User Tag List

View Poll Results: What enneagram type am I? (please only vote if you've read the whole thread... thx)

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1w9

2 10.53%
  • 1w2

0 0%
  • 2w1

0 0%
  • 2w3

0 0%
  • 3w2

0 0%
  • 3w4

0 0%
  • 4w3

0 0%
  • 4w5

0 0%
  • 5w4

1 5.26%
  • 5w6

5 26.32%
  • 6w5

8 42.11%
  • 6w7

0 0%
  • 7w6

0 0%
  • 7w8

0 0%
  • 8w7

2 10.53%
  • 8w9

0 0%
  • 9w8

0 0%
  • 9w1

1 5.26%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Why not fork over a few bucks and take the longer test here: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/Te...tery.asp#RHETI

Perhaps that will provide the clarification you seek.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Why not fork over a few bucks and take the longer test here: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/Te...tery.asp#RHETI

Yes, that one's better. I took it at PeaceBaby's recommendation several months ago. It's worth the $10 or whatever it was.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Yes, that one's better. I took it at PeaceBaby's recommendation several months ago. It's worth the $10 or whatever it was.
    Ok, just took the 38 question sample test (http://www.9types.com/rheti/index.php) that is a shorter version of the test you guys recommended, but I didn't really like it.

Honestly, the forced choice method was horrible; I've never taken a test where such a high percentage of the time I could say yes to either option.

Anyway, here were my results:

RHETI Enneagram Type Indicator Results

Your highest score will indicate you basic type, or it will be among the top 2-3 scores. You answered 36 questions out of 38. For best results, you should answer all the questions that apply.
    Type 1 - 7
    Type 2 - 1
    Type 3 - 5
    Type 4 - 4
    Type 5 - 6
    Type 6 - 4
    Type 7 - 2
    Type 8 - 4
    Type 9 - 1
    This would seem to add the possibility that I'm an enneagram 1 or an enneagram 5, on top of the possibilities we've already mentioned that I'm a 6w5 or an 8w9.

Honestly, I'm starting to think that the enneagram just isn't as good as MBTI/typology...

Why would just one of these "traits" be the central trait to our lives, as opposed to all of these traits potentially being significant traits, to varying degrees, in our lives?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Wow, took their new test from that same site, which I actually liked a lot more, as it wasn't just either/or but was on a 5-point sliding scale, and the results came out even more ambiguous:

Enneagram Personality Type Indicator Results

Your highest score will indicate you basic type, or it will be among the top 2-3 scores. Low scores in some type might come out negative. That's perfectly normal.
    For best results, you should answer all the questions that apply.

Type 1 - 4
    Type 2 - 1
    Type 3 - (5)
    Type 4 - 5
    Type 5 - 3
    Type 6 - (3)
    Type 7 - 1
    Type 8 - (4)
    Type 9 - (2)

If the number is in (parentheses) it's because it was negative.
    Went back and changed two of my answers slightly (as I'd planned to do), to see how it would affect my scores:

Type 1 - 5
    Type 2 - 1
    Type 3 - (5)
    Type 4 - 5
    Type 5 - 4
    Type 6 - (3)
    Type 7 - 1
    Type 8 - (5)
    Type 9 - (3)
    http://www.9types.com/newtest/

Enneagram

Thanks a lot! I took the test and now I'm confused too.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Dude, my faith in the enneagram is rather low at this point...

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Believe me: stop to take tests: it is useless if you don't really understand the model. An enneatype can't be summarized just with one trait. Actually, the theory is that we lost one essential quality when we grew up in the world, and so we built our personality to replaced that quality. That "aquired personality" is our fake self, with a mental fixation and a passion associated, while when we can overcome our personality, we are connected with our essence with an holy idea and a virtue associated. For example, the lost essential quality of the 6 is faith, faith in peoples, in life, in authority. The mental fixation (or "vice") is cowardice, the passion is fear/doubt, and in the essence, the holy idea (wich is actually, the lost essential quality) is faith, the virtue is courage. Some peoples are more in their personality, some others more in thier essence, you can be yourself one of the two, or a mix of both.

I recomend you the Helen Palmer's book for the description of the 9 types, and to read it entirely, including the introduction. You can also read some others books or online ressources for more precision. But Enneagram is not about to use categories to class your behaviors, like MBTI, so, your enneatype is not findable just with a test. You need serious study, and a various level of introspection. Some peoples identify their type quickly, some others don't. But you need to read the 9 descriptions. It is usually advised to read them like that: 3-6-9 then 1-7-5-8-2-4, in that order, to see the integration/disintegration process and understand better the differences between the diferents types. I think it is a good idea.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Ok, just took the 38 question sample test (http://www.9types.com/rheti/index.php) that is a shorter version of the test you guys recommended, but I didn't really like it.

Honestly, the forced choice method was horrible; I've never taken a test where such a high percentage of the time I could say yes to either option.
    I took the long test and thought it was fine. Not sure why it was bad for you but I've felt that way before with other tests so I understand what you mean. I think Jennifer once said there are people enneagram doesn't really seem to work for. I've found it to be of value though.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Believe me: stop to take tests: it is useless if you don't really understand the model. An enneatype can't be summarized just with one trait. Actually, the theory is that we lost one essential quality when we grew up in the world, and so we built our personality to replaced that quality. That "aquired personality" is our fake self, with a mental fixation and a passion associated, while when we can overcome our personality, we are connected with our essence with an holy idea and a virtue associated. For example, the lost essential quality of the 6 is faith, faith in peoples, in life, in authority. The mental fixation (or "vice") is cowardice, the passion is fear/doubt, and in the essence, the holy idea (wich is actually, the lost essential quality) is faith, the virtue is courage. Some peoples are more in their personality, some others more in thier essence, you can be yourself one of the two, or a mix of both.

I recomend you the Helen Palmer's book for the description of the 9 types, and to read it entirely, including the introduction. You can also read some others books or online ressources for more precision. But Enneagram is not about to use categories to class your behaviors, like MBTI, so, your enneatype is not findable just with a test. You need serious study, and a various level of introspection. Some peoples identify their type quickly, some others don't. But you need to read the 9 descriptions. It is usually advised to read them like that: 3-6-9 then 1-7-5-8-2-4, in that order, to see the integration/disintegration process and understand better the differences between the diferents types. I think it is a good idea.
    Cool.

Thanks for the advice.

I liked your quick summary of the underlying theory, which I have somewhat acquainted myself to.

A question: doesn't it seem a bit odd that each of us would lose exactly one "essential" quality? Seems a little new age, mumbo jumbo to me...

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I took the long test and thought it was fine. Not sure why it was bad for you but I've felt that way before with other tests so I understand what you mean. I think Jennifer once said there are people enneagram doesn't really seem to work for. I've found it to be of value though.
    Yeah, I'm starting to wonder whether it might just not work for me...

My MBTI type fits me extremely well, but I've read about five of my most likely enneagram profiles, and none of them seems to quite hit the nail on the head...

My girlfriend agrees, too; like me, she thinks that a number of the profiles seem to fit to a certain degree, but none of them to all too strong of a degree...

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Actually, the theory is that we lost one essential quality when we grew up in the world, and so we built our personality to replaced that quality.
    just a few thought starters for your likely types,
    i forgot where i read this.

• lost sight of: we are all one and are perfect as we are
    • believes instead: ppl are not accepted for who they are--good behavior is expected and taken for granted. bad behavior and impulses are judged negatively and punished
    • adaptive strategy: gain love and self regard by being good, meeting high internal standards. surpress anger and developed tension and resentment

• lost sight of: there's an ample supply of all the knowledge and energy everyone need
    • believes instead: world demands too much from ppl / gives them too little - potential leaving depleted
    • adaptive strategy: protect self from intrusive demands and being drained of own resources by becoming self sufficient and private -- limiting desires and wants by accumulating knowledge.
    • develop a sense of avarice--only for things they can't do without

• lost sight of: faith in ourselves, others
    • believes: world is unpredictable and hazardous, can't trust one another
    • adaptive strategy - doubting, vigilant, questioning,
      --counter phobic : defy authority to avoid percieved threats and hazards
      --phobic: obey authority to avoid percieved threats and hazards

• lost sight of: everyone begins with innocence--everyone can sense truth
    • believes instead: hard injustice world--powerful takes advantage of others, must be resisted.
    • adaptive strategy: learned to become strong and powerful by imposing own truth and hiding
    • vulnerability in order to protect self and gain respect, developed a forceful, lustful energy and rely on own instincts
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken