• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tawanda, an introvert? WHAT?!

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've been thinking, am I really an introvert? Or just a socially awkward and inept extrovert?

You can add input if you would like to, but this is just going to be a rambling of thoughts to organize things for the most part.

I feel like I've changed a lot during break, most of that change was learning to be alone and not talk to anyone for extended amounts of time, and then in time learning to be okay with that.

Now that classes have started, all I want to do is immerse myself in my work by myself and do my workout routines by myself without having to deal with other people. I'd rather have nothing to do with anyone around me, or I actually do, but find it to be too much of a waste of energy.

So, out of that, I feel like I'm becoming much more introverted, but at the same time I'm thinking it could just be the fact that being around others has dropped my self-esteem way too low and would rather be by myself trying to build it back up rather than be around others and feel like shit about myself.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My question for you is what made you think that you were an extrovert in the first place? I mean, even introverts can enjoy the process of socializing with friends or doing things, and the same can be said for extroverts who enjoy some alone time. It could also be possible that your even on the I/E dichotomy, which would make the process of being one or the either more difficult. Also, it terms of cognitive functions, which one is your primary source of action, Ti or Se?

Also, how come you self-esteem decreases around others? Do you mean people in general, or a specific group of friends? I mean if it's the latter then consider how much you enjoy to interact with other people in social situation, and whether you derive energy from doing so.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My question for you is what made you think that you were an extrovert in the first place? I mean, even introverts can enjoy the process of socializing with friends or doing things, and the same can be said for extroverts who enjoy some alone time. It could also be possible that your even on the I/E dichotomy, which would make the process of being one or the either more difficult. Also, it terms of cognitive functions, which one is your primary source of action, Ti or Se?

Also, how come you self-esteem decreases around others? Do you mean people in general, or a specific group of friends? I mean if it's the latter then consider how much you enjoy to interact with other people in social situation, and whether you derive energy from doing so.

Haha, I dunno why. I thought I liked being around people a while ago, but maybe I really don't. And I usually test Se highest, with Ti and Ne following a very close second...but I think it depends. Some days I use a lot more Ti, others a lot more Se, etc.

I'm not really sure what it is that makes my self-esteem drop around others, and usually it's just around people in general that I know to some extent, even if it's just their name. I've been thinking of possible reasons as to why this is so, such as I get upset about how close others seem to be with each other, and how I would also like seemingly close relationships in college, or that they're much less socially awkward than I am, and that I would like to be like that, but without acting around others, or that I want to relate to other people, but I just can't....etc.

I enjoy being around my close friends a lot, but we've been friends for years and because of college it seems that we're growing apart and making new friends. I'm trying to increase my social interactions with others by joining more things, like a sorority (mostly because it looks good on a resume too) and similar things to that.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
WHAAAAT cant be !!!!!! The paper clip boy so many people know this can only be a real life of the party extrovert !! :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
To give my 5 cents: I suppose being an extroverted perceiver with an introvert rational function only second place often makes you think you are introverted. I can stand the party very long, in fact I am staying up 24 hours today cause my girlfriend is working the night shift and I am waiting for her. This no problem for me, but when I really want to concentrate on a thing, I kinda retreat a bit.

I think you have aswell to make a difference between social introversion and mbti introversion. To me Ti means that I finally will decide on important things for myself. I go out in the world and seek advice on a topic from people but my final decision sometimes can be still completly different from what people told me, cause I came to terms with it my own way.

Social introversion on the other hand I think is often completly unaffected by your mbti type. I am a kinda weird guy, it doesnt matter where you would take me with you, I will always make a dent in a crowd. Meaning I am very conspiciously different from how you'ld do things normally. This not my intention, I just learnt many things my way and this one is most often very uncoventional. Many people will immediantly type me to be an introvert in the social sense, yet I am convinced I am an extrovert in the mbti sense cause I cant go completly without the opinion of others on a topic. Quite on the contrary.

I think by you making this thread, where you seek the opinion of others, you prove a bit that you are an mbti E. This's my opinion, you are at last the one who can judge this the best.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I've been thinking, am I really an introvert? Or just a socially awkward and inept extrovert?

You can add input if you would like to, but this is just going to be a rambling of thoughts to organize things for the most part.

I feel like I've changed a lot during break, most of that change was learning to be alone and not talk to anyone for extended amounts of time, and then in time learning to be okay with that.

Now that classes have started, all I want to do is immerse myself in my work by myself and do my workout routines by myself without having to deal with other people. I'd rather have nothing to do with anyone around me, or I actually do, but find it to be too much of a waste of energy.

So, out of that, I feel like I'm becoming much more introverted, but at the same time I'm thinking it could just be the fact that being around others has dropped my self-esteem way too low and would rather be by myself trying to build it back up rather than be around others and feel like shit about myself.

Could it be... Just hear me out here... That you feel like you're forced to socialize at school? You have a big P-ness that likes to do what it wants when it wants to do something and if it's bogged down by rules it retreats. Perhaps somewhat like a e5? It's a thought process that works for a reason. Selfish? Yep. It happens. If you begin to socializing when you feel like it, you might find others who are on your schedule as well.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is it possible you're just ENTP?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
When you said just you thought about a shiny knight who brings peace to the land right ?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh, also what Entropie said about MBTI E being different than social E.

Plus, people don't always see themselves correctly. I really had issues with an I/E split, but I met an ISTP from this site and apparently he thought I talked too much, and it's true, if I get going I have trouble shutting up.

I also tend to seek the opinions of others and want external stimulation EVEN THOUGH I do not consider myself a "party person" (except for a year or two in my early twenties when I went crazy) who socializes all the time.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To give my 5 cents: I suppose being an extroverted perceiver with an introvert rational function only second place often makes you think you are introverted. I can stand the party very long, in fact I am staying up 24 hours today cause my girlfriend is working the night shift and I am waiting for her. This no problem for me, but when I really want to concentrate on a thing, I kinda retreat a bit.

I think you have aswell to make a difference between social introversion and mbti introversion. To me Ti means that I finally will decide on important things for myself. I go out in the world and seek advice on a topic from people but my final decision sometimes can be still completly different from what people told me, cause I came to terms with it my own way.

Social introversion on the other hand I think is often completly unaffected by your mbti type. I am a kinda weird guy, it doesnt matter where you would take me with you, I will always make a dent in a crowd. Meaning I am very conspiciously different from how you'ld do things normally. This not my intention, I just learnt many things my way and this one is most often very uncoventional. Many people will immediantly type me to be an introvert in the social sense, yet I am convinced I am an extrovert in the mbti sense cause I cant go completly without the opinion of others on a topic. Quite on the contrary.

I think by you making this thread, where you seek the opinion of others, you prove a bit that you are an mbti E. This's my opinion, you are at last the one who can judge this the best.

Yeah, I get the social aspect confused with MBTI sometimes...but the part I bolded is what I seem to get pissed off about the most. I can't find my own answers to things, even though I try (maybe I try too hard) but I feel like once I make a decision on my life that I have decided is best for me, for others they seem to be at unanimous disagreement, and tell me I'm wrong, or that I'm weird, etc. and then I don't know what to do. I stick with what I decide, but sometimes have that gut feeling that what the majority is telling me is possibly correct, and that my decision was bad.

Haha, that's impressive. *throws a Red Bull over*

Could it be... Just hear me out here... That you feel like you're forced to socialize at school? You have a big P-ness that likes to do what it wants when it wants to do something and if it's bogged down by rules it retreats. Perhaps somewhat like a e5? It's a thought process that works for a reason. Selfish? Yep. It happens. If you begin to socializing when you feel like it, you might find others who are on your schedule as well.

Hmm...interesting. Yes...and no. I want to socialize at school, but my massive P-ness doesn't want to conform to the rule of how people socialize, and what people talk about, etc. I find most conversations dumb and boring, and I can't just walk up to people and talk to them, as much as I would like to.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISTPs can present as quite people orientated, while still being Introverts. When stressed they Extrovert more.

ENTPs can present as quite people ambivalent, while still being Extroverts. When stressed they Introvert more.

So, what type do you wanna be :newwink:

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISTPs can present as quite people orientated, while still being Introverts. When stressed they Extrovert more.

ENTPs can present as quite people ambivalent, while still being Extroverts. When stressed they Introvert more.

So, what type do you wanna be :newwink:

Haha, well if you put it that way, I'm definitely ENTP, as I sort of questioned if I was more introvert during a time of possibly self-induced stress...which I'm still probably in. :doh:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If you're still stressed go back to the Quenk threads and see if you can identify how your inferior shows up when stressed.
ENP
ESP
ITP