• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Determining whether my type is INFJ or INTJ

technical

MBTI Type
INTP
It's clear to me that Ni is my dominant function, but I'm not sure whether I prefer Fe/Ti or Te/Fi as the definitions of these functions aren't entirely clear to me. How can I determine my auxiliary/tertiary preferences?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
How did you determine your primary function ? Did it knock at your door and said "Guess whooo ?"

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
INTJ vs INFJ is normally pretty obvious, I think. Fe tries to create harmony and keep people happy and connect with others, while Te thinks rationally, manages and organises without much attention to people.

Torai

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, but INFJ's and possibly INTJ's, like to second guess themselves. There are some days when I thought I was a P, since I was so disorganized. There are also some times when I though I was T, since I'm so internally analytical.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I don't think either of those types are known for second guessing themselves. They tend to adapt to situations as they come but rarely reconsider things too much, having confidence in their ability.

Torai

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nah... The utmost confidence is more of an SJ attribute in my opinion. Ni, as a function, tries to weigh in all of the possibilities and can be incredibly indecisive. Everyone I know tells me I mull over everything, and I am quite sure I'm not a Perciever.

SoftRains

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Wow, this is interesting to find out that Ni is indecisive. I'm often indecisive myself, and I've often thought myself a P because of this.

Anyway, as for the original question you could look at which temperament you think you are: NT or NF (http://www.infj.com/INFJ_Temperament.htm)

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's clear to me that Ni is my dominant function, but I'm not sure whether I prefer Fe/Ti or Te/Fi as the definitions of these functions aren't entirely clear to me. How can I determine my auxiliary/tertiary preferences?

As someone who went through the same sort of thing... I think this guide here may be useful:

INFJ vs. INTJ- A Guide

Both INFJs and INTJs are highly analytical people, both are visionaries with grand scale ideas, and both can be equally involved in the arts and sciences. Both strive for a moral cause, just in different ways. Fi is more about YOUR OWN core values, whereas Fe is focused on benefiting a GROUP of PEOPLE. INFJs under a lot stress will tend to become cynical and misanthropic, emotionally withdrawn, and will get quiet. They may overindulge in sensory activities. INTJs under stress, especially if their Fi isn't very well developed, tend to take things personally ("The world has something against me.") and then overindulge in sensory activities like INFJs, and then quickly spring back. INTJs objectively analyze the world around them with extroverted thinking, organizing it and creating hierarchies and systems that will make things run more efficiently to achieve their inner vision. INFJs tend to bond with people to realize a goal tied into a central shared value. They prefer to have a cooperative atmosphere. What it all boils down to is your inner motivations as well as how you respond to stress.

What do you notice in yourself?