Thread: ENTP or INTJ???

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Default ENTP or INTJ???

Im so confused right now. I have thought I was an ENTP, and I was pretty much positive of it but i have been looking into it and I think Im an INTJ. Im cerebrally equal so I flip between right and left brain all the time. I have a tendency to make strategies in a step by step manner just like an INTJ but at the same time im very social and hardly miss a chance to do something social. At the same time I am a total introvert around my family mainly because they are all sensors and wont understand me very well. Anyone have any ideas on this? Could I just be an INTJ who masks as an ENTP? Usually when im in a new environment i think about how I can adapt to a situation to end up on top. I dont have a real deep understanding of cognitive functions so this makes it harder for me. Do any of you know any external evidence i could definitely tell whether i am one or the other? This seems like a weird pair of types to be confused on.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Have you checked out www.bestfittype.com ? There are some very good type descriptions on there.

Also- INTJs are chart the course, ENTPs are get things going-

Chart the Course-

The theme is having a course of action to follow. People of this stylefocus on knowing what to do and keeping themselves, the group, or the project on track. They prefer to enter a situation having an idea of what is to happen. They identify a process to accomplish a goal and have a somewhat contained tension as they work to create and monitor a plan. The aim is not the plan itself, but to use it as a guide to move things along toward the goal. Their informed and deliberate decisions are based on analyzing, outlining, conceptualizing or foreseeing what needs to be done.
    As it manifests in an INTJ-

Maximizing achievements. Drive for self-mastery. Build a vision. Very long-range strategizing. Realizing progress toward goals. Systems thinking. Talent for seeing the reasons behind things. Being on the leading edge. Maintaining independence. Find it difficult to let go in interacting with others.
    Get things going-

The theme is persuading and involving others. They thrive in facilitator or catalyst roles and aim to inspire others to move to action, facilitating the process. Their focus is on interaction, often with an expressive style. They Get-Things-Going™ with upbeat energy, enthusiasm, or excitement, which can be contagious. Exploring options and possibilities, making preparations, discovering new ideas, and sharing insights are all ways they get people moving along. They want decisions to be participative and enthusiastic, with everyone involved and engaged.
    As it manifests in ENTP-

Being inventive. Talented at building prototypes and getting projects launched. Lifelong learning. Enjoy the creative process. Share their insights about life’s possibilities. Strategically formulate success. An inviting host. Like the drama of the give and take. Trying to be diplomatic. Surprised when their strategizing of relationships becomes problematic.
    Hope that helps a bit.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 10-18-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: typo
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

ReflecTcelfeR

Thanks, Black Cat, for posting that, this is very helpful in my aim if not Idontcare's.

MBTI
    intj

Actually, I'm sort of curious too.

@Idontcare have you tried taking any function tests? They might help.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Thanks for the help. I have concluded I am (still) an ENTP. After reading into functions is seems that I use both Ni and Ne quite a lot (which is why I was having this problem) with maybe a bit of dominance toward Ne.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

What is odd is that I seem to agree with both roles on the best fit type website. I actually agree with the INTJ role more.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
    This seems like a weird pair of types to be confused on.
    Not a weird pair of types to be confused on at all, actually.

By the way I use the term, ENTPs and INTJs are actually eachother's "shadow" types.

I'm definitely an INTJ, but there are times when I seem to either flip into ENTP "shadow" mode (Ne+Ti), or I'm just downshifting completely into my auxiliary loop (Te+Se), which makes me like an ENTJ.

I still haven't figured out which it is, but what basically happens is that, either when I'm out partying really hard for an extended amount of time, or when I'm working extremely long hours, pulling all-nighters and stuff, I'll shift into this extremely outgoing, extroverted mode, in order to keep my energy level up. This, despite the fact that I'm an introvert.

It really could be Ne+Ti or Te+Se: I'm really not in a sober enough state of mind at the time, nor do I have enough experience in these states, to know which it is...

Don't believe all the bullshit about you only using 4 functions and the other 4 being "inactive" yada yada yada... it's not proven, and it's based on very shaky premises.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Don't believe all the bullshit about you only using 4 functions and the other 4 being "inactive" yada yada yada... it's not proven, and it's based on very shaky premises.
    Pretty much what I had figured from the beginning, I have never heard any firm evidence for the theory. I mean we call them preferences but yet we say the other four are somehow inactive or subconscious, just doesnt seem feasible.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Pretty much what I had figured from the beginning, I have never heard any firm evidence for the theory.
    Exactly.

And the attempted explanations all seem rather contrived, if you ask me.

I mean, one can even cast doubt on the functions themselves, although I do think they stand up reasonably well.

Whether they're actually neurologically-based or not... ... but people definitely seem to identify with them, and talk about the same sorts of things going on in their heads, so...

I mean we call them preferences but yet we say the other four are somehow inactive or subconscious, just doesnt seem feasible.
    If you look at most peoples' functional preference tests, they tend to show something along the lines of the first two theoretically predicted functions for their type.

And when it really comes down to it, that's all you need for 16 types: the first two functions, one perceiving and on judging, one introverted and one extroverted.

After that, well, I think it gets a bit more complicated than the dominant paradigm seems to give credit...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The overall tone of the OP is ENTP.