• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Could someone analyze my cognitive function results for me?

xisnotx

Permabanned
The main question that I have is “is this true? And if this is true, how does it affect everything else?”. This leads me to asking myself if the thing in question is true or not. If it isn’t true I discard it. If I don’t know whether or not it is true I still think about how it would affect everything else if it was. Problems start because recently I realized anything could be true. Truth really isn’t all that objective. This has led me to want to evaluate everything, something I don’t have the effort to do all day. And since nothing is really true, and since I am basing a lot of my assumptions on the assumption that all these assumptions stem from a singular truth, I fear that my assumption that this singular truth is actually false. As a result I’m constantly looking to strengthen the evidence for something being true.

For a more concrete example let’s say someone tells me… all tall people will die in 3 weeks. My first question would be “Is this true?”. This is where the internet comes in..I’m kinda addicted to it...I research to see if in fact it is true. If it turns out it isn’t true I discard it. If it is (or if I can’t be certain it is or isn’t) I’ll speculate about how this information will affect the world. I don’t really come to any concrete conclusions (it’s all just speculation, I have no clue if my hunches will be accurate) but I still speculate about how it will change things. This can (and actually more often does) operate on a more personal level. For example if I happened to be tall I would speculate about how this news would affect me and others. I’d speculate about how it would affect me if it was true, and how it would affect me if it wasn’t. Like I said, I hardly ever draw conclusion and I quite often get stuck in the “see if true->speculate about possibilities” loop. If my assumptions leads me to a conclusion that actually turns out to be accurate I get really happy. In fact I would say that this is one of my driving forces in life...proving that my assumptions actually led to another truth. When I speculate about the possibilities I often will need to prove something else true which will lead to even more possibilities that will need to be explored.

This is why I have so much trouble deciding on anything. Personality type is my latest unsolvable problem.

This whole self examination process has come down to “Is this true about me?” I don’t know. What if it is true, does that make me x? Probably, but that would mean that I do y and z as well. Is y and z true about me? I don’t know. If it is true….”

This doesn’t sound too healthy to be honest.

What cognitive processes are these? Can anyone relate? Can all this actually help me pinpoint my type?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

^ Detach a little more and understand that the above does most likely make you an INTP. Ti-Si loop coupled with Ne just to keep the possibilities flowing.

This is coming from someone who is most likely an ENTP by the way.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^
Wow, lots to consider. Thanks.
Could you elaborate on this part?

I explain this as the ego being the seat of type (our conscious preferences), so if something goes against the ego, then the preferences will reflect this. So an SJ's Si will be filled with a lot of negative data, and they will seek to start over and create new traditions and institutions.
In other words, our type is determined by a pair of cognitive function preferences; one being a form of information gathering, and the other being decision making; and one being internally oriented, and the other, externally oriented.
The ego is the conscious sense of "I" that chooses these functions as its primary perspective. So for an SJ, their main form of information gathering will be introverted Sensing. This function relies on an internalized storehouse of concrete (factual) data.
This will often lead to them focusing on concrete elements such as traditions.
Yet, since Si is basically something employed by the ego, if a tradition or other internalized fact goes against the ego, then it will still go against that tradition, despite the Si preference. the point is, we cannot expect a person to necessarily go along with all traditions in order for them to be an SJ. There are reasons they might not go along with them.