User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: ISTJ vs INTJ

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default ISTJ vs INTJ

How can you tell whether someone is the ISTJ type or the INTJ type? I know enough about MBTI theory to know that ISTJs have domSi and INTJs have domNi... the trouble is that behaviourally, I find it hard to tell them apart. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to tell the difference?

MBTI
    OMNi

The one that is smiling and nodding while completely ignoring everything you say is the ISTJ, whereas the one who is arguing with you relentlessly is the INTJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

If you read the descriptions, the differences should be as apparent as a slap in the face. Firstly, and most evidently, is the different in temperament. The ISTJ is a representative of the SJ temperament, and the INTJ is a rep of the NT one. I won't throw a load of NT/SJ buzzwords at you, because that doesn't help me, and I doubt it really helps anyone. Essentially, get to the core of each type. Notice how the ISTJ is far more tied down to convention and preserving said convention than the independent and free-thinking INTJ is. The ISTJ cares far more for authority and is proud to be loyal to it; an INTJ would ruthlessly challenge it before entering into any kind of contract with authority.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    If you read the descriptions, the differences should be as apparent as a slap in the face. Firstly, and most evidently, is the different in temperament. The ISTJ is a representative of the SJ temperament, and the INTJ is a rep of the NT one. I won't throw a load of NT/SJ buzzwords at you, because that doesn't help me, and I doubt it really helps anyone. Essentially, get to the core of each type. Notice how the ISTJ is far more tied down to convention and preserving said convention than the independent and free-thinking INTJ is. The ISTJ cares far more for authority and is proud to be loyal to it; an INTJ would ruthlessly challenge it before entering into any kind of contract with authority.
    Well said. Here's an example that illustrates the difference between the two types.

The INTJ would be create the policy. Whereas the ISTJ would ensure that it was enforced.

Concerning the OP, most people will agree that ISTJs due to their preference for Si are far more pedantic than the intuitive INTJ.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

What about ISTP - ISTJ - INTJ ?

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Thank you so far. I agree that the differences between Ni and Si should be rather obvious - yet it's hard to examine when IxTJs are so reserved and unforthcoming about their private lives.

I think my opinion has been skewed because a friend of mine originally typed as INTJ (when it's become quite apparent that he is ISTJ), so now I measure INTJs using ISTJ characteristics.

I think what happened is that he somehow typed as INTJ and is now conforming to the description of INTJ as found on the website! He disliked the description when he first read it.

Any further clarifications would still be helpful!

MBTI
    TiSe

Actually there would be no obviousness in the usage since both types can use it fairly well, neither function focuses on the present and both ITJs show the world only their extraverted function (Te). I am not sure why how one would know whether they're observing any introverted function since it is just that introverted.

On the other hand you may be able to make a distinction through their core temperament needs. I would say that ISTJs like all SJs, will be civic minded. I think that ISTJs are probably more prone to being mistyped as extraverts because they can be community and group active.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    What about ISTP - ISTJ - INTJ ?
    An ISTP could be mistaken for an INTJ because both types are relatively non-conformist and desire proficiency.

MBTI
    INTJ

In my experience, if you are trying to tell ISTJ/INTJ...you look at how they look at you. ISTJs seem to have more of an openness about them, whereas an INTJ might look like, "Why is this person talking to me?"
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    The one that is smiling and nodding while completely ignoring everything you say is the ISTJ, whereas the one who is arguing with you relentlessly is the INTJ.
    I argue relentlessly.

Not because I enjoy it, it's like, "You're wrong. Your thoughts are like a picture frame hanging crookedly on the wall which I am compelled to straighten."

Introverted Sensation

That description of Si is what nailed it for me.