• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Finally giving in

BrokenSword

MBTI Type
INTP
Hello, I've been a lurker on here for quite some time. Also my friend Serge is on here :hi:. Anyway over the past year I have had a very difficult time typing myself. I could go the easy route and just say I am an INTJ since that's what I score on almost all of the test I've taken. But something doesn't seem right.

I had to edit this post because I was hoping the reader would actually click on the link provided. By not doing that you could get the wrong idea about me.

To be honest I really didn't want to join and post. Mainly because I don't like to reveal much about myself to others and I seldom post on forums. Anyway I have looked into the functions however they seem to be so damn vague I fail to grasp a good understanding of all the functions. Over the past year I went from INTJ-INTP-INTJ-ENTJ-INFJ-INTP-INFJ-INTP.

I am open to consideration of other types. I asked some of my friends (who unfortunately don't know me all that well) and 2 of them pick INTP as the best type to describe me. At first I thought that was a good fit yet there were still many things that bother me.

I can relate to the OP in this thread:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/what-s-my-type/10708-help-me-find-my-type-infj-intp.html
I am going to copy/paste all the things I relate to from this post.

-I enjoy socializing with a very small group of friends with whom I connect very well and to whom I'm fiercely loyal

-I trust very, very few people with feelings and secrets, though I find that a lot of people are comfortable coming to me with them

-I'm meticulous about how I express myself. You have no idea how many times I've edited and reedited this post

-Around friends, I am always cracking jokes, usually based on sarcasm and pranks, but around new people I tend to put a lid on this because people I don't know well tend to take what I say seriously or misunderstand my humor.

-I feel like I can read people relatively well I see through most BS

-When I get excited about an idea or something I've read or seen or something, I tend to completely fixate on it. If I'm into a book I will do nothing else but read until it's done. I'll recommend it to all my friends, and though I'm usually relatively quiet and reserved, if someone else is into one of my obsessions, I could talk to them about it excitedly for hours.

-I see a lot of people as fake and/or pretentious, and I have no patience or tolerance for it. I sometimes make these judgments quicker than I should about people I don't know. I get easily frustrated by total strangers.

-I consult others before making personal decisions, but I find that I only do it as a means of clarifying my own thoughts, and don't necessarily change my mind. But I am open to suggestions.

-As far as decision-making goes, I tend to need to think a lot before I make one (do research, consult with others, think objectively about all aspects of the situation) (P?), but once I make them I stand firmly by them and need them to be relatively final (J?).

Here are ones I wrote
- I am very ambitious and driven to succeed

- I notice things such as cuts and band-aids on a person, the
paper thing in someones hat, a dent in a car (I was told this is Se). I mention this because this whole time I thought that example above was Si which is why I thought I was an INTP. Because I didn't have Se.

- If I am an INTP/INTJ I am quite romantic for one.

- Appointments and such I always arrive on time if not earlier.

- At work I am very slick with the things I say. This means I come back with a very witty remark.

- At work I sometimes flirt a lot.

- I am bad at writing about myself

- In fact my writing skills are rather poor. But I am quite the poet

- Did I mention I am bad at writing about myself.

I rarely test as an INFJ it might be due to how the questions/test is worded. Almost always I score NT yet I am nostalgic and most of the music I love listening to is quite sad and depressing. There is something about sad music that catches my ears. Perhaps there is just more meaning behind it.

Another important thing I should mention is all the friends I've made online are due to me taking the initiative. That is I add them to my instant messenger. If I think back to work the friends I've made there are also due to my initiative.

BrokenSword

MBTI Type
INTP
Edit: I am starting to think maybe I shouldn't have posted since my writing skills are rather poor. Or maybe it's because I feel like there is so much depth to me I can't really explain myself.

Aleksei told me he thinks I am an ISFP. After doing some reading on it I realize that my post will cause confusion. For I am nothing like an ISFP I am afraid. Then I need to find a better way of saying what I want to say. It's better if you guys just asked me questions.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Much of what you have written about yourself is consistent with INTJ, so I can easily see why you might get this type on tests. I do not know you at all well enough, though, to say whether this is accurate or to suggest an alternative. Remember two things: (1) everyone has every function, we just differ in the comfort and ability with which we use each one; (2) there is considerable variation within each type.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
To me, your post looks like you are very likely an IJ type. It is very unclear about your F/T, but I am thinking that you are using more Fe than Te. So my guess would be ISFJ or INFJ.

BrokenSword

MBTI Type
INTP
I can safely say that I am not an ISFP, but I haven't ruled out S completely. Looking back at who I was discussing my type with they just make statements and took one thing too far. But I did see their point of view with the limited information provided and my lack of function understanding. It can lead to be view as something you're not.

The argument for ISFP was base on everything I said that would not have merit. I wasn't sure if I naturally saw details like (the band-aid or the paper thing in someone hat) or if it was force. Given the situation that I notice these details, I would compare it to asking for mustard on your hotdog. There is no way you can miss it. I took a cognitive function test that I didn't really understand and they base their assumption off of that. When it is clear I score different results. I can easily prove this and have already mention it.

You can't conclude I don't write like a Ti or Te when I clearly write to get my point across nothing more. For my English writing skills aren't strong. So instead of looking at how I write, look at what I say. The next thing that was mention was how I am not really in tune with Ni. Well I already stated I don't know what Ni is.

Not knowing isn't the same as not having. There is more to Ni than just the shower effect I am sure of this. There is too much written on Ni to conclude this is all it really is. I am not saying it's one of my main functions but to write off a function base on not knowing is a bit ridiculous.

Reasons why I am not an ISFP -
- I think about the future
- I day dream a lot it's one of my favorite past times
- I speak in generalities as oppose to specifics
- I refuse to accept reality as it is
- I am not much of a hipster
- More in touch with the reality of their senses, ISFPs live in the here and now.
- ISFPs may be quite charming and ingratiating on first acquaintance, flowing with compliments which may (or may not) be deserved.
- Willing to take risk
- ISFPs will practice playing an instrument or honing a favored skill for hours on end, not so much as practice as for the joy of the experience.
- ISFPs often live out 'id' experiences rather than writing or even talking about them.
- ISFPs are sometimes confused with ESFJs, I have never been confuse for an ESFJ.
-They are more adept at doing than considering, at acting than reflecting, at tasting than wondering.
- More methodical than on the go free spirited
- SFPs cherish their impulses. Some of the most beautiful, graceful, and artistic performances are the result of this drive for physical, sensate expression.
- Focus on immediate realities rather than future possibilities
- Peaceful, easygoing people who adopt a "live and let live" approach to life.
- They enjoy taking things at their own pace and tend to live in the moment. Although quiet, they are pleasant, considerate, and caring, devoted to the people in their lives.
- I am not the most absent minded but I am certainly not in tune with my surroundings. I can recall not even noticing things in my kitchen.

Reason why I could be an ISFP -
- I don't like to lose
- It is not unusual for ISFPs to excel in sensory, motor, or kinesthetic abilities. Well the profession I want to excel in, is Sport.
- If I focus my eyes I can see details.

Now it's possible I could be an ISFP with a strong intuition or an INFJ with strong thinking. But regardless of how you say it I should be able to see myself in type description even if it's not the most accurate. This isn't the case with ISFP unfortunately.

/DG/

Reasons why I am not an ISFP -
- I think about the future
N
- I day dream a lot it's one of my favorite past times
This is mainly an N trait, but I've heard of some ISFP's that are known to daydream.
- I speak in generalities as oppose to specifics
N
- I refuse to accept reality as it is
N
- I am not much of a hipster
Not all ISFP's are hipsters. :p
- More in touch with the reality of their senses, ISFPs live in the here and now.
- ISFPs may be quite charming and ingratiating on first acquaintance, flowing with compliments which may (or may not) be deserved.
- Willing to take risk
- ISFPs will practice playing an instrument or honing a favored skill for hours on end, not so much as practice as for the joy of the experience.
- ISFPs often live out 'id' experiences rather than writing or even talking about them.
- ISFPs are sometimes confused with ESFJs, I have never been confuse for an ESFJ.
-They are more adept at doing than considering, at acting than reflecting, at tasting than wondering.
- More methodical than on the go free spirited
- SFPs cherish their impulses. Some of the most beautiful, graceful, and artistic performances are the result of this drive for physical, sensate expression.
- Focus on immediate realities rather than future possibilities
- Peaceful, easygoing people who adopt a "live and let live" approach to life.
- They enjoy taking things at their own pace and tend to live in the moment. Although quiet, they are pleasant, considerate, and caring, devoted to the people in their lives.
I take it this means you disagree with the above statements?
- I am not the most absent minded but I am certainly not in tune with my surroundings. I can recall not even noticing things in my kitchen.
N

Reason why I could be an ISFP -
- I don't like to lose
Most people don't like to lose, regardless of type. :p
- It is not unusual for ISFPs to excel in sensory, motor, or kinesthetic abilities. Well the profession I want to excel in, is Sport.
- If I focus my eyes I can see details.
So can everyone, but the key word you said is "focus." For ISFP's and other SP's, they just seem to notice things and don't really have to make a conscious effort.

Now it's possible I could be an ISFP with a strong intuition or an INFJ with strong thinking. But regardless of how you say it I should be able to see myself in type description even if it's not the most accurate. This isn't the case with ISFP unfortunately.
Based on your post, I really do not think you are an ISFP. I am almost 100% positive you are an intuitive.

BrokenSword

MBTI Type
INTP
Based on your post, I really do not think you are an ISFP. I am almost 100% positive you are an intuitive.

You are correct in your assessment. But lets look at the things that could make me a sensor.

- I can recall past information pretty well, in school I would skip class all the time. Yet I would manage to pass test like nothing. This doesn't mean I can tell you what I learn from those test. It's just good recollection not photographic memory. I can't remember if I choose it just happens randomly.
- I like participating in combative sports. But it's not for the joy of exercising or whatever it's the strategy and concept behind the art. It's just beautiful the science behind Martial Arts.
-When I wear clothes I like to match but nothing fancy. Usually a t-shirt and jean kind of guy.
- In terms of food taste looks don't bother me but the taste of the food would.
- I am not clueless to my senses. One INTP told me he walked into a wall one time. This has never ever happen to me. But I have walked in to a screen door (but it's see through).
- If I am eating with a friend say she/he grabs a napkin on the table or something if they brought a new watch or say have a bandaid or bruise on their arm I will notice it and ask them about it. I am not sure if this is focus attention or comes naturally. Since my line of vision is disrupted by their action so I am bound to see it. This doesn't mean that if I walk into a room I will notice what everyone is wearing. So perhaps it's not natural but focus vision.

/DG/

Well, lets try not to just state little reasons why you may be an S or an N.

Try looking at this picture and tell me what you see. (Does not have to be long.)

dali.jpg

BrokenSword

MBTI Type
INTP

Try looking at this picture and tell me what you see. (Does not have to be long.)

dali.jpg

I see a set of toys. The buildings are blocks. It looks like a child's room.

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6

dali.jpg

What exactly would a intuitive see? The only thing I notice is the geometric consistency throughout the whole picture. The weird cloud pattern. The circle in the box that seems to lead to no where and the odd chair, just sitting there.

Also. I know the OP. I tend to get the intuitive vibe from him. XNXJ and I would lean towards T.

/DG/

What exactly would a intuitive see? The only thing I notice is the geometric consistency throughout the whole picture. The weird cloud pattern. The circle in the box that seems to lead to no where and the odd chair, just sitting there.

I;m not really sure. I was just curious to see what he would say.

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've asked some of the same questions you're asking. I test consistently INTJ, but wondered about a few things. The more I've been reading about the types and each of the functions, the more I see that I don't fit anywhere else but INTJ.

But I don't walk into walls. Being INTJ, or NT, or even just N, doesn't mean you're clueless about seeing things. I do sometimes notice things like a bandaid or an injury when it comes into my focus. Sometimes I'll glance down and someone's shoes will catch my eye, and something about the shoes will attract my notice and I'll comment, "Nice shoes!"But I'm not usually looking at people's shoes.

I thought your writing was just fine. :) The length made me think, "INTP." But the list makes me think INTJ.

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
What exactly would a intuitive see?

I've seen this picture, and the reasoning goes that an S will list details of the picture - the items. An N will try to make sense of what the picture means -- what it's trying to say.

But I think it can go either way, especially if you think a certain answer is wanted and you're trying to give the "right" answer. Then it becomes as much trying to anticipate the question as looking at the picture.