13. You may not vote on this poll
  • ESFJ

10 76.92%
  • ENFJ

3 23.08%
123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default ESFJ or ENFJ: There can be only one. . .

So, I think it's time to A) discuss this, since it's been hanging over me the entire time I've posted here; and B) take a poll. I took my first physical MBTI test in my Organizational Behavior class (MBA study), and I got ENFJ. Now, I have gotten before, but it was a pretty pronounced N this time around (below my E, but even with my J, which most of you know is pretty clear-cut). What do you guys think and why?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    So, I think it's time to A) discuss this, since it's been hanging over me the entire time I've posted here; and B) take a poll. I took my first physical MBTI test in my Organizational Behavior class (MBA study), and I got ENFJ. Now, I have gotten before, but it was a pretty pronounced N this time around (below my E, but even with my J, which most of you know is pretty clear-cut). What do you guys think and why?
    Do I understand correctly that all your evidence says you are N? Or did you mean to say S in one of the typings referred to above?

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I say ESFJ but i dont really have good, defendable reason(s) why other than your profound interest and keenness of history (usually sign of Si)

speaking of which, what happened with that? Hollywood sucking your soul out from under you perhaps?! I found many of your posts more informative than most of the posts of NTs around here. it was delightful and refreshing to know NTs don't have the monopoly on input and analysis.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I've long seen your name on posts with the type, but for some reason never quite got ESFJ vibes, and now, seeing the picture in your avatar, if that is you, and you're just being yourself there, it doesn't strike me as ESFJ either.
    I happen to be married to one, and while I'm not sure what an ESFJ male would be like (or if I know of any), you always did seem more like something else; particularly a type that might be a bit more drawn to type theory.

I tend to start with temperament/Interaction Style combo. So by changing to N, not only does that make you more abstract focused (and hence, drawn to theory), but you also go from a "Get Things Going" style (Sanguine) to an In Charge (Choleric). That does seem like it would make sense. And it certainly fits the face (though I know, anyone can make any face for a picture).

The other part of this would be NF instead of SJ. I don't particularly see either, but then NF would seem to make more sense than SJ.

The differences in the temperament factors:
    ESFJ: informative, concrete structure focused (like institutions, rules, etc)
    ENFJ: directive, abstract motive focused (likes understanding people, including self)

Again, the picture clearly says directive, and IIRC, so does the writing style. (Reminder: "directive" is not just about literal giving of orders).

The other main thing to look at is of course, the functional difference: Si vs Ni as auxiliary.

Is your primary perceptive perspective that of internal concreteness like memory/history, or is it internal abstraction like patterns (including archetypal stuff like type models of people and such)?
    (I see someone noticed "history", but I just hadn't paid attention to that in your posts).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

I thought this quote from another group was interesting, as well as amusing:

ESFJs are more concerned with tradition, politeness, and emotional currency. ESFJs have trouble thinking outside the box. ESFJs are more prone to being religious. ESFJs are traditionalists. ESFJs can be very pragmatic and unwilling to change, and even hostile to changing the rules or established expectations. "I want to help you. Let me see if I can find something in the rules to let me help you."

ENFJs are more concerned with the future, possibilities, and how best to make someone happy. ENFJs have trouble thinking inside the box. ENFJs are more prone to being spiritual. ENFJs are visionaries. ENFJs can be very unconventional and idealistic, and even hostile to people being unwilling to change the rules to make things right. "Who cares how you're supposed to do it, this guy needs help."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

From my impression of your posts, you display this memory for detail and information that indicates Si to me. It's rather enviable how SJs seem to store all that info their head & recall it so easily. An example of this is when you've discussed pop culture (music, movies, TV, etc).

I also just find ENFJs generally more vague and ESFJs more specific, and you seem more specific. I realize that is vague also....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Afkan View Post
    Do I understand correctly that all your evidence says you are N? Or did you mean to say S in one of the typings referred to above?
    I have tested as ESFJ most often, ENFJ less so. I've had one person on here say I was an ENTJ. My N and S are usually close, either 50-50 or <60 one way or the other. At the meetup in May, JustHer said, "Dude, you are SO your type" meaning ESFJ.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I say ESFJ but i dont really have good, defendable reason(s) why other than your profound interest and keenness of history (usually sign of Si)

speaking of which, what happened with that? Hollywood sucking your soul out from under you perhaps?! I found many of your posts more informative than most of the posts of NTs around here. it was delightful and refreshing to know NTs don't have the monopoly on input and analysis.

Grad school. I rarely have a free hour anymore. I am just tired and pissy and often lonely.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    I've long seen your name on posts with the type, but for some reason never quite got ESFJ vibes, and now, seeing the picture in your avatar, if that is you, and you're just being yourself there, it doesn't strike me as ESFJ either.
    That is my beautiful visage, yes.

I happen to be married to one, and while I'm not sure what an ESFJ male would be like (or if I know of any), you always did seem more like something else; particularly a type that might be a bit more drawn to type theory.
    I am fascinated by people, personalities, relationships, etc. I like learning about the types, but I am not really too hung on the the type THEORY. For me, the types = personalities = parts of individuals. I hear the male ESFJ is the "used car salesman" personality cliche. I have a bit of that, but I have a deeper dimension.

I tend to start with temperament/Interaction Style combo. So by changing to N, not only does that make you more abstract focused (and hence, drawn to theory), but you also go from a "Get Things Going" style (Sanguine) to an In Charge (Choleric). That does seem like it would make sense. And it certainly fits the face (though I know, anyone can make any face for a picture).
    My face is N? That is a new one. I wouldn't be surprised, though. . .

The other part of this would be NF instead of SJ. I don't particularly see either, but then NF would seem to make more sense than SJ.
    I'm sure as hell not NT. And I'm a pretty strong J, so SP is out, too.

The differences in the temperament factors:
    ESFJ: informative, concrete structure focused (like institutions, rules, etc)
    ENFJ: directive, abstract motive focused (likes understanding people, including self)
    I like institutions, and I am not totally against rules. They need to be fair and implemented for good reasons, though. Not into rules or regulations for their own sake or "to keep people in line." It's more of a right or wrong thing for me. I can be very emotional when it comes to people/issues I care deeply about. Very black-and-white when it comes to ethics and rights and justice and how to treat people.

[QUOTE]Again, the picture clearly says directive, and IIRC, so does the writing style. (Reminder: "directive" is not just about literal giving of orders).

My shirtless torso and body are "directive?" I am using that one in the bar.

The other main thing to look at is of course, the functional difference: Si vs Ni as auxiliary.

Is your primary perceptive perspective that of internal concreteness like memory/history, or is it internal abstraction like patterns (including archetypal stuff like type models of people and such)?
    (I see someone noticed "history", but I just hadn't paid attention to that in your posts).
    I am a big history buff. I love history, geography, reading (nonfiction, fiction, The Economist, biographies, music mags, most things). I am very intellectually curious and I make crazy leaps of thought and conversation. Absurd (absurdist?) sense of humor often. I like wordplay and verbal banter, but I am often disarmingly direct and intense in my serious moments.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    From my impression of your posts, you display this memory for detail and information that indicates Si to me. It's rather enviable how SJs seem to store all that info their head & recall it so easily. An example of this is when you've discussed pop culture (music, movies, TV, etc).

I also just find ENFJs generally more vague and ESFJs more specific, and you seem more specific. I realize that is vague also....
    I am either a with-it, direct NF or a highly intelligent, developed SJ. What is the narcissistic type again?