User Tag List

View Poll Results: What enneagram type am I? (please only vote if you've read the whole thread... thx)

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1w9

2 10.53%
  • 1w2

0 0%
  • 2w1

0 0%
  • 2w3

0 0%
  • 3w2

0 0%
  • 3w4

0 0%
  • 4w3

0 0%
  • 4w5

0 0%
  • 5w4

1 5.26%
  • 5w6

5 26.32%
  • 6w5

8 42.11%
  • 6w7

0 0%
  • 7w6

0 0%
  • 7w8

0 0%
  • 8w7

2 10.53%
  • 8w9

0 0%
  • 9w8

0 0%
  • 9w1

1 5.26%
First 123412 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Anybody have any idea how to differentiate myself from a 6w5 sx/so, and an 8 sx/so?
    I don't know much about 8s in-depth (like the wings, stackings, levels). I've always scanned over because I knew it was one type that I'm absolutely not and don't have much influence from. If I had my books here I'd type some stuff up but I lent them to a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra
    Also, at what point does one of the numbers to the left or right of your primary number become a wing?
    Most people have a wing by default, but a few others are a 'pure' type (I think it's rare). For 6s, I think the wing is important because the two types of 6s are so different.

And what does it mean if you've got two numbers, not adjacent, that are both really high?

Is that supposedly a problem with the test? Or are there such things as 6/8s?
    Enneagram can be divided several ways and all of those ways can influence your results.

All of the types in a triad can relate to each other in more than a few ways (especially because of wings and lines), so someone who is a 5, for instance, is likely to also score high on 6 and 7 (but less likely with 7, because 5 only goes to 7 when significantly stressed). Someone who is a 2 is likely to score high on 2, 1, 3, 8, and even 4 if very healthy. That's because 1 and 3 are its possible wings, 3 is another heart type, 8 is the disintegration point, and 4 is an integration point.

They are also split up into Positive Outlook (2, 7, 9), Competency (1, 3, 5), and Reactive (4, 6, 8). Someone scoring high in 4 and 6 implies "reactive"! Someone scoring high in 1 and 3 implies "highly concerned with competency". Someone scoring high in 2, 6, 9, 3, and 7 might imply "optimistic approval-seeking extrovert", and that would imply the true type is something like 3 (believes in self and future opportunities, desires a positive image, just goes after what they want). Probably a bad example, but... I think that the connections you can make with test results are nearly endless.

The variants can make you come up high in certain types too, due to the traits associated with average-level types. Self-preservation is stereotypically types like 5 and 6, for instance. Social is stereotypically types like 2 and 3. That doesn't mean it always is, just that the test might make that association because it's only a test.

Or is it most likely aggression due to counterphobic 6ness causing me to register high on 8ness?
    I think this is a likely answer. Phobic 6s tend to score high on 9 while counter-phobic tend to score high on 8.
    Last edited by Noon; 10-23-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: cleaned

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Thanks for the opinions and comments, guys.

Anybody have any idea how to differentiate myself from a 6w5 sx/so, and an 8 sx/so?

Also, at what point does one of the numbers to the left or right of your primary number become a wing?

And what does it mean if you've got two numbers, not adjacent, that are both really high?

Is that supposedly a problem with the test? Or are there such things as 6/8s?

Or is it most likely aggression due to counterphobic 6ness causing me to register high on 8ness?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    I have thought before you might be an 8 sx. but that may be projection. I don't know how to differentiate between the two you mention but I can see things in you that I see in myself. I think the wing stuff probably works for most people but for me personally, it doesn't resonate at all.

After years of being skeptical about it, I've come to the conclusion that this enneagram is pretty good stuff - worth investigating. It gets into the darker side of your personality and helps you understand some secrets about what can hold you back or propel you forward.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    Enneagram can be divided several ways and all of those ways can influence your results.

All of the types in a triad can relate to each other in more than a few ways (especially because of wings and lines), so someone who is a 5, for instance, is likely to also score high on 6 and 7 (but less likely with 7, because 5 only goes to 7 when significantly stressed). Someone who is a 2 is likely to score high on 2, 1, 3, 8, and even 4 if very healthy. That's because 1 and 3 are its possible wings, 3 is another heart type, 8 is the disintegration point, and 4 is an integration point.

They are also split up into Positive Outlook (2, 7, 9), Competency (1, 3, 5), and Reactive (4, 6, 8). Someone scoring high in 4 and 6 implies "reactive"! Someone scoring high in 1 and 3 implies "highly concerned with competency". Someone scoring high in 2, 6, 9, 3, and 7 might imply "optimistic approval-seeking extrovert", and that would imply the true type is something like 3 (believes in self and future opportunities, desires a positive image, just goes after what they want). Probably a bad example, but... I think that the connections you can make with test results are nearly endless.

The variants can make you come up high in certain types too, due to the traits associated with average-level types. Self-preservation is stereotypically types like 5 and 6, for instance. Social is stereotypically types like 2 and 3. That doesn't mean it always is, just that the test might make that association because it's only a test.
    All good info, thanks.

I think this is a likely answer. Phobic 6s tend to score high on 9 while counter-phobic tend to score high on 8.
    Got it. Good to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    After years of being skeptical about it, I've come to the conclusion that this enneagram is pretty good stuff - worth investigating. It gets into the darker side of your personality and helps you understand some secrets about what can hold you back or propel you forward.
    Yeah, I've largely ignored it up til now, choosing to focus on MBTI, but now I feel I've got a pretty good grasp of the latter, and I certainly don't think it's an all-encompassing system by any means, so learning about other systems, and especially gaining knowledge of the various ways the MBTI types tend to manifest within the enneagram system, seems like it would be very enlightening.

Thanks for the input.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Here are some Sx/So 8 if you want to compare.

[youtube=OEFfWs8xL4s]Frank Sinatra 8w7 Sx/So[/youtube]
    [youtube=BEX1byJrwAU]P!nk 8w7 Sx/So[/youtube]
    [youtube=FJ-ZTKMaWoA]Queen Latifah 8w7 Sx/So[/youtube]
    [youtube=67VwRMTxzx0]Billy Idol 8w7 Sx/So[/youtube]

[youtube=iRhkD_OA4Ik]James Brown 8w9 Sx/So[/youtube]
    [youtube=PbUtL_0vAJk]Martin Luther King 8w9 Sx/So[/youtube]
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ISFJ

that would imply the true type is something like 3 (believes in self and future opportunities, desires a positive image, just goes after what they want).
    What do you mean by true type?

Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    What do you mean by true type?
    The type the person actually is instead of just what they test as.
    Again, it was probably a bad example... Basically just trying to use several of the grouping traits to get a generalized understanding.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'm sorry, I'm not following, which person?

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    um...but how do you really know they are those types. i'm not really sure that i agree with your bukowski typing.
    It was on a list of youtube videos associatd with each enneagram types, posted by Blackcat. I suppose peoples are typed according to their behavior, history etc, like for MBTI probably. As for Bukowski, he's always typed as ENFP, seems right to me, but if you've a better guessing, feel free.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm not following, which person?
    Oh, it's purely hypothetical. Just the hypothetical person taking a test.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    As for Bukowski, he's always typed as ENFP, seems right to me, but if you've a better guessing, feel free.
    I think Bukowski's definitely an NFP, it's just whether he's an introvert or extrovert.

I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Here are some Sx/So 8 if you want to compare.
    See, this is what makes it difficult, cuz I definitely do not fit in with the 8w7s, but the 8w9 seems like a realistic possibility.

Speedy, do you happen to know what MBTI types James Brown and MLK are generally considered to be?

I found this interesting thread at the enneagram institute about the difference between 6w5s and 8w9s.

Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    Quote Originally Posted by maryclyens
    Similarities?
    Differences?
    Both focussed on protecting themselves and their group (family, business, people who agree with their ideals), tendency towards somewhat contentious, 'it's eat or be eaten' outlooks.

6w5s more cautious and socially-aware, focus on rival groups ('them'), desire to support a group to protect self from rival groups, act as the troubleshooter/collaborator, tendency towards suspicion and denouncing others as not really on-side.

8w9s more self-confident and casual, focus on own group, desire to support group as an extension of themselves, act as the protector/leader, tendency towards egocentricity and trying to dominate others.
    I just read both descriptions to my girlfriend without telling her which was which, and she thought the 6w5 description fit me better, although both did resonate.

I felt both resonated as well, but I thought the bolded resonated more strongly with me.

I think part of the issue is that I'm kind of an xNTJ, so my greater extroversion and proximity to being an ENTJ probably throws some 8-flavor into my enneagram mix...