View Poll Results: What type is Sas?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • ISTP

20 80.00%
  • INTP

5 20.00%
First 23456 Last

I wouldn't be too hasty to rule out ISTP.

I've known several very organized ISTPs (and ESTPs) who drive for closure. Organization is often as much an aesthetic thing as it is a functional thing. Sometimes SPs just like the look and feel of an organized something (others like the look-and-feel of clutter). The T would then keep the organization utilitarian.

Even INTPs want closure for their Ti's. How does you use something without really have things pinned down? In my designs (software or hardware), I keep things very structured. I also know where most of things I care about are, though my room is, objectively a mess.

Life themes and flavors of type will modify descriptions slightly.

For instance being involved in the "physical" life theme will make you seem more SP. This goes for all types and temperaments. Being more involved in the "entrepreneurial" life-theme will make you seem more NT, no matter what your actual temperament.

Lack of development of your auxiliary, can lead to relying on other extraverted functions too much(like Te), instead of channeling the needs exposed by those functions through the auxiliary. When I was younger, I believe I relied on a weak Fe too much (resulting in my current oversensitive neurosis).

But adding to a former thought of "?". Are you more of a planner, a conceptualizer or an analyzer?

I suppose the simplest most revealing question is: "What makes you unique?"

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Fuck it. This is a waste of time. Every description is written so ambiguously I can’t make sense of anything.
    Last edited by sassafrassquatch; 01-22-2008 at 12:58 AM.

I can certainly understand why you feel that way! I think that they are ambiguously written also. I've been studying the functions and in any single day can say that I've pretty much used every single one. Makes me wonder if people can't just convince themselves that they are whatever they want to be. It might help if the creators of these systems used more examples of behaviors rather than just descriptors.

That said, I found the book Do What You Are to be the single most helpful thing in determining my type (not that I'm a super-close fit). What really helped me was reading about the everyday people who are the examples of each type.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Fuck it. This is a waste of time. Every description is written so ambiguously I can’t make sense of anything.
    Sas you are confirming my thoughts for starting this thread. Introverts cannot determine their true type from assessments and surely not from reading descriptions. You come from a very subjective perception as an introvert and if you do use Ti you are compartmentalizing. Stop kidding yourself and assess your true self with tests and things that are outside of your control and comfort zone. Your frustration is noted, which makes me believe that you want to see movement and closure, thus you could be one of the Chart the Course types, assuming you have totallydiscounted being extraverted.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    That said, I found the book Do What You Are to be the single most helpful thing in determining my type (not that I'm a super-close fit). What really helped me was reading about the everyday people who are the examples of each type.
    Me, too.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

J/P -- Since most of my activity is on the computer I see that my file system is immaculate, a folder for everything and everything in its folder. My MP3s are tagged and organized perfectly, clutter and stray files are kept to a minimum and everything is very tidy. My room, well, it's not tidy but it's not a mess either. I know where everything is and my bed is rarely made. I know J isn't all about being organized and scheduled but, blah. I don’t really feel as open and unfettered as a P would. I want things to be reasonably certain, stable, nailed down. I don't like surprises, last minute decisions or loose ends.
    What was your childhood like?

If you were in a LTR with someone who demanded every jot and tittle be in place, who organized more about you, who wanted to keep track of your time spent out and what you were doing and when you would come home, etc.... how would you feel about organization then?

(For example, I'm supposed to be flexible... and in many ways I am... but in other ways, I feel very rigid and inflexible despite being obviously P. I can't really stand when people surprise me by changing my plans for me or adding things to my schedule; wanting to manage risk means I hate being blind-sided; I really do like stability, so that I don't have to focus on maintaining my life. I want it all just to happen on its own, so I can focus elsewhere. I can also sit around and think of great ways to organize my files and books and CDs and other things... but just have trouble sticking with the system. Even though I'd rather have it organized -- as opposed to messy, and the mess bothers me after awhile -- it's too hard for me to tear myself away from my head games to commit energy to it. I think ISTPs are better at physical organization than INTPs.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    I found the book Do What You Are to be the single most helpful thing in determining my type (not that I'm a super-close fit). What really helped me was reading about the everyday people who are the examples of each type.
    I have Paul and Barbara Tieger’s collection and I find their theory oversimplified in attempting to use dichotomies in speedreading or attempting to determine type. Their theory, as does Otto Kroeger’s does not take into consideration the functions and attitudes. How do you know if what you are seeing for example is Ti-Ne being used or Ni-Fe? I posted a thread that ask the question.

Again going back to my example, both INTPs and INFJs can have a sense of detachment and disconnection and are comfortable with complexity. They can both focus on people and their interactions. The only way to know that the person is using Ti-Ne, and not Ni-Fe, is to discern if the person is making inferences to people by using the principles or models of something. Otherwise what you may be witnessing is a person attempting to connect or disconnect with impressionistic images.

It gets more confusing because INJs, like ISJs have a “one thing at a time” usage, which can easily be confused with a focus on principles. Something that I have experienced is perceiving types will take in a lot and decipher the material internally, whereas judging types can feel overwhelmed by too much information and immediately ask you to stop in order to uniform the information in order understand what was said. More so, there is Lenore Thomson’s theory that ITPs use Fi as their secondary introverted function and IFJs use Te as their secondary external function. I would think that the functions can easily be developed to confuse an onlooker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What was your childhood like?

If you were in a LTR with someone who demanded every jot and tittle be in place, who organized more about you, who wanted to keep track of your time spent out and what you were doing and when you would come home, etc.... how would you feel about organization then?

(For example, I'm supposed to be flexible... and in many ways I am... but in other ways, I feel very rigid and inflexible despite being obviously P. I can't really stand when people surprise me by changing my plans for me or adding things to my schedule; wanting to manage risk means I hate being blind-sided; I really do like stability, so that I don't have to focus on maintaining my life. I want it all just to happen on its own, so I can focus elsewhere. I can also sit around and think of great ways to organize my files and books and CDs and other things... but just have trouble sticking with the system. Even though I'd rather have it organized -- as opposed to messy, and the mess bothers me after awhile -- it's too hard for me to tear myself away from my head games to commit energy to it. I think ISTPs are better at physical organization than INTPs.)
    My parents are fundamentalist christian ISTJs and my dad is very, very J. He’s a persnickety, fastidious, perfectionist bordering on OCD. Growing up was very stable, everything planned in advance, very orderly and I was socially isolated. I was home schooled until I was 13
    Last edited by sassafrassquatch; 01-22-2008 at 12:59 AM.

I took this test and got this:

Jung Test Results

Your type is: ISTJ

Introverted (I) 90% Extroverted (E) 10%
    Sensing (S) 90% Intuitive (N) 10%
    Thinking (T) 72.97% Feeling (F) 27.03%
    Judging (J) 65.71% Perceiving (P) 34.29%

ISTJ - "Trustee". Decisiveness in practical affairs. Guardian of time- honored institutions. Dependable. 11.6% of total population.

Enneagram Test Results

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||||||| 76%
    Type 2 Helpfulness || 10%
    Type 3 Image Awareness |||||| 23%
    Type 4 Sensitivity |||||||||| 36%
    Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||||||||||| 90%
    Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||||||||| 86%
    Type 7 Adventurousness || 10%
    Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||| 23%
    Type 9 Calmness |||||||||| 40%

type score type behavior motivation
    5 27 I must be knowledgable and independent to be happy.
    6 26 I must be secure and safe to be happy.
    1 23 I must be perfect and good to be happy.
    9 12 I must be peaceful and easy to get along with to be happy.
    Last edited by sassafrassquatch; 01-22-2008 at 12:59 AM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

My parents are fundamentalist christian ISTJs and my dad is very, very J. He’s a persnickety, fastidious, perfectionist bordering on OCD. Growing up was very stable, everything planned in advance, very orderly and I was socially isolated. I was home schooled until I was 13
    Ps who grew up in especially J households tend to test a bit more J. Our upbringing has a huge influence on our preferences for cleanliness and orderliness, and the tests do indeed tend to put too much weight on these for determining J or P.

I have a friend who, while undeniably being an ESTP, has the neatest apartment of anyone I know and never called off or came in late once in the nearly two years I worked with him. From the stories I've heard, his mother kept their home looking like a display home for a real estate company.

Just to cite an example.