• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ or INTJ

redacted

It's not that I don't want to be an NF. The reason for my search is if I better understand myself then I could probably ascertain what will bring me fulfillment. Lately I've been feeling hollow inside.

hehe SOOOOO NF.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
You communist! :D

Obviously, both of those systems in their ideal forms would be very ineffective, just as pure capitalism and pure communism prove to be disastrous. Posing the same question to most INXP types, they would find it difficult to choose between the most "ideal" of the two, as they would quickly recognize that both are imperfect. Some may have even proposed a new system such as, "System C, which gets moderate results and most people get to enjoy the benefits," as the most realistic and ideal situation. Seeing as how you stayed within the assigned parameters and had little difficulty in accepting an imperfect system as more ideal than another imperfect system, I would say that is strong evidence of being an INXJ. You get my vote for being an INFJ. :yes:

Thank you. At this point I am almost convinced that I am an INFJ with a high Ti. Nevertheless I am more than willing to read any suggestions someone might post.

As for my communist tendencies, no comment:)

redacted

Thank you. At this point I am almost convinced that I am an INFJ with a high Ti. Nevertheless I am more than willing to read any suggestions someone might post.

As for my communist tendencies, no comment:)

it'd be very helpful to us if you post your cognitiveprocesses scores.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
hehe SOOOOO NF.

I still can't reconcile the fact that I love things of a technical nature and can easily be objective. Also, doing so doesn't tax my energy as I have read it should.

Here's an interesting thought. My brother's friend is an aspiring poet. My hunch would be that an NF would encourage and appreciate this person. However, I think he is a prententious, narrow minded fool.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I still can't reconcile the fact that I love things of a technical nature and can easily be objective. Also, doing so doesn't tax my energy as I have read it should.

Here's an interesting thought. My brother's friend is an aspiring poet. My hunch would be that an NF would encourage and appreciate this person. However, I think he is a prententious, narrow minded fool.

Liking someone just because of their profession is dumb, so don't feel bad. On top of that, thinking that an F can't be logical is like thinking that a T can't have any emotion. I'm an INTJ and prefer social sciences far and away over technical sciences.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi

You do realize the INFJ is called the "analytical sentimentalist" don't you? It's the most logical of the NF types. It's also the most paranoid and critical. And I don't think objectivity is too type specific. Where have you read that? :huh:

redacted

INFJs can come off as quite NTish, especially with a well developed Ti. i'm quite "objective" i think, and i always take an NT standpoint in debates, etc. (my xNFP friends take the more stereotypical NF approach to debate). Ni and Ti can work together very well actually, creating an NTish image.

and i think many people are narrow-minded and pretentious. i wouldn't say it to their face, though. i'm quite harsh about people in my head. it's just that Fe stops me from being too outspoken about my negative judgments.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

One of my best friends is a female INFJ who is a successful electrical engineer, and through her I met another female electrical engineer who is a definite ENFJ. Then a male friend of mine is an ENFP electrical engineer. So NF's can definitely do the technical stuff.

Oh..and I started out in engineering in college. :) But really disliked it so got out of it in my second year! I have also never really liked poetry.;)

For what it's worth....I haven't seen enough of your posting to tell whether you're INFJ or INTJ. BUT..you don't write very long posts..which is a rather un-INFJ thing to do!!:D (well, I suppose now I'm just being superficial!!)

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
You do realize the INFJ is called the "analytical sentimentalist" don't you? It's the most logical of the NF types. It's also the most paranoid and critical. And I don't think objectivity is too type specific. Where have you read that? :huh:

I don't remeber where I read that. However, isn't objectivity tied to the Thinking preference?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
One of my best friends is a female INFJ who is a successful electrical engineer, and through her I met another female electrical engineer who is a definite ENFJ. Then a male friend of mine is an ENFP electrical engineer.

Oh..and I started out in engineering in college. :) But really disliked it so got out of it in my second year! I have also never really liked poetry.;)

You stumbled right into one source of my confusion. My undergraduate degree is in Computer Science and now I am working on a Masters in Information Security. Honestly I love comp. sci. the only other thing I would rather be than a network engineer is possibly a [traditional] architect. It must be a lot of fun to create and implement something born from one's imagination.

Last edited:

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I don't remeber where I read that. However, isn't objectivity tied to the Thinking preference?

I would say that objectivity would be more tied to intuition if it was attached to anything.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You stumbled right into one source of my confusion. My undergraduate degree is in Computer Science and now I am working on a Masters in Information Security. Honestly I love comp. sci. the only other thing I would rather be than a network engineer is possibly a [traditional] architect. It must be a lot of fun to create and implement something born from one's imagination.

It might be less common for NF's to love really techy subjects, but it's definitely not unheard of. As for me personally, my job is IT-related, and I think I'm skilled at the work (at least based on feedback I get!). So I know I have a very analytical side to my personality, and in school I excelled at all of that stuff and was right up there with all of the NT's in terms of academics.
I don't particularly *enjoy* or find much meaning in a lot of the techie stuff, but I know of at least one or two other INFJ's on this board that are really into the computer stuff.

For what it's worth, in my early 20's I would test as INTJ, and back then thought I was one. But it has become *quite* apparent to me, especially after interacting on this board, that I'm far from an INTJ!! hahaha.:) I think I fall pretty solidly in the NF camp, just based on a whole lot of other things.

I'd suggest trying to separate your skill and interest in more technical subjects from your personality type. Just because you're good at the technical pursuits doesn't mean you are an NT. Peel that piece of it away and look more towards your cognitive behaviors, your motivations, how you interact with others, and really think about whether Fe shines through in your day to day life more than Te. [for me, Te is my absolute weakest function.]. I guess that would be my suggestion.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
*reads the thread*

*hops about*

*lightbulb* :D

I know, how about this, wouldn't you just please be an INFJ? :yes:

It'd make me happy.

*pokes pebble around*

Objectivity may seem tied to thinking, but I'd rather think it is tied to either a strong Fi or Ti.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
It might be less common for NF's to love really techy subjects, but it's definitely not unheard of. As for me personally, my job is IT-related, and I think I'm skilled at the work (at least based on feedback I get!). So I know I have a very analytical side to my personality, and in school I excelled at all of that stuff and was right up there with all of the NT's in terms of academics.
I don't particularly *enjoy* or find much meaning in a lot of the techie stuff, but I know of at least one or two other INFJ's on this board that are really into the computer stuff.

For what it's worth, in my early 20's I would test as INTJ, and back then thought I was one. But it has become *quite* apparent to me, especially after interacting on this board, that I'm far from an INTJ!! hahaha.:) I think I fall pretty solidly in the NF camp, just based on a whole lot of other things.

I'd suggest trying to separate your skill and interest in more technical subjects from your personality type. Just because you're good at the technical pursuits doesn't mean you are an NT. Peel that piece of it away and look more towards your cognitive behaviors, your motivations, how you interact with others, and really think about whether Fe shines through in your day to day life more than Te. [for me, Te is my absolute weakest function.]. I guess that would be my suggestion.

I suppose my inspiration for pursuing comp. sci. was very NF. Unlike many of my friends, who spent their childhoods breaking/fixing/mutilating electronics I became interested in computer science after reading an article about a network engineer that worked for a charity which provided Internet access to developing countries. To this day I hope I get the oppurtunity to use technology to better the lives of other people.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
As Gabe suggested I took the test and was rated highest for the Catalyst temperament and (suprise, suprise) rated second for Theorist.

For the three categories (Talent, Learning and Self-leadership) my biggest strengths were: Strategic skill-set, Relationship centered and authenticity oriented.

OK. You are an _NFP. I suspect INFP. For further reference, there's the site INFJ or INFP? a closer look.
I say INFP because your Ne givaway has a certian "teach-ness" about it that sounds like a good parent (second function).
I know you say (and even emphasize) that you can logically construct/deconstruct things. By the way, deconstruct sounds more like Te. In fact, I'm not suprised anymore that you got a score for introverted thinking. This test is getting to be well known to give you the result of the process most different from what you do (except that they're both introverted judgement) (Linda Berens wrote an article about differentiating between extraverted sensing and extraverted intuition, I know that MANY improvisers mis-type as extraverted intuition types with that test. With that in mind, the test making this type of mistake again wouldn't suprise me at all)

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
*reads the thread*

*hops about*

*lightbulb* :D

I know, how about this, wouldn't you just please be an INFJ? :yes:

It'd make me happy.

*pokes pebble around*

Admit it! You just want another INFJ to add to your list. :yes:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say that objectivity would be more tied to intuition if it was attached to anything.

Errr, I definitely have to disagree.
Thinking is the greatest source of objectivity.
N and S are split. There are actually ways that S is more objective than N, mainly in that S does not interpret.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Originally Posted by Kiddo
"You communist!

Obviously, both of those systems in their ideal forms would be very ineffective, just as pure capitalism and pure communism prove to be disastrous. Posing the same question to most INXP types, they would find it difficult to choose between the most "ideal" of the two, as they would quickly recognize that both are imperfect. Some may have even proposed a new system such as, "System C, which gets moderate results and most people get to enjoy the benefits," as the most realistic and ideal situation. Seeing as how you stayed within the assigned parameters and had little difficulty in accepting an imperfect system as more ideal than another imperfect system, I would say that is strong evidence of being an INXJ. You get my vote for being an INFJ."

Actually, 'within the assigned parameters' is extraverted thinking by definition.
I am not going to let another newbie just self-identify as "INFJ" just because he doesn't know any better.
Also, it doesn't say in anything reliable that the INFJ is THE (one and only) 'sentimental anylist' or something. Both NFJ's and NFP's have ways that they (possibly equally) get mistaken for thinking types. NFJ's have a directing communication style that can make them look like they prefer thinking. Since NFP's extravert thier thinking, they may appear to have a thinking preference, and and NFP can make thier Fi completely invisible.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
it'd be very helpful to us if you post your cognitiveprocesses scores.

That way I can facebook message Dario Nardi and tell him that the cognitive process test is useless, seeing as it keeps really screwing up.