• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INxP

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I get on very intimately with some, but I *do not* feel compelled to be intimate or harmonious with everyone. It is selective.. And I feel no guilt about it.. it feels completely fine.

heart

heart on fire
I get on very intimately with some, but I *do not* feel compelled to be intimate or harmonious with everyone. It is selective.. And I feel no guilt about it.. it feels completely fine.

It is not feeling compelled to be initmate with everyone, it is wanting to have initmate relationships and having harmony within those and not finding people who fit that need easily. My friendships tend to be transitory and elusive, partly because of feeling the strain of keeping harmony and keeping true to myself.

I don't necessarily *want* to have harmony with everyone, it is just that when there are negative emotions they affect me negatively and it is hard to detach from that. So it is more like a need that this world mostly cannot fill.

I think a big clue would be how you feel around people who are upset and how you have to go about feeling that way. For me, there is always a great energy drain if I try to be detached to emotion. It seems natural to the INTP to detach.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I have never.. ever.. understood the concept of absorbing another's emotions.. Like I mentioned in a previous post.. I can only offer my thoughts.. When someone comes to me crying I get a deer-in-the-headlights look, and I just get really confused and overwhelmed because I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It could be that you are INTP but as a female, you have been tought to be like F even if you weren't. It's not always approved for females to be T culture wise or men to be F so women are expected to be warm and caring and men tough etc.

Functions, have you thought about them? INTP is TiNe and INFJ FiNe. There is a difference at least I would think so even if Fi is hard to understand.

heart

heart on fire
I have never.. ever.. understood the concept of absorbing another's emotions.. Like I mentioned in a previous post.. I can only offer my thoughts.. When someone comes to me crying I get a deer-in-the-headlights look, and I just get really confused and overwhelmed because I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

In comparison I am most likely to feel overwhelmed by other's strong emotions too, but because the vibrations (for lack of a better word) are entering my field and overwhelming me. If it is a person I feel close to and repsect/care for then it is easy to express compassion, but if I do not then it is a hard situation to cope with and I usually just want to get away from the confusion of having their strong emotions invade me.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************ (24.4)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******* (7.6)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************** (44.8)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************** (22.4)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************************** (35.4)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************************************ (60.8)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******* (7.6)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************ (36.4)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

My results

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It looks like you are strong in Ti therefore you must be INTP! :)
Case solved and closed. ;)
Do you agree Dana?

heart

heart on fire
I think it is a great thing for a young person to be able to get totally straight about which type fits them best. I spent so many years living in the shadow of admiring my INTJ Dad and the best points of him, and his devaluation of Feeling. Without another source of postive role model, I wanted to emulate his good qualities and also those of a ISTJ sister. Both of them were the dearest people in all the world to be, the people who I felt I could admire who were close to me. I wanted to meet their approval and feeling was not the way to do that!

I tried to be something I am not for so many years, just wasting energy and not learning as much about my real self as I could have. I feel it affected my growth as a person so negatively.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Update: I have happily settled with INFP. I have asked Geoff to move my blog, and I will hereby shut up about my type :laugh:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of course, since you're a P, I somehow don't think you will ever close this argument! :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Update: I have happily settled with INFP. I have asked Geoff to move my blog, and I will hereby shut up about my type :laugh:

Honestly, at this point I'm beginning to think the system is rather ridiculous if you can't figure out an INTP from an INFP...

I still don't know what type you are, personally. I'm beginning to think it probably doesn't really mean anything if it's so hard to discern.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP

Well, before I do - you strike me as more INTP. You sure yet? We don't want the thread move hokey cokey!

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Since you have narrowed your choices to INP, have you taken a good self-analysis of your temperament preferences? Most likely the Catalyst and Theorist temperaments are your strongest. So which do you believe your core needs fit best with:
The Catalyst Temperament
(Diplomatic Skill Set)

The core needs are for the meaning and significance that come from having a sense of purpose and working toward some greater good. They need to have a sense of unique identity. They value unity, self-actualization, and authenticity. People of this temperament prefer cooperative interactions with a focus on ethics and morality. They tend to trust their intuition and impressions first and then seek to find the logic and the data to support them. Given their need for empathic relationships, they learn more easily when they can relate to the instructor and the group.

-OR-

The Theorist Temperament
(Strategic Skill Set)

The core needs are for mastery of concepts, knowledge, and competence. People of this temperament want to understand the operating principles of the universe and to learn or even develop theories for everything. They value expertise, logical consistency, concepts, and ideas and seek progress. They tend toward pragmatic, utilitarian actions with a technology focus. They trust logic above all else. They tend to be skeptical and highly value precision in language. Their learning style is conceptual, and they want to know the underlying principles that generate the details and facts rather than the details alone.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Okay,

Talent: Strategic Skill-Set
Learning: Knowledge-Centered
Self-Leadership: Expertise-Oriented

My results were Theorist, followed by Catalyst.

Thanks for that test, "?".

Theorist: Want knowledge and to be competent, to achieve. Seek to understand how the world and things in it work. Are theory oriented. See everything as conditional and relative. Are oriented to the infinite. Trust logic and reason. Want to have a rationale for everything. Are skeptical. Think in terms of differences, delineating categories, definitions, structures, and functions. Hunger for precision, especially in thought and language. Are skilled at long-range planning, inventing, designing, and defining. Generally are calm. Foster individualism. Frequently gravitate toward technology and the sciences. Well suited for engineering and devising strategy, whether in the social or physical sciences.

This, I identify with.

Catalyst:Want to be authentic, benevolent and empathic. Search for identity, meaning and significance. Are relationship oriented, particularly valuing meaningful relationships. Are romantic and idealistic, wanting to make the world a better place. Look to the future. Trust their intuition, imagination, impressions. Focus on developing potential, fostering and facilitating growth through coaching, teaching, counseling, communicating. Generally are enthusiastic. Think in terms of integration and similarities and look for universals. Are gifted in the use of metaphors to bridge different perspectives. Are diplomatic. Frequently are drawn to work that inspires and develops people and relationships.

This.. where I don't identify is the whole integration and relationships thing.. I don't want to make the world a better place.. I do search for my identity.. but that is a very human thing to do.. I do not strive to be benevolent and empathic.. or harmonious.. I am just naturally that way. Often, I surprise people with my cold, detached response to their invasion of my boundaries.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Lol.. when I read the description of the Catalyst to my mom she said "Hell no! Oh my god, no way."

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of course, since you're a P, I somehow don't think you will ever close this argument! :D

Okay,

Talent: Strategic Skill-Set
Learning: Knowledge-Centered
Self-Leadership: Expertise-Oriented

My results were Theorist, followed by Catalyst.

Thanks for that test, "?".

Theorist: Want knowledge and to be competent, to achieve. Seek to understand how the world and things in it work. Are theory oriented. See everything as conditional and relative. Are oriented to the infinite. Trust logic and reason. Want to have a rationale for everything. Are skeptical. Think in terms of differences, delineating categories, definitions, structures, and functions. Hunger for precision, especially in thought and language. Are skilled at long-range planning, inventing, designing, and defining. Generally are calm. Foster individualism. Frequently gravitate toward technology and the sciences. Well suited for engineering and devising strategy, whether in the social or physical sciences.

This, I identify with.

Catalyst:Want to be authentic, benevolent and empathic. Search for identity, meaning and significance. Are relationship oriented, particularly valuing meaningful relationships. Are romantic and idealistic, wanting to make the world a better place. Look to the future. Trust their intuition, imagination, impressions. Focus on developing potential, fostering and facilitating growth through coaching, teaching, counseling, communicating. Generally are enthusiastic. Think in terms of integration and similarities and look for universals. Are gifted in the use of metaphors to bridge different perspectives. Are diplomatic. Frequently are drawn to work that inspires and develops people and relationships.

This.. where I don't identify is the whole integration and relationships thing.. I don't want to make the world a better place.. I do search for my identity.. but that is a very human thing to do.. I do not strive to be benevolent and empathic.. or harmonious.. I am just naturally that way. Often, I surprise people with my cold, detached response to their invasion of my boundaries.

Lol.. when I read the description of the Catalyst to my mom she said "Hell no! Oh my god, no way."

:banana: Everyone should listen to Uber, for Uber is all-knowing! :banana:

:hug: Dana, I'm so sorry that [an anonymous higher power] made you a P, but I empathize!

But if you're an INFP, your F is introverted, which is probably why you may seem aloof to others. That's often why INTPs and INFPs are hard to tell apart, because they behave similarly with their extroverted function, but they think differently. But really, F or not, I don't think any introverted type is inclined to wear their heart on their sleeve.