• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fe Vs Fi (from one of your previous posts)

liYA

Written by lady X

''right...and a fi person will react warmly towards someone they feel a connection with...something within that person jives with their personal beliefs...a fe user i believe is more apt to treat everyone warmly because that's the nice thing to do...?? ''
(I try to treat everyone warmly because that's the nice thing to do)

''also...yeah...outwardly shown emotion is more of a fe thing, i think.'' (I'm not good at showing outwardly emotion)

''and fi will judge things based on their own made up belief system...and a fe person judges things based more on a global belief system...i think.'' ( I judge things based on my own made up belief system)

Written by Oakysage

To extremes

Feelers
Insult an Fe user and he/she will cry. ( I have cried after an insult)
Insult an Fi user and he/she will not show any emotion but cry on the inside. (but most of the time I will not show any emotion and cry on the inside)

Thinkers
Insult an Fe user and he/she will take hostile action towards you (verbally or physically) (I have reacted this way)
Insult an Fi user and he/she will ignore you and treat you like shit. (I have reacted this way as well)

Written by Cybin

I've heard Fe describes as being able to sense feelings radiating from others and see the way that they connect between people.( I have found myself sensing this) This is what gives way to the 'social etiquette' idea that gets equated with Fe. Fe users want harmony in the world. When unchecked, Fe users can lose themselves in maintaining his harmony to the point of overlooking their feelings. ( I do this ALOT)

Fi is an inner experience of feelings. They begin internally. Fi wants harmony in themselves. Fi relates to people by taking on the feelings of others as their own. (I do this ALOT as well) When unchecked, Fi users can lose themselves by taking on these feelings to such an extent it forgets about itself.( I do this too) Fi will help others by helping them find inner harmony, rather than between many people.

Do you find yourself using both as well??

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I find that my Ti with tertiary Fe makes me exhibit behaviours of both Fe and Fi. It's the Fe getting the values from society but the Ti filtering out those which I don't think make sense and to stand firmly by them. Since my Fe is low I'm not good at showing emotion, but I try to be gregarious unless someone makes an enemy out of me.

So yeah, I can relate.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, I do, and I've always thought it was wrong to say Fi users don't express like Fe users do. I think ExFPs at least are pretty damn expressive.

KDude

:thinking: Well.. Maybe I'm Ti-Fe, just like I keep thinking. Insulting me would at the very least entail a verbal defense.

I don't get into physical conflict much anymore, but I've been in plenty of fights.. and in some odd way, I prefer getting something bad out like that than totally ignoring a problem/person and just treating them like shit. Hell, I've gotten in fights, and then ended up on better terms WITHIN the fight itself..where I just started laughing.. like "..This is stupid, isn't it?"

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, Fi & Fe in different "positions" can appear differently. Particularly in ESFPs will Fi appear Fe-like to me, although upon closer examination I see a difference in the thought process, which is what the determining factor should be. What's your thought process behind your behavior?

I can display Fe-like behavior at times, but my reasoning is Fi-based. The thing is, my thought process is not comprised of one function; in particular, I use Ne. It's hard to untangle where one process begins & another ends in your own mind. Is there any one function you identify with the most? I'd start there, and then look at the types which use that function in the dom or aux position.

KDude

Oh to answer the question, I understand and experience this compulsion for inner harmony, but it certainly isn't so important that I can't treat as many people as possible fairly/nicely.. I don't just want to befriend people with deeper connections. If anything, my inner values tell me that I should make more effort than that. I feel like Fi (if that's what it is) is sort of subconsciously reinforcing a sort of bottom line reason to appreciate someone - y'know, like the basic fact that we're both just human beings and should get along. If they have different beliefs, or style, or whatever - cool. If someone isn't cheating or hurting or behaving selfishly, then they deserve the benefit of the doubt (Besides, it's bad enough how many you can find violate principles on that level. Best to not make my requirements even more isolating).

In Thomson's book, Fi has nothing to do with this "crying inside" or "made up values". It's about exactly what I'm saying - universal/humanitarian values. Fi is said to try to transcend societal or personal experience and tries to develop it's values on an archetypal level. If she's wrong, and it's just about making up your own overly-prejudiced bullshit values that can't even be talked about, then fair enough. I'm some Fe type then. I'm not a particularly "expressive" person, but all I know is that I try to be cooler than having such a focused, personal criteria for connecting. I can get along on a general level.

liYA

KDude I completely relate to you on everything you just said

Thanks for everyones input I appreciate it

liYA

KDude I completely relate to you on everything you just said

Thanks for everyones input I appreciate it

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh to answer the question, I understand and experience this compulsion for inner harmony, but it certainly isn't so important that I can't treat as many people as possible fairly/nicely.. I don't just want to befriend people with deeper connections. If anything, my inner values tell me that I should make more effort than that. I feel like Fi (if that's what it is) is sort of subconsciously reinforcing a sort of bottom line reason to appreciate someone - y'know, like the basic fact that we're both just human beings and should get along. If they have different beliefs, or style, or whatever - cool. If someone isn't cheating or hurting or behaving selfishly, then they deserve the benefit of the doubt (Besides, it's bad enough how many you can find violate principles on that level. Best to not make my requirements even more isolating).

In Thomson's book, Fi has nothing to do with this "crying inside" or "made up values". It's about exactly what I'm saying - universal/humanitarian values. Fi is said to try to transcend societal or personal experience and tries to develop it's values on an archetypal level. If she's wrong, and it's just about making up your own overly-prejudiced bullshit values that can't even be talked about, then fair enough. I'm some Fe type then. I'm not a particularly "expressive" person, but all I know is that I try to be cooler than having such a focused, personal criteria for connecting. I can get along on a general level.

:solidarity:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Feelers
Insult an Fe user and he/she will cry. ( I have cried after an insult)
Insult an Fi user and he/she will not show any emotion but cry on the inside. (but most of the time I will not show any emotion and cry on the inside)

Thinkers
Insult an Fe user and he/she will take hostile action towards you (verbally or physically) (I have reacted this way)
Insult an Fi user and he/she will ignore you and treat you like shit. (I have reacted this way as well)
People take the function names way too literally.

Feeling isn't about actual feelings so much as it is about ethical values. In fact, feelings outwardly displayed has nothing to do with Fe in any definition of Fe, whatsoever. The definition farthest from Jung's original intent is Linda Berens' definition (incidentally the most commonly accepted today) that Fe is about going along to get along. If anything Fe types would be less likely to show emotion, as it could upset others.

Incidentally, I'm most likely to verbally abuse someone who pisses me off than anything else.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Written by lady X

''right...and a fi person will react warmly towards someone they feel a connection with...something within that person jives with their personal beliefs...a fe user i believe is more apt to treat everyone warmly because that's the nice thing to do...?? ''

I do both. I show everyone an acceptable level of warmth because its the nice thing to do (unless you've mistreated me, then I may not be so nice), but I go out of my way to show a higher level of warmth to people I really connect with or know better.

''also...yeah...outwardly shown emotion is more of a fe thing, i think.''
''and fi will judge things based on their own made up belief system...and a fe person judges things based more on a global belief system...i think.''

I don't show alot of emotion. (Fi)
I'm more inclined to judge things by a more global system, I guess (Fe)

Written by Oakysage

To extremes

Feelers
Insult an Fe user and he/she will cry.
Insult an Fi user and he/she will not show any emotion but cry on the inside.

If someone hurts my feelings, I usually let them know. I try to avoid getting overly emotional but I have had the occasional emotional outburst when things have gotten to be too much. I burst into tears during one of my performance reviews. I tried hard to hold the tears back but my emotions got the best of me. I felt I was giving it my all and doing really well and felt the boss was unreasonably hard on me. I expected to get good to excellent ratings and instead got needs improvement in several key areas. Maybe I had an inferior Fe episode then? Maybe too much of my self-esteem is wrapped up in how competent others see me?

Thinkers
Insult an Fe user and he/she will take hostile action towards you (verbally or physically)
Insult an Fi user and he/she will ignore you and treat you like shit.

I think I'm more inclined towards the Fe behavior. I'd probably get all defensive and insult them back. Its difficult to just things like that go and act like everything is all okay.

Written by Cybin

I've heard Fe describes as being able to sense feelings radiating from others and see the way that they connect between people. This is what gives way to the 'social etiquette' idea that gets equated with Fe. Fe users want harmony in the world. When unchecked, Fe users can lose themselves in maintaining his harmony to the point of overlooking their feelings.

Harmony is key for me. I don't do well interacting with others who do not seem to give off harmonious vibes. I'm very sensitive to this. I have overlooked my own feelings at times for the sake of harmony. I think enneagram type 9 also plays a role here. I'm an enneagram 5 but I have a strong 9 component in my trifix.

Fi is an inner experience of feelings. They begin internally. Fi wants harmony in themselves. Fi relates to people by taking on the feelings of others as their own. When unchecked, Fi users can lose themselves by taking on these feelings to such an extent it forgets about itself. Fi will help others by helping them find inner harmony, rather than between many people.

I relate very well to the inner harmony part. I don't feel okay unless I've established inner harmony. I don't relate much to the rest. I understand what others are feeling and I can put myself in their shoes but rarely do I feel their feelings. Its more of an intellectual sort of understanding than an emotional one. I can't recall a time when I've been so wrapped up in someone else's feelings that I lost myself in the process.

I guess overall, I relate more to Fe than Fi, which I suppose is consistent with INTP. But in INTPs both Fe and Fi are weak. The difference is in INTPs the Fe is the inferior function and Fi is the demonic. When I really think about it, I do use Fe alot but I kind of see it as more of a force to be reckoned with rather than something that truly brings satisfaction and fulfillment. I suppose that's the nature of the inferior. I'm still trying to understand the role of demonic Fi.

But is it possible I'm not INTP? Compared to other INTPs I seem more Fe sensitive, especially in the need for harmony in the world and reacting poorly to insults. I'm not very thick-skinned.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
kdude put it well...my post totally made fi users sound elitist or something...that's not how i meant it but i'm not such the great writer...i'm warm and friendly to most people most of the time too..but like orangeappled (i think) said...it's the reasons behind it that are different...the thought processes...same behavior...different motivation...sometimes..