• INTP

0 0%
123 Last

Thread: What am I?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default What am I?

I originally tested as INFP (this was 16, 17 years ago- I was 14). In college, I continued to test INFP.

I lost touch with MBTI for several years, and rediscovered it after having my two children, during a time when I wanted to reconnect with my husband. We bought and read Please Understand Me II and used it as a launching pad for discussions about ourselves, each other, and our relationship. At that time, I tested ISFJ.

After some time self-identifying as an ISFJ, I began to wonder whether it really fit me. I then began to self-identify as an INFJ.

Now, I'm pretty sure I'm not a J. Could I have been right all along, and I'm actually an INFP? Did I need the motivation of motherhood to find my true ISFJ self? Am I just a scatterbrained INFJ? Or, is it all wrong and I'm actually an ISFP or an INTP?

A note: this is all very light-hearted and slightly tongue-in-cheek, as I am no longer convinced that MBTI is useful as anything but a vocabulary and a system for describing (not prescribing) human behavior. There is too much ambivalence, subjectivity, and reliance on navel-gazing involved for me to think it's scientific, but that doesn't mean we can't use it to describe ourselves and each other.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I originally tested as INFP (this was 16, 17 years ago- I was 14). In college, I continued to test INFP.

I lost touch with MBTI for several years, and rediscovered it after having my two children, during a time when I wanted to reconnect with my husband. We bought and read Please Understand Me II and used it as a launching pad for discussions about ourselves, each other, and our relationship. At that time, I tested ISFJ.

After some time self-identifying as an ISFJ, I began to wonder whether it really fit me. I then began to self-identify as an INFJ.

Now, I'm pretty sure I'm not a J. Could I have been right all along, and I'm actually an INFP? Did I need the motivation of motherhood to find my true ISFJ self? Am I just a scatterbrained INFJ? Or, is it all wrong and I'm actually an ISFP or an INTP?

A note: this is all very light-hearted and slightly tongue-in-cheek, as I am no longer convinced that MBTI is useful as anything but a vocabulary and a system for describing (not prescribing) human behavior. There is too much ambivalence, subjectivity, and reliance on navel-gazing involved for me to think it's scientific, but that doesn't mean we can't use it to describe ourselves and each other.
    My guess is having children encouraged the growth of the S and J preferences. Also, IMO, the desire to connect is very NF.

Good thing you added that note! Some people take this stuff way too seriously. I find it fascinating but at the end of the day we are more than just four letter acronyms.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post

Here's a thought. If you didn't need to maintain a structured lifestyle (J preference) would you do so anyway? It's my understanding that those with an innate J preference would.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have no real idea overall, as far as 4-letter type.

You do seem to promote closure more than the self-professed P's, though. You're very casual about it, compared to most J's, but you still naturally make decisions. I don't think it is all learned; even P's who are forced (through parenthood or whatever) to practice closure still fret a little about their decision, seem hesitant, tend to flux more about... but you are perfectly content to make decisions.

That is why I perceive you as a relaxed J, sure of herself and easily able to change her decision (as long as a direction is chosen) than as a P. You do not really seem to "get stuck on your decision" like some stereotypical J's, you simply like to have a direction chosen and change if you need to. This level of self-certainty just seems J to me.

(I watch this happen in the modbox when decisions have to be made, watching how the J's vs the P's act. The P's don't act. We clarify the situation and explore it, but have to force ourselves to commit to a course of action.)

you definitely do not torture yourself / agonize the way the typical INFP does.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I know an INFJ in RL who reminds me very much of what I know of you, in some ways, (very un-J-like in some ways) which leads me to think INFJ. I don't know any ISFJs for comparison.

You certainly don't seem like an INFP. FWIW, which is not much, since I know I barely even know you on the forum, let alone what you're really like in life...

MBTI
    xNTP

Yeah, I not sure about a J or F prefence but IMO, she's very NF. The desire to re-connect seems NF, maybe ...

I think that you are an INFJ. Being the least common, and among the most unusual of all MBTI types, INFJs are frequently misunderstood. The Ni-Fe combo allows for the INFJ to easily see the perspective of other people. Thus, it isn't uncommon for an INFJ to relate to several other closely related types. Also INxJs are usually the least J of all J types, so it isn't uncommon for INFJs to be confused as to whether they are a J or P. INTP sounds quite improbable. If it helps, I have noticed several INFJs who seem to be rather strong in their tertiary Ti, thus occasionally giving off an IxTp appearance.

My final verdict on you type is INFJ with a relatively borderline situation on the S/N dichotomy.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

If she's an INFJ, then I'm probably not.

I believe that I think differently from her in many ways. She seems more of an INFP to me. ISFJ isn't something I would believe because she doesn't seem like an SJ, but she almost totally lacks that Ni vibe. INFP fits her best, to me. She definitely doesn't seem like a T.

MBTI
    ENTP

I reckon IxxJ

I think you're too balanced on both the F/T and S/N front to call either way. But definitely I and definitely J.

Either that, or ISFJ with only a very slight S and F and moderate J preferences, so your dominant Si is kinda, well, not dominant!

athenian, I've said before you never come across as INFJ to me, I just can't see it, even after reading that thread about your type, I still think you ooze ISFJ-ness.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Why J, sub?

(If you could see my house you might reconsider! )
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii