• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP, INFJ, or INTJ?

I'm Unregistered

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
4w5
Hello, everyone. I'm a confused INXX who is either an INFP, INTJ, or INFJ (INTP is probably unlikely), and I basically want to know which one seems to click with me a bit more. I'll give you some information so you can figure it out easily...I don't want to bother you with vaguity, SP's and SJ's!

OK, just to give you a heads up, I'm going to describe my personality to you. Whatever you get out of it, hit me with it. It won't hurt!

I am a generally quiet person. I don't enjoy talking to others in person, and I like my privacy. I don't really like long conversations about things, and I don't like small talk (I can do it, I just don't like it. I pretend to like it). I enjoy my privacy, and I get bothered if people look at my writings and things like that because I'm insecure about that. I don't like shallow talk, either. I've never enjoyed talking about celebrities and boys. I never really enjoyed it.
I am very imaginative, and I can think of off-the-wall ideas, such as the Oprah Apocolypse. I enjoy writing, especially if there is a monolouge involved. I don't really like slang, if that's pertinent to finding your type. I am also overly-analytical, and I can bother myself for days just trying to analyze things. My mom hates it. I am also intuitive about people, and I can pick up on their interests, emotions, and personality pretty well. I'm a fast learner (if that's important to type), I love academics, and I'm good with abstract subjects. I do, however, research, and I will be detail-oriented if I'm interested. Otherwise, I don't really care.
I can seem insensitive, but I'm not. I'm actually pretty caring. I don't like injustice, and I can get upset easily by it. I cry easily; I can get upset about a sad scene in a movie or book for days and I can't stop feeling upset about it. I anger easily, especially when people do something cruel, which most people really do, anyway. I like to help people, especially children, and, as I said before, I am intuitive about people's feelings. I'm sometimes idealistic, but sometimes, my idealism gets burnt out, and I just don't feel it anymore. I can't stand the problems in the world. I'm also very blunt, and I get angry at myself for that. I'm also pretty detachted sometimes, and perfectionistic, but at the same time I'm warm. It's weird.
This one's pretty hard. I like to be organized, but I don't. I need a lot of scheduling and planning, but I need a lot of variety. I have a rebellious streak, but I want to conform so people won't get mad at me. I just don't know...

If I need to describe more, tell me! ^^ I'm glad you came on here and gave your best effort, and I would like to thank you for helping me!

See ya,

I'm Unregistered.

rav3n

It`s really difficult to type someone online until you get to know them better. And even then, it can be nigh impossible for all kinds of reasons of which one is that short-term behaviour doesn`t always reflect natural cognition preferences.

Having said that, my inexpert best guess would be INFJ.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Why not S? Because you used 'intuitive' and 'abstract' in your description of yourself?

You sound like an IxFP.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ditto, INFJ or INFP - my guess is on INFP. i'll include ISFP too.

all FP types have "people intuition" of a sort, in that they find it easy to pick up on others' feelings - N has more to do with manipulating context in general - NP types suspend context and look for universal meaning while NJ types interchange contexts to deconstruct / find new understanding / forsee patterns.

which set resounds with you more:

INFP
Primary Cognitive Process - Introverted Feeling: Valuing and considering importance, beliefs, and worth
It is often hard to assign words to the values used to make introverted Feeling judgments since they are often associated with images, feeling tones, and gut reactions more than words. As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in. There can be a continual weighing of the situational worth or importance of everything and a patient balancing of the core issues of peace and conflict in life’s situations. We engage in the process of introverted Feeling when a value is compromised and we think, “Sometimes, some things just have to be said.” On the other hand, most of the time this process works “in private” and is expressed through actions. It helps us know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the “essence” of a person or a project and reading fine distinctions among feeling tones.
Supporting Cognitive Process - Extraverted iNtuiting: Interpreting meanings and interconnections to other contexts
Extraverted iNtuiting involves noticing hidden meanings and interpreting them, often entertaining a wealth of possible interpretations from just one idea or interpreting what someone’s behavior really means. It also involves seeing things “as if,” with various possible representations of reality. Using this process, we can juggle many different ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and meanings in our mind at once with the possibility that they are all true. This is like weaving themes and threads together. We don’t know the weave until a thought thread appears or is drawn out in the interaction of thoughts, often brought in from other contexts. Thus a strategy or concept often emerges from the here-and-now interactions, not appearing as a whole beforehand. Using this process we can really appreciate brainstorming and trust what emerges, enjoying imaginative play with scenarios and combining possibilities, using a kind of cross-contextual thinking. Extraverted iNtuiting also can involve catalyzing people and extemporaneously shaping situations, spreading an atmosphere of change through emergent leadership.

--

INFJ
Primary Cognitive Process - Introverted iNtuiting: Foreseeing implications, transformations, and likely effects
Introverted iNtuiting involves synthesizing the seemingly paradoxical or contradictory, which takes understanding to a new level. Using this process, we can have moments when completely new, unimagined realizations come to us. A disengagement from interactions in the room occurs, followed by a sudden “Aha!” or “That’s it!” The sense of the future and the realizations that come from introverted iNtuiting have a sureness and an imperative quality that seem to demand action and help us stay focused on fulfilling our vision or dream of how things will be in the future. Using this process, we might rely on a focal device or symbolic action to predict, enlighten, or transform. We could find ourselves laying out how the future will unfold based on unseen trends and telling signs. This process can involve working out complex concepts or systems of thinking or conceiving of symbolic or novel ways to understand things that are universal. It can lead to creating transcendent experiences or solutions.
Supporting Cognitive Process - Extraverted Feeling: Connecting and considering others and the group
The process of extraverted Feeling often involves a desire to connect with (or disconnect from) others and is often evidenced by expressions of warmth (or displeasure) and self-disclosure. The “social graces,” such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, often revolve around the process of extraverted Feeling. Keeping in touch, laughing at jokes when others laugh, and trying to get people to act kindly to each other also involve extraverted Feeling. Using this process, we respond according to expressed or even unexpressed wants and needs of others. We may ask people what they want or need or self-disclose to prompt them to talk more about themselves. This often sparks conversation and lets us know more about them so we can better adjust our behavior to them. Often with this process, we feel pulled to be responsible and take care of others’ feelings, sometimes to the point of not separating our feelings from theirs. We may recognize and adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along.

--

ISFP
Primary Cognitive Process - Introverted Feeling: Valuing and considering importance, beliefs, and worth
It is often hard to assign words to the values used to make introverted Feeling judgments since they are often associated with images, feeling tones, and gut reactions more than words. As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in. There can be a continual weighing of the situational worth or importance of everything and a patient balancing of the core issues of peace and conflict in life’s situations. We engage in the process of introverted Feeling when a value is compromised and we think, “Sometimes, some things just have to be said.” On the other hand, most of the time this process works “in private” and is expressed through actions. It helps us know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the “essence” of a person or a project and reading fine distinctions among feeling tones.
Secondary Cognitive Process - Extraverted Sensing: Experiencing and acting in the immediate context
Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail. We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result. We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context. An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment. A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us. The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.

all the info comes from here :)

chess

MBTI Type
ENTP
Greetings, ironically named anonymous pilgrim. I've had a fair bit of exposure to INF's, and at risk of judging by first impressions, you're INFJ. The assortment of varied details you gave were actually very insightful into your type :)

I'm Unregistered said:
I don't enjoy talking to others in person, and I like my privacy. I don't really like long conversations about things,
This is a clue - not a big clue, but a clue nonetheless. J's can't deal with new things as well as P's can; this would manifest itself as an unwillingness to speak to new people, and a dislike of long conversations heading in uncharted directions. This could be general insecurity/past trauma/mental illness/lack of trust instead, but is likely just strong J tendencies. Good news is that with greater experience of interaction comes lower percentages of uncharted territory which in turn leads to richness of interaction :)

I'm Unregistered said:
I am also overly-analytical, and I can bother myself for days just trying to analyze things.
This could be logic (thinking function) which would place you as INTx, or systematic thinking (judging function) which would mean INxJ. An INFP is less likely to spend hours (let alone days) analysing one thing; they will spend 3 seconds on it and then analyse the next thing straight away, coming back if needed. Analysing, of course, regarding their feelings. This would suggest you are less likely an INFP as the timespan involved is symptomatic of other types.

I'm Unregistered said:
I can seem insensitive, but I'm not. I'm actually pretty caring. I don't like injustice, and I can get upset easily by it. I cry easily; I can get upset about a sad scene in a movie or book for days and I can't stop feeling upset about it. I anger easily, especially when people do something cruel, which most people really do, anyway. I like to help people, especially children, and, as I said before, I am intuitive about people's feelings. I'm sometimes idealistic, but sometimes, my idealism gets burnt out, and I just don't feel it anymore. I can't stand the problems in the world. I'm also very blunt, and I get angry at myself for that. I'm also pretty detachted sometimes, and perfectionistic, but at the same time I'm warm. It's weird.
This one's the big clue. A T function will still feel the feelings you're describing, but can analyse them based on their experience and move on. I'm talking in terms of hours, even for INTJ's. A reaction of days to a book is symptomatic solely of INFJ's from the list you began with. This is more likely INFP than INTJ, but from above, INFJ seems a better fit.

I'm Unregistered said:
This one's pretty hard. I like to be organized, but I don't. I need a lot of scheduling and planning, but I need a lot of variety. I have a rebellious streak, but I want to conform so people won't get mad at me. I just don't know...
Conforming sounds like NF - could be from a sensing function but everything else you've said lines up with being an N. Likely not NT because an NT will analyse the desire to conform and then either submit to it or reject it, having discarded it from their emotional influences. That leaves NF, and needing lots of scheduling and planning sounds like an INFJ.

In conclusion I think your confused state stems from a strong N function coupled with very powerful J tendencies. This leads you to have a particularly advanced structure through which to theoretically view the world, despite making decisions within that structure based upon your feelings. This leads to appearing like an NT because you view every aspect with theoretical analysis and precision. Internal intuition is your primary function which will lead you to hold those analysed views and perspectives within yourself and to not bring them into the open. I advise you to look for similar types in life that will help you bring the views into the real world in a safe way.

:)

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I might say INFP, although certain flavours of INFJ may share some of the qualities you mentioned. INTJs are interested in systems, but not as often interested in human interraction systems in the same way INFJs are.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why not S? Because you used 'intuitive' and 'abstract' in your description of yourself?

You sound like an IxFP.

Because she loves academics and abstract subjects. ISFPs can be very intelligent, but SPs are the least likely to love formal schooling. I have an ESFJ friend who loves college classes in things that have application to helping people, but hates having to take anything that she doesn't see as having applicable relevancy, and SJs tend to be more traditionally school-oriented.

In fact, to make you feel better, I'll ask this: OP - do you prefer to read a lot of fiction, or do you prefer to read books that are non-fiction, fact oriented, or that teach you to do something?

I'm Unregistered

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
4w5
All of these sound pretty accurate, so I'm going to go with INFX so far. My sister's going to help me with the cognitive functions, so pretty soon, I'll figure out my type! Thank you!

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Remember to post the results here.. And are you a girl under 20? guessing INFJ myself.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Because she loves academics and abstract subjects. ISFPs can be very intelligent, but SPs are the least likely to love formal schooling. I have an ESFJ friend who loves college classes in things that have application to helping people, but hates having to take anything that she doesn't see as having applicable relevancy, and SJs tend to be more traditionally school-oriented.

In fact, to make you feel better, I'll ask this: OP - do you prefer to read a lot of fiction, or do you prefer to read books that are non-fiction, fact oriented, or that teach you to do something?

This still doesn't rule out a Sensor type, especially when SPs who enjoy learning are attracted to the thrill of it all, and they are dreamy and come up with crazy schemes. My SP ex was very interested in her schooling (the subjects that interested her) and came up with some crazy schemes from time to time.

My guess was XFP- no SJ example needed this time.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I'm in grad school (aiming for a career in research) and I read vast quantities of fantasy/sci fi as well as other fiction. I don't mind non-fiction but I'll typically only read it if I need to, or if I'm bored (and don't have a good fantasy book).

While you're right in that these aren't stereotypical traits, they aren't deciding factors either. If there's one exception, there are others. :shrug: One thing is that I think SPs will aim more for science/real life-oriented subjects in university rather than say, english lit. Certainly bio in particular is fairly high in Ss. But several SPs here have majored in things like philosophy and english so again, not a deciding factor.

OP sounds IxFP to me, though there isn't enough info to say definitively. ISFPs are often very intuitive about people - and "intuitive" in general doesn't actually mean MBTI iNtuitive (shame about the confusing names). Ns are more concerned with abstract things - and Ss certainly can be (and are) good at and even enjoy abstract things, although the majority of our interests will usually be more concrete. It's more relevant to look at your overall view towards life, what kind of hobbies you like, how you learn best, what kinds on things are on your mind daily, etc.

IxFJ could also be possible; intj and any other T type seems less likely from this description.

I'm Unregistered

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
4w5

That's hard...I like books in general, but mostly it's either fantasy books (not so much anymore; they're losing originality with every Twilight and Mary Sue), sci-fi (which is entertaining), psychology books, mysteries (especially if they involve an autopsy or romance), and manga.

In general, I like fiction with a bit of Non-fiction sprinkled in.

Thanks for asking me. I'll post about the functions later, and I'll edit my type once my profile works.