• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wrong types?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
All gone. Let's forget about the beginnig.

This all leads to question: Why do men have issue with being F?

Last edited:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
TBH, I don't really see what makes you disagree with these people's professed types. All I'm getting here is "my impression of these people doesn't fit the general impression of X type that I've formed, so they must not be type X." Could you be more specific?

Remember there are very few people who fit their type stereotype very well, it is after all a stereotype....most people will have at least several atypical traits. It doesn't mean they'd necessarily fit into another type better (although they may, of course).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Mostly because they don't want to be seen as effeminate.

Males compete. Often it is impersonal; but a man's competence/virility is important to him, even if some show it much more blatantly than others, and males do cut down other males who they see as effeminate.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't it allowed when trying to figure somebody's type that you make your own conclusions because people can be wrong abou their types if they have not studied the subject? Even people who have studied the subject can be wrong about their type. Wishing to be ENTJ doesn't make you one. I didn't change to be ESTJ even if I one time wanted to be one.

It's hard to tell. I have been through this enough that I no longer discuss members' types in open forum (or avoid it like the plague, at least).

There are people who I think aren't as experienced with type, based on their online assessment of themselves and others, and their claims are not accurate; but when you do start arguing with people, yes, one of the key points is, "Is this person expressing their normal self online?" (i.e., are my perceptions picking up representative data?) and "Is it hubris to think that you know someone better than they think they know themselves?"

It is rather a gray area. People aren't always their complete selves online. And it does seem prideful at times to think you might read someone better than they read themselves. But you cannot assume people understand the system or know themselves well; if this was true, the need for therapists would shrink a great deal.

As an example, my ISTJ engineering FIL took the MBTI and came out ENFJ. If you'd meet him in person, you'd just have to laugh, because he is a stereotypical ISTJ. But either the test didn't ask the right questions, or he got hung up on particular internal details rather than overall patterns of behavior. After he met with the work counselor, he agreed with the ISTJ. But it was just absurd... and yet he tested himself and came up with this ridiculous answer... and he's a very smart man. He's just not very good at all with intrapersonals.

It is sort of a matter of seeing what trends in one's perceptions and choices are important and which ones are not.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ

I asked my boyfriend (ISFJ) and he said that he doesn't really take issue with his sensitivity, but tends to keep it to himself so other guys don't see him as weak. He also said that he feels it's more beneficial to him in society to keep the sensitivity under wraps so he's respected by bosses and other people who may be judging him. However, he also thinks he's been able to use his sensitivity a little more now that he's a personal trainer and he does feel less stressed than he has at other jobs where being sensitive would have been more of an issue. It does help that his brother is "highly sensitive & a little odd" (his words, not mine! I'd say his brother is a very Fi driven INFP or ISFP but my boyfriend tends to lean towards describing eccentricities as "weird"), so he has always felt fairly comfortable with his level of sensitivity at home & in relatonships as he was the less sensitive of the two.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In my book, if a person claims to be a certain type, and test results consistently provide that type, then you have to just assume it's true.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Let's just say that I was wrong to assume anything and let's just forget the whole thing.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Rule number (and this is from "Gifts Differing" if I recall) #1, if you are male/female battling with F/T respectively, then most likely you prefer the function that runs counter to the cultural stereotype. You are attempting to assimilate.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Rule number (and this is from "Gifts Differing" if I recall) #1, if you are male/female battling with F/T respectively, then most likely you prefer the function that runs counter to the cultural stereotype. You are attempting to assimilate.

I'd better read that book soon. OMG, I love that! I've known my preference for feeling even before I knew the language for it, but I also know, that I can do a damn good fake theorist

zhandao

MBTI Type
xxxx
I prefer to be T rather than F not out of wanting to feel "male" but just because using T just makes sense. It doesn't make me feel stronger to be T (shit, there are bunches of fictional "raging barbarian" characters in fantasy that I admire). I can see how some other males may feel contrary to this, but I'm just putting out my own thoughts. In terms of my test scores I am not conflicted at all about being T or F, but actually it's my own thinking that makes me think that perhaps it is Fi that idealizes Ti thus driving me to use that consistently - or maybe not.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Not all types are going to have problems with the T/F. The other dichotomies are just as confusing to others. This in my opinion may result from environmental influences when young. An introverted type who was made to socialize may ultimately result in straight ambiversion, intuitives who were shunned for their imaginations and applauded for their practicality may struggle with S/N and so on.