User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Default THE EPIC BATTLE OF E VERSUS I (nfp)

okay guys.

so i've taken variations of the mbti about 30 times (i'm a psych major, lots of those were required, lol), and i come out about 50-50 xNFP. i'm totally down with the NFP, but the E-I is bugging me.

the thing is, i always thought i was an I. i don't really like initiating social contact (but i do enjoy social contact), and i need my alone time (but i do go batty if it's more than a day and i haven't interacted with others.) i did the type-checker in the stickies, and i come out as an I for sure - more of a behind the scenes person than a cheerleader, though i am a really great one-on-one motivator. (I IS PULLING AHEAD)

the thing is, there are a lot of qualities which have been attributed to INFP that i don't have. for example, i have done much study into ethics and have certain values, but i don't have certain particular very strong causes, or a defined line in right vs wrong. i don't like sad things, or find a specialness in being sad beyond like 10 minutes of moping and a good excuse for ben and jerrys, and i've never really felt more than averagely misunderstood, isolated, broken, or defective. i'm comfortable in crowds and like being the center of attention. i'm also an adrenaline junkie. (BUT E IS SLIPPING UP FROM BEHIND)

first possibility, is, of course, that these attributions are off. (THEY ARE NECK-AND-NECK)

otherwise...
    maybe i am infp, and just very individual? (how infp of me)
    maybe i am enfp, and on the shy end of the bell curve?
    maybe i am xnfp, and should shut up and go to sleep?

(THE BATTLE RAGES)
    well, i should shut up and go to sleep.

thank you for your halp :]]] <3
    Last edited by skylights; 07-07-2010 at 03:49 AM. Reason: had to add battlescene drama because it's 4 am

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You're probably an ENFP.

I'm very borderline E/I, too, and it makes it even more confusing for me that I'm an Enneagram 4, which probably gives me more INFP-seeming traits that you seem to lack (you mention not being especially sad, never feeling more than averagely misunderstood, etc.).

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Hi Skylights

sounds more like you are an XNFP with a slight preference to E - but you don't have to shut up and go to sleep.

As an XNTP I understand exactly where you are coming from and am delighted that I can bring in either E or I as a natural effect dependent on the situation. I disagree with the pigeon-holing people tend to try when tested. There are degrees of Preference and we are so much more than a straight 1/16 dichotomy.

Having said that, I find type watching and administering the MBTI to those who are uncertain and not confident of their own talents a great way of pointing them in the direction of their own uniqueness rather than be unhappy trying to be/fit like everyone else.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

It sounds to me a bit more like ENFP too. Some things in your description just sound more ENFP than INFP to me, but on the other hand I don't really see something which would really speak AGAINST ENFP. ENFPs, from what I hear, tend to behave more introverted than the other E-types.

After all it is only a matter of what behaviour you show in a prefered way. Everyone can do everything the other types can do too, but they won't prefer doing so. So when you take your alone time, that doesn't mean that you are an I. When you say it makes you crazy to be alone more than a day than that sounds more E than I to me (although even I's don't necessarily want to be lonely forever).

And your unsureness about your values... that can in my opinion fit to both types. I as an INFP felt similarily about it when I started to get used to that MBTI stuff. The thing is, those values were so natural for me that it was something subconscious to me, I didn't have to think much about it and I wouldn't know instantly how to verbalize them. But I know they are there, and when I am in a situation where they are needed, I can find them. Like when you first had to learn to ride a bike and now you just do it without thinking about it, and then someone asks you how to ride a bike. Then you cannot really explain it either, you "just do it". (Sorry, I had to think now about a fitting example for some time and I didn't find anything better). Maybe it is similar to you?

Being comfortable in crowds and like to be center of attention sounds more ENFP than INFP, but well, it doesn't have to mean it I think. There are also INFPs which stand on the stage.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

thanks guys! i appreciate your ideas a lot. i think that i was thinking that since your i/e determines how your other preferences are ordered, i had to fall on the side of one or another. but i suppose in truth there's no reason why my nfp orientations can't be ambiguous too. eeeeenteresting. :]

oh and marmalade - good point!! i'm an enneagram 7w6, so that might account for some of this.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    thanks guys! i appreciate your ideas a lot. i think that i was thinking that since your i/e determines how your other preferences are ordered, i had to fall on the side of one or another. but i suppose in truth there's no reason why my nfp orientations can't be ambiguous too. eeeeenteresting. :]

oh and marmalade - good point!! i'm an enneagram 7w6, so that might account for some of this.
    You're a 7? Oh honey, you're an ENFP.

dude, you are such an enfp. But you make me smile! Your post is almost as hyper-ish and adorable as my first post.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

sooo. you thought you were an I, but not an infp.

infp=loser, and you're not a loser, right?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    sooo. you thought you were an I, but not an infp.

infp=loser, and you're not a loser, right?
    I don't think that's what OP meant.

Shit like this is why people don't want to be INFPs....

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I don't think that's what OP meant.

Shit like this is why people don't want to be INFPs....
    that's not what I meant. the only reason she would say that she's not an infp, despite thinking that she was an I and and NFP, was because of negative stereotypes, just like the ones listed in the OP:

there are a lot of qualities which have been attributed to INFP that i don't have. for example, i have done much study into ethics and have certain values, but i don't have certain particular very strong causes, or a defined line in right vs wrong. i don't like sad things, or find a specialness in being sad beyond like 10 minutes of moping and a good excuse for ben and jerrys, and i've never really felt more than averagely misunderstood, isolated, broken, or defective.

If this is how infp's are viewed by the world, I wouldn't want to be one either...