User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 44

  1. #11
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    It's funny how it balances out.. I think the Si might lend an INFP to be romantic, retro, or antiquated in some areas. While the ISFP might be pioneering, or avant-garde-ish, or just plain outright weird, because of Ni. I don't think any squares belong to either type though
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  2. #12
    Senior Member Goosebump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    It could possibly be Ni (I've been confused myself on being ISFP btw).

    Anyways, I think it's best to forget about what seperates ISFP and INFP on a Fi level, but on the nature of perception. If you're more aware of everything going on around you more, "in touch with the object itself", prefer what's realistically/immediately available, more open to options in the present circumstances, in the moment, and generally, the kind of person who generally doesn't connect other random ideas or possibilities to the context, but likes to "get down to business" with what's there... that's more Se. Everyone can have a little of both, but the difference is preference. A Ne type is in a sort of "mental shortcut" mode, seeing patterns and impressions instead, rather than detail..they can stop and be detail oriented, but it seems like most would say that requires more conscious effort (rather than natural affinity).
    So are you saying that it doesn't really matter what my interests are and what I find myself doing often, but whether I prefer to use Ne or Se, which ever comes more effortlessly?

    Because I'm not really attracted to sad things like many INFPs seems to. I love to dance and you would find me busting into random moves while listenting to songs. My INFP cousin can stand Seattle and loves living there. But I can't because weather conditions affect my mood. I usually feel more down on a gloomy, cloudy day, as opposed to clear, sunny weather.

    And I'm unsure about me placing harmony as a priority. When I believe in something, I usually state it out, despite creating some irritation and tension to people around me. In arguments, I usually don't back down, unless the person starts crying and yelling, then I will withdraw. But if I see people close to me start doing so, it troubles me greatly.

    INFPs and tend to be perceived as very compassionate people. Sometimes people would call me cold, mean, even heartless. But this could be because I don't express my love and concern they way they expect me too. Also, it's difficult confiding in people. Is this an INFP trait, or applicable to any IXFP?

    I also tend to say, "That's good enough" and not that much of a perfectionist like my INFP cousin. :/

    Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    There's a size limit


    Oh, and I think you're N instead of S too. Do you tend to reminisce past experiences or just enjoy the present?
    My picture is only 119 x 101, and 4KB.

    I sometimes reminisce past experiences but hate it when I do. For the most part, I'm trying to enjoy the present, though sometimes it proves difficult.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Goosebump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    hi!

    one, i agree with the above about Ne

    two -

    absolutely. think for a second of type-diving lines as cutoffs, like in a grid laid over a scatterplot. naturally some points (people) will tend to be close to a certain line (like the division between Se and Ne). i suspect you are INFP, but almost everything you wrote in the OP was Fi-related. i wasn't at all surprised to see it was your strongest function by far, lol

    incidentally, what your cognitive profile suggests based on that quiz is not that you're ISFP, but rather INFP with strong usage/development of Si. this is not all that uncommon - i have a highly used tert function too. i suspect that if you happen to find yourself in an environment where your tertiary is particularly useful, you will tend to develop it more. so then, of course, it is also possible that you are an ISFP with highly used Ni. perhaps a good way to analyze it may be to look at what roles S and N seem to play for you - the aux role will be a guide/support, while the tert plays a "relief" role - helping if the first two functions are overburdened - and many describe their tertiary as something that seems to be able to be turned on/off at will, while the aux function is more automatic.
    Hmm, from the information you provided, I seem to be an ISFP. I would rather absorb myself in music than thinking hard about something. I usually discover a pattern and a new realization while relaxing, as opposed to forcing myself to think. When becoming uncomfortable with new idea, I would rely on Si to pull me back and put me in my comfort zone.

    It is possible that I'm a repressed INFP though. Living in an SJ family, my mom has always told me to being so "out there". For the record, I am very forgetful and this has caused her many troubles in the past.

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    It's funny how it balances out.. I think the Si might lend an INFP to be romantic, retro, or antiquated in some areas. While the ISFP might be pioneering, or avant-garde-ish, or just plain outright weird, because of Ni. I don't think any squares belong to either type though
    See, I don't consider myself romantic and retro-like. I've never found retro fashion appealing. Sappy love stories annoy me, as I think they are basically telling lies and give people a false sense of reality . I can see myself being pioneering and weird however , not so much avant-garde-ish as you describe.

  4. #14
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goosebump View Post
    So are you saying that it doesn't really matter what my interests are and what I find myself doing often, but whether I prefer to use Ne or Se, which ever comes more effortlessly?

    Because I'm not really attracted to sad things like many INFPs seems to. I love to dance and you would find me busting into random moves while listenting to songs. My INFP cousin can stand Seattle and loves living there. But I can't because weather conditions affect my mood. I usually feel more down on a gloomy, cloudy day, as opposed to clear, sunny weather.

    And I'm unsure about me placing harmony as a priority. When I believe in something, I usually state it out, despite creating some irritation and tension to people around me. In arguments, I usually don't back down, unless the person starts crying and yelling, then I will withdraw. But if I see people close to me start doing so, it troubles me greatly.

    INFPs and tend to be perceived as very compassionate people. Sometimes people would call me cold, mean, even heartless. But this could be because I don't express my love and concern they way they expect me too. Also, it's difficult confiding in people. Is this an INFP trait, or applicable to any IXFP?

    I also tend to say, "That's good enough" and not that much of a perfectionist like my INFP cousin. :/


    Uh, I don't think INFPs are necessarily attracted to sad things. Does Audrey Hepburn or Romeo seem particularly sad?

    Granted, Romeo killed himself... but umm... before that, I mean.

    I've got my share of things that weigh on me, but I don't really consider myself an emokid. I'm not even a kid, for that matter (I'm sad about that though. :P).

    INFPs speak up when they have to. Johnny Depp may be one and he started wildly threatening papparazzi who showed up at the hospital his daughter was born at. Joan of Arc raised an army against the English. In most descriptions, she'd listed as a prototypical one. That's a bit dramatic, but you get the point... I think?

    If you're heartless though, then I don't know. Not good, my man Maybe just hang around and read up more.. see where you fit. There's no rush. Also, your words "false sense of reality" doesn't sound very INFPish.. for what it's worth.

    edit: Oops.. I don't even know if you're a man or not. Sorry if not

  5. #15
    Senior Member Goosebump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    129

    Default

    ^ it's just a description I read somewhere and happen to remember. Good to have it cleared up.

    And I don't consider myself heartless, btw, selfish maybe. I receive that comment when someone close to me start crying because I refuse to do what they want, and I don't do or say anything. This comes back to me being stubborn and thinking it was their fault making a big deal of out this in the first place, so why should I apologize? I do realize my pride gets in the way of many things before.

    I'm also aware that doesn't sound INFPish. I think I might be a hybrid.
    and I'm a gal btw.

    EDIT: I think I picked a wrong choice of words. What I mean was I don't like them because they put people's expectations up too high, thus when they face a real romantic situation and see that it's not up to their par, become highly disappointed and distressed over it. I enjoy Howl's Moving Castle, a lot, even though the actual situation is not possible, but the chemistry between them is very real.

    EDIT: no problem done.

  6. #16
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Yeah, I pretty much fall in that unrealistic category..

    I think I may be hybrid myself though (and between you and me, I think this whole site is full of hybrids).

  7. #17
    Senior Member Goosebump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Yeah, I've been lurking on this site for a while and notice many people who seem to change their MBTI type a couple of times. And they really do can pass off for more than one type.

    Think I'm either a practical INFP or an analytical ISFP.

    Well, there are many criticisms to the theories so...

    What makes you unsure of being an INFP?

  8. #18
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    I've been confused on IFP in general (and wondered if I'm E or J), because I could be cold when I was younger too (not really coldheartedness.. just aggression.. I couldn't be completely cold.. I'd usually end up apologizing or getting very non-serious eventually). That kind of thing confuses me too, but I've kind of moved away from thinking of types being so restricted like that. Saying one type can't be angtsy or defensive is not a professional or common opinion for ISFP or INFP in literature/among experts.

    As for being confused on S. My first post here was like yours, wondering if I was S or N. I've retyped myself a couple of times, but it's been due to lack of information (partly my fault), false dichotomies, etc.. Also, I grew up learning what I thought were "S" things or even "Ti" things. Sports, fixing technical issues, etc.. But people can push themselves to do anything they want, I think (barring physical limitations). It's a matter of where your natural/unconscious preferences are.

  9. #19
    Uniqueorn William K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goosebump View Post
    My picture is only 119 x 101, and 4KB.
    Is the pic on your profile the one that's supposed to be for the avatar? Or is that a separate pic?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

    appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

    I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

    The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

  10. #20
    Senior Member Goosebump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    129

    Default

    I understand. So if I'm not wrong, your point is every type is capable of doing/feeling everythings other can, just with less or more ease. No particular action or judgment is reserved for only one type and not other.

    I'm wondering if there are any particular articles do you find most helpful for your decision?


    Also, after taking many people's posts into consideration, I decided that I'm an ISFP. This post really speaks to me:

    Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    I truly believe a person should be free to change as 'the spirit' moves them. I dislike making promises, [generally] speaking in absolutes, or having to decide on anything until it's happening in the actual moment. But what actually keeps me from following all of my impulses at the expense of others happens to be Fi. I'll scold myself for being too selfish and possibly hurting others, because both of those things are against my values. I'd have no choice but to suck it up and go.

    Two ESFPs I know are the same way; very optimistic, very happy-go-lucky, short memory, hate to be brought down by 'whiners' and pessimists. On the other hand, so are several of the xSFJs I know. I'm the only one who doesn't mind dealing with people who are less than very positive and forward-moving.



    I will concede to the bolded, but I consider myself very empathetic, almost to a fault. I simply don't go out of my way to help and be involved with others unless I'm super stressed.


    Sorry for crashing the thread, by the way.
    My coldness usually results from me being unable to express my sympathy or my lack of offers to help. I feel deeply for someone and empathize with that person strongly, but I feel uncomfortable expressing to that person how I feel. I feel connected to an acquaintance once and offer my empathy to him, hearing his talk his difficulty connecting with strangers. He probably did not want it because he never responded back. From then on, it's hard for me showing sympathy to people, out of the fear of rejection or annoying them. As a defense mechanism, I usually try to push my empathy aside. At the time, I rather seem cold than to have my feeling hurt.

    I'm aware that I have a fairly weak Fe, and that probably explains my usual clash with my ESFJ mom, who often complains that I don't reach out to help her unless she asks me to. This also have embarrassed my friends sometimes, who perceived what I said or did in public as just plain weird.

    I'll probably have more identity crisis in the future But right now, I'm just going with ISFP because it feels more right.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 64
    Last Post: 11-28-2014, 09:56 PM
  2. [MBTItm] is he INFP or ISFP
    By 2XtremeENFP in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 12:47 PM
  3. INFP or ISFP?
    By Sauropsidian in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 05:21 PM
  4. INFP or ISFP? Creating a thread at last...
    By Flush in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 04:44 AM
  5. INFP or ISFP?
    By Sunshine in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-03-2008, 12:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO