User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I'm unsure on the P or J business, but I seriously doubt your being a 5w4. My money is on 9w1.

(And you can doubt my INFP status cause I do as well, all the time.)
    Well, thing is, I started thinking about that too, but there are a few things that seem odd about that:

* The 9w1's "strategy" is usually self-narcotization. However, I find very hard to find inner peace, as my mind is whirring constantly with the several (pretty unjustified, I'll admit) neuroses and insecurities that don't seem to plague the Nine. From what I gather, their "sin" is that they don't worry enough. While I'm kind of a peacekeeper, a go-alonger, whatever you feel like calling it, it's more of a desire to avoid opening wounds or making people angry. Doing that doesn't make me so much "sad" as "afraid" (according to Vicky Jo, this is another point for INFJ over INFP). I'm much more "Jeff Goldblum" than "Dalai Lama".
    * I believe my mother (boy, she's popping up frequently in this thread, uh? Paging Dr. Freud!) is a Type Nine (dunno the wing). While I mentioned a while back that I had more in common with her than with my dad (we're both patient and introverted, as well as bookish and kind of intellectual), I also clash with her frequently. She wants me to be more "laid-back" and "live a little", but I have a bit of a negative streak. While I'm kind of pessimistic, though, I'm not quite cynical like Sixes are sometimes said to be (even INFP George Orwell demonstrated a bitter disposition in his writings when it came to the circles of power).
    * I mentioned yesterday to my mom (while we were getting ready to watch Aronofsky's Black Swan) something that I realized was true after quite a while: I often preemptively worry about the feelings a work might stir within me before reading/watching it; she said that, as for herself, she figured that, since she can't predict that sort of stuff, she might as well go ahead and do it. That seems like a 9 vs. 5w4 difference to me...

Thanks for the feedback anyway! I'm glad people are still contributing to this glorified monument to my self-absorption thread!

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Well, thing is, I started thinking about that too, but there are a few things that seem odd about that:

* The 9w1's "strategy" is usually self-narcotization. However, I find very hard to find inner peace, as my mind is whirring constantly with the several (pretty unjustified, I'll admit) neuroses and insecurities that don't seem to plague the Nine. From what I gather, their "sin" is that they don't worry enough. While I'm kind of a peacekeeper, a go-alonger, whatever you feel like calling it, it's more of a desire to avoid opening wounds or making people angry. Doing that doesn't make me so much "sad" as "afraid" (according to Vicky Jo, this is another point for INFJ over INFP). I'm much more "Jeff Goldblum" than "Dalai Lama".
    Okay, then you're a six. Fives withdraw because they want to be left alone, not for security- that's a six thing. Threes, sixes, and nines have issues with lack of self-awareness. I'd say that's your deal.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Okay, then you're a six. Fives withdraw because they want to be left alone, not for security- that's a six thing. Threes, sixes, and nines have issues with lack of self-awareness. I'd say that's your deal.
    Hold it! I didn't say security was my chief concern. I do want to be left alone to think, though I also do so because I'm afraid I'll hurt people with my words... I kinda have some trouble with the whole "conflict is a healthy part of a relationship" thing.

I've also noticed I tend to take things (including myself) kinda waaay too seriously - I can't stand to be mocked, and always perceive it as thinly veiled criticism. Do many INFPs have trouble with that?

P.S.: Sorry if I post less in the next three weeks. I'm currently on vacation in a place with lots o' stuff to do and wonky wi-fi.

brainheart

Sorry, Viridian, I don't mean to tell you what you are. I just mean to say that you don't strike me as a 5. As far as the INFJ or INFP thing goes... I don't even know about myself and I've been thinking about this stuff for a couple of years now. I've pretty much moved on to the enneagram because it makes way more sense to me and doesn't get all caught up in the S or N, P or J, T or F, I or E foofaraw. Also, you don't see the 'thinking triad' dissing on the 'instinctive triad' or anything like that. It seems far less divisive and more helpful for self-growth.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Sorry, Viridian, I don't mean to tell you what you are. I just mean to say that you don't strike me as a 5. As far as the INFJ or INFP thing goes... I don't even know about myself and I've been thinking about this stuff for a couple of years now. I've pretty much moved on to the enneagram because it makes way more sense to me and doesn't get all caught up in the S or N, P or J, T or F, I or E foofaraw. Also, you don't see the 'thinking triad' dissing on the 'instinctive triad' or anything like that. It seems far less divisive and more helpful for self-growth.
    S'okay, dude! Sorry if I sounded a bit pissed off. I've been wondering about the whole Five thing myself, since I've got no head for literary criticism or stuff like that. It's just, all I've been hearing about Fours makes them sound like people who embrace conflict, whereas I avoid it (it annoys even my ISFP mom, believe it or not). Plus, what is this thread for if not for people telling me what my type seems like?

And yeah, I see quite a bit of "type bigotry", especially towards SJs... but I think most people in this forum are open-minded and understanding, which is why I love it. I wish you luck in your own typology quest!

brainheart

Thanks. I found this interesting: http://personalitycafe.com/articles/...tml#post519431 Not sure if it's helpful, though, or if it just makes me more confused... because I am so stuck in Ni-Ti (presumably) it's absurd.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Thanks for the link, brainheart! I'll post my thoughts on the loops as soon as I find a computer larger than a lunchbox...

EDIT: Well, based on what I've read, the Fi/Si loop seems more like my thing. I'm not exactly rebellious - sometimes I'm critical, but that's not exactly something I embrace - and I sometimes have a bit of a phobia when it comes to human contact.

I'm still open for feedback, but INFP seems more likely according to your (that is, the previous posters') observations and hunches. I'm still hung up on the "inner peace" thing, though... I'm pretty neurotic and aloof, which I've heard are more J-ish traits, and there's the whole organization/structure/method thing...

In any case, thanks, guys!
    Last edited by Viridian; 02-15-2011 at 02:34 PM.

MBTI
    IsFJ

I'm curious, though, brainheart, what about me seems to say "not 5" to you? Lack of detachment?

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I'm curious, though, brainheart, what about me seems to say "not 5" to you? Lack of detachment?
    Well, you said you're often aloof but on here you don't seem all that aloof. I don't know, really. Just a feeling, not something I can precisely explain. And Fi can be plenty aloof, if that's what you find confusing.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Ahhh. Okay then, I was just curious. Thanks!