User Tag List

123 Last

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default ENTP instead of INTP? Come hither ENTPs!

I'm asking because some of the things that ring true for INTPs just don't for me. Example: interpersonal relationships...especially conflicts. I have a drive to 'do something right now' when there is a problem. I am brainstorming like crazy to find a way to solve the problem. Unfortunately, this usually leads me to questioning someone like they are on the stand. I am so intent on getting answers, forming a concept of what is wrong, coming up with a solution, and then applying it. I usually don't want to go and think about anything...I want to jump right in. I'm eager to fix it because it is a problem but there is also the background noise of desiring 'smooth sailing' conditions. I hate the bad atmospheres that can result when there is conflict.

I seek out people to bounce ideas off of and feedback. I get a great deal of enjoyment out of this.
    I love improvisation. No buttermilk? Vinegar and whole milk. Route blocked? A challenge to find another way (and hopefully see some interesting scenery on the way). I love it when I get to use my thinking to solve problems...especially unexpected ones.

I will chat with strangers...and friends...for entertainment purposes. I have a habit of teasing strangers--nothing mean, though. For the most part, though I don't seek out company or feel particularly energized afterward.

I have a lot of unfinished projects: knitting, bath salts, perfumes, languages, jewelry making...I could go on for a while.

If you're still with me, what do you think?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

you sound like one of us.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I can't comment, because I'm in the same boat. I think I may be E as well.

I don't feel like people really energize me, and I enjoy alone time, but if you throw in me a room of Introverts I'm usually the most social one there, unless I'm in a mood. I have a lot of different hobbies, and many many unfinished physical projects. I do that thing that ENTPs are supposed to do and throw out half baked ideas and think out loud which confused the heck out of my SJ ex. My new ideas are shiny, and I want to see them for real, but my lack of focus means that I only usually get to see half of the idea made.

I don't have a handle on this MBTI stuff, maybe someday I'll do some actual studying on it. But that means that I'm a little weak when it comes to evaluating myself.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    I can't comment, because I'm in the same boat. I think I may be E as well.

I don't feel like people really energize me, and I enjoy alone time, but if you throw in me a room of Introverts I'm usually the most social one there, unless I'm in a mood. I have a lot of different hobbies, and many many unfinished physical projects. I do that thing that ENTPs are supposed to do and throw out half baked ideas and think out loud which confused the heck out of my SJ ex. My new ideas are shiny, and I want to see them for real, but my lack of focus means that I only usually get to see half of the idea made.

I don't have a handle on this MBTI stuff, maybe someday I'll do some actual studying on it. But that means that I'm a little weak when it comes to evaluating myself.
    Qlippoth, I'm tired of you being my twin!

I don't know a lot about this, either, but when I looked at the "Ask an ENTP" thread, a lot of stuff resonated.

We'll get figured out...if we don't find another interest first!

Yes...drove my ex-SJ crazy with my half-finished stuff, too. When the cold-process cottage soap industry was in its infancy, I drew up an elaborate business plan to get in it. I mean everything...even got a loan for it. Then I just dropped it because I started to have health problems, so I started all this research with that instead. That's been long ago and he still gripes about it. It's kind of funny because I had all sorts of spin-off ideas from the soap-making...that 'fed' me for a long time.

Spur of the moment stuff. Hmm...I may feel like the kids haven't had enough real-life examples of a particular topic so I suddenly announce, "All you guys, get your gear, we're leaving to go on a field trip!"

I will research an interest to damn-near death. I do stuff like immediately drop whatever I'm doing because I found a topic/interest, look to see if there's a book on it, and dash off to the library right then to get it. Or the bookstore (I wonder how much credit I have left on my account?)

I have several medals, trophies, awards, and certificates for World's Best Procrastinator. I'm earning right now...I have work to do and where am I?

I am wondering about the extroversion part though. I like some interaction but it has to be very specific--discussion of theories, ideas, sometimes interpersonal topics, and random stuff. But there is a lot that I will keep private and I can be very fierce about needing space. Being alone for long periods of time is not a hardship...not having someone to talk to about ideas, concepts, and what-ifs--now that is a serious hardship.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I think the biggest thing when choosing between E and I when the other letters are set is to not get distracted with all the minutiae. The question really is: are you an extravert or introvert?

Procrastination, unfinished projects, conflict avoidance... you'll see NTPs varying on these issues, both INTP and ENTP alike. ENTPs don't procrastinate more than INTPs, not every INTP is conflict-adverse. What matters is where the primary focus and energy lies: internally or externally.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Qlippoth, I'm tired of you being my twin!
    I hope for your sake, you don't physically resemble me.

As far as what you (MacG) said I've been trying to look at it from that perspective, and I'm still undecided. Actually, the more puzzled I become, the less I care. I wonder if that fits into either profile.. hmmm.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

^I know...sigh. I think what I should have asked is how is extroversion expressed in an ENTP.

I really don't resonate with the descriptions of extroverts. E and I traits apply almost equally for me. Hmm, isn't that called an ambivert?

I love my private time but I also love to have extended conversations with people over certain topics or very specific conditions. If it's not under these conditions, then I try to steer the conversation or interaction that way. If it doesn't happen, it becomes draining after that. When the interaction is just right, it's energizing...it just doesn't happen often. It's like extroversion on a very tight beam. I don't like going out in crowds, I don't like parties, I don't like people coming over...I tend to be very introspective...hmmm.

Maybe I need that brain scan?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Real conversations or written ones?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Real conversations or written ones?
    Both. If it's something I really like talking about, I'm really eager to discuss it. Love to speculate out loud and want someone to do it with me.

ReflecTcelfeR

Do you like talking about ideas that come right off your head without extensive analysis about the idea beforehand?