• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP instead of INTP? Come hither ENTPs!

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm asking because some of the things that ring true for INTPs just don't for me. Example: interpersonal relationships...especially conflicts. I have a drive to 'do something right now' when there is a problem. I am brainstorming like crazy to find a way to solve the problem. Unfortunately, this usually leads me to questioning someone like they are on the stand. I am so intent on getting answers, forming a concept of what is wrong, coming up with a solution, and then applying it. I usually don't want to go and think about anything...I want to jump right in. I'm eager to fix it because it is a problem but there is also the background noise of desiring 'smooth sailing' conditions. I hate the bad atmospheres that can result when there is conflict.

I seek out people to bounce ideas off of and feedback. I get a great deal of enjoyment out of this.
I love improvisation. No buttermilk? Vinegar and whole milk. Route blocked? A challenge to find another way (and hopefully see some interesting scenery on the way). I love it when I get to use my thinking to solve problems...especially unexpected ones.

I will chat with strangers...and friends...for entertainment purposes. I have a habit of teasing strangers--nothing mean, though. For the most part, though I don't seek out company or feel particularly energized afterward.

I have a lot of unfinished projects: knitting, bath salts, perfumes, languages, jewelry making...I could go on for a while.

If you're still with me, what do you think?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
you sound like one of us.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't comment, because I'm in the same boat. I think I may be E as well.

I don't feel like people really energize me, and I enjoy alone time, but if you throw in me a room of Introverts I'm usually the most social one there, unless I'm in a mood. I have a lot of different hobbies, and many many unfinished physical projects. I do that thing that ENTPs are supposed to do and throw out half baked ideas and think out loud which confused the heck out of my SJ ex. My new ideas are shiny, and I want to see them for real, but my lack of focus means that I only usually get to see half of the idea made.

I don't have a handle on this MBTI stuff, maybe someday I'll do some actual studying on it. But that means that I'm a little weak when it comes to evaluating myself.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can't comment, because I'm in the same boat. I think I may be E as well.

I don't feel like people really energize me, and I enjoy alone time, but if you throw in me a room of Introverts I'm usually the most social one there, unless I'm in a mood. I have a lot of different hobbies, and many many unfinished physical projects. I do that thing that ENTPs are supposed to do and throw out half baked ideas and think out loud which confused the heck out of my SJ ex. My new ideas are shiny, and I want to see them for real, but my lack of focus means that I only usually get to see half of the idea made.

I don't have a handle on this MBTI stuff, maybe someday I'll do some actual studying on it. But that means that I'm a little weak when it comes to evaluating myself.

Qlippoth, I'm tired of you being my twin!

I don't know a lot about this, either, but when I looked at the "Ask an ENTP" thread, a lot of stuff resonated.

We'll get figured out...if we don't find another interest first!

Yes...drove my ex-SJ crazy with my half-finished stuff, too. When the cold-process cottage soap industry was in its infancy, I drew up an elaborate business plan to get in it. I mean everything...even got a loan for it. Then I just dropped it because I started to have health problems, so I started all this research with that instead. That's been long ago and he still gripes about it. It's kind of funny because I had all sorts of spin-off ideas from the soap-making...that 'fed' me for a long time.

Spur of the moment stuff. Hmm...I may feel like the kids haven't had enough real-life examples of a particular topic so I suddenly announce, "All you guys, get your gear, we're leaving to go on a field trip!"

I will research an interest to damn-near death. I do stuff like immediately drop whatever I'm doing because I found a topic/interest, look to see if there's a book on it, and dash off to the library right then to get it. Or the bookstore (I wonder how much credit I have left on my account?)

I have several medals, trophies, awards, and certificates for World's Best Procrastinator. I'm earning right now...I have work to do and where am I?

I am wondering about the extroversion part though. I like some interaction but it has to be very specific--discussion of theories, ideas, sometimes interpersonal topics, and random stuff. But there is a lot that I will keep private and I can be very fierce about needing space. Being alone for long periods of time is not a hardship...not having someone to talk to about ideas, concepts, and what-ifs--now that is a serious hardship.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the biggest thing when choosing between E and I when the other letters are set is to not get distracted with all the minutiae. The question really is: are you an extravert or introvert?

Procrastination, unfinished projects, conflict avoidance... you'll see NTPs varying on these issues, both INTP and ENTP alike. ENTPs don't procrastinate more than INTPs, not every INTP is conflict-adverse. What matters is where the primary focus and energy lies: internally or externally.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Qlippoth, I'm tired of you being my twin!

I hope for your sake, you don't physically resemble me. ;)

As far as what you (MacG) said I've been trying to look at it from that perspective, and I'm still undecided. Actually, the more puzzled I become, the less I care. I wonder if that fits into either profile.. hmmm.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^I know...sigh. I think what I should have asked is how is extroversion expressed in an ENTP.

I really don't resonate with the descriptions of extroverts. E and I traits apply almost equally for me. Hmm, isn't that called an ambivert?

I love my private time but I also love to have extended conversations with people over certain topics or very specific conditions. If it's not under these conditions, then I try to steer the conversation or interaction that way. If it doesn't happen, it becomes draining after that. When the interaction is just right, it's energizing...it just doesn't happen often. It's like extroversion on a very tight beam. I don't like going out in crowds, I don't like parties, I don't like people coming over...I tend to be very introspective...hmmm.

Maybe I need that brain scan?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Real conversations or written ones?

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Real conversations or written ones?

Both. If it's something I really like talking about, I'm really eager to discuss it. Love to speculate out loud and want someone to do it with me.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Do you like talking about ideas that come right off your head without extensive analysis about the idea beforehand?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you like talking about ideas that come right off your head without extensive analysis about the idea beforehand?

Like, "I wish you were my step-sister so I could do you"?

True story. *laughs*

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Hahaha, great story! Someone said that to you? Did you guys begin to analyze the statement in order to get to a logical end? Mmmmmm Ne-Ti. :D

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's kind of a hard question to answer.

Ex: Driving by a B&B sparked an idea to open one for people with celiac disease. Go on a vacation without having to worry about finding food that's safe to eat. Brilliant!
As I talked about it, the idea gained more flesh. Bouncing the idea off of someone or talking about it helps tremendously and it feels good. However, I will put a great deal of research into my ideas. I want to do it right away. Impulsive. Idea about "x" makes me want to look up the info now and get information on it immediately. I want to put weight on my ideas right away.

It's not always like that. Sometimes it's more like a ball and I have to tease out the parts of it by either researching the idea or talking about. Both help. But I do get a lot of enjoyment out of discussing these things--ideas and topics equally.

It's just difficult to find someone to listen to it. :cry:

Or ideas and thoughts will immediately lead to other ones. I started off reading about the conflict between North and South Korea and ended up reading about flying planes that have lost power or control and then giving my kids a lecture on it...not sure if that information helps. I'm sure a lot of INTPs do this, too. Or a lot of other people for that matter.

Maybe I'm just INTP with very strong Ne?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

That's the thing about leading with extraverted intuition. It's not even a first reaction to research, but to proclaim the idea to anyone, even if they don't really care to listen.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're INTP. Don't ask. Your my slave. Just follow.

---

Joking aside, I always find it helpful to look into your "weakest" function. It's usually the most defining of all, side from Dom.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^Yes, Master. I am INTP. Where do we go now? And should I pack a lunch, Master?

Hmm...not sure about my weakest function. How do I evaluate that? As far as Fe goes, I will often be direct but tactful about a discussion or argument. I believe the message can be lost if I say something in a way to provoke an emotional reaction (or what I feel may provoke one) and I'm looking for results...not dealing with things that will needlessly cloud the issue. I also want to keep the atmosphere clear so that I can get to a solution quickly.

Hmm, I just thought about something. Do ENTPs find emotional situations/discussions draining? I find it incredibly draining.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Nah its not really, though i do prefer discrete data usually.
Unreasonable emotional outbursts bore me though.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm. it's beginning to sound like I'm more INTP with really strong Ne. I like people well enough...if I can jabber about ideas, concepts, theories...nothing else. I'm not going to be interested in hearing about office politics (except to dissect the behavior of the office inhabitants and think of ideas to make the whole system work smoother).

Saw in another thread about linear versus 'web'/whole thinking. I ma definitely a 'web' thinker. I see wholes or the possibility of wholes. I either take them apart to understand or add to them bit by bit (like a 3-D tetris) to understand it all.

Come on all you other ENTPs, get your collective behinds over here and gimme some input!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OK, let's bring in the archetypes. That was one of the clinchers for me knowing Ne is aux, even though it seems strongest.

The dom. will be the ego's main perspective for its own world-view, and the aux. will be what it aims to support others with.
So do you tend to help others with Ne, or with Ti? (Ne as parent might even make you seem extraverted at times when discussing/sharing ideas you are interested in).

We can even look at the non-preferred functions. If Ne is dominant, then Si is inferior. If it is aux., then Si will be tertiary, and as the next function of the dominant attitude, may be what they call "inflated" (and very visible or at least prominent in your own consciousness).
For an ENTP, Fe is tertiary.
If you're not middle age yet, then it might be easy to tell which is more developed, between the tertiary and inferior.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The dom. will be the ego's main perspective for its own world-view, and the aux. will be what it aims to support others with.
So do you tend to help others with Ne, or with Ti? (Ne as parent might even make you seem extraverted at times when discussing/sharing ideas you are interested in).

Hmm...not sure. I enjoy problem solving...friends and family tend to contact me when they want my input into solving a problem. I tend to get an idea, share it, bounce it around, and then want to research it to pieces. I think I like talking about ideas and thoughts equally...it's hard to be quiet about something I'm excited about. Really hard. And I really love and want feedback, "What do you think?" is one of my favorite questions. It's like having a ball of clay and using questions, feedback, and information to sculpt it.

We can even look at the non-preferred functions. If Ne is dominant, then Si is inferior. If it is aux., then Si will be tertiary, and as the next function of the dominant attitude, may be what they call "inflated" (and very visible or at least prominent in your own consciousness).
For an ENTP, Fe is tertiary.
If you're not middle age yet, then it might be easy to tell which is more developed, between the tertiary and inferior.

What's 'middle age'? :thelook: It better be like 50 or something.

How do I determine the influence of Si and Fe? I tend to be pretty tactful and aware of social obligations/customs but still tend to be reserved with people. Unless I'm in a Discussion, then it's like flipping on a switch...3 hours has passed and I'm still yapping about topic X.

Then again, minding manners could be the influence of my upbringing. When I was growing up, rudeness was utterly intolerable and would earn you a switch across the backside.