• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ --> ISFP?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've typed INFJ all my life ... but last night I took the test and came out ISFP. I started reading ISFP and it fits better than INFJ. This is kind of rocking my world. How is it possible to get results so far apart? Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, how did you resolve it?

gromit

likes this
I would guess strong Ni... I was just talking to Pitseleh about it, because a lot of the NJ stuff was resonating with me... it's strange, because NJs use NiSe, while SPs use SeNi...

Of course I still am not entirely certain what all the functions MEAN.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know, right? I can't tell one car from another; I miss a lot of detail in my surroundings -- but I can tell you if the color on the walls is right, I mean, I notice that immediately, how my surroundings make me feel. I thought I could account for that via enneagram self-preservation variant, but I don't even have to go there if I'm an ISFP, because all that stuff is right up front in the description.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I used to test as INFJ (still do sometimes), I think sometimes Fi + Ni from ISFP can come out looking like INFJ or something.

KDude

I've never typed as one myself.. I think the main difference may be that INFJs take a more proactive approach in finding harmony with people. They might be introverts, but their F is extraverted and reaching out more. And probably more articulate too. Ni is able to find new angles on things to bridge differences. A type 9 ISFP could appear just as harmonious, not be stubborn about their own approach.. but I think they'd be less inclined to be extroverted in a harmonious way, and just dispel differences by being a little more passive, showing their goodwill in less direct ways..not even voicing new approaches.. more of a "I don't care, whatever" attitude. Not exactly the assertive, outside-the-box approach of INFJ per se.

While other types of ISFP (or INFP), the ones that are more 4 like, who by nature don't ignore differences, would behave unlike either of the above, I think?

What's your enneagram type? Did you type as a 4 INFJ before, but now may be 4 ISFP?

Sunny Ghost

i've met a few ISFP's that think they are INFJ's in real life. especially an ISFP that's done a lot of soul searching, calming down, and strived for universalism.

Dying Acedia

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How close were your results? I actually tested INTJ the first time I took an MBTI test, but it was really close to P (probably no more than 60% J).

Circumstances can change your results a bit, I think. That's interesting that you find ISFP fits better. Have you looked at other types in-between as well? (Like INFP or ISFJ?)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you know the scores of your cognitive functions from the test you took recently?

Here's the reason I ask.

Ten years ago I tested ENTJ.
I never followed up with reading about the type, just took a free test online for a friend.

Two years ago I took a more comprehensive battery (a paid test) and tested ESTP.

My cognitive function scores are as follows:
EXTROVERTED (E) 77.14% ||| introverted (i) 22.86%
SENSING (S) 60% ||| intuitive (n) 40% = NEAR BALANCED
THINKING (T) 72.22% ||| feeling (f) 27.78%
PERCEIVING (P) 51.43% ||| judging (j) 48.57% = ALMOST EXACTLY BALANCED

So, it does not surprise me that I tested ENTJ a decade ago, because my J/P scores are so close that I might as well be ESTX.

With a 60/40 split between S/N, that could be close to "X" as well, leaving me EXTX.

Now to muddy the water further, as part of my own personal discovery and growth, I have done alot of work in developing my feelings, for the past two years actually.

Since then I have tested ESFP and ISFP.

BUT - when I read (most) ESTP type descriptions, that's what nails it down for me, all the good stuff and none of the used car salesman crap is me, spot on. So that's why I haven't bothered changing my type from ESTP to ESTX or EXTX. Screw it. :laugh:

OK, that's a Socionics type, and there is a general rule of thumb, that for introverted Socionics types, to get the MBTI equivalent, reverse the inferior function, so ISFp in Socionics = ISFJ in MBTI.

How do you identify with an ISFJ (MBTI) type description?

Portrait of an ISFJ

Now compare that to a (MBTI) ISFP description:

Portrait of an ISFP

Which one of these fits better? The answer might clear up some of your remaining uncertainty... :newwink:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I almost always test INFP. I am getting a bit more ISFP-ish, I think. Probably because people start developing the inferior function around my age if what I've read is true.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OK, that's a Socionics type, and there is a general rule of thumb, that for introverted Socionics types, to get the MBTI equivalent, reverse the inferior function, so ISFp in Socionics = ISFJ in MBTI.

How do you identify with an ISFJ (MBTI) type description?

Portrait of an ISFJ

Now compare that to a (MBTI) ISFP description:

Portrait of an ISFP

Which one of these fits better? The answer might clear up some of your remaining uncertainty... :newwink:

It varies with socionics type. I'm an ISFp and ISFP, lots of ISFPs identify with ISFp. But that's just semantics lol. but yeah I'd say definitely check out both of those profiles just for clarity. :yes:

Best-Fit Type : Exploring the Multiple Models of Personality Type is a great website for type profiles; and their affiliate site 4temperaments.com -- Understanding Temperament Theory is a great site for temperament.

KDude

The socionics ISFp is kind of hard for me to identify with on some things. I'm more INFp (and often test as such).

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bless you, darlin' Halla! Thank you for providing direction!

ISFJ fits 99 percent. And that's what I said I was when I came here, but for some reason I didn't seem like an S to the Ss, and I got kicked out of the S club. :D

There are a couple of things in the MBTI ISFP description that are mine, too, but mostly the ISFJ fits. It mentions things I am specifically good at. I know other people see me as extremely dependable; I don't give myself full marks for that, I always feel like I fall short, but I do put full effort into it, literally won't quit until I fall down.

You Ss, I'm coming back in whether you want me or not!

Jaguar

ISFJ fits 99 percent. And that's what I said I was when I came here, but for some reason I didn't seem like an S to the Ss, and I got kicked out of the S club. :D

There are a couple of things in the MBTI ISFP description that are mine, too, but mostly the ISFJ fits. It mentions things I am specifically good at. I know other people see me as extremely dependable; I don't give myself full marks for that, I always feel like I fall short, but I do put full effort into it, literally won't quit until I fall down.

If you have nothing better to do, try out this test and see what your temperament scores show:

PTypes - Temperament Test

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, but I have a question. I have a very delicate nervous system as regards beauty. I can't go to concerts or operas because beautiful music makes tears come down my face and sometimes even makes me tremble and I feel like a fool. I have a strong physical reaction to beautiful things, whatever they might be, whether visual or auditory. There's more along those lines, but that's the best example. It's like I get sensory overload very easily. If you had to match that to a function, what is that? I mean, it's an ecstatic reaction, but you never see that talked about, or at least I haven't seen it.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

You are VERY welcome, Seniorita! :happy:

Wild! That is cool that you can differentiate between the two and resolve the uncertainty. AWESOME. If I look at the ESTJ description, it fits me fairly well, but the ESTP description fits me waaaay better. That was the kind of difference I was wondering you would find in the ISFP/ISFJ descriptions. Cool! :cool:

And, as far as the S's saying you don't seem like one, who the hell are they? :doh: Some of them are probably N's, just like some N's on this site are probably Sensors! :tongue10: You know have a Sensor Sheriff's Badge!

SheriffBadge.jpg

Arrest whomever you like, you have my permission. :2ar15:

Ahhh, differences in the type description VS. your self perception, that is interesting! :yes:

Hell yes!
Welcome back!
It's party time!

:party2:

-Halla

Jaguar

Ok, but I have a question. I have a very delicate nervous system as regards beauty. I can't go to concerts or operas because beautiful music makes tears come down my face and sometimes even makes me tremble and I feel like a fool. I have a strong physical reaction to beautiful things, whatever they might be, whether visual or auditory. There's more along those lines, but that's the best example. It's like I get sensory overload very easily. If you had to match that to a function, what is that? I mean, it's an ecstatic reaction, but you never see that talked about, or at least I haven't seen it.

That's an emotional reaction that any person could have if they are strongly affected by music. I would never suggest it is a direct result of a specifc mental process. (function) Many people have extremely sensitive sensory systems- some are found in migraineurs, for example. Don't think everything about you, is specifically type related. Emotional reactions are a perfect example. Some of the most emotional people can be Ts.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Temperament Score
Idealist 11
Rationalist 2
Traditionalist 10
Hedonist 6
Your temperament type is Idealist.

By 1 point...

KDude

I'm the same way.. I don't know if it's limited to type.. I'm sure many F's could be the same way though.