User Tag List

123 Last

Default This is just beginning to get on my nerves...

I still can't decide whether I am an INTP or INTJ. Can one be a right-brained INTJ? Can one be an INTJ, yet prefer to not apply their studies? Can one be an INTP yet be an extreme perfectionist? Can one be an INTP yet have a more narrow field of interest?

Are INTJs absent-minded?
    Are INTPs good at focusing on small details?

The list goes on.

What am I?

How may I know for certain?

It seems that I am either a messed-up INTJ (one who happens to be very messy and impractical), or a messed-up INTP (one who happens to be rather obsessively perfectionist and goal-oriented).
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    xNTP

I feel your pain. This morning I started a thread to help me figure out if I am an INTJ or an INFJ. My logic has pinted to a T preference but many of the forum members have concluded that I am probably an F.

On to your conundrum.

Consider this: would you rather solve a difficult problem or devise a strategy to achieve a particular goal? As I understand it INTPs primarily desire understanding whereas INTJs want to accomplish certain goals. IMHO, neither is better as both work together.

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Consider this: would you rather solve a difficult problem or devise a strategy to achieve a particular goal? As I understand it INTPs primarily desire understanding whereas INTJs want to accomplish certain goals. IMHO, neither is better as both work together.
    I would rather solve a difficult problem. However, I pursue pure understanding and specific goals simultaneously. As you said, both are complementary.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Ah! The great Merk "The W is Implied" w... you've come back to us.

I've read your questions. I know scatterbrained unmotivated INTJs. I know hideously perfectionistic INTPs.

I myself am an ENFJ who falls so close to INFJ as to cause many issues/disturbances with the order of my MBTI functions.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    I would rather solve a difficult problem. However, I pursue pure understanding and specific goals simultaneously. As you said, both are complementary.
    Being an INTP doesn't preclude you from having goals. I don't even focus on knowledge that I can't apply somehow.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Being an INTP doesn't preclude you from having goals. I don't even focus on knowledge that I can't apply somehow.
    True, but I really dislike how INTPs are occasionally portrayed as having a vast variety of unusual talents and a head full of completely unrelated tidbits of random information, while not having any particular field of focus.

Yes, I do have a rather wide variety of unusual talents, and I do have a lot of random factual information retained in my mind, yet my main field of interest is quite, quite focused.

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Yeah, I am INFP and I even at times have resorted to having some goals.

I have a field of focus. I focus in on the 1700s and early 1800s as a field of interest for the most part. But within that I am full of all sorts of "never going to actually NEED this" types of info that fascinate me for hours on end.

MBTI
    xNTP

Allow me to try again.

INTJs, such as Hannibal (the military leader not lecter), are more overtly strategic in nature whereas INTPs, such as Darwin and Einstein, are more concerned with knowledge for its sake.

Again neither type is better. It's all situational.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Yeah, I am INFP and I even at times have resorted to having some goals.
    Wow. And to think I imagined all INFPs to be wrist-cutting emos who do nothing of any use.

I jest, of course.

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    True, but I really dislike how INTPs are occasionally portrayed as having a vast variety of unusual talents and a head full of completely unrelated tidbits of random information, while not having any particular field of focus.
    This better describes my INTJ than my INTP.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious