User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Read Please

4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yes I think the quest for self is both an Fi and E4 thing.

However, I've also read that INFPs can be more openly opinionated than ISFPs, don't know what that's about, but appears to be true. My ISFP aunt was always pretty go-with-the-flow and laid back, unless you pissed her off, but I wouldn't mistake her for an ISFJ because she seemed to be so freakin' casual about everything, she had no sense of running a regimented household like a lot of the SFJ women I knew grewing up...I think any sense of "proper" behavior she may have had was very lax, almost seemingly non-existent. I always felt so, so accepted by her. She was like a more settled-down, less dramatic version of my mother....perhaps this is what seperates ISFP from ESFP, I don't know. They aren't sisters. My ISFP aunt is actually my ISFJ uncle's (mom's brother) wife.

ISFJ uncle always seemed more dutiful and traditional than she was, more into health and fitness, where as she was just kind of like "whatever" and was more into making crafts, knitting, and reading about dream analysis and things. They both have a great sense of humor, though, and are very nice people.
    She sounds like me.

However, part of my "growing up," I've become somewhat xSFJ-like. I try to keep list to keep myself organized, however I'd say it's not my forte. And I'm very regimented about the house... but I think this has a lot to do with feeling like a failure and having disgusting roommates that only add in to that feeling. Maybe it's my ESFJ shadow. Ugh.

Anyways, back to point-liya... I do think you exhibit more Fi than Ti. I've seen you ask a lot of questions about INFP's and ISFP's, but I think it might be interesting if you told us more about yourself and those of us here on typec might be able to provide helpful input. Just a suggestion.

So, tell us your interests and hobbies. Tell us what you think about, or how you think about things. Etc, etc.

Also, I thought nameless hero did a great job explaining how Fi works in detail, which you might find of use, as he touches on how Fi rationalizes:
    "All worldviews founded upon emotion and not clear-cut rationale are bound to degenerate into chicanery."

If the content of your reason is not ultimately (and always) the appreciation of the unique value of each of us, it will not be "reason" at all, but a strange cult dedicated to the denial of other human beings their inner worth. Introverted feeling is the recognition of worth. It is the capital that money measures. Extroverted feeling is the foundation of diplomatic alliance. F(e) is the content of strategic logic. It is the substance of realpolitik.

F(i) is the following:

Fi (Introverted Feeling):

Essence Reading: Fi is considering importance and worth. It allows one to decide if something is of significance and worth standing up for. It serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in. There can be a continual weighing of the situational worth or importance of everything and patient balancing of the core issues of peace and conflict in life’s situations. It helps Fi types know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the “essence” of a person or a project and reading fine distinctions among feeling tones.

Moral Compass: Fi is clarifying values to achieve accord. Fi types have high personal moral standards and are particularly sensitive to inconsistencies in their environment between what is being said and what is being done. Empty promises of adhering to something they value set off an inner alarm and they may transform themselves into a powerful crusading force.

Empathy: Fi types are usually gentile and kind. They are sensitive to others’ pain, restlessness or general discomfort and strive to find happiness, balance and wholeness for themselves in order to help others find joy, satisfaction and plenitude. They are deeply empathetic, and they are usually tolerant and open-minded, insightful, flexible and understanding. They have good listening skills, are genuinely concerned and insightful. At their best, they inspire others to be themselves. These types focus on the good in others, so they tend to downplay others faults, often forgiving them for the slights of minor hurtful behavior. Their habitual approach to people is nonjudgmental, understanding and forgiving. They seek to affirm all parties in a controversy and thus readily the validity of contradictory points of view. Underlying their characteristic tolerance is an overarching natural curiosity. They find the diversity in the world immensely appealing.

Devotion: Intense and passionate about their values and deeply held beliefs. They are quietly persistent in raising awareness of cherished causes and often fight for the underdog in quiet or not-so-quiet ways.

Idealism: They live life in an intently personal fashion, acting on the belief that each persona is unique and that social norms are to be respected only if they do not hinder personal development or expression. Moral choices prompted by the Fi types are not derived from legal principles or the social obligations that accrue to our roles in the world. They’re derived from the subjective experience of being human, our will to deal with a situation in terms of human ideal. Fi bypasses structural considerations and puts human value first. They place a high value on affirming both their own and others’ individuality and uniqueness."
    Now lets look at an example of NF reasoning.
    F(i) is the moral principle of reciprocity. Presented as cold logic, it is akin to the Kantian categorical imperative. It is dispassion and repose.
    Look at this statement and tell me if it is T(i) or T (e) or F (e) or F(i): "It is foolishness and endless trouble to throw a stone at every dog that barks at you."

Surely, that it is a synthetic proposition. It is not true by definition. So it is not T(i).
    Furthermore, it is a statement that is not categorical, but hypothetical. As T(e) is the application of a single standard to all, and this statement implies that our responses to threats should be forbearing rather than categorical standard protocol.

A deeper look reveals that this statement is abstract and tolemetic. Therefore, it is statement of an intuitive introvert. (The stones and dogs are placeholders for something else - namely people and their efforts at discharging anger, stated in a cagey N(i) manner.)

So it is not T(i) nor T(e) and it is N(i), so then is it NF(e) or NF(i)? In answer it is N(i)+F(e). Here is the quote from the cognitive processes page at the

Fe is "Social Awareness: Fe is conceptual and analytic. It encourages us to make rational choices, to measure our options for relationship against external standards of behaviors. [Customs] Fe prompts in this regard are not a matter of emotion, impulse, or doing what we learned in kindergarten. These are secular rituals—visible signs that mark a participant’s membership in the community at large. Such rituals can touch us, but they are not occasions of sentiment. They’re a vocabulary, part of our feeling lexicon. They submit to collective form an experience ordinarily confined to individual history, allowing us to express the kinds of relationships important to us as people. Social values mark these wares of decision making that go beyond one person’s immediate experience to affect the community as a whole. Apart from questions of moral rectitude, our behaviors toward others have implications, whether we intend them or not. Fe types seek continuity through harmonious relationships and collective values. They excel at picking up on the tone of a situation and acting accordingly, adding warmth to a cool setting or turning sour into sweet."

I think I would like a world with more NF crusaders. "It is foolishness and endless trouble to throw stones at every dog that barks at you." Yes indeed.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Junior Member Array

You're describing the thing that is called Youth. Enjoy it, explore yourself, learn about things, discover your limits, move where you desire and at the speed you want.
    Look back after weeks, months, decades having discovered your MBTI and remember fondly your exploration, instead of cringing at insecurity.