First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    From what I've read you're really quite different than me! You're cautious about things, you worry about bad things happening to you if you take risks (even driving!!!) and you prefer not to move! That's TOTALLY un-me! As your extroverted counterpart I'd think that you'd be more like me than that!
    Remeber - Whatever - that Se is ISTP's auxiliary function. So, they think first before moving. At least one ISTP that I know does it.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    Remeber - Whatever - that Se is ISTP's auxiliary function. So, they think first before moving. At least one ISTP that I know does it.
    I'm in love

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I would've thought these types were relatively easy to decide between. Especially if you take Keirsey's interpretation of them into account. The ISTP is the 'operator'. The gunslingers of the old west and the hitmen and assassins of today. Give them a tool; they will operate it. And they do it with such finesse that they look good in the process. Perfect for handiwork; from mechanics and builders to snipers. From birth, these guys are fiddling with some kind of machinery or tool, and if not, they're in the process of making it. ISTPs can be very adventurous and fun-loving; their the most common type of introverted Seven (in the Enneagram), but Fives, Sixes and many Nines can quite easily be ISTPs IMO.

The INTP is a much more in-their-head type. They're complex characters who build systems (along with the ENTP, while the xNTJs implement them) with their ideas. Much more than that, I couldn't say. You'd have to find someone with a better understanding of an INTP than me (e.g. an INTP).
    I remember a post from when I first got here. I went to find the one I was thinking of. I remembered PT having a similar trial of trying to discern which type he was. Maybe there's a certain breed of ISTP that has a little more trouble figuring it out, if they don't fit the description well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    In short, I grew up believing I was an INTP and pursued those directions very much. It's kind of sad because I was a huge sports guy (although not the way people think of sports - solo sports like skiing, swimming... and limited sports like tennis) and chose computers as my escape. Although I love technology, I hit a brick wall with technology... I then tried philosophy and psychology with similar brick walls. Eventually I went into finance, although I needed a job in the meantime... and that job led into this one. I'm only now accepting my nature better and starting to adjust the way I do things. Least work is paying for my courses this time.

But honestly, looking back, there are just too many factors with ISTPs to nail it down. Look into finance if there is a math inclination... I was failing math in elementary school, but my parents put me into Kumon - math tutoring thing and now... well, I'm decidedly not bad at it, so don't judge it by school measurements alone. They bought me a computer and I loved that. They put me into chess club, skiing, tennis... just about everything. It was the best thing possible for me. It seems like we come into our own at a later age if we are able to try enough things. The emphasis on past experiences is very important. Most of the stories here are dramatic versions of "wow, I found what I wanted!"... but really, we want to do everything. At some point something from our past or present opens up some kind of door and the rest is history.

Course, this refers to the period between one and two decades ago so things have changed. But I know more recent STPs that loved building models... everything from just models to racing cars to planes/helis. The same SPs show remarkable talent with strange things, like 3d modeling and such.

And not to be unPC yet again today, intelligence plays a large part in this as well. In general, significantly above average SPs seem to have a knack for doing just about everything, but in particular, they tend to be information processors (ie: analysts and such). I thought of that as an INTP trait for a long time until I came across some research on how higher corporate SPs act - seems that's the trend.

So, IMO, it's hard to give any direct advice. Pushing them to do things is probably the single most important thing. Instead of a summer job as McDonalds, a job packing computers (me!) is better... so is volunteer work, so are camps... anything, really. It doesn't even have to depend on means, really, since a lot of the things can be cheap or free.

But motivation might be tough - the sensitive parts for ISTPs is being able to do something. Always emphasise what they'd be able to do (ie: work for a mechanic? Fix a girl's car! Dance? Think Bond!) with their experience.

This INTJ thing has totally blown my mind. I’m going to look into it.

Also, I think I was wrong when I said I prefer sponges to beer bongs, I actually do beer bong information when I find something interesting.

I don't know why I can't keep my shit straight.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Also, I think I was wrong when I said I prefer sponges to beer bongs
    Sass and Magic Sponge sitting in a tree.....

“Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    TiSe

This INTJ thing has totally blown my mind. I’m going to look into it.
    Again referring back to interaction styles, when communicating with others, do you (Direct or Inform) - All communications that involve getting someone else to do something can be classified along a continuum from very directive to very informing. This dynamic involves the style of the communication as well as the words.

Do you focus your attention and interest on (Controling or Movement) - In any given interaction, we attend to different aspects. Some people are more focused on controlling some aspect of the interaction. Others are more focused on moving things along.

Also Improvisers (SP) and Catalyst (NF) consider motives of others
    Motives are the reasons people do things. They must be paid attention to in order to get the desired results. Knowing a person’s motives provides [people expressing Improviser] cues to freely respond as the other person pursues his or her wants or needs. [Berens]

People expressing Improviser can be cynical about human motives… they harbour no illusions about people being noble or saintly – “come off it”, says the [archetypal Improviser], no matter how virtuous we think ourselves, we all have feet of clay, we are all ultimately corruptible and self-serving. [Keirsey]

(When the Improviser and Theorist patterns are expressed together, the result can be especially sardonic, as the cynicism associated with the Improviser pattern and the scepticism associated with the Theorist pattern can feed upon one another).

Although this focus on Motives is shared with the Catalyst pattern, the interpretation of motivations by someone expressing Improviser is more down-to-earth than by someone expressing Catalyst. Viewed through the Improviser pattern, people’s motives might be a source of suspicion, but viewed through the Catalyst pattern, motives express the unique identities of individuals.
    Theorists (NT) and Traditionalists (SJ) focus on structure
    In the Theorist pattern, the structural attention goes to the abstract and multidimensional, as in logic and matrices, coordinates, and organizing principles. Theorist structures provide implementation strategies, and at the same time they provide ways to catalogue and master the principles of how the world operates. The goal is for all to learn to be more competent and efficient within the system. [Berens]

Once again, we can see how this description fits well with the nature of the scientific endeavour, which is also focussed on uncovering the underlying structure of the universe. However, not everyone who expresses the Theorist temperament strongly will necessarily lean towards the scientific – any situation involving the organisation of complex systems (such as the internal operations of a corporation) will also suit this general focus on how things are structured.

The focus on Structure is shared with the Traditionalist pattern, but the focus of those expressing Traditionalist is generally rules and responsibilities – about defining what is appropriate or what can be expected – whereas the Theorist pattern is more associated with systemic structures. Indeed, systems are at the very heart of the Theorist temperament, as we shall see from examining the type of intelligence associated with this pattern.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Highly intelligent ISTPs intersect with INTPs. Why, I don't know; but they do. Hence Sassafrassquatch.

Quote Originally Posted by ? View Post
    Again referring back to interaction styles, when communicating with others, do you (Direct or Inform) - All communications that involve getting someone else to do something can be classified along a continuum from very directive to very informing. This dynamic involves the style of the communication as well as the words.

Do you focus your attention and interest on (Controling or Movement) - In any given interaction, we attend to different aspects. Some people are more focused on controlling some aspect of the interaction. Others are more focused on moving things along.

Also Improvisers (SP) and Catalyst (NF) consider motives of others

Theorists (NT) and Traditionalists (SJ) focus on structure
    :confused:

So right now I'm thinking like this:

I 100% balls to the wall

S/N

T
    Cognitive Processes

Te - Extraverted Thinking

Contingency planning, scheduling, and quantifying utilize the process of extraverted Thinking. Extraverted Thinking helps us organize our environment and ideas through charts, tables, graphs, flow charts, outlines, and so on. At its most sophisticated, this process is about organizing and monitoring people and things to work efficiently and productively. Empirical thinking is at the core of extraverted Thinking when we challenge someone’s ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone else’s thought process. In written or verbal communication, extraverted Thinking helps us easily follow someone else’s logic, sequence, or organization. It also helps us notice when something is missing, like when someone says he or she is going to talk about four topics and talks about only three. In general, it allows us to compartmentalize many aspects of our lives so we can do what is necessary to accomplish our objectives.
    That sounds pretty good.

J/P – Since most of my activity is on the computer I see that my file system is immaculate, a folder for everything and everything in its folder. My MP3s are tagged and organized perfectly, clutter and stray files are kept to a minimum and everything is very tidy. My room, well, it’s not tidy but it’s not a mess either. I know where everything is and my bed is rarely made. I know J isn’t all about being organized and scheduled but, blah. I don’t really feel as open and unfettered as a P would. I want things to be reasonably certain, stable, nailed down. I don’t like surprises, last minute decisions or loose ends.

Out of the four IxTx types ISTJ and INTP are right out, ISTP is close but INTJ is also interesting.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

:confused:

So right now I'm thinking like this:

I 100% balls to the wall

S/N

T

That sounds pretty good.
    Good description!

MBTI
    TiSe

T

That sounds pretty good.

J/P – Since most of my activity is on the computer I see that my file system is immaculate, a folder for everything and everything in its folder. My MP3s are tagged and organized perfectly, clutter and stray files are kept to a minimum and everything is very tidy. My room, well, it’s not tidy but it’s not a mess either. I know where everything is and my bed is rarely made. I know J isn’t all about being organized and scheduled but, blah. I don’t really feel as open and unfettered as a P would. I want things to be reasonably certain, stable, nailed down. I don’t like surprises, last minute decisions or loose ends.
    Uhhh, since you prefer Te to Ti, you have made your decision. Te preference is down the line for ITPs. You are claiming ITJ. Again INFJ, INTJ, ISTJ and ISTP use Chart the Course in interaction style. It at least rules out INTP. You could be ISTJ.