• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or INTP?

MerkW

Okay fair enough, but I think the topics of daydreams for INTP and INFP would be different.

Undoubtedly so. You are quite right here. Although both types would spend time theorizing hypothetical scenarios, an INFP's daydreams would be more focused on some personal quest, while the daydream of an INTP would probably revolve more significantly around a systematic interest of their own.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Okay fair enough, but I think the topics of daydreams for INTP and INFP would be different.

You could be right but I take acception to the idea deep thought/daydreaming about relationship matters are FP and not particularly TP though. A trip to INTPc would show that relationships are a big deal and, therefore, pretty deeply thought about.

MerkW

Nuclear reactors or chaos theory?

Occasionally, yes. But I suppose it would really vary from one INTP to another. I am very interested in theoretical physics and math, so yes, a lot of my daydreams focus on hypothetical thought experiments within those aforementioned realms. I also daydream about what could possibly occur in the future quite often. Sometimes for fun or out of sheer boredom, I daydream about weird scenarios, like, "what would happen if all water on planet earth instantaneously transformed into pea soup?," or "what is the most inventive yet efficient way to dispose of a rotting corpse without being caught?"

heart

heart on fire
Undoubtedly so. You are quite right here. Although both types would spend time theorizing hypothetical scenarios, an INFP's daydreams would be more focused on some personal quest, while the daydream of an INTP would probably revolve more significantly around a systematic interest of their own.

I would say that my daydreams revolve more around interpersonal, emotional, psychological, literature, and related topics, but not of course exclusively, but predominating. Also dualities (good vs. evil, feeling vs. thinking, light vs. dark) and future possiblities.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Acid bath would be my guess. Although I think you would still have to get rid of the teeth. Hmm ... angle grinder, perhaps?

MerkW

Acid bath would be my guess. Although I think you would still have to get rid of the teeth. Hmm ... angle grinder, perhaps?

I decided that I would (1) preserve the corpse in fluids (to stop the smell, thus eliminating the possibility of neighbors becoming suspicious about the wretched fumes) and then (2) launch the corpse into deep space via a self-constructed space pod. Just in case (you never know), I will launch the space pod in the precise direction of the sun.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Heart... are you thinking of fantasizing as daydreaming maybe? Because I don't do much of that.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Heart... are you thinking of fantasizing as daydreaming maybe? Because I don't do much of that.

The definition I found for it was "A dreamlike musing or fantasy while awake, especially of the fulfillment of wishes or hopes."

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
The definition I found for it was "A dreamlike musing or fantasy while awake, especially of the fulfillment of wishes or hopes."

I saw that one too along with a blurb about it not being agreed upon by "experts." Since my night dreams (dream state) fit the one I posted and not that one which is actually about the subject and not the state, its the one I chose.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes.. I agree with your definition. The one I found was what gave me the impression I was not a daydreamer.

heart

heart on fire

No not necessarily "fantasy". BTW I already conceeded to the definition provided and wanted to focus now on the differences between what INFP daydream about and what INTP daydream about. :D

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
:blush: ack I just realised I never said how grateful I am to you guys for helping me decide that I'm INFP :D so, um, thanks! :D:D:D

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think a good question to ask someone trying to find out which of these two types they are is to look at a) their values and beliefs and b) their hobbies and interests.

WobblyStilettos, I'd be grateful if you would write a description of these two ideas. That might give both myself and others an idea as to whether you have Ti or Fi as a dominant function.

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
I think a good question to ask someone trying to find out which of these two types they are is to look at a) their values and beliefs and b) their hobbies and interests.

WobblyStilettos, I'd be grateful if you would write a description of these two ideas. That might give both myself and others an idea as to whether you have Ti or Fi as a dominant function.

oki doki,
a) I'm a christian, but not a bible-basher; I think no one should try and control what people should and should not believe :D and what I value most in the world is my family :wubbie:
b) I haven't got all that much in the way of hobbies, I like reading, and listening to music :D:D:D I tend to like a good argument as well, as long as it's not too serious and no one gets very upset (a little annoyed is ok ;))

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From that alone I'd say INFP. Reading the rest of your responses to others on the forum, I'd retain this belief. You seem to be quite emotionally expressive, too much so for an INTP IMO.