First 1234 Last

Thread: ENFJ vs ESFJ

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post

I could sense the bias but I was too lazy to come up with my own descriptions or search for other ones...so meh.
    Sorry, I didn't mean that as an attack on you at all if it came across that way. I meant more that I clearly misinterpreted the purpose of the list.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

ESFJ's will primarily derive their values from treasured experiences in the past, and want to adhere to these instead of revising them based experiences and ideas that they've encountered in adulthood.

Additionally the Ni of the ENFJ will manifest itself in different ways such as making elaborate plans over things which might seem trivial to most other people. There are other differences between ENFJ and ESFJ of course, but they tend to be more subtle.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

ENFJ: diplomatic, chameleonlike person
    ESFJ: totally sincere, sometimes even blunt
    At least that's the biggest difference between my ENFJ and ESFJ pals.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

From personal experience.

On a mission :-
    ESFJ = Bullet. From A2B through anything as necessary.
    ENFJ = Whirlwind. Every last frickin thing seems to have moved afterwards. The kings of the hasty tidy up
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    From personal experience.

On a mission :-
    ESFJ = Bullet. From A2B through anything as necessary.
    ENFH = Whirlwind. Every last frickin thing seems to have moved afterwards. The kings of the hasty tidy up
    ENFH? What's that H for?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Shimpei View Post
    ENFH? What's that H for?
    If you'd grown up with one you'd know

[fixed]
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

When I look at it this seems to be the main difference: primary focus. I am damn near obsessed with people's goals, motivations, intentions and anything related to their psyche (if they interest me). ESFJs can look like ENFJs to a certain degree. If you don't pay attention I think they could be confused. I've spoken with ESFJs about all of these things. They tend to be great listeners and have some interest for awhile. The general response is "you think too much" or my favorite that makes me giggle "that's deep stuff". The fact is that I'm not trying to be 'deep' when I am with them. I think I'm actually just holding out hope that I can find someone with an avid interest to all that's hidden in the way people work to share all that's swimming around in my head!

Here is another difference in the ESFJ and ENFJ that you should be able to spot one from the other easily. I've been accused (solely by the ESFJs more then a few times) that I am "stuck-up". They are much more open to talk to strangers and tell them things that I gasp at the thought of saying. When I first meet someone I am very reserved. It's not that I think I am better or anything but over time I have learned to be much more careful who I talk to. I am watching them very closely, reading their body language and listening for what information they volunteer. "You didn't even really talk to so & so when they came to start talking to you.... what's wrong they were friendly!" <<<ESFJ SIL. This started quite a little spat between her and I. I don't care if someone is friendly it doesn't mean I trust them!!! I'm not 'required' to speak due to some Fe law. In short Fe in fact has completely different undertones, and the way things should work between the two types views.

Another good way to tell an ESFJ from an ENFJ is that ESFJs need to be needed as all guardians are. It's obvious in just about everything they do to me anyway. They will often have a list in their mind of what they've done for a person. I don't think it's in terms of debit or credit...it's just that they show caring and love through doing things for people. They spend quite a bit of time on the phone too .

Lastly, the ENFJ & ESFJ both tend to be advice givers or at least have a view on a subject which if asked neither seem reluctant to share. However you can tell from the advice given which one is. I had the experience of working with ESFJs in every single job I've had. It's funny because depending on the "issue" people would go to us for different things!! I was deeply fascinated by this and by the types that would ask what . Anyway ENFJ views are usually going to be centered not on the concrete steps needed to fix whatever is wrong. The ENFJ is going to care more about what mentally needs to take place.

This is all my opinion. I am not speaking for all ENFJs. If I need to clarify anything I will be happy too. I like ESFJs for the record!!
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Links for comparison...

ENFJ Profile

ESFJ Profile

In reviewing the two profiles a few things stand out...

Both are driven to take care of others and can be easily hurt. Both can neglect their own needs in favor of others and can take on too much responsibility.
    The ESFJ is guards the outer person from temporal harm, filling temporal needs, acknowledging birthdays and anniversaries.
    The ENFJ guards the inner person, inspiring people to grow into their potential.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    yupp

Default ENFJ vs ESFJ

one of my friends who had pegged as an ESFJ also seems very ENFJ so how do they look similar and how do they look different, any ExFJ input would be lovely btw. I'll post a description of her later. or just start asking questions and I'll answer them best I can.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Interesting, my dear Purple Chickens.

I have two ESFJ friends. They're only superficially like me.

One of them once told me (while giving me a big squeeze) that I was a stormy girl, but she loved me for it. lol

Observations:

ESFJs - honestly and truly optimistic (think Charlotte from "Sex and the City"); child-like openness (not idiocy, just not easily jaded); resistant to mean people and deeply hurt by exclusion; very group oriented; true "host/hostess" types that draw energy from that sort of mixing; very deeply held belief in the goodness of others; overly perky/enthusiastic at times; romantics with a capital R; sustainer of the time-honored tradition

ESFJs, in a good vein, are some of the most accepting people I've ever met and are very concerned with fair play.

ENFJs - moodier; morbid humor; uninterested in keeping a party going (more wanting to socialize than organize); very interested in abstract thought; not particularly concerned with "wine and roses" displays from mates; disconnected from the physical environment in general (esp in comparison to their S counterpart); not hyper; intractable; eruptive or ferocious, even when not under pressure; empathically jacked into just about everyone around them

I've had ESFJs comment in wonder that ENFJs are way more bloody-minded and have a weird removal or separateness from their environment.

And I don't propose to speak for all ENFJs here. It's just easier to type it this way. It's just my experience.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious