User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

A couple more observations: (Feel free to yell "Shut the %#@£ up already!")

1) I have some pretty bad pride issues. It's not simply about avoiding humiliation, like I described previously; it's like, I take myself pretty seriously, to the point where, if someone pokes fun at my personal demons/neuroses, I become bitter and start wondering - and asking, sometimes - what is wrong with me. My ISFP mother thinks I need to chill a bit... Sometimes I respond to "good-natured ribbing" with a distraught "Is this about [X]?", which can be a buzzkill. I've heard INFPs are more laid-back, so could this be an indication of INFJness?

2) Someone asked me, at the beginning of the thread, if I wasn't an ISFP. Truth is, while I'm theoretical, I'm not sure I'm creative like many INFPs are said to be. I don't draw or paint (my artistic abilities are somewhere between "sub-par" and "hellish"), and, while a good number of people say I write well, I just don't feel the oft-mentioned "itch". My ma says I "absorb" too much and don't "give back", metaphorically speaking. Since INFPs seem to crave self-expression through these outlets, and are usually described as "creative", do you guys suppose that means I'm more likely to be an INFJ?

Thanks again.

MBTI
    INTP

Your Ne will fetch you but-maybes and could-be-thises all day if you let it.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Offog View Post
    Your Ne will fetch you but-maybes and could-be-thises all day if you let it.
    If you don't mind me asking, to which one of my bajillion inquiries are you answering?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, to which one of my bajillion inquiries are you answering?
    The last one. Neither of those tidbits invalidates you as an INFP. Of course you get upset when people poke fun at you. Of course you're not as creative as other, more creative people. But look what you're doing here. You're using Ne to make these connections and Fi to, well, worry about them. Stop that.

No, you don't measure up to the idealized INFP type description. Big deal. Nobody else measures up to their type description either. If you want your Ne to do something useful, set it to finding ways in which you don't measure up to the ideal INFJ. Are you a cool, mysterious sage? Can you see the mysteries of the universe floating behind your Mom's left ear, so that she keeps nervously looking over her shoulder? Can you whisper to a man in a darkened cell until he swallows his own tongue?

No? Well, obviously you don't measure up to the great INFJs such as Jeff Bridges, The Amazing Kreskin, and Hannibal the Cannibal. Now think of some ways in which you're not as sexy as an ESFP.

MBTI
    IsFJ

The last one. Neither of those tidbits invalidates you as an INFP. Of course you get upset when people poke fun at you. Of course you're not as creative as other, more creative people. But look what you're doing here. You're using Ne to make these connections and Fi to, well, worry about them. Stop that.
    Yeah, I suppose fear of embarassment isn't confined to Fe alone... It's just, I keep commiting the fallacy of thinking INFPs are a lot more like ENFPs than they actually are, since they share functions, and ENFPs usually seem pretty confident, even when they're flighty and bubbly...

Also, I've heard Ne can have a "catastrophic" element, especially in SJs who haven't developed it properly. Like when you ask someone "What could possibly go wrong?" - and they actually begin lising the stuff that could! Is that what you're saying here?

No, you don't measure up to the idealized INFP type description. Big deal. Nobody else measures up to their type description either. If you want your Ne to do something useful, set it to finding ways in which you don't measure up to the ideal INFJ. Are you a cool, mysterious sage? Can you see the mysteries of the universe floating behind your Mom's left ear, so that she keeps nervously looking over her shoulder? Can you whisper to a man in a darkened cell until he swallows his own tongue?

No? Well, obviously you don't measure up to the great INFJs such as Jeff Bridges, The Amazing Kreskin, and Hannibal the Cannibal. Now think of some ways in which you're not as sexy as an ESFP.
    I think I get your drift here, but the thing is, I was also thinking of unhealthy INFs; I've heard tales of INFPs "exploding", as previously mentioned, but, the more stressed I get, the more aloof I get, and I don't know for sure whether there are INFPs who do that...

Then again, maybe the fact that I refuse to let this darn thread die in peace is a sign that I am an INFP.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

To be honest, sometimes I'm downright reclusive; during vacation, I'm almost a hikkikomori. (Ironically, the most extraverted introverts, ISFPs, are Fi-dom rather than Fe-dom. Funny how that works.)
    I don't know what gave you that idea. most of the ISFPs I've met have barely talked in their lives

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I don't know what gave you that idea. most of the ISFPs I've met have barely talked in their lives
    Well, I linked the thread about "the most extraverted introverts, the most introverted extraverts, etc." a few pages ago. Almost everyone said ISFPs are the most extraverted introverts, generally speaking, and my mom is no exception (I don't know how she can keep up with so many people!). She may need her rest, but, as a small business owner, she knows a lot of people and usually tries to get me outta my shell.

(On a related note, ENxPs were "voted" - there was no poll or anything - the most introverted extraverts. I've seen you change your self-typing, so that might have something to do with it. Just a heads-up, buddy.)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Also, I've heard Ne can have a "catastrophic" element, especially in SJs who haven't developed it properly. Like when you ask someone "What could possibly go wrong?" - and they actually begin listing the stuff that could! Is that what you're saying here?
    Something like that, yes. It's very open-ended and has no natural stopping point. It's never really satisfied, it just gets tired and/or bored.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Something like that, yes. It's very open-ended and has no natural stopping point. It's never really satisfied, it just gets tired and/or bored.
    Funny how that works - Ne is usually associated with spontaneity and "just doing it" (in a similar way to Se), but, if I understand you, it can also be used in a "worrying" fashion (kinda makes me think of those Woody Allen characters... ). We all learn something new every day, I guess.

I usually seem pretty conservative and withdrawn because I "shoot down" ideas for doing stuff when my ISFP mom suggests them without me asking; it's not a rejection, it's more like, "Gee, I dunno if I want to go, how long do you think it'll take?". I'm about to take a three-week vacation with the family and all I can think of is, "Will I be able to visit my regular Internet haunts and post regularly on this forum?". I thought that was a surefire way to J-dom, but now, I'm (again) unsure...

brainheart

I'm unsure on the P or J business, but I seriously doubt your being a 5w4. My money is on 9w1.

(And you can doubt my INFP status cause I do as well, all the time.)