wants, opinions, and feelings are unimportant
    tune out a lot, especially when others argue
    are "good" children: deny anger or keep it to themselves

    Nines as Parents

    are supportive, kind, and warm
    are sometimes overly permissive or nondirective

  7. #27
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    Don't know a darn thing about this source but since it was easy for me to read I thought I would throw it up (it is very simple but does jive with the 9s I know in real life).
    It's from here
    I large part of the difficulty I have with the enneagram is that no type really describes me: they're too specific, and I end up saying "no" to a lot of the line items in such descriptions.

    Here's the 5 from the same site:


    About half of this describes me - and a lot of that half is the vague stuff that no one would disagree with. The rest seems to describe most INTPs I know.

    Here's the 6:

    The 6 description hardly has any traits that describe me: they're all about anxiety and indecision. Yet this is the "wing" that is supposed to modify the 5 description to be more like me?!

    It's isn't just the 9 description ... none of these describe me very well at all. They try to describe too much.

    Sure, you can put me into a 5w6 box and say I'm a healthy and well-adjusted INTJ, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't identify the description at all. It was just like this for me with MBTI, which classified me as ISTJ 15 or so years ago, and I dismissed it as junk, because the ISTJ descriptions only poorly mapped to my self-understanding. It sounded like all of those amateur psychologists I would occasionally encounter around the internet, who had never met me, but would gladly inform me about what my motivations "really were", for whom my denial was simply further proof that they had me pegged, even as they proved to me they didn't have any insight into me at all.

    There may be something to the tri-types, and I could see 9-5-3 or even 5-9-3. The blurbs PB posted and the bit I posted resonated for more strongly for me than any other enneagram-based description I had ever read. But as far as I'm concerned, the pure types, the wings, and the moving up or down those arbitrary cycles (2->5->8, etc., however that is supposed to work) don't resonate much at all. They sound like guesswork that is accurate only to the point that it's right w/r to the information I've given.

    I'm a nerd, so 5 is a good first guess ... but then the rest of the 5 description goes very wrong, pretending that I'm like all other nerds and share their neuroses. OK, so if I'm mostly free of neuroses, and very calm and peaceful, so maybe I'm a 9, but then that means I must be oh-so-worried about how people think about me and I must be very indecisive and lack ambition?!

    Yeah, if the tritype doesn't make sense, I'll just stay clear of enneagram.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  8. #28
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    It was just like this for me with MBTI, which classified me as ISTJ 15 or so years ago, and I dismissed it as junk, because the ISTJ descriptions only poorly mapped to my self-understanding.
    Well, I think what's revealing about this quote is that it didn't seem worthwhile when it pegged you as the wrong type.

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    There may be something to the tri-types, and I could see 9-5-3 or even 5-9-3. The blurbs PB posted and the bit I posted resonated for more strongly for me than any other enneagram-based description I had ever read.
    Yeah, I think that is the value of tritype.

    It hits from a number of different angles, so you get more specificity, and thus more accuracy.

    Part of the issue I've seen with the enneagram is that the descriptions tend to be more general, when your actual type is more specific.

    You'll see a description of a type 5 or a type 9, but that description isn't of a 5w4 or 5w6, or a 9w8 or 9w1.

    Then, if you do actually find a description of a type+wing, it doesn't include your health level or instinctual variant.

    Sometimes (rarely) you find descriptions that include type + wing + instinctual stacking, and those can be really insightful.

    But, for the most part, the descriptions are general, and you have to figure out how your more specific type would differ, kind of by triangulating from various sources about your more-specific type.

    What I can say with confidence is that INTJ 5w4 sp/sx (Nicodemus), INTJ 6w5 sx/so (me), INTJ 9w? ??/?? (you?) gives me a lot more person-specific information than just INTJ.

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    But as far as I'm concerned, the pure types, the wings, and the moving up or down those arbitrary cycles (2->5->8, etc., however that is supposed to work) don't resonate much at all. They sound like guesswork that is accurate only to the point that it's right w/r to the information I've given.
    Have you read through the health levels of 5s and 9s?

    The long detailed ones, in 'Personality Types', not the short versions.

    The point of the directions of integration/disintegration is that they're not actually arbitrary.

    It's a difficult conceptual barrier to get over --I had difficulty with it myself -- but there is a rationale behind it.

    Coincidentally, as a 9, your point of integration would be 3, so, if you're at the higher health levels, you could manifest the more positive aspects of a 3.

    From 'Personality Types', by Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson:

    When healthy Nines integrate to Three, they become self-assured and interested in developing themselves and their talents to the fullest extent possible. They move from self-possession to making some more of themselves, from a just-being-born presence in the world to an active, inner-directed force. Because they are already healthy and extremely balanced, they no longer live through someone else, nor do they need to conform to conventional roles as sources of self-esteem and identity. Instead, integrating Nines create themselves by asserting themselves properly. They no longer fear change, becoming more flexible and adaptable, entirely capable of dealing with reality as persons in their own right.

    Integrating Nines have connected with their vitality. In Freudian terms, they have gotten in touch with their id, the aggressive and instinctual side of themselves. Nines have always feared their aggressive impulses, and now they realize that they no longer have to, since these impulses are not necessarily destructive, but rather can lead to self-development.

    Their peace becomes less fragile because Nines discover that they can assert themselves without being aggressive toward others, and hence without jeopardizing their relationships. As their self-esteem increases, their relationships become more mature and satisfying. Integrating Nines find that they no longer have to be self-effacing to find someone with whom they can have a relationship. By being (and becoming) themselves, they attract others who find integrating Nines more interesting and desirable than ever before. It may surprise them, but others may even begin to identify with them, to seek them out, to accommodate themselves to them. While integrating Nines will likely discourage others from being dependent upon them, it will please them nonetheless, as well it should.
    ...

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I'm a nerd, so 5 is a good first guess ... but then the rest of the 5 description goes very wrong, pretending that I'm like all other nerds and share their neuroses. OK, so if I'm mostly free of neuroses, and very calm and peaceful, so maybe I'm a 9, but then that means I must be oh-so-worried about how people think about me and I must be very indecisive and lack ambition?!
    @bolded: no, those would be the more neurotic elements of a 9.

    Depending on your health level, you may exhibit very few of those traits.

    If you are healthy, you would manifest the positive aspects of the personality.

    Those are the negative aspects of the personality, that come out more as you go lower down the health levels.

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Yeah, if the tritype doesn't make sense, I'll just stay clear of enneagram.
    Also, as he is the resident expert, I think @BlackCat should get in on this.

  9. #29
    Undisciplined Starry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I large part of the difficulty I have with the enneagram is that no type really describes me: they're too specific, and I end up saying "no" to a lot of the line items in such descriptions.
    Oh whoops yah...I was actually using that e9 description to sorta highlight what I believe is my (fault) overly-simplistic, IxxP-ie understanding of the e9 type (although I just had an e9 rep me and say they very much related to that description...and the *simple* e7 description from that site does fit me quite well).

    e6 is a tricky bugger. I think a 6 wing can bring anxiety and paranoia...like it presents in my 5w6 sp/sx father...or it can bring a sense of warmth and humanity (humaness). But again...I'm not commenting on what I believe you are as I do not feel very confident here at all.

    I think Petra thought you were a 1w9 (just sharing that as it is 'e9 related').

  10. #30
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    A large part of the difficulty I have with the enneagram is that no type really describes me: they're too specific, and I end up saying "no" to a lot of the line items in such descriptions.
    Agreed. It's why I'm growing a deep appreciation for the nuances of tritype - it gets into the differentiation of what vibes for me / what I feel when I experience different people. And it digs into the specificity ... it goes deeper. I like that.

    It's isn't just the 9 description ... none of these describe me very well at all. They try to describe too much.
    There's a whack of stuff that does not compute for me either when I read through a 9 description. BUT, when I read 937, aha, yes, that fits better. I am goal-oriented, I do get stuff done, I am certainly enthusiastic and outgoing and can be charming ... yes. Better.

    There may be something to the tri-types, and I could see 9-5-3 or even 5-9-3. The blurbs PB posted and the bit I posted resonated for more strongly for me than any other enneagram-based description I had ever read. But as far as I'm concerned, the pure types, the wings, and the moving up or down those arbitrary cycles (2->5->8, etc., however that is supposed to work) don't resonate much at all. They sound like guesswork that is accurate only to the point that it's right w/r to the information I've given.
    937 resonates in a way that 9w1 does not for me personally ... just an additional FYI. Plus, I like the descriptions for moving through levels of health - links to follow.

    I'm a nerd, so 5 is a good first guess ... but then the rest of the 5 description goes very wrong, pretending that I'm like all other nerds and share their neuroses. OK, so if I'm mostly free of neuroses, and very calm and peaceful, so maybe I'm a 9, but then that means I must be oh-so-worried about how people think about me and I must be very indecisive and lack ambition?!
    @bold: Having a 3 in your tritype thus expands to explain your ambition ... it gives it added dimension.

    Yeah, if the tritype doesn't make sense, I'll just stay clear of enneagram.
    Do stick with it a while longer ... I sense we are onto the details and answer you seek.

    My two favorite 9 links:

    Here

    and

    Here

    Read, digest, cogitate, Ni-them and report back.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Similar Threads

  1. [Enne] Your enneagram type
    By Maverick in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 556
    Last Post: Yesterday, 08:42 PM
  2. [Enneagram] Everything Enneagram by Susan Reynolds
    By LonestarCowgirl in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-14-2015, 05:40 AM
  3. [Enneagram] The Enneagram - Understanding Yourself and Others in Your Life (Helen Palmer)
    By highlander in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-08-2014, 09:01 PM
  4. [Enneagram] The Wisdom of the Enneagram (Riso and Hudson)
    By highlander in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM
  5. [Enneagram] Enneagram Instinctual Subtypes
    By highlander in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2014, 08:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO