• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ or ISTJ?

technical

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm stuck between confirming whether or not I'm INTJ or ISTJ.

My questions are:

- What are the differences between Ni and Si as dominant functions?
- How do both Se and Ne manifest as inferior functions?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'm stuck between confirming whether or not I'm INTJ or ISTJ.

My questions are:

- What are the differences between Ni and Si as dominant functions?
- How do both Se and Ne manifest as inferior functions?

Both Si and Ni are ways of trying to understand the way the world works. Si tends to me more concerned with the solid question "Why do you think this will work?" Ni revolves around the more etherial question of "Why are you doing this at all?"

In the prime position, both functions seek to control their respective areas. Si will encourage the auxillary judging function to pick the path that is most liable to bring success, and demands planty of proof that victory is probable before it is happy to set off. This is why Si is associated with cautious behaviour and being concerned with what has gone before (what has already been shown to work appeals to Si).

Ni will seek to control the "why" question, asking "Why can't we do it like this?" or "why can't things be like this instead?" THis is why Ni is associated with trying to bring about change and odd behaviour. INJs frequently question and reject many of the basic assumptions that most people hold about life, making their motivations hard to understand. Especially in us INTJs, because we can't be bothered to explain it to anyone.

Both the extroverted percieving functions are associated with an urge to experiment and explore. Having them in the inferior position means that ITJs are rather in danger of turning into a bunch of grey faced stick in the muds, if the are not careful.

Ne is a link to the world of ideas and concepts, creating an urge to explore the world and how it relates to them. ISTJs often reject this, refusing to see the worth in new ideas until well proven and rejecting such behaviour as silly or unworthy. Inferior Ne often manifests as a suspicion of the new, or an inability to change tracks and get out of rut.

Inferior Se causes a rejection of directly participating in things, causing INJs to hang back and just watch, perhaps directing but not getting involved. When the inferior lashes out, it often comes with bouts of physical esses, be it eating, drinking or exercising. It can also be seen as periodic bouts of urge indulgance, such as trying to get people to do something, for no reason other than to see if you can do it.

technical

MBTI Type
INTP
ISTJs often reject this, refusing to see the worth in new ideas until well proven and rejecting such behaviour as silly or unworthy. Inferior Ne often manifests as a suspicion of the new, or an inability to change tracks and get out of rut.
Okay, well then I certainly do not have an inferior Ne. *scratches off ISTJ*

Inferior Se causes a rejection of directly participating in things, causing INJs to hang back and just watch, perhaps directing but not getting involved. When the inferior lashes out, it often comes with bouts of physical esses, be it eating, drinking or exercising. It can also be seen as periodic bouts of urge indulgance, such as trying to get people to do something, for no reason other than to see if you can do it.
Ah, this is definitely my inferior function.

Ne is a link to the world of ideas and concepts, creating an urge to explore the world and how it relates to them.
How does the INTJ's shadow Ne manifest?

And my last question is, how do I strengthen my Te? Throughout adolescence, I think I had become used to operating in a Ni-Fi loop and not enough effort and attention were directed toward Te.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Okay, well then I certainly do not have an inferior Ne. *scratches off ISTJ*

Ah, this is definitely my inferior function.

Incidently, which bit of that description do you relate to most?

[/quote]

How does the INTJ's shadow Ne manifest?

The 4th and 5th functions usually show a distracting character. Opposing Ne is no exception. It causes a desire to experiment with the real world effects and manifestations of concepts and ideas. As an opposing function, it present the user with a wide range of short term distractions to Ni's long term visions. If followed, these tend to provide some brief amusement, but ultimately do not carry the big happyness pay off forefilling Ni. Thus an INTJ caught up in Ne tends to have big dreams, but do nothing except flit from one thing to another without finding any real satisfaction.

The other way opposing Ne can be seen is as a response to some outside pressure that demands an extroverted percieving attitude. Se is the one that provides real satisfaction, but because the primary suprses it, the person often slips into a more Ne approach to tactling the problem. However, because the shadow function is largely pleasureless the attitude cannot be maintained for long, and the person slips back into a more comfortable Ni stance. If the person can overcome the inferior supression for long enough, they often find that Se is kind of fun and will start to use it without being forced into it.

And my last question is, how do I strengthen my Te? Throughout adolescence, I think I had become used to operating in a Ni-Fi loop and not enough effort and attention were directed toward Te.

Difficult question. I have some sympathy for your problems, having had similar experiences myself. The bad news is that all those exercises designed to strengthen the functions are bull shit. The functions are motivations, not skill sets. Strengthening a function requires more than learning how to do something - it requires learning how to want to do something.

To strengthen Te you have to learn how to be more decisive. You have to learn to have confidence in your decisions, or at the very least you have to understand that usually no decision is the worst decision of all. When faced with a choice, steel yourself and make it. I suspect that you will find that action brings with it a sense of relief.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
don't type by functions, it will lead you astray and into the endless vortexes of over-analysis.

Look at the cohesive INTJ and ISTJ profiles, look at the hardcore differences between SJs and NTs in general, and then decide which one best suites you.