• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Zarathustra's Enneagram Type

What enneagram type am I? (please only vote if you've read the whole thread... thx:))

• 1w2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 3w4

• 4w3

• 4w5

• 6w7

• 7w6

• 7w8

• 8w9

• 9w8

• Total voters

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You've put up so many possibilities, it's difficult for me to help you with them.

For the gut part of the triad, I'd leave off the "1" unless you really feel like you try to suppress your emotions/anger in order to be more rational.
Between 5 and 6, I'd go with 5 based on your reaction to integration/disintegration. 6 is looking for security from others, or seeking to "have faith" in others. You don't strike me as the kind of person who is looking for that kind of security.
Between 8 and 9, your superficial behavior is definitely 8, not 9. Again, you don't seem to strive for self control the way a 1 would. (I score fairly highly on 1, and I partly identify with its integration/disintegration, but I definitely vibe with the 9 more.)

I'd say 5-8-3 or 5-8-4.

Part of my reasoning is, as [MENTION=15004]Mia.[/MENTION] pointed out to me, the first is your true self, your core desires/instincts, the second is how you deal with the world, and the third is the image you want the world to perceive.

Given your reaction to the 5 integration/disintegration, I'd put that first. Given your rather forceful manner in general, that seems to fit 8 as being how you deal with the world, and that would leave 3 or 4 as how you'd like to be perceived, which I leave up to you.

I have a tentative theory that a lot of people will get typed by others as their 2nd-ranking type, in part because that's what happened to me. They see the brainy nerd and say, "5". But what *I* see in me is the 9, because I can see that if I "let go" and dissociate from the world, I'm going to disintegrate in the 9 direction, not the 5. I don't have Ted Kaczynski in me. Also, the highest levels of the 9 resonate with me: not that I want to be a mediator and help people get along together, but because *I* want to be at peace with myself, to have a real balance between myself and the world. Peace/balance always resonated more for me than "learning new stuff", which is merely something I happen with which I have considerable skill.

So the main thing I would aim for in your case is that you figure out which one describes the "real you", the essence of you that may or may not be visible to the rest of the world, that rings most true for you, and then work from there to fill in the blanks. Without that "real you" piece that resonates, the rest wouldn't make sense to me. Once I could say that, yeah, the 9 is how I feel inside and tells me what I need to watch out for, then I could see that the 5 made sense in terms of how I dealt with most everything else, and that annoying and out-of-place 3 that came up in all my enneagram tests made more sense in the role of the 3rd type.

Starry

Given your rather forceful manner in general, that seems to fit 8 as being how you deal with the world...

Just for my own understanding...I am hoping [MENTION=5627]BlackCat[/MENTION] will come on here and explain the differences between 'e8 forcefulness'...and 'counterphobic 6w5 forcefulness'... because at least for me...I always experience the cp 6w5 as being more powerful...more unrelenting. Like it is not the desire to (merely) have a semblance of control over a situation like I notice with e8...but rather it is as if you are coming-up against someone that is *fighting* for some cause...or what is right...or the underdog, etc. Like they have some invisible army behind them that they are defending...that gives them the energy to keep pushing forward or something. Even if the issue in question is quite small or insignificant...they will push forward in the defense of *something big*. There is always something *bigger* going on.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just for my own understanding...I am hoping [MENTION=5627]BlackCat[/MENTION] will come on here and explain the differences between 'e8 forcefulness'...and 'counterphobic 6w5 forcefulness'... because at least for me...I always experience the cp 6w5 as being more powerful...more unrelenting. Like it is not the desire to (merely) have a semblance of control over a situation like I notice with e8...but rather it is as if you are coming-up against someone that is *fighting* for some cause...or what is right...or the underdog, etc. Like they have some invisible army behind them that they are defending...that gives them the energy to keep pushing forward or something. Even if the issue in question is quite small or insignificant...they will push forward in the defense of *something big*. There is always something *bigger* going on.

My personal impression (and I'm still learning Enneagram, so I welcome correction) is that the e6 forcefulness is REactive while the e8 forcefulness is PROactive. The reactive forcefulness can seem more unrelenting because as long as the stimulus is there, the reaction to the stimulus persists. The proactive forcefulness is more like a bus driving by: just stay out of its way, and it won't run you over.

Mia.

Between 5 and 6, I'd go with 5 based on your reaction to integration/disintegration. 6 is looking for security from others, or seeking to "have faith" in others. You don't strike me as the kind of person who is looking for that kind of security.

Hmm… I must have missed the post about reaction to integration/disintegration. See... I would say I do get that (bolded) vibe from him…. with the 5ness is coming from the presence of the wing…

I suppose it is equally plausible that as a 5w6 similar notes would be present… but still…

The energies, and also the flow of said energy, of the two types are hugely different. This is one of the reasons I also lean towards 6.

Agree on 8 for second spot. I would lean 3 for the last, but a good case could be made for 4.

I have a tentative theory that a lot of people will get typed by others as their 2nd-ranking type, in part because that's what happened to me. They see the brainy nerd and say, "5". But what *I* see in me is the 9, because I can see that if I "let go" and dissociate from the world, I'm going to disintegrate in the 9 direction, not the 5. I don't have Ted Kaczynski in me. Also, the highest levels of the 9 resonate with me: not that I want to be a mediator and help people get along together, but because *I* want to be at peace with myself, to have a real balance between myself and the world. Peace/balance always resonated more for me than "learning new stuff", which is merely something I happen with which I have considerable skill..

YES! I’ve had this theory for a while as well, and agree. I think this is quite common, since they are seeing how the person relates to the world. When I first came to the forum and didn’t know about enneagram and people were trying to type me, the most frequent guess was 5 at first.

Hmm….:thinking: my husband is a counterphobic 6 and that doesn’t sound like his flavor of forcefulness, with the exception of the unrelenting part… however…

My personal impression (and I'm still learning Enneagram, so I welcome correction) is that the e6 forcefulness is REactive while the e8 forcefulness is PROactive. The reactive forcefulness can seem more unrelenting because as long as the stimulus is there, the reaction to the stimulus persists. The proactive forcefulness is more like a bus driving by: just stay out of its way, and it won't run you over.

This is much more like him…

To me one of the biggest differences between the two is the type of energy behind it.

Starry

I very much agree with this. Well...I should say that I agree with this to a certain extent. As I told you in rep I'm still shuffling the details around in my mind as I do housework lol.

Hmm….:thinking: my husband is a counterphobic 6 and that doesn’t sound like his flavor of forcefulness, with the exception of the unrelenting part… however…

From reading your posts I wouldn't expect you and I to agree on much of anything really...and I certainly wouldn't expect today to be the day you would agree with something I wrote. However, what I said with regards to the 6w5 wasn't *magically* picked out of the air or anything. According to most descriptions that encompass the counterphobic 6w5...a key feature is this sense of fighting for something bigger. Defending the underdog so to speak. And so if none of what I wrote is even slightly familiar to you with regards to your husband...then I would question whether or not he was truly a 6w5.

The Six with a Five-Wing: "The Defender", By Riso and Hudson: Personality Types

The traits of the Six and those of the Five are in some degree of conflict with each other. The general orientation of Fives is toward detachment from people so that they can avoid being influenced by anyone. Sixes and Fives are both looking for safety, but Sixes look to alliances with others and commitment to systems of though for security, while Fives tend to retreat from others and to tinker with, or even dismantle, established systems of thought. Both tendencies exist in the Six with a Five-wing, producing a subtype which sees itself as fighting for the "little person," while at the same time being drawn to systems, alliances, and beliefs which often contain strong authoritarian elements. Sixes with a Five-wing can seem like Ones because they are serious, self-controlled, and committed to specific moral, ethical, and political beliefs. Like Eights, they can also be rather outspoken and passionate in the expression of their beliefs, with less concern about being liked than the Six with a Seven-wing.

Mia.

From reading your posts I wouldn't expect you and I to agree on much of anything really...and I certainly wouldn't expect today to be the day you would agree with something I wrote.

:sadbanana:

K..

Well FWIW I've always tended to enjoy your posts.

However, what I said with regards to the 6w5 wasn't *magically* picked out of the air or anything. According to most descriptions that encompass the counterphobic 6w5...a key feature is this sense of fighting for something bigger. Defending the underdog so to speak. And so if none of what I wrote is even slightly familiar to you with regards to your husband...then I would question whether or not he was truly a 6w5.

He's not a 6w5, he's a 6w7... I didn't think what you wrote was magically picked out of the air, was just making a comment about how my husband as a 6w7 is different from that description... which helps further cement 6w7 in my mind. :shock:

Starry

Okay...I was kinda hoping BlackCat would have been here by now...but I'll attempt to fumble through... I started over-thinking the definitions of ‘reactive’ and ‘proactive’ yesterday lol. I should say that while I have interacted with phobic 6w5s of all MBTIs…the only truly cp 6w5 individuals I have known irl are/were either xNFJ or xNTJ. < --- and I do notice some differences between these two. The xNFJs seem to ‘follow’ the model you laid out…this sort of ‘over-reaction’ to a certain stimulus (sometimes the stimulus is something that only exists in their *reality*)…and once the stimulus is gone they return to a base-line of ‘okay…we are all getting along, everyone here is fitting into my ideal, everyone here is loyal to me and we are all on the same page…’ But the xNTJs are a little different in that they do demonstrate what I believe is PROactive behavior (although I don’t know if others would recognize it as such)…as they seem to like to shake-things-up a bit…I think, to see where the chips fall. Always testing and retesting everything…theories, people, systems, etc. I think their ‘forcefulness’ comes from pushing-up against boundaries…and questioning everything. I think I’ve read somewhere that xxTJ e8s will push-up against boundaries and ask probing questions purely for the (primarily harmless) enjoyment of watching people squirm. But this isn’t what the cp 6w5 boundary pushing/testing/questioning behavior is about. They are truly attempting to ascertain who is who and what is what. What is strong – What is true. < --- I think they call this cp 6 ‘The Devil’s Advocate’ as they often take on that role in order to flesh-out all of those things. Anyway…I do think there is a good deal of ‘proactive force’ in all of that.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
FWIW, both myself and my cp 6w5 ISTP coworker are "proactive" in the sense that we will move to protect ourselves from things that we have identified to be potentially dangerous (in the work context, this usually means taking certain precautions when certain people are around). The cognition is technically reactive, since we are responding to a perceived threat, but the behavior itself is proactive. But I think this sort of thing is what 6 really is all about - you totally distort reality by interpreting a threat when there is not really one. It's like acting as if there's an elephant in the room, when there isn't. You're just creating anxiety and more work for yourself. I don't understand e8 very well, though, admittedly - not enough to contrast it extensively. My impression is that 8 is more about making yourself strong, while 6 is more about taking down outside forces because they threaten the wellbeing of both oneself and others.

I also believe that fighting for the underdog and championing a greater cause than oneself are blanket 6 traits and belong to neither wing exclusively. That, or I'm a 6w5 and don't realize it. Lol.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FWIW, both myself and my cp 6w5 ISTP coworker are "proactive" in the sense that we will move to protect ourselves from things that we have identified to be potentially dangerous (in the work context, this usually means taking certain precautions when certain people are around). The cognition is technically reactive, since we are responding to a perceived threat, but the behavior itself is proactive. But I think this sort of thing is what 6 really is all about - you totally distort reality by interpreting a threat when there is not really one. It's like acting as if there's an elephant in the room, when there isn't. You're just creating anxiety and more work for yourself. I don't understand e8 very well, though, admittedly - not enough to contrast it extensively. My impression is that 8 is more about making yourself strong, while 6 is more about taking down outside forces because they threaten the wellbeing of both oneself and others.

I also believe that fighting for the underdog and championing a greater cause than oneself are blanket 6 traits and belong to neither wing exclusively. That, or I'm a 6w5 and don't realize it. Lol.

This is pretty right on. Although I'm not sure it is a distorting of reality more like filling in the blanks. Sometimes you can see the pieces of the puzzle before they are put together and what picture those pieces make is, to the cp 6w5, inevitable.

Mia.

This is very much what I observe with my 6w7… thanks for the insight and great description. I think you're right concerning the differences between 6 and 8.

It could also be your NFness coming through. :)

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I meant to put 8w7, not 9w1.

Edit: Because I was thinking of an 8 with 1 overtones.

Last edited: