User Tag List

First 891011 Last

Thread: ESTP?

MBTI
    xNTP

Perhaps I chose ESFP because I knew it would be conducive to interesting discussions?

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Perhaps I chose ESFP because I knew it would be conducive to interesting discussions?
    Choosing to be indecisive becomes manipulative after awhile.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Choosing to be indecisive becomes manipulative after awhile.
    Indeed. And, what temperament is known for manipulative behaviour?

MBTI
    OMNi

Indeed. And, what temperament is known for manipulative behaviour?
    Any type can be manipulative. It's not so much a personality defect, as a defect of character.

You seem to know so much about yourself but nothing about your overall preferences
    I don't think that is unusual. Often our characteristics can't be neatly aligned with the preferences.

Keep trying Dave - I'm too new and can't even figure myself out to be any help to you. Another poster recently advised me to think about it and read up on it but wait a few months to decide. Maybe that's something you should consider? (of course I don't take my own advice!)

MBTI
    xNTP

Any type can be manipulative. It's not so much a personality defect, as a defect of character.
    I am far from manipulative. Allow me to present my case.

When I joined this forum and suggested that I might be an INTJ or an INFJ my notion was very quickly eviscerated by many of its members. So I decided to exhibit what I thought were the complete opposite of my true traits which were: insecurity, irrational, careless, unnecessarily ingratiating, etc and see what conclusion would be made. When the conclusion that I was an ESFP was made I decided to play the role and see if it fit me. Perhaps the members of this forum were correct in their assement of my character?

Thankfully they weren't. So here I remain an INFJ.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    I don't think that is unusual. Often our characteristics can't be neatly aligned with the preferences.

Keep trying Dave - I'm too new and can't even figure myself out to be any help to you. Another poster recently advised me to think about it and read up on it but wait a few months to decide. Maybe that's something you should consider? (of course I don't take my own advice!)
    Thank you for those kind words.

MBTI
    OMNi

I am far from manipulative. Allow me to present my case.

When I joined this forum and suggested that I might be an INTJ or an INFJ my notion was very quickly eviscerated by many of its members. So I decided to exhibit what I thought were the complete opposite of my true traits which were: insecurity, irrational, careless, unnecessarily ingratiating, etc and see what conclusion would be made. When the conclusion that I was an ESFP was made I decided to play the role and see if it fit me. Perhaps the members of this forum were correct in their assement of my character?

Thankfully they weren't. So here I remain an INFJ.
    Pretending to be something else in order to influence others and promote your own agenda is the definition of being manipulative.

MBTI
    xNTP

Pretending to be something else in order to influence others and promote your own agenda is the definition of being manipulative.
    Indeed so. However, I wasn't promoting an agenda in the nefarious sense, I was protecting and re-affirming my sense of self.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Dave, if you participated more in other threads, it could give a better grasp. Right now we're mainly shooting in the dark actually.

Re manipulation, there's a certain sense that you're seeking attention, - Kiddo reads this as manipulation. I read this as an underlying anxiety to be liked. To escape and find validation, in other words.

If you'd take my honesty, if you'd relax a bit more, it'd allow your real character to come out. One thing the members here do not like is being manipulated, but they're generally more forgiving of folks wanting to work out internal issues if you'd face up to them.

Does that make sense?