User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 147

Thread: INFJ or INTJ

  1. #71
    Senior Member JustDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    One of my best friends is a female INFJ who is a successful electrical engineer, and through her I met another female electrical engineer who is a definite ENFJ. Then a male friend of mine is an ENFP electrical engineer.

    Oh..and I started out in engineering in college. :-) But really disliked it so got out of it in my second year! I have also never really liked poetry.
    You stumbled right into one source of my confusion. My undergraduate degree is in Computer Science and now I am working on a Masters in Information Security. Honestly I love comp. sci. the only other thing I would rather be than a network engineer is possibly a [traditional] architect. It must be a lot of fun to create and implement something born from one's imagination.
    Last edited by JustDave; 01-20-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Clarification

  2. #72
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    I don't remeber where I read that. However, isn't objectivity tied to the Thinking preference?
    I would say that objectivity would be more tied to intuition if it was attached to anything.

  3. #73
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    You stumbled right into one source of my confusion. My undergraduate degree is in Computer Science and now I am working on a Masters in Information Security. Honestly I love comp. sci. the only other thing I would rather be than a network engineer is possibly a [traditional] architect. It must be a lot of fun to create and implement something born from one's imagination.
    It might be less common for NF's to love really techy subjects, but it's definitely not unheard of. As for me personally, my job is IT-related, and I think I'm skilled at the work (at least based on feedback I get!). So I know I have a very analytical side to my personality, and in school I excelled at all of that stuff and was right up there with all of the NT's in terms of academics.
    I don't particularly *enjoy* or find much meaning in a lot of the techie stuff, but I know of at least one or two other INFJ's on this board that are really into the computer stuff.

    For what it's worth, in my early 20's I would test as INTJ, and back then thought I was one. But it has become *quite* apparent to me, especially after interacting on this board, that I'm far from an INTJ!! hahaha. I think I fall pretty solidly in the NF camp, just based on a whole lot of other things.

    I'd suggest trying to separate your skill and interest in more technical subjects from your personality type. Just because you're good at the technical pursuits doesn't mean you are an NT. Peel that piece of it away and look more towards your cognitive behaviors, your motivations, how you interact with others, and really think about whether Fe shines through in your day to day life more than Te. [for me, Te is my absolute weakest function.]. I guess that would be my suggestion.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  4. #74
    ~dangerous curves ahead~
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    2,590

    Default

    *reads the thread*

    *hops about*

    *lightbulb*

    I know, how about this, wouldn't you just please be an INFJ?

    It'd make me happy.

    *pokes pebble around*

    Objectivity may seem tied to thinking, but I'd rather think it is tied to either a strong Fi or Ti.

  5. #75
    Senior Member JustDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    It might be less common for NF's to love really techy subjects, but it's definitely not unheard of. As for me personally, my job is IT-related, and I think I'm skilled at the work (at least based on feedback I get!). So I know I have a very analytical side to my personality, and in school I excelled at all of that stuff and was right up there with all of the NT's in terms of academics.
    I don't particularly *enjoy* or find much meaning in a lot of the techie stuff, but I know of at least one or two other INFJ's on this board that are really into the computer stuff.

    For what it's worth, in my early 20's I would test as INTJ, and back then thought I was one. But it has become *quite* apparent to me, especially after interacting on this board, that I'm far from an INTJ!! hahaha. I think I fall pretty solidly in the NF camp, just based on a whole lot of other things.

    I'd suggest trying to separate your skill and interest in more technical subjects from your personality type. Just because you're good at the technical pursuits doesn't mean you are an NT. Peel that piece of it away and look more towards your cognitive behaviors, your motivations, how you interact with others, and really think about whether Fe shines through in your day to day life more than Te. [for me, Te is my absolute weakest function.]. I guess that would be my suggestion.
    I suppose my inspiration for pursuing comp. sci. was very NF. Unlike many of my friends, who spent their childhoods breaking/fixing/mutilating electronics I became interested in computer science after reading an article about a network engineer that worked for a charity which provided Internet access to developing countries. To this day I hope I get the oppurtunity to use technology to better the lives of other people.

  6. #76
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    As Gabe suggested I took the test and was rated highest for the Catalyst temperament and (suprise, suprise) rated second for Theorist.

    For the three categories (Talent, Learning and Self-leadership) my biggest strengths were: Strategic skill-set, Relationship centered and authenticity oriented.
    OK. You are an _NFP. I suspect INFP. For further reference, there's the site INFJ or INFP? a closer look.
    I say INFP because your Ne givaway has a certian "teach-ness" about it that sounds like a good parent (second function).
    I know you say (and even emphasize) that you can logically construct/deconstruct things. By the way, deconstruct sounds more like Te. In fact, I'm not suprised anymore that you got a score for introverted thinking. This test is getting to be well known to give you the result of the process most different from what you do (except that they're both introverted judgement) (Linda Berens wrote an article about differentiating between extraverted sensing and extraverted intuition, I know that MANY improvisers mis-type as extraverted intuition types with that test. With that in mind, the test making this type of mistake again wouldn't suprise me at all)

  7. #77
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    *reads the thread*

    *hops about*

    *lightbulb*

    I know, how about this, wouldn't you just please be an INFJ?

    It'd make me happy.

    *pokes pebble around*
    Admit it! You just want another INFJ to add to your list.

  8. #78
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I would say that objectivity would be more tied to intuition if it was attached to anything.
    Errr, I definitely have to disagree.
    Thinking is the greatest source of objectivity.
    N and S are split. There are actually ways that S is more objective than N, mainly in that S does not interpret.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  9. #79
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiddo
    "You communist!

    Obviously, both of those systems in their ideal forms would be very ineffective, just as pure capitalism and pure communism prove to be disastrous. Posing the same question to most INXP types, they would find it difficult to choose between the most "ideal" of the two, as they would quickly recognize that both are imperfect. Some may have even proposed a new system such as, "System C, which gets moderate results and most people get to enjoy the benefits," as the most realistic and ideal situation. Seeing as how you stayed within the assigned parameters and had little difficulty in accepting an imperfect system as more ideal than another imperfect system, I would say that is strong evidence of being an INXJ. You get my vote for being an INFJ."

    Actually, 'within the assigned parameters' is extraverted thinking by definition.
    I am not going to let another newbie just self-identify as "INFJ" just because he doesn't know any better.
    Also, it doesn't say in anything reliable that the INFJ is THE (one and only) 'sentimental anylist' or something. Both NFJ's and NFP's have ways that they (possibly equally) get mistaken for thinking types. NFJ's have a directing communication style that can make them look like they prefer thinking. Since NFP's extravert thier thinking, they may appear to have a thinking preference, and and NFP can make thier Fi completely invisible.

  10. #80
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    it'd be very helpful to us if you post your cognitiveprocesses scores.
    That way I can facebook message Dario Nardi and tell him that the cognitive process test is useless, seeing as it keeps really screwing up.

Similar Threads

  1. Plato: INFJ or INTJ
    By Blackwater in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM
  2. INFJ? or INTJ? or INTP? or ISTP?
    By mwv6r in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 08:57 PM
  3. INFJ or INTJ? Future major in mind...
    By EmmaK in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 11:06 AM
  4. INFJ or INTJ or something else?
    By Grace in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 06:58 PM
  5. INFJ or INTJ?!?!?!
    By timo in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO