• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or INTP?

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
I've almost always tested as INFP, but I guess a bit of that could be down to knowing the types of questions and wanting to have an INFP result again :blush: recently I've tested as an INTP a couple of times, and both profiles fit me pretty well... how can I tell which one I am? Or am I doomed to be an INxP? :dry:
Any help is appreciated :D

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Could you explain this "daydreaming" you mention in your profile?

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
Depending on my mood, I might daydream about conversations I may have with people, the theory of evolution, what it would be like to fly, how pretty the clouds are etc.... :D

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Depending on my mood, I might daydream about conversations I may have with people, the theory of evolution, what it would be like to fly, how pretty the clouds are etc.... :D

I'm not at all sure what you describe is a determinant. Thinking is a major activity for me and is not mood dependent although the mood may determine what I think about. Some might refer to it as daydreaming.

heart

heart on fire
INFP

Daydreaming and your avatar just scream INFP over INTP to me.

INTP think all day, INFP daydream all day. ;)

Did you see "Girl with a Pearl Earring" or read the book? If you did and you really got into it, then I say INFP for sure. All that underlying, secret interpersonal intrique, man oh man is it a INFP dream come true to watch. Very Fi main character.

MerkW

INFP

Daydreaming and your avatar just scream INFP over INTP to me.

INTP think all day, INFP daydream all day. ;)

Did you see "Girl with a Pearl Earring" or read the book? If you did and you really got into it, then I say INFP for sure. All that underlying, secret interpersonal intrique, man oh man is it a INFP dream come true to watch. Very Fi main character.

INTPs daydream as much as INFPs do. It all has to do with the auxiliary Ne.

heart

heart on fire
What are you saying is the defining difference?

practical application possiblities?

I am saying I think INFP daydream about daydreamy/interpersonal things and INTP spend their time thinking their thoughts about more logic based ideas. I am not saying I have the definaitve answer, I was just expressing an opinion. Take with a grain of salt.

MerkW

If you don't, I HIGHLY question how much of an INTP you are.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Wait a second, back up the trolley. I'm not much of a daydreamer either.

There's no need to expound greatly on the connection b/w Ne and daydreaming but a brief explanation would be appreciated.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Okay... I had to look it up:

Daydream: The condition of being so lost in solitary thought as to be unaware of one's surroundings: absent-mindedness, abstraction, bemusement, brown study, muse, reverie, study, trance.

Do it all the time and I call it thinking.

MerkW

Daydream: The condition of being so lost in solitary thought as to be unaware of one's surroundings: absent-mindedness, abstraction, bemusement, brown study, muse, reverie, study, trance.

Exactly. These are typical characteristics of any type with Ni or Ne (especially INxx, though).
If one claims to be any INxx type yet does not have the characteristics listed under the definition of daydreaming, especially those which are bold-faced, then I would greatly question their claims.

heart

heart on fire
Okay fair enough, but I think the topics of daydreams for INTP and INFP would be different.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
So much for my Ne. I'm sharp as a tack and never miss a thing.

Dana, you have my condolences.