I'm going to add to the recent spate of S/N confusion threads and request that you, my sweet, dear readers, tell me whether you think I'm more ISTP or INTP. It's been suggested before on this forum that I kind of seem S-ish, so I thought I'd ask widely.
Since my last "type me! Please type me!" thread was a bomb (probably because I didn't include any detail and I'm not all that well known 'round these parts), I'm including a list for people to work with. And a poll. 'Cause I love polls. Keep in mind that some of the stuff I'm including will be pretty heavily reliant on stereotypes about the types, but there's really no getting around that using the forum-typing method. So forgive me if some of the things that I say sound stupid; I'm just trying to list anything I can think of to support the functions.
So, ISTP defense:
- I enjoyed and played a lot of sports when I was younger, and was known for being quite athletic and outdoorsy.
- I've been complimented before for my alertness and observational skills.
- I am quite impulsive and live, to a good degree, in the hear-and-now.
- I like to drive to relieve stress, and I drive faster and more aggressively than most people that I know.
- I can be quite crude and vulgar, and I have what is commonly referred to by large-hipped, uptight mother types as a "potty mouth."
- I have always had a problem with authority, though not to a large enough degree to make me a real criminal. The worst that I do is sometimes shoplift (mostly for the challenge) and fail to pay my traffic tickets (or parking tickets) or appear in court.
- I enjoy observing my surroundings when I'm out and about.
- I like observational drawing.
- I can often enjoy films purely for their aesthetic.
- I can sometimes take things a little literally.
- I like to fantasize and daydream. A lot. In fact, the fantasizing can be almost crippling.
- My students have complained about my manner of speaking being too abstract. In fact, a few of them even said that they wished I would put things in more concrete rather than "philosophical" terms.
- My interests are, and have always been, theoretical and conceptual in nature. That's why I went to grad school in the humanities.
- I have been called "quick witted" and "clever." I am good at banter and repartee, though I avoid getting too "silly." I like it when the banter is sarcastic and borderline-mean rather than whimsical.
- I wanted to be an inventor when I was a small child.
- I am clumsy and can get lost in thought. It's why I've been in two auto accidents - not paying attention.
- I am not in the least practical in my day-to-day life, though I like to think that I'm pretty good at giving practical advice.
- I spend most of my day coming up with different scenarios for my future and fantasizing about what it'd be like to be in those scenarios.
- I really do spend a good portion of each day thinking about type theories, and have done so for a good two years now (save a couple month period where I was bogged down with work and didn't have time to think about anything that I liked.)
Anyway, thanks in advance for helping me out.