User Tag List

123 Last

Default I'm nothing like my type profile(ENTJ)

I test as ENTJ and individually I seem to be E -N- T- J but for some reason none of the ENTJ type profiles resonate much at all. I'm wondering could being a very strong N be throwing everything else off?

E/I. At first I thought I was I since I need a lot of time to myself and I can be a bit oblivious to my surroundings. But the giveaway that I'm an E is that I care about how others perceive me - I really can't see an I being image conscious at all. I find that I feel more alive around others as well, so long as I'm in the mood.

N/S. I'm N no doubt about that, my strongest function.

T/F. This is the one I'm least certain of.

T traits: - When I'm debating something, I'll very much argue from a systematic/analytical point of view and leave out the human element. I find arguing with Feelers can be like talking in circles for me because they always have to bring value judgements into everything, they seemingly can't seperate values from objective reality. Meanwhile, they think I'm 'amoral'.

-I'm much more interested in learning about how things are and how things work rather than how I think things should be and what is 'good' and 'evil'.

-whenever anyone tries to talk to me about their relationship problems my eyes glaze over

F-traits: - Although I'm quite thick skinned when I'm happy when I'm under a lot of stress I can become very sensitive and start taking everything personally. Aren't T's usually 'water off a ducks back'?

-Most T's I know seem to have that very reductionist 'this is nothing but that' mindset. I enjoy looking for underlying similarities where none exist on the surface. I'd describe my though patterns as holistic, yet impersonal and systematic. Theoretical physics and evolutionary development interest me.

-I gesticulate a lot and I've got an expressive face - an F trait?

I'm leaning towards T, I just don't think I'm enough of an idealist or interested in interpersonal relationships to be an F. Then again, maybe I could be an F that tends to be self centered, lol.

J/P. Quite sure I'm J. When I'm working on a project, I have to be able to know more or less what I'm going to write from start to finish before I begin writing. I've noticed P's just tend to jump in and make a start. I do procrastinate a lot, but I feel uncomfortable with that but much better when I've completed the goal I set out to do. My surroundings tend to look messy and P-like, but I actually much prefer things orderly, I'm just too N to get down to the practicality of cleaning/organizing often enough for that to happen.

The ENTJ profiles though just seem entirely too active, forceful and utilitarian to describe me however, even though I do tend to take charge of things. ENTJ's seem almost like sensors to me the way they are described. Do I sound like ENTJ, just more intuitive than most?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I'm an ENTJ, and I agree with you about the ENTJ being made out to be very active. I think it's a triviality depending on how old you are. If you're young, like me, it's likely to not matter, because you probably don't have a job, and so all you have to work hard on is academic work. However, I'm as forceful and utilitarian as the description makes out. You could be an ENFJ. In Keirsey, ENFJs are far less utilitarian than the ENTJ. They're also less forceful.

Are these three things the only thing you don't identify with in the ENTJ?

MBTI
    INTJ

Hi, Anna,

I'm still new at figuring all this out too, and it can really get pretty deep and complicated but there are a lot of "experts" here who will guide you.

Here's a link that dissonance gave me to look at:
    Terms With Nonobvious Meanings

You could try doing what I am doing... reading through all the descriptions and deciding which ones best describe me. For example, I am trying to figure out if I am more Fi or Fe, Ti or Te (referring to introverted/extroverted Feeling and Thinking). Once I have that figured out, I will know which type I truly am.

Another good one is at:
    The 8 Cognitive Processes

It's totally different from being an Extrovert or Introvert - it has to do with how one uses the functions of sensing and feeling and so forth. Hopefully someone will provide a link that describes all the different functions by type.

This site is geared towards INFJs, but this link really does a good job of explaining the whole "extroverted/introverted" thing (with pictures!):
    Cracking the Code

Welcome, and good luck!

MBTI
    INFJ

Ok, typically these are the kinds of questions I ask people in person when I'm helping them type themselves (these can be slightly oversimplified):

E/I:
    -After a long and stressful day at work/school do you... Call your friends to hang out (Extrovert) or Hang out by yourself to "recharge". (Introvert)
    - Prefer to put your thoughts out on the table (Extrovert) or Contemplate them internally before sharing them (Introvert).
    - As a child did your parents had to almost force you to go outside and play with friends. (Introvert).
    - Introvert to an Extrovert: "Excuse me for talking while you were interrupting."

T/F:
    - Think logical solutions are the best answer (T) or Think solutions that take everyone's feelings into account are the best answer (F).
    - Think it is more important to be right than liked (T) or Wont hesitate to take something back that you perceived offended someone for the sake of harmony (F).

J/P:
    - I find it easy to start projects, the hard part is finishing (P) or I find it hard to start projects, but once I get started I breeze right through it (J).
    - Always seem to be waiting for others that never seem to be on time (J), Easily distracted and get lost between the door and the car (P).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I'm an ENTJ....

wait... are you sure this time? (I didn't get the memo!)

Just as a general note, a lot of type still involves why you do something, not just that you do it.

For example, J's might be more inclined by nature to want everything planned out before they start writing ... but P's who were brought up in culture/environments where they developed a sense of perfectionism also will develop this trait.... which actually is bad for them, because they will be flipping back and forth between the need for control and the need to flex and probably not get much done or will lose their natural inspirations because they are insisting on too much closure and control.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

[/QUOTE]This leads them to a peculiar position of being very comfortable giving criticism, yet themselves being intensely sensitive to the criticism of others. Though clearly for different reasons than the Feeling types. The ENTP will fear the criticism of others not due to the dreaded negative emotional energy to be incurred or disharmony, but rather because it may threaten the perception of his self-competence. The latter tends to be vital due to the Introverted Thinking factor. However, after the ENTP has cultivated his auxiliary Introverted Thinking, he will likely concoct an inner standard to assess his own competence. ENTPs who make a conscious effort to cultivate their Introverted Thinking will notice themselves stepping away from the external world to embrace their own judgment, and incidentally much less influenced by the external situation. At such a point the ENTP will have most confidence in his own judgment. [QUOTE]

After reading this quote about what happens when ENTP's become less self-confident I'm much more convinced that I am in fact a Thinker. This would explain why when I'm happy I'm much more typical T but when things go wrong I seem to come over 'sensitive' and superficially F. When I'm not so self confident or going through a 'rough patch' the above description is me absolutely to the letter. My so called "sensitive, emotional" responses have nothing to do with fearing disharmony. HA! The more I trust my own judgement, the more T-ish I seem.

I just asked a friend if I'm 'forceful' and he certainly thinks I can be, yes! I think I'm more 'highly strung' than the typical ENTJ which could mean I'm ENFJ, but seems odd that someone as notoriously bad at empathy as me is an F. I'm wondering is there any clear cut distinction between a physiological response and Fe? For example, when I'm talking about something I'm really fascinated by I can come over hyper, perky, animated ect but I'm not sure whether this is 'feeling' in the Fe sense or just a physical response to mental activity. So maybe I'm a T but just kinda exitable? How else to explain someone who seems T in all areas exept for visible response?

ENTP profile resonates more than ENTJ, but I'm simply too focused on goals rather than possibilites and options to be a P. ENTP's would think I had a stick up the ass!

In a group project situation, I'll take the lead straight away and come up with the overall plan/vision. But after that i'll become bored with the more mundane details to the point where I seem more detached rather than in control. That is what I mean when I say I don't seem as forceful or pragmatic/utilitarian as the ENTJ descriptions.

MBTI
    INFJ

All I can really say is that for half a year I thought I was an INTJ when in fact I was most certainly an INFJ. I didn't really come to know this until I took the actual MBTI. The only solution I can offer you at this point is to drop all preconceptions about yourself. I was determined I was a rational person, but it didn't occur to me that being an F was perfectly rational in its own respect. I may be an F, but the word :feeling" is very misleading. Instead of feeling, think "values", or "ethics".

To illustrate this, on Star Trek there was an incident on a planet that left a lot of the crew dead. Spock (a quintessential T) insisted on leaving the planet immediately without burying the dead because they had no idea if there was going to be any future threat. Dr. McCoy (a quintessential F), however, insisted that they bury the dead because it is a basic cultural sign of respect (a "value") that everyone has a right to.

If someone would have given me this example I would have most certainly picked F instead of T, but instead I just thought T's were the smart people and F's were the lovey-dovey/blissfully ignorant people.

I would recommend you take a more reliable test. The Keirsey Temperament sorter in Please Understand Me II has proven to be the best for me when it comes to helping people type themselves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post

J/P:
    - I find it easy to start projects, the hard part is finishing (P) or I find it hard to start projects, but once I get started I breeze right through it (J).
    - Always seem to be waiting for others that never seem to be on time (J), Easily distracted and get lost between the door and the car (P).

i must be a J then, i totally relate to both of those.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Anna999 View Post
    The ENTJ profiles though just seem entirely too active, forceful and utilitarian to describe me however, even though I do tend to take charge of things. ENTJ's seem almost like sensors to me the way they are described. Do I sound like ENTJ, just more intuitive than most?
    You sound like my two female ENTJ friends, and by 'sound like' I mean that this is similar to what they say about their lack of recognition of themselves in the ENTJ profiles. In particular, one feels deprived of her introspection and the other of her people skills.

You guys (or rather, girls) have to get together and write some better ones.

All I can really say is that for half a year I thought I was an INTJ when in fact I was most certainly an INFJ. I didn't really come to know this until I took the actual MBTI. The only solution I can offer you at this point is to drop all preconceptions about yourself. I was determined I was a rational person, but it didn't occur to me that being an F was perfectly rational in its own respect. I may be an F, but the word :feeling" is very misleading. Instead of feeling, think "values", or "ethics".

To illustrate this, on Star Trek there was an incident on a planet that left a lot of the crew dead. Spock (a quintessential T) insisted on leaving the planet immediately without burying the dead because they had no idea if there was going to be any future threat. Dr. McCoy (a quintessential F), however, insisted that they bury the dead because it is a basic cultural sign of respect (a "value") that everyone has a right to.

By this definition I'm almost undoubtedly a T. I just read about ENFJ and it's practically the opposite of me - just no. My strongest functions seem to be Ti, Ne and Ni. The ENTP profiles are almost spookily accurate in places. The problem with this is I don't see how I can possibly be a P? Keirsley says I'm ENTJ, but my Te is just not quite strong enough for ENTJ. I think very strong N can overwhealm everything else and make it hard to discern. Is it possible to be ENTJ Ti Ne?