User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Default How do you type somebody who´s bipolar?

Exactly what it says on the label:
    tried to get a friend of mine to do the Keirsey test and we had a very hard time. His answers to most of the question came down to "it depends on the moment". Most people will show a micture of the two extremes (I/E, N/S, T/F, P/J), but in his case it is even more complicated, because he is bipolar and his mood and behavior strongly varies with themedication. On top of that he is from Colombia and adapted quite a bit when he came to Germany almost a decade ago. So he has two very different social influences and says that living in Germany made him more J, he also became more T with age. He is extremely extroverted during the manic and very introverted during the depressive phases. This makes it very hard to see through the consition and detect his "natural state/preferences"

Any advice? Somebody must have written something about it somewhere. :P
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

There must be phases when he is neither manic nor depressive.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Unless he's actually in a state of psychosis there shouldn't be a real problem typing him. If he's medicated and he's not over-medicated he's still going to be himself.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Maybe he was depressed when he took the test. "It depends on the moment" doesn't help identify his type. Bipolar states do not really define a person's personality. It only colors the personality. This makes things more challenging, but not impossible. Forget the test and try to figure it out on your own. Shouldn't be that difficult. Maybe not quite as scientific - but who cares. Try to figure it out, read the description and see if it fits at all. It probably will not fit perfectly. But that's the same for many of us who aren't bipolar. Plenty of Xs.

For P/J: does he plan and organize things or is he more spontaneous? If he is depressed, he may not be as organized - but at other times he is. Spontaneous is obviously a manic thing - but does he act happy go lucky and spontaneous when he's not fully manic? Does he make decisions easily or does he tend to be indecisive. If he's depressed he might not care. But at other times, I think you should be able to tell. Does he judge others or have a live and let live attitude?

For I/E: you should be able to figure that out on your own. Does he like to be by himself most of the time even if he's not depressed?

There are ways to determine his type other than taking a test. You just have to use your intuition and observation skills.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You might even be able to tell from the WAY he is manic...I'm not trying to be funny. I think Js may be more likely to become MOAR controlling and angry when manic, and perhaps Ps are the kinds that go into "whhheeee I'm going to gamble away my life's savings" type of mania.

Also, the fact that he says it changes in the moment may actually be indicative of a P preference.

There are seriously many bipolar people who are able to type themselves or who are typed by others. I'm honestly puzzled as to why this is such an issue unless he is extremely unstable and unmedicated.

You might be able to determine his type, also, by how cooperative he is about his own treatment, or if he has to be dragged into it, or if he's one of those people who is always going off of his meds.

Only mentally fit people have a mbti personality, from what I understood. It seems ambitious to try to coin all people by only 16 types, inaccurate too.

MBTI
    ENTP

Only mentally fit people have a mbti personality?!

Jung said as much if I remember correct. Wasn't usable on those considered 'insane'.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

^WORD!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    Jung said as much if I remember correct. Wasn't usable on those considered 'insane'.
    Bipolar people aren't "insane." The only way they could be qualified insane is if they were in a psychotic fit of mania. People who are Bipolar II don't even achieve full-blown mania, so are never actually psychotic. In fact there's several people who are bipolar and at least one who is schizotypal on this site.

You need to remember that psychiatry has taken leaps and bounds since Jung's time.