User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Goosebump View Post
    I understand. So if I'm not wrong, your point is every type is capable of doing/feeling everythings other can, just with less or more ease. No particular action or judgment is reserved for only one type and not other.

I'm wondering if there are any particular articles do you find most helpful for your decision?

Also, after taking many people's posts into consideration, I decided that I'm an ISFP. This post really speaks to me:

My coldness usually results from me being unable to express my sympathy or my lack of offers to help. I feel deeply for someone and empathize with that person strongly, but I feel uncomfortable expressing to that person how I feel. I feel connected to an acquaintance once and offer my empathy to him, hearing his talk his difficulty connecting with strangers. He probably did not want it because he never responded back. From then on, it's hard for me showing sympathy to people, out of the fear of rejection or annoying them. As a defense mechanism, I usually try to push my empathy aside. At the time, I rather seem cold than to have my feeling hurt.

I'm aware that I have a fairly weak Fe, and that probably explains my usual clash with my ESFJ mom, who often complains that I don't reach out to help her unless she asks me to. This also have embarrassed my friends sometimes, who perceived what I said or did in public as just plain weird.

I'll probably have more identity crisis in the future But right now, I'm just going with ISFP because it feels more right.

Fi types in general would come off as discrete (I'm not sure who would be more though).

As for literature, Lenore Thomson's book is good. Interestingly, she divides chapters by dominant function (and then breaks it down into sub chapters). ESP/EFJ/ENP/INJ/IFP/ITP/ISJ. A couple of other books I've seen do that too. Point being though is that ISFP/INFP have a lot in common, just for being Fi dominant. So it's probably not unusual to be confused.

As for the functions/actions.. Some things would come harder than others probably. IFPs wouldn't be enthusiastic to develop Te. I think schooling, technical skills, and hobbies (like reading or games) all indirectly lend to Ti though. Although it would not be an IFP's natural choice..just something to draw upon. Additionally, depending on how you were raised, you'd get forced to do things that required Se (kind of like those stories of kids being taught to be right handed). For example, my dad wanted to make me live out his dreams of being an athlete, I think. I remember the first organized team I joined was in soccer. Which was a disaster at first. I was the kid who ran the ball the OTHER way, thinking I was some big hero.."I'm totally beating everyone!" Umm, no. But anyways, I got better.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

INFPs and tend to be perceived as very compassionate people. Sometimes people would call me cold, mean, even heartless. But this could be because I don't express my love and concern they way they expect me too. Also, it's difficult confiding in people. Is this an INFP trait, or applicable to any IXFP?
    INFPs are described as people who feel a lot of compassion, not necessarily people who show a lot of compassion. Quite honestly, ISFPs are described pretty much the same way.

The is is because the feeling is turned inwards when you are a Fi-dom. It can make you appear cold to others, even if you feel warm towards them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jung on Fi-doms
    There is little effort to respond to the real emotions of the other person, which tend to be damped and rebuffed, or to put it more aptly, are 'cooled off' by a negative value judgment. Although there is a constant readiness for a peaceful and harmonious co-existence, strangers are shown no touch of amiability, no gleam of responding warmth, but are met with apparent indifference or a repelling coldness. Often they are made to feel entirely superfluous.
    The most consistent thing I see in your posts is Fi. If you identify with dealing with the outer world in a pretty concrete way, trusting your senses, and preferring that theories have a practical application, then ISFP is probably more likely than INFP.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Fi types in general would come off as discrete (I'm not sure who would be more though).

As for literature, Lenore Thomson's book is good. Interestingly, she divides chapters by dominant function (and then breaks it down into sub chapters). ESP/EFJ/ENP/INJ/IFP/ITP/ISJ. A couple of other books I've seen do that too. Point being though is that ISFP/INFP have a lot in common, just for being Fi dominant. So it's probably not unusual to be confused.

As for the functions/actions.. Some things would come harder than others probably. IFPs wouldn't be enthusiastic to develop Te. I think schooling, technical skills, and hobbies (like reading or games) all indirectly lend to Ti though. Although it would not be an IFP's natural choice..just something to draw upon. Additionally, depending on how you were raised, you'd get forced to do things that required Se (kind of like those stories of kids being taught to be right handed). For example, my dad wanted to make me live out his dreams of being an athlete, I think. I remember the first organized team I joined was in soccer. Which was a disaster at first. I was the kid who ran the ball the OTHER way, thinking I was some big hero.."I'm totally beating everyone!" Umm, no. But anyways, I got better.
    haha I could totally imagine the situation. That's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    INFPs are described as people who feel a lot of compassion, not necessarily people who show a lot of compassion. Quite honestly, ISFPs are described pretty much the same way.

The is is because the feeling is turned inwards when you are a Fi-dom. It can make you appear cold to others, even if you feel warm towards them.

The most consistent thing I see in your posts is Fi. If you identify with dealing with the outer world in a pretty concrete way, trusting your senses, and preferring that theories have a practical application, then ISFP is probably more likely than INFP.
    That makes sense. I could see how that creates problems for Fi people. I guess I have to try to develop my Fe then. But it's rather difficult, because when I do, I usually feel fake in a way.

Can you elaborate "dealing with the outer world in a pretty concrete way". I know that's the essence of Se, but I think I need more examples.

And I guess I usually like theories to have some practicality. Like learning psychology for the sake of understanding myself more and by doing so, will have an easier time sorting my thoughts and feelings. It also would help dealing with people. Though sometimes I do learn them just for fun. But If I learn something just for the sake of knowing, and they're getting too depressing or complex, I will stop.

What makes me feel most un-INFPish, I think, is that I'm not naturally abstract and imaginative and even though fairly easy, it does require some effort in making inferences. Not saying that ISFPs are not, but it just seems like it comes more effortlessly for INFPs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Can you elaborate "dealing with the outer world in a pretty concrete way". I know that's the essence of Se, but I think I need more examples.

And I guess I usually like theories to have some practicality. Like learning psychology for the sake of understanding myself more and by doing so, will have an easier time sorting my thoughts and feelings. It also would help dealing with people. Though sometimes I do learn them just for fun. But If I learn something just for the sake of knowing, and they're getting too depressing or complex, I will stop.

What makes me feel most un-INFPish, I think, is that I'm not naturally abstract and imaginative and even though fairly easy, it does require some effort in making inferences. Not saying that ISFPs are not, but it just seems like it comes more effortlessly for INFPs.
    Fe is a bit awkward for me too

i can't really speak much to Se, but i think the hallmark of Ne is making connections even where others don't perceive any. i know that i can argue my way out of any corner based on that. so it's easy for me to see almost anything as "practical", because it has some application that's important in some way. or it could. i don't usually learn for the sake of learning - it's just that i don't mind learning anything because i believe that it has some kind of connection somewhere. and as i understand it, INFPs with Ne 2nd make connections for the sake of their Fi values. so they may be more discriminating than an ENFP with Ne - they would direct it to areas they have judged with Fi to be worthy of attention.

here is the main difference i think lies between SFP and NFP:

ISFPs are action-oriented individuals. They are "doers", and are usually uncomfortable with theorizing concepts and ideas, unless they see a practical application. They learn best in a "hands-on" environment, and consequently may become easily bored with the traditional teaching methods, which emphasize abstract thinking [...]

ISFPs are extremely perceptive and aware of others. They constantly gather specific information about people, and seek to discover what it means. They are usually penetratingly accurate in their perceptions of others.
    ISFPs seem to be wayyy better at being in the moment. one i know is a little "dreamy" just like her INFP counterparts - quiet, gentle, mysterious - but still in a more down-to-earth way.

i think INFPs tend to have more intellectual hang-ups too. ISFPs seem more organic in a way. more go-with-the-flow.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Because I'm not really attracted to sad things like many INFPs seems to. I love to dance and you would find me busting into random moves while listenting to songs. My INFP cousin can stand Seattle and loves living there. But I can't because weather conditions affect my mood. I usually feel more down on a gloomy, cloudy day, as opposed to clear, sunny weather.
    Yeah, me too. I'm really affected by weather, surroundings, dirtiness, ugliness, smells, lack of sleep, what food I eat, light and sound sensitivity (I actually wear earplugs when I sleep, unless I live alone or am in a very quiet place) etc. It really makes me wonder sometimes.

And I'm unsure about me placing harmony as a priority. When I believe in something, I usually state it out, despite creating some irritation and tension to people around me. In arguments, I usually don't back down, unless the person starts crying and yelling, then I will withdraw. But if I see people close to me start doing so, it troubles me greatly.
    Me too.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Your definitely an INFP. Your contempt for blindly following religion (something a Sensing person would more like do), your egalitarian ethical values, and your appreciation for abstract and theoretical subjects are all highly intutive traits.
    This is completely stupid bullshit. OP, please don't listen to this nonsense.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Orangey
    Alright, I'll admit that the first two traits aren't necessarily intuitive, I apologize for being wrong. But I'm not taking back what I said on the third trait, having an interest in theoretical and abstract subjects is usuallu an indicator that some is intuitive.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Alright, I'll admit that the first two traits aren't necessarily intuitive, I apologize for being wrong. But I'm not taking back what I said on the third trait, having an interest in theoretical and abstract subjects is usuallu an indicator that some is intuitive.
    Good.

As to the third trait you mentioned, I suppose that is more acceptable. I think that typing by interests, however, is a bad way to go about it. Many types can have many different types of interests. It's their motivations and the way they go about pursuing their interests that differentiates them.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I already addressed it. And I it's ok really, Orangey was just trying to help out.

Edit: I mean Savage Brain.
    Last edited by Goosebump; 09-02-2010 at 06:38 AM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Yeah, me too. I'm really affected by weather, surroundings, dirtiness, ugliness, smells, lack of sleep, what food I eat, light and sound sensitivity (I actually wear earplugs when I sleep, unless I live alone or am in a very quiet place) etc. It really makes me wonder sometimes.
    Some of that may be a 4 thing (you are enneagram 4, right?). 4s are very affected by their physical atmosphere, although the response tends to be emotional. It can stem from their idealism. In people with an sp instinctual variant, there is also often a sensitivity to these things, because it threatens their well-being. For a 4 type, I think it's almost an unwelcome reminder of reality, a sensory intrusion on their fantasy world.

I don't like being uncomfortable physically at all either. I just thought this meant I am high-maintenance . But for me, I see how it could be related to my enneagram type.

However, I do see my ISFP step-dad being affected more by some sensory stimuli than I am. The washer/dryer can bug him, whereas I block that out easily.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe