User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: INxP

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I too was wondering about the quote function. It appears you deleted your lengthier post -- why?
    Not really.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    When you are filling out your profile, it offers "hobbies", not interests, so I only listed what I enjoy doing.

Psychology is a huge interest of mine. My research sucks up the greatest portion of my time.
    Interesting answer. The fact that you discerned the difference between hobbies and interest might indicate that you are an INTP because allegedly INTPs are careful with grammar and wording. On the other hand I assumed hobbies and interests were bascially one in the same.

"Precise about their descriptions, INTPs will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off. While annoying to the less concise, this fine discrimination ability gives INTPs so inclined a natural advantage as, for example, grammarians and linguists. "
    - INTP Profile

MBTI
    INFJ

It is not that I doubt I am an INFP. It is that I test INTP, and I identify with INTP...

I don't walk on eggshells, and I don't expect others to walk on eggshells with me. I have always been one to challenge the claims of people I am around, and I can detach and understand both sides of an argument.

I have always held competence to a high regard, whether or not I "like" the person. My feelings toward the person are often irrelevant and not even conscious. I value justice over mercy. I have never been a merciful person.. but I feel a connection with people that makes me think I could be an INFP. I am moved by movies and music... but I have little sympathy. I am just not a sympathetic person.. I don't understand it. Whenever someone comes to me with their problems, I always approach the situation frankly.. because I see it as an opportunity for them to understand a little more about life or themself.

Hi Dana,

You've expressed yourself very well. I especially relate to the bolded part in terms of the way my INTP husband is in this regard: he's kind but not in the least sympathetic. He's a problem solver who doesn't spend time on how bad something feels; instead he explains why things are the way they are and/or offers a suggestion about how to change or accept them.

He's not challenging, but he is a Devil's Advocate, seeing things from both sides easily. It's my experience that INTPs value competence and appreciate a logical point of view whether or not they like the person, even if that person is arrogant or obnoxious.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INFP

Nadir, I consolidated my "data" into the first post to make it easier for people to read.

INTJMom, I'm female, so it probably does.

Well I'm beginning to truly believe I am an INTP. I have always believed myself to be one until an acquaintance of mine convinced me I was an INFP. If someone has some evidence that sticks out to support the INFP theory.. now would be the time to jump in, because I'm committing.

Thanks JustDave and Jae Rae for your insightful contributions.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Ah, it seems I was briefly lost in the tempest of copious post-editing.
    Not really.

heart on fire

Nadir, I consolidated my "data" into the first post to make it easier for people to read.

INTJMom, I'm female, so it probably does.

Well I'm beginning to truly believe I am an INTP. I have always believed myself to be one until an acquaintance of mine convinced me I was an INFP. If someone has some evidence that sticks out to support the INFP theory.. now would be the time to jump in, because I'm committing.

Thanks JustDave and Jae Rae for your insightful contributions.
    What do you read for pleasure?

MBTI
    INFP

Nonfiction....

Rarely, very rarely, I will read fiction.. Rebecca, or Ender's Game, for example.

heart on fire

So you are saying that you don't think I'm an INFP because I don't let people walk all over me?

I know INFPs that don't let people walk all over them. Heart, for one of many.
    Well, this didn't start until around my mid 30s really. It is like I am compelled to do it and I am compelled to argue about things that seem important to me at times and it is as if I am at war inside myself over it. It always creates a feeling of unpleasantness inside me when I create disharmony around me, but I feel I must be true to what is inside me as well. It is a conflicted situation at present. I am extremely sensitive to other people's emotions.

I think maybe you need the input of female INTP here to compare to.

MBTI
    INFP

I am strongly compelled toward self-preservation, and for me Self Pres and creating harmony tend to be mutually exclusive, because someone is crossing a territory of mine (expecting my time, company, emotions). It rears it's ugly head when someone of the opposite sex wants me to invest my time and emotions in them without my signaling of interest.. and I feel threatened or challenged. S types are the ones that cross that line.

It never happens between me and other females. I am very kind to them because I feel a sense of comraderie.

heart on fire

I am strongly compelled toward self-preservation, and for me Self Pres and creating harmony tend to be mutually exclusive, because someone is crossing a territory of mine (expecting my time, company, emotions). It rears it's ugly head when someone of the opposite sex wants me to invest my time and emotions in them without my signaling of interest.. and I feel threatened or challenged. S types are the ones that cross that line.

It never happens between me and other females. I am very kind to them because I feel a sense of comraderie.
    I am strong self preservation and strong initmacy, so this is why the inner conflict for me. The two needs are often warring because as you say it is hard to keep harmony with others in this world and to preserve self as well. When I was younger I compenstated for this by being extremely withdrawn and keeping my inner self protected. I was very cold on the outside and warm on the inside.