Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • ISTP

20 80.00%
  • INTP

5 20.00%
123 Last

Default Stuck in IxTP Limbo

I know I have I, T and P but I’m doubting my S/N again.

I started off with MBTI thinking I was INTP, I read the profile which was eerily accurate and took several online tests which all came up INTP. I think those original tests should carry a lot of weight since I didn't know anything about MBTI. Once I found INTPc and #intp on IRC and spent some time there but I didn’t feel like I was among kindred spirits. So I read about Se and Ne in detail and thought maybe I’m ISTP instead.

I think the main problem is that I don’t do the things that either type likes to do. Most of the INTPs on the board seem to like higher math, programming, they’re in college, they’re way brainier than me though I am brainier than average. My brain gags on math higher than the basic four function calculator type, programming sounds like dull drudgery and I *hate* school. INTPs appear to enjoy beer bonging knowledge, I’d rather sponge up interesting facts here and there. They’re also overwhelmingly Enneagram type 5w4 and some 5w6. I’m 6w5, that’s three notches difference which seems fairly significant.

For ISTPs I hate getting my hands dirty, I’d rather avoid physical activity, I can take something apart and put it back together and have it work but meh. I’m not really into *doing* anything. No, I’m not depressed, I feel perfectly fine. Dicking around on the computer and playing games has pretty much been my sole interest for the past 9 years since I’ve had a PC.

So if the INTPs on the boards are the average and if I am an INTP then I’m a distant outlier. I’m not sure what other ISTPs are like since from what I can tell the other ISTPs on the board are kind of iffy about their types as well. But I’m defiantly not the stereotypical ISTP.

I think I read that S/N is the last function thing to establish itself and I’m almost 22 so that could be part of it. I was home schooled until I was 13 ½, completely alone, no friends. Just me, my library card and a pile of legos. Having to live more in my head may have contributed to a balanced S/N if that is the case.

I'm thoroughly confused so lets all vote on it instead.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think you're an ISTP... you're don't have that "civilized yet wacky" air of most INTP's.

You're probably just a more Ti-Ni focused ISTP. There are examples of every Introverted type that don't really like to do things... even SP's. And from what I can tell, an ES_P can even become depressed enough to not want to go anywhere/do anything. So an "I" might not want to do things in the first place.

heart on fire

Sass, you sound a lot like my ISTP nephew. He is often in his head as well and playing computer games. He likes Civilization. His topics of conversation seem more earthy than abstract. When he's in his head, he is not poundering philosophy and abstract stuff. His dreams touch the earth more often. He is intelligent but he had a very hard time with school type work.

I think you are onto something that you've developed more N because of imposed inactivity in childhood.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

You sound like me when I don't have enough to do and I get bored and apathetic

I don't really know if I'm ISTP or INTJ or something else though, so I'm pretty useless (at least INTP is mostly ruled out)

You don't say enough to tell between intp or istp though. I can't really say.

That’s the thing, I don’t really have the telltale interest of either type that would nail it. I'm probably ISTP but it's the ambiguity that bothers me.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

IMO, Sass, you're ISTP with an assertive N. But I also want to point out that STPs (particularly ISTPs) have their own spooky stand-alone brand of "intuition", even when they aren't primary (or dominant) Ns.

I have a friend who's an ENTJ, but she frequently comes off as an ESTJ to those who don't know her well - her S is very active, but not her dominant function.

And you don't have to like to get your hands dirty to fit the bill. I've known other ISTPs who were cat-like in their fastidiousness and not evenly remotely N. Flipside: I've known INTPs who really enjoyed getting dirty and working with their hands, and none of them (that I knew personally) had an S worth spit. So. Anomalies that aren't so anomalous in places? Perhaps.

EDIT: I want to add that a great many ISTPs of my acquaintance have felt the same "iffy" feeling about their type. I think that's the ISTP phantom Intuition asserting itself coupled with the Perceiving which wants to leave the doors open.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I know I have I, T and P but I’m doubting my S/N again.

I started off with MBTI thinking I was INTP, I read the profile which was eerily accurate and took several online tests which all came up INTP. I think those original tests should carry a lot of weight since I didn't know anything about MBTI. Once I found INTPc and #intp on IRC and spent some time there but I didn’t feel like I was among kindred spirits. So I read about Se and Ne in detail and thought maybe I’m ISTP instead.

I think the main problem is that I don’t do the things that either type likes to do. Most of the INTPs on the board seem to like higher math, programming, they’re in college, they’re way brainier than me though I am brainier than average. My brain gags on math higher than the basic four function calculator type, programming sounds like dull drudgery and I *hate* school. INTPs appear to enjoy beer bonging knowledge, I’d rather sponge up interesting facts here and there. They’re also overwhelmingly Enneagram type 5w4 and some 5w6. I’m 6w5, that’s three notches difference which seems fairly significant.

For ISTPs I hate getting my hands dirty, I’d rather avoid physical activity, I can take something apart and put it back together and have it work but meh. I’m not really into *doing* anything. No, I’m not depressed, I feel perfectly fine. Dicking around on the computer and playing games has pretty much been my sole interest for the past 9 years since I’ve had a PC.

So if the INTPs on the boards are the average and if I am an INTP then I’m a distant outlier. I’m not sure what other ISTPs are like since from what I can tell the other ISTPs on the board are kind of iffy about their types as well. But I’m defiantly not the stereotypical ISTP.

I think I read that S/N is the last function thing to establish itself and I’m almost 22 so that could be part of it. I was home schooled until I was 13 ½, completely alone, no friends. Just me, my library card and a pile of legos. Having to live more in my head may have contributed to a balanced S/N if that is the case.

I'm thoroughly confused so lets all vote on it instead.
    My husband is quite similar "case" as you. He is probably ISTP but could be INTP/J too. His strongest funtion is absolutely Ti but that's something in common with ISTP and INTP. He has really the big picture thinking but then he has also strong Se. Based on the descriptions he is more ISTP.

Try to decide if Se or Ne would seem more familiar to you as your auxiliar funtion. It's something people can see about you maybe better than Ti.

I really can't say if you are ISTP or INTP because I haven't met you in the real life.
    Last edited by alcea rosea; 01-20-2008 at 12:02 PM.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

compare Se/Ni to Ne/Si. they're quite different.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I would say that playing computer games constitutes as "doing" and physical activity, technically, but in a more controlled environment so that's very much in ISTP domain. But I think the reasons are different. Ti is a strategic way of thinking, so that's very much in line with video games, but an Se type is more interested in acquiring the skill, while the Ne is more interested in being creatively inspired.

As for Enneagram, Enneagram 6 seems to be pretty much open doors for all MBTI types more than any other. (Although Jung correlated it with introverted feeling.)

I'm certainly no expert, but in the short time I've been here I've read a lot of your posts and you seem VERY down-to-earth, no-bs, and the ISTP makes sense to me. I'm not getting much N from the posts I've read. But as someone else said, you probably have strong N or perhaps you are balanced and IXTP is your type? (I'm a bit of a fence sitter myself between F and T).