• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP?

What type is Rowingineden?

• INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFJ

• ISFP

• ENFP

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ENFJ

• INTP

• INTJ

• ENTP

• XNXX

• Some other type, which I will explain to you in post format.

• Total voters

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
INFP? (Now w/ poll!)

I don't know, I've been reconsidering my type lately. This test had me at ENFJ, and the "Quick Guide To Double-Checking Your Type" thread had me at ENFP. I'm not even necessarily sure if Feeling is taking the wheel these days; it seems more and more often it's taking a backseat to Thinking. Most people would guess my type as ENTP. Big 5 tests would have me at INTP.

Most of the problems I have with identifying as INFP are really the same. I'm a very active, dynamic person - I never lack motivation, I tend to take a very dominant role in social situations, and I just always do things from a point of strength; if anyone tries to take advantage of me, I can never just lie down and take it. I was depressed for most of my life, but the whole time, I never allowed myself to give up on being better. I never stopped working on improving my state of mind, and I sure as hell didn't expect anyone else to accept it, either.

Basically, I'm not a fluffy bunny. I've got a fuzzy wuzzy side, but I go through life like a ruggedly handsome explorer from some century past, hacking away at the brush. (Well, that was some NF over-romanticizing of myself!)

I'm not particularly Extroverted, by which I mean I most prefer the company of myself, but as time goes by I become more and more confident and comfortable in social situations, and I often take the lead now in a group, especially if no one else is stepping up.

I am very strongly iNtuitive, of this I have little doubt. I had to train myself a lot to do Sensor type functions very well at all

Feeling/Thinking - I've always thought of myself as a Feeler, but I also have Asperger's and I think lately, Thinking seems to be taking a priority.

Judging/Perceiving - I've always had a conflict on this continuum. I am not very neat or organized, never have been. As I've gotten older, I've started to have more Perceiving traits such as wanting to leave some flexibility in my schedule, stressing out more AFTER I turn in work than BEFORE (and therefore procrastinating), wanting more and more experiences and more information so I can maximize the broadness of my perspective on things, and I like starting projects and struggle to ever finish them.

However, it really bothers me when somebody shows up to an event late, tries to change our plans once we've reached an agreement, lacks motivation, etc, and I never display those traits, at all.

Last edited:

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
I'm an infp, and relate to many things you said. I don't think you can look at traits and behaviours as indications of type. Only how you perceive and judge the world.

Have you considered the enneagram?

You sound maybe 3w4 6w7 9w8?

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
I'm an infp, and relate to many things you said. I don't think you can look at traits and behaviours as indications of type. Only how you perceive and judge the world.

Have you considered the enneagram?

You sound maybe 3w4 6w7 9w8?
I put myself at 9w1 (sx) - 7w6 (counterphobic) - 4w5. But I've never had that challenged, really.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
i also relate to your post. fluffy infps DO NOT EXIST. it's throwing us all off. :D

do you relate to Fi?

check ennegram and instinct variants. you sound sx/sp.

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
i also relate to your post. fluffy infps DO NOT EXIST. it's throwing us all off. :D

do you relate to Fi?

check ennegram and instinct variants. you sound sx/sp.
I relate to having a strong moral code. However, I'm not as rigid in my Fi as I once was, and have learned some Fe over time. On some tests, I score almost the same or even more on Fe than on Fi.

Definitely sx. As far as so/sp... well, most of the time I use so to support my sx (because I figure I must socialize in order to be able to get close to someone), but when someone does start to manipulate me, I immediately revert to the strong sp instinct which was dominant when I was younger. Normally though, it almost doesn't factor into my life at all.

KDude

Yeah, no INFPs are fluffy bunnies.

At least, not for those who call them fluffy bunnies. There's a note of condescension and over-confidence in people who say it. As if they have all the answers on independence, self-motivation, and on all of life even. I could probably kick their butts sideways if they went too far with it. Or, they could beat me to a bloody pulp and I'd still laugh in their face. :tongue: Fi types are sensitive, but I guess it's kind of confusing for people who need simple categories on what words like that mean.

Either way, from my own standpoint, you sound more motivated than me, rowingiden. I don't know what type that makes you, but grats ;) I don't care about leading either, unless necessary. Is there any reason you need to take the lead, take dominant roles, care a lot about plan changes, expect more motivation from others, etc..? Is it just necessary for work? Or are you sort of J-like in general?

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
Yeah, no INFPs are fluffy bunnies.

At least, not for those who call them fluffy bunnies. There's a note of condescension and over-confidence in people who say it. As if they have all the answers on independence, self-motivation, and on all of life even. I could probably kick their butts sideways if they went too far with it. Or, they could beat me to a bloody pulp and I'd still laugh in their face. :tongue: Fi types are sensitive, but I guess it's kind of confusing for people who need simple categories on what words like that mean.

Either way, from my own standpoint, you sound more motivated than me, rowingiden. I don't know what type that makes you, but grats ;) I don't care about leading either, unless necessary. Is there any reason you need to take the lead, take dominant roles, care a lot about plan changes, expect more motivation from others, etc..? Is it just at work? Or are you sort of J-like in general?
I'm not really very sensitive... I'm pretty hardened. Ha.

I take the lead because:
(A) I hate inactivity when something needs to be done.
(B) I have no patience for cowardice.
(C) I am really good at recognizing people's interests, strengths, etc., and therefore pretty good in a leadership role.
(D) I tend to have a pretty good idea on how to go about things, what needs to be done. Even if I lack in certain areas, I can usually find a way to make up for it (or the right person to do it for me).

I don't like to see people unmotivated because I like to see people just really accomplishing things and being their best - a lack of motivation doesn't really work for that.

Changing up plans which you've previously agreed on just seems really irresponsible and rude. I see a social engagement as a contract or a promise "We will meet here from X to Y." If you change that, then you're going back on your word, breaking that contract.

Granted, some of that is probably my Aspie traits at play. :blush:

KDude

You sound J to me then.

I was going to say that I don't think that the J - P dichotomy is necessarily about chores and to-do lists (it can be).

It's whether you initiate judgement easier. Fi can exercise judgement, but I notice a lot are like myself and hate sticking their head out like that all the time. Fi types may get disappointed with how things develop, but Se or Ne kind of says "Hmm, I see what they're going through, and.. I could just change plans to this or this or that.." etc.. Se goes with the flow and is more in the present to adapt, and Ne thinks outside the box, unconsciously kind of starts considering random ideas on what else could be done when met with setbacks. If that. Ni or Si are so much more sure of themselves though on how things and people should be, and Fe or Te like making a push to get people and/or organizing their environment to go along with it. They experience almost none of that inner uncomfortable-ness that Fi-doms will get if they have to push people (it takes something really important in line with their values.. not everyday stuff). I honestly think that Fi is the more empathic type and work where people are at, tend to (sometimes wrongly) project their own sense of invasion on others, rather than set people where they want. That's Fe or Te territory. It gets complicated though if a Fi type is an EFP.. who push more often (as "catalysts"/enthusiasts, more like. Not too directive either).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fi types are sensitive, but I guess it's kind of confusing for people who need simple categories on what words like that mean.

True....and this is partly because they equate sensitive with "weak".

I take the lead because:
(A) I hate inactivity when something needs to be done.
(B) I have no patience for cowardice.
(C) I am really good at recognizing people's interests, strengths, etc., and therefore pretty good in a leadership role.
(D) I tend to have a pretty good idea on how to go about things, what needs to be done. Even if I lack in certain areas, I can usually find a way to make up for it (or the right person to do it for me).

I don't like to see people unmotivated because I like to see people just really accomplishing things and being their best - a lack of motivation doesn't really work for that.

Changing up plans which you've previously agreed on just seems really irresponsible and rude. I see a social engagement as a contract or a promise "We will meet here from X to Y." If you change that, then you're going back on your word, breaking that contract.

I can relate to some of this. I don't like inactivity when something needs to be done either. I notice a lot of IxxJs in my life procrastinate worse than I do - but in a different way. I take my sweet time making a decision, but once I make it, then that's it - I want to act NOW. I notice that the IxxJs make decisions easily & quickly, but then they can take their sweet time getting it done. I think it's a conflict of their dominant function being Pi and their extroverted function being Je, whereas I am opposite. In that sense, when a project is deemed finished by me, then I hate revisiting it; but it may take me awhile to deem it finished, because I realize how final it is for me. I can be a "do it right the first time" kind of person because of this. It's strange kind of efficiency.

I'm also pretty good at recognizing people's strengths and I become frustrated with them if they don't use them (Although I get frustrated with myself more than anyone). Often, things don't happen fast enough for me, but I tend to go with the flow on the surface because it's not worth the hassle to complain. Sometimes, I reach a point where I take it into my own hands, because I'm tired of things not happening that I feel need to be accomplished to move forward.

However, I am a lot more flexible with flaky people. It's easy for me to come up with a gazillion ideas as to why they are late or have canceled and then to be forgiving of the minor fault rather than blow it out of proportion.

Anyhow, I'd suggest ENFP for you.....it seems your tert Te may be strong. I find ExFPs can actually come across more "judgmental" than ExFJs because Fe tends to be "smoother" than Te, especially when we're comparing Fe-dom to tert-Te.

I would suggest INFJ for you, but they have that IxxJ trait of making seemingly firm decisions then changing them later. I really think Fi is more decisive for the long-term. The decisions are harder to unroot, and once made, Fi people want to act on them (it may also be that Se & Ne are rather "restless").

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
True....and this is partly because they equate sensitive with "weak".

I can relate to some of this. I don't like inactivity when something needs to be done either. I notice a lot of IxxJs in my life procrastinate worse than I do - but in a different way. I take my sweet time making a decision, but once I make it, then that's it - I want to act NOW. I notice that the IxxJs make decisions easily & quickly, but then they can take their sweet time getting it done. I think it's a conflict of their dominant function being Pi and their extroverted function being Je, whereas I am opposite. In that sense, when a project is deemed finished by me, then I hate revisiting it; but it may take me awhile to deem it finished, because I realize how final it is for me. I can be a "do it right the first time" kind of person because of this. It's strange kind of efficiency.

I'm also pretty good at recognizing people's strengths and I become frustrated with them if they don't use them (Although I get frustrated with myself more than anyone). Often, things don't happen fast enough for me, but I tend to go with the flow on the surface because it's not worth the hassle to complain. Sometimes, I reach a point where I take it into my own hands, because I'm tired of things not happening that I feel need to be accomplished to move forward.

However, I am a lot more flexible with flaky people. It's easy for me to come up with a gazillion ideas as to why they are late or have canceled and then to be forgiving of the minor fault rather than blow it out of proportion.

Anyhow, I'd suggest ENFP for you.....it seems your tert Te may be strong. I find ExFPs can actually come across more "judgmental" than ExFJs because Fe tends to be "smoother" than Te, especially when we're comparing Fe-dom to tert-Te.

I would suggest INFJ for you, but they have that IxxJ trait of making seemingly firm decisions then changing them later. I really think Fi is more decisive for the long-term. The decisions are harder to unroot, and once made, Fi people want to act on them (it may also be that Se & Ne are rather "restless").
Interesting. And thank you both, by the way, KDude and OrangeApplied. I forgot to say that before. Doh. :doh:

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
I don't know that I can say ENFx for myself, because it seems like ENF types tend to try to fit in, which I don't, exactly. Well, no more than I have to in order to function.